• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Microsoft Poll

What character would you vote for?

• Banjo-Kazooie

Votes: 136 71.2%
  • Master Chief

Votes: 30 15.7%
  • Steve

Votes: 16 8.4%
  • Other (Specify)

Votes: 9 4.7%

• Total voters

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
If that's the case, then Banjo Kazooie is just Duck Hunt 2.0
Except Banjo-Kazooie has a totally different moveset from those two. The only thing they have in common is being a mammal and bird duo. Steve basically just plays like Villager but at a bigger level in terms of versatile.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Except Banjo-Kazooie has a totally different moveset from those two. The only thing they have in common is being a mammal and bird duo. Steve basically just plays like Villager but at a bigger level in terms of versatile.
But he doesn't... Steve can craft and place items... Villager can't do that...
Also, when did Villager ever swing a sword?

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
But he doesn't... Steve can craft and place items... Villager can't do that...
Also, when did Villager ever swing a sword>
You know you can get a Master Sword item, right? :p

But it's more how they both have similarities in general. They both are about collecting various items. You actually do craft in New Leaf by giving it to another person. They're more similar than Duck Hunt and Banjo & Kazooie, but still very distinct too. Plus, Steve and Villager are both Player Avatars.

Regardless, despite the similarities, they're still very distinct in their abilities and gameplay.

Technomage

Smash Champion
Steve can **** off tho. Minecraft as a stage and an AT is cool, but It doesn't need a fighter.
Yeah, Steve would be too boring as a character, and wouldn't be too unique (or that much different from the likes of Link or Marth).

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
After Piranha Plant I don't wanna hear anyone discrediting moveset potential. You can make a set out of any character, avatar or obstacle. IDGAF about Steve and NEVER played Minecraft, but he has a few directions he could go in.

Last edited:

Technomage

Smash Champion
After Piranha Plant I don't wanna hear anyone discrediting moveset potential. You can make a set out of any character, avatar or obstacle. IDGAF about Steve and NEVER played Minecraft, but he has a few directions he could go in.

Well then, care to mention any possibilities?

ccllr

Smash Cadet
I have a strong feeling that Banjo and Kazooie will be somehow in.
Maybe as characters, maybe as an AT, maybe as a spirit... but I could almost guarantee that both of them will be in.

I'd be happy if Master Chief makes it too, tho. But honestly he has far FAR less chances.

D

Deleted member

Just from playing an hour of Minecraft and getting nothing done but watching friends actually survive, I saw potential.

-Dig something out of the ground with his pickaxe. Either just dirt, stones, or an item.
-Potions, in which some can be thrown and cause a status or some can heal you.
-A bow and sword is definitely expected, but it doesn't have to be his main weapon. While in Minecraft, the sword is the primary weapon, in Smash Bros, he could just go in fists ablazed like any newbie in Minecraft would
-He can ride a boat and mine cart.
-People have mentioned fishing rods which could be his grab.
-You never really do this to my knowledge, but he can summon basic enemies like how Duck Hunt summons the Wild Gunman. So imagine him summoning a Creeper or Zombie as a potential zoning option. Hell, for a final smash he can summon the Enderdragon or that other boss I forgot the name of, which is something you actually do in Minecraft.
-He can eat and hunger is a mechanic in Minecraft relative to Animal Crossing.
-Most importantly, he can craft. That would be his biggest ability.

I can see him being sort of like Villager, but I don't think that's bad. Individually, we might have seen parallels to what I've listed, but together can make a very unique character. As someone who would rather play Terraria, I think Steve would add more to Smash Bros than subtract, and I do enjoy Minecraft's minimalist presentation

Last edited by a moderator:

Technomage

Smash Champion
Just from playing an hour of Minecraft and getting nothing done but watching friends actually survive, I saw potential.

-Dig something out of the ground with his pickaxe. Either just dirt, stones, or an item.
-Potions, in which some can be thrown and cause a status or some can heal you.
-A bow and sword is definitely expected, but it doesn't have to be his main weapon. While in Minecraft, the sword is the primary weapon, in Smash Bros, he could just go in fists ablazed like any newbie in Minecraft would
-He can ride a boat and mine cart.
-People have mentioned fishing rods which could be his grab.
-You never really do this to my knowledge, but he can summon basic enemies like how Duck Hunt summons the Wild Gunman. So imagine him summoning a Creeper or Zombie as a potential zoning option. Hell, for a final smash he can summon the Enderdragon or that other boss I forgot the name of, which is something you actually do in Minecraft.
-He can eat and hunger is a mechanic in Minecraft relative to Animal Crossing.
-Most importantly, he can craft. That would be his biggest ability.

I can see him being sort of like Villager, but I don't think that's bad. Individually, we might have seen parallels to what I've listed, but together can make a very unique character. As someone who would rather play Terraria, I think Steve would add more to Smash Bros than subtract, and I do enjoy Minecraft's minimalist presentation
Okay, I admit I was wrong about his moveset potential.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
In terms of what I want, Banjo. In terms of likeliness, Steve.

As much as I hate the idea of Steve in Smash, he's more relevant to kids nowadays. I despise Minecraft (and this is someone who used to love the game) and I absolutely hate the culture around it. Everything about it is downright horrible... but it's relevant, it's popular, and it's terraformed (no pun intended) the gaming industry into something different. Minecraft deserves rep because of how iconic it is, no matter how much I spit bile at the game and everything about it.

Banjo, however, is who I want in my heart of hearts. He was an N64 poster child and had a lot of relevance, and it was very unfairly lost. Unfortunately, as a long-time Banjo fan, I'm used to disappointment, and I have it firmly lodged in my mind that he's not happening. I'd love him in Smash, though. I'd kill for that.

Oneiros5321

Smash Apprentice
Conker is owned by Microsoft now right? I vote for him.

But yeah, that will never happen.

Tetrin

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7468-3675-9681
Steve: *has sword*

Everyone: uNORIGINAL!1!!11 LiNK ClONe1!!11! G E N E R I C sw ORDFIghTEr!1!!21

Steve having a sword doesn't automatically render him a Link clone. Anyone who's ever played Minecraft would know that if Steve were to be implemented, he'd probably make use of the trident, potions, TNT, ender pearls or elytras, shovels, fire charges, or potentially even spawn eggs for certain mobs. Also, judging a game by its community isn't really a fair assessment of the game itself, unless it's entirely multiplayer. In this case, Minecraft has single player options galore and I know that everyone here has at the very least played the game. Minecraft has a lot of things going for it, and I don't think people should be so quick to say it's terrible.

So naturally, my most wanted Microsoft rep is Master Chief.

3D Dillon

Smash Ace
With Steve being imminent, hopefully Nintendo knows how much more highly requested Banjo & Kazooie are so maybe they could save them for a more proper time than the Fighters Pass (if promotional purposes is their prime thing for that pass).

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Sure.

So while Villager and Isabelle's movesets weaponize a bunch of props and items from their games, Steve can take a shot at the "build anything" nature of Minecraft. Let him use things like pickaxes and swords, but give him the power to build obstacles and hazards to fight. It will be simplified of course, like a simple Kirby-sized block that acts as a temporary barrier that can be stacked to create a wall or bridge. Obviously it'll be destructible and despawns in a matter of seconds if left alone. He can crudely fortify himself and make it hard for foes to hurt him.

Then there's hazards. Have him create small hazards or pull out dangerous objects that can just be left lying on the ground; that'd make reaching him challenging. Not impossible of course, but difficult to reach in very skilled hands. Then throw items from the series in as part of his moveset and you'll have a very distinct fighter.

Steve: *has sword*

Everyone: uNORIGINAL!1!!11 LiNK ClONe1!!11! G E N E R I C sw ORDFIghTEr!1!!21

Steve having a sword doesn't automatically render him a Link clone. Anyone who's ever played Minecraft would know that if Steve were to be implemented, he'd probably make use of the trident, potions, TNT, ender pearls or elytras, shovels, fire charges, or potentially even spawn eggs for certain mobs. Also, judging a game by its community isn't really a fair assessment of the game itself, unless it's entirely multiplayer. In this case, Minecraft has single player options galore and I know that everyone here has at the very least played the game. Minecraft has a lot of things going for it, and I don't think people should be so quick to say it's terrible.

So naturally, my most wanted Microsoft rep is Master Chief.
I highly agree with you, but I do wanna point out I've never played Minecraft. Not even a demo; barely watched any gameplay on YouTube or elsewhere and I'm not interested in it. That said, I definitely see Steve's potential.

Technomage

Smash Champion
Sure.

So while Villager and Isabelle's movesets weaponize a bunch of props and items from their games, Steve can take a shot at the "build anything" nature of Minecraft. Let him use things like pickaxes and swords, but give him the power to build obstacles and hazards to fight. It will be simplified of course, like a simple Kirby-sized block that acts as a temporary barrier that can be stacked to create a wall or bridge. Obviously it'll be destructible and despawns in a matter of seconds if left alone. He can crudely fortify himself and make it hard for foes to hurt him.

Then there's hazards. Have him create small hazards or pull out dangerous objects that can just be left lying on the ground; that'd make reaching him challenging. Not impossible of course, but difficult to reach in very skilled hands. Then throw items from the series in as part of his moveset and you'll have a very distinct fighter.
Well, you win my challenge, though someone else already proved me wrong. ^^;

RealPokeFan11

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0818-9732-6979
Banjo is my third most wanted newcomer, and I would also love Cuphead. While I used to love Minecraft back in the day, Steve is better off as an assist trophy in my opinion. I just don't feel like he would fit in Smash, and his inclusion would get MANY people angry. I would love a stage or a boss from Minecraft though.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
> Steve wouldn't be unique

*laughs in blocky character model and unique items* "Link clone" yes because having a sword makes you a Link clone; are y'all really gonna judge based on fan mods? I guess Marth is a Link clone as well, then, if it's not the mods that make you come up with this excuse y'all pulled out of thin air...

Anyway, I'd love it if we got either Steve/a Creeper or Banjo-Kazooie; if I'm being honest, though, while I would prefer Banjo-Kazooie to get in first (though I still wouldn't mind Steve being in first), sometimes the Steve hate makes me wish Steve actually does get in first, especially with the poor excuses (wouldn't be unique/player avatar/whatever) and hate that seems to be based on Minecraft's fanbase (oh, shut up; if I were to judge every game based on its fanbase, I wouldn't love Pokemon as much as I do, like Undertale, a lot of other things, and oh, I wouldn't even love Smash Bros. Hundreds if not thousands of people would love Minecraft in Smash, especially with a playable Creeper or Steve, and I'm sick of the "Minecraft bad community!" and "Minecraft is dying!" crap, when those are obviously not the case).

Last edited:

Technomage

Smash Champion
and hate that seems to be based on Minecraft's fanbase (oh, shut up; if I were to judge every game based on its fanbase, I wouldn't love Pokemon as much as I do, like Undertale, a lot of other things, and oh, I wouldn't even love Smash Bros. Hundreds if not thousands of people would love Minecraft in Smash, especially with a playable Creeper or Steve, and I'm sick of the "Minecraft bad community!" and "Minecraft is dying!" crap, when those are obviously not the case).
Well for me, the fanbase has nothing to do with it; it's just that I don't think Steve is as worth the spot as Banjo is, nor do I want the former to get in before the latter.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Well for me, the fanbase has nothing to do with it; it's just that I don't think Steve is as worth the spot as Banjo is, nor do I want the former to get in before the latter.
I don't mind if people legitimately don't want Steve or don't like him, it's just when people use the word "hate" sometimes with extra stuff that makes it feel the way I described :S

Technomage

Smash Champion
I don't mind if people legitimately don't want Steve or don't like him, it's just when people use the word "hate" sometimes with extra stuff that makes it feel the way I described :S
Make sense. I don't really hate Steve, I just want Banjo; I don't care if we have to have both Steve and Banjo.

Top Bottom