• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Microsoft Poll

What character would you vote for?

• Banjo-Kazooie

Votes: 136 71.2%
  • Master Chief

Votes: 30 15.7%
  • Steve

Votes: 16 8.4%
  • Other (Specify)

Votes: 9 4.7%

• Total voters

Dee Dude

“Never ask Dee for anything again”
3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
In the hypothetical situation where Sakurai and his team visit Microsoft in a negotiation to include a playable character, they comply but create an official ballot for the fans to make a choice.

Last edited:

thirsty-pocket

Smash Ace
Anyone other than Banjo and Kazooie would feel wrong. Even Conker or the Battletoads over Banjo would feel wrong.

Miifighters4Smash5

Smash Journeyman
I Agree; It only makes sense for Characters who USED to belong to nintendo to at least appear alongside their former friends Who are still owned by the Big N at least ONCE before being locked away once again by microsoft for all eternity

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
I voted for Steve since he has the best chance to bring something unheard of to Smash.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
The only reason anyone cared about a Microsoft character getting in was because of Banjo Kazooie

Funktastic

Smash Apprentice
NNID
DaftBunk
Switch FC
SW 4808 1853 3785
I voted for Other (Specify), because Bill Gates needs to join the brawl.

Geassguy

Smash Journeyman
>Banjo & Kazooie and Master Chief:

Steve can **** off tho. Minecraft as a stage and an AT is cool, but It doesn't need a fighter.

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
I know I'm probably the only one, but I would prefer some Age of Empires representation over any of the above choices.
Why?
Simply because Age of Empires I and II are some of the games I grew up with, and I would be happy to get those games represented in some way.

Other than that, I have no attachment to any of the Microsoft characters...
Though having Microsoft in Smash would be interesting, it would be odd for a competitor to have their games represented in a Nintendo AAA game.

Back on Age of Empires, years ago I made a concept for a character, and I remember because it was a few months before the announcement of Smash 4.
I made a moveset for a character called Villager, from Age of Empires; then, Smash 4 was announced along with Villager as a newcomer! (it wasn't the same villager though :teeth:)
I considered a knight or some other warriors from the game, but I thought it would have been incredibly bland, and the villager would have been more funny.

since we are here, why not making a small sum of what the moveset consisted to?

-normal moves: The villager would use some of his tools from the game, such as a big bone, an hammer, a pickaxe and a spear (each move would use a different tool).
-specials: - They were slow but powerful. One of his specials would let him build a turret on the stage (it was very similar to the actual Villager's tree!); another move would allow him to create a catapult and move it through the stage by pulling/pushing it (it only lasted for 1 shot, and disappeared after the use, but it was also possible to push it over a ledge to attack people below by simply letting it fall down); another move (B neutral, copied by Kirby) was the villager dressing up like the priest and trying to "convert" the opponent. I never decided how the conversion would translate into Smash, I considered many option but I never fully decided; I can't remember what B+up was supposed to be, probably the catapult again, throwing you instead of the rock... but I'm not fond of using the same gimmick for 2 different moves.
-other: I remember that the Villager was able to transport players through the stage during his grabs, similar to Donkey Kong but faster: this was inspired by them being able to transport food when they farm or hunt. The final smash was the building of a wonder (in the foreground). The wonder would be as big as the stage, and many villagers would join the one you control. Each time the villagers' hammers would hit the ground while building, it would cause the whole stage to shake and deal damage/knockback to the other players (only if they are on land, though it lasts for a while so you can't stay in air forever).

EDIT: If Microsot will ever get involved with Smash, this will become one of my most wanted characters and I may even open a thread for it (though it would be another Roy vs Roy case, we already have a Villager in the game).

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Banjo-Kazooie.

History with Nintendo with strong ties and was literally one of the faces of the N64. It only makes sense. Steve and Master Chief has none of that.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Banjo > Master Chief >>>>>> Steve

Geassguy

Smash Journeyman
Banjo-Kazooie.

History with Nintendo with strong ties and was literally one of the faces of the N64. It only makes sense. Steve and Master Chief has none of that.
I don't deny that Banjo & Kazooie deserve it the most, they should be first, but Halo is iconic enough that it doesn't really need the history with Nintendo to be worthy. Not to mention it wouldn't be out of place, Halo is quite colorful and lighthearted for a game about shooting genocidal aliens. Too bad the DS Halo game fell through, but the fact that it was even in development says something.

Halo was the Star Wars of gaming at one point, people lined up around the block for midnight launches. It may not be big in japan but it is huge in EU and NA, and MC is one of the few characters left that could still blow people minds. MS and Nintendo are tighter than ever, so people talking about MC in Smash seriously shouldn't be surprising. Snake and Cloud have kinda made anything possible as far as a lot of people are concerned.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Banjo is in a very sad position. Originating as a Nintendo character then sold off to Microsoft before his possible debut in Smash Brothers. Banjo is like the lost sibling that was sold off from the family.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I don't deny that Banjo & Kazooie deserve it the most, they should be first, but Halo is iconic enough that it doesn't really need the history with Nintendo to be worthy. Not to mention it wouldn't be out of place, Halo is quite colorful and lighthearted for a game about shooting genocidal aliens. Too bad the DS Halo game fell through, but the fact that it was even in development says something.

Halo was the Star Wars of gaming at one point, people lined up around the block for midnight launches. It may not be big in japan but it is huge in EU and NA, and MC is one of the few characters left that could still blow people minds. MS and Nintendo are tighter than ever, so people talking about MC in Smash seriously shouldn't be surprising. Snake and Cloud have kinda made anything possible as far as a lot of people are concerned.
Maybe but I think Banjo-Kazooie are more likely anyways due to the high demand and how far they were up in the ballot. Both North America and Japan they're in the top 3. But hey good chance maybe we could get even both if lucky so win-win. :p

Personally though I think Master Chief at most might be a Mii Costume.

Last edited:

Graf von Tirol

Smash Cadet
I know I'm probably the only one, but I would prefer some Age of Empires representation over any of the above choices.
Why?
Simply because Age of Empires I and II are some of the games I grew up with, and I would be happy to get those games represented in some way.
I can imagine how the Priest would play, given that he's the face of the whole series.

Captain Shades

Smash Ace
I vote Steve he feels the most deserving

Master Chief is second, he has a lot of gaming history and was a huge staple in the gaming mascots of the 2000s and beyond era where big gaming mascots felt few and far between only really having him, Steve, Chell (Portal), and many Sony characters that obviously can’t be in Smash such as Rachet, Kratos, Sackboy, Jak, Sly, etc.
i’d Love for Master Chief to appear based on gaming history similar to Cloud or Snake, but I’m not holding my breath for a base pick, he feels more like DLC. It’d be cool to see him go against Samus and Snake, along with the potential Doom Guy.

Banjo would be 3rd, important, but more of a time period character rather than a big mascot. He feels like he represents the N64, granted I honestly believe Mario and Zelda represent better, but most see him as an N64 mascot. To me though, he doesn’t feel, well, special enough to have earned the title of a Smash character. He had two relatively big titles on one system then died after a 3rd entry and a few handheld titles no one remembers. Not many know him nowadays and really the cracks of the franchise and Rare itself are only shinning brighter each day with Yooka Laylee being held as an example that Banjo’s formula doesn’t work, at least not anymore. Really the only argument for Banjo I’ve seen is that he was once a Nintendo character, but that really doesn’t make him important to me. There are plenty of very big Nintendo characters easily more deserving of the title like Rayman who’s been a Nintendo centered franchise for around two decades now. I know he has fans and I hope they get their character, but he doesn’t feel unique or important enough to be a Smash character in my eyes.

As for Steve, what is there to say. His franchise is huge, bigger than the previous two in many ways.

Minecraft is one of the biggest gaming mile stones we’ve hit in the past decade. The game was one of if not the biggest indie success story in gaming history being huge for 3 years before the Microsoft buyout. It was a game that took a very niche genre being world builders and flipped it on its head over night, making it one of the biggest genres after its release. And most of all the game practically shaped gaming in this decade from the huge exposure indies are now getting from the YouTube communities (trend seekers) that were built from Minecraft, to the huge push for world builders or elements of it in recent titles, such as the building mechanics in the most popular game Fortnite (yes they admitted they looked at MC for this).

Minecraft has proved its worth in the gaming landscape, accomplishing so much in under 10 years, while still being huge and getting top sales even going into 2017 with the Nintendo Switch version. How many games can claim that the United Nations literally uses them for project planning.

I’ve seen some claim that Banjo is the reason we are talking about a Microsoft rep, but that really isn’t true. Minecraft was the first big collaboration between Nintendo and Microsoft in years as it was brought to the dying Wii U, then again for the Switch with crossplay between XBOX and Switch, something unheard of as usually console users can only play with people on their console or PC at best, but Minecraft is what got competing companies together. Verge also said MC content getting the ball rolling for a Microsoft rep.

I guess when I look at Smash characters, I think of it like this, are they iconic and have done enough to stand next to Mario, Sonic, Ryu, Pac-Man, and the gaming greats that basically anyone can recognize, even if its the franchise not the character. To me Steve is the one who most earned that position, he has accomplished and brought so much to gaming as a whole that he deserves his position. Master Chief is also up there for that reason, he was Microsoft’s mascot for a reason and he has done enough for first person shooters (being somewhat of the og multiplayer shooter) and even online play and the sci-fi part of gaming to earn his spot. Then Banjo, I don’t see it. While he’s not a bad character, he didn’t really do anything. He was just part of a genre that ultimately died after the next generation, while he died a generation before. Nothing he did really seemed to carry over to others as most just copied Mario or Sony’s more famous 3D platformers like Ratchet or Jak.

That’s just my opinion though. I’d personally want to see Minecraft get in the most as it was a big game for my generation and seems to continue that legacy going further. It’s also for gaming history purposes as Minecraft is a big franchises that has earned its place amongst Mario and the rest of the 3rd parties.

While I haven’t played Halo I respect its legacy and definitely want to see Master Chief join as one of the big icons from a rival company. Most of the big shooter franchises owe their popularity to Halo, like Destiny and even COD, so I’d love for it to be represented.

Banjo is one I’d accept to please fans, but not much else. I love 3D platformers, but I feel most owe more to Mario and Sony then Rare. I’ve never seen Banjo as a mascot for the genre, even going far as to say that even Spongebob has more of a presence in this genre than Banjo.

BrashCandicoot

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5129-0606-3457
Switch FC
SW-2362-2833-3327
Banjo & Kazooie. Even though I would love the other 2 to be in the game as well, Banjo fits the most into Smash.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Fulgore, easily. Beyond that, Steve? and Master Chief do sound like amazing options to me. Banjo & Kazooie are neat, but didn't really do much for me as games. Kind of hard to when they didn't really make the platformers feel super special compared to the rest out there. Still great games for their time, but they didn't like they made a giant impact in gaming as a whole compared to some others(Sonic, Mario, even Rayman & Rabbids separately stand out more right now). Honestly, Conker did more for me by being highly unique in its presentation.

jamesster445

Smash Lord
Banjo-Kazooie.

:ultsnake: Doesn't
:ultcloud: Matter

Smash has moved on from being just about Nintendo to being a celebration of gaming itself. When it brings in 3rd parties it's usually about bringing universally recognized characters. History with Nintendo be damned.

So yeah Chief. The father of console FPSes and a character who's more iconic than 90% of the current Smash roster. Chief also being a FPS mascot would have a unique moveset should the developers choose to pursue a playstyle similar to FPSes ie gunfire for all or most A attacks.

And if you're really going for a character from a rival company you may aswell go all in and get the literal mascot of the company.

Last edited:

Glaciacott

Smash Lord
Master chief is the only one from this group I wouldn't like, but that's in part because I just didn't get into Halo. If we wanted a high profile franchise from the 2000s I'd much rather see something from World of Warcraft.

Voted for Banjo since it's a character that was essentially Nintendo before life got in the way so he would just feel right. Steve I also wouldn't mind much given Minecraft is what it is to popular culture, though I would also be ok if Minecraft got representation without a character.
The ideal for me is Banjo Kazooie as a character, and Minecraft stages, items and assists (creeper), maybe even a boss.

ZelDan

Smash Master
I'm going to be that guy and vote Master Chief. I've actually played Halo games and never played B&K, so yeah....

That said I'd still take Banjo a 100 times over lame-ass Steve

EDIT: Huh, the word a** is censored here...

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I'm going to be that guy and vote Master Chief. I've actually played Halo games and never played B&K, so yeah....

That said I'd still take Banjo a 100 times over lame-*** Steve

EDIT: Huh, the word a** is censored here...
Yes, yes it is. Please don't try to censor the word yourself. Just spell it out as normal.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203

Smash has moved on from being just about Nintendo to being a celebration of gaming itself. When it brings in 3rd parties it's usually about bringing universally recognized characters. History with Nintendo be damned.

So yeah Chief. The father of console FPSes and a character who's more iconic than 90% of the current Smash roster. Chief also being a FPS mascot would have a unique moveset should the developers choose to pursue a playstyle similar to FPSes ie gunfire for all or most A attacks.

And if you're really going for a character from a rival company you may aswell go all in and get the literal mascot of the company.
Father of FPS's eh?

Hmmm...

Last I checked these two came before Master Chief...

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Whatever Sakurai decides though in the end is up to him regardless. It's his game after all I'll be bummed if Master Chief gets in rather then Banjo but will be happy for those that wanted him anyways. ;)

SIAD

Smash Rookie
Father of console FPSes is an important distinction.

He's father to an objectively inferior method of playing FPSes.
What? How could “the father of console FPSes” be from 2001 when Goldeneye had come out 6 years before, not to mention Doom 64, Perfect Dark, Medal of Honor, etc.

That’s like calling Alfred Hitchcock “the father of movies.”

SupriceSupplies

Smash Journeyman

I believe it's less the character itself, and moreso the franchise they come from what's important. Final Fantasy definitely has had presence on Nintendo consoles, most notably the first 6 mainline games. (And now 7, 9 and 10/10-2 as well, and if you count it, 15 pocket edition HD, although I suppose I needn't mention the project plan.) While Cloud's game definitely didn't appear on Nintendo consoles when he first was announced, he is arguably the most recognizable Final Fantasy character, making him the prime candidate.

Snake is a bit of a different story, I'll give you that, as it's most commonly released on Playstation to my knowledge. But prior to Brawl, Metal Gear has had appearances on the NES, GBC, and GC. (And 3DS now, as well.) It's not much, I'll admit. But it's something. (On top of that, Sakurai and Kojima are good friends, so that also might've played a role back during the Brawl days. But still, I will admit Snake's definitely the furthest away from the norm.)

Not saying Chief can't happen, of course. But I feel like Halo's lack of appearances on Nintendo consoles puts a damper on its chances of getting anything at all. And with Sakurai confirming the ballot being used for this game shortly after Simon and K. Rool's reveal, I feel like Banjo and Kazooie would be their highest priority. Not to mention Minecraft's enormous success on top of getting a Wii U release in late 2015. Even if we're not taking the ballot into account, I feel like Steve might beat Chief out due to that one factor.

Again, don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it's impossible, and I do feel like he'd bring some interesting stuff to the table, but I can't say I'm confident they'd go for Chief if they're negotiating with Microsoft while Minecraft exists and the ballot is being used. (Whether the latter will still be relevant for DLC however, remains to be seen.)

But anyway, I don't have much experience with Microsoft or Rare. The only games I can name that I've played related to either of them are Diddy Kong Racing and Minecraft. So yeah, my pick would probably be Steve, although he's pretty low on my third party wishlist. I'd be down for any kind of Minecraft content. I'll even take a Creeper AT or a regular trophy of bloody anything, because why not?

Last edited:

Klimax

Smash Ace
Banjo-Kazooie !
But where's Conker ?
These two are the only character that I would like to see from Microsoft. Or maybe Blinx !

SIAD

Smash Rookie
Banjo-Kazooie !
But where's Conker ?
These two are the only character that I would like to see from Microsoft. Or maybe Blinx !
As much as I’d love to see Conker, Fulgore, or even Joanna Dark get in, if they’re doing Rare characters Banjo would have to lead the way.

It would be hilarious to reveal Conker instead of Banjo, though. Maybe he could chainsaw his way through the Smash logo.

Last edited:

Captain Shades

Smash Ace

I completely agree, though I do think DLC is more likely.

With Microsoft we have to take into account that they are still a competitor, so the first character should be a middleman, a character that benefits both. I picked Steve for this very reason as Minecraft is huge on Nintendo and XBOX platforms, so no one is truly winning in this agreement as both would benefit pretty much equally from the inclusion. Now Master Chief is kind of the opposite, and same with Banjo. Master Chief is the literal mascot of Microsoft so his inclusion would be a huge advertisement for their consoles, removing Nintendo from the equation. On the other hand Banjo would be too Nintendo, he hasn’t been used by Microsoft in 10 years so they’d gain nothing but the same amount, maybe even less, cash for his inclusion, while Nintendo makes them look bad. (Remember when everyone went after Capcom for Mega Man’s reveal as Nintendo apparently treated him better, so the parent company had to deal with the hate getting thrown their way).

To add to your point though, Chief isn’t the father of FPS shooters, more like the giant online multiplayer ones, as fans literally made online for that game.

jamesster445

Smash Lord
Father of FPS's eh?

Hmmm...

Last I checked these two came before Master Chief...
Father of console FPSes is an important distinction.

He's father to an objectively inferior method of playing FPSes.
What? How could “the father of console FPSes” be from 2001 when Goldeneye had come out 6 years before, not to mention Doom 64, Perfect Dark, Medal of Honor, etc.

That’s like calling Alfred Hitchcock “the father of movies.”
Maybe I was a bit on the nose with The whole father of FPSes bit. However after Halo

- Most console shooters moved to a dual stick format.
- Most shooters utilize a regenerating health system.

That's not to say nothing of the multiplayer options it had or how Halo 2 basically set the standards of online infrastructures for consoles themselves.

My point is that Halo was an influential series in its genre, maybe one of the most influential. And because of that many people see Chief as the potential "Mr. FPS" rep.

Halo may not have been the father of FPSes but it was for a long time it was the king of FPSes... then Modern Warfare happened.

Nakeyjakey did an entire retrospective of the first 3 games basically going through what I said and more.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLyyH4qMB3Dx7fjDZQ5-L9L4lZUcGVIjkw

Also most likely is Steve. Why? Sakurai likes Minecraft.

Last edited:

Captain Shades

Smash Ace
Maybe I was a bit on the nose with The whole father of FPSes bit. However after Halo

- Most console shooters moved to a dual stick format.
- Most shooters utilize a regenerating health system.

That's not to say nothing of the multiplayer options it had or how Halo 2 basically set the standards of online infrastructures for consoles themselves.

My point is that Halo was an influential series in its genre, maybe one of the most influential. And because of that many people see Chief as the potential "Mr. FPS" rep.

Halo may not have been the father of FPSes but it was for a long time it was the king of FPSes... then Modern Warfare happened.

Nakeyjakey did an entire retrospective of the first 3 games basically going through what I said and more.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLyyH4qMB3Dx7fjDZQ5-L9L4lZUcGVIjkw

Also most likely is Steve. Why? Sakurai likes Minecraft.
Yeah, I agree. Halo was the big FPS to really set up the whole online multiplayer and style of play that many have today, including Call of Duty, Destiny, and others.

To Explain Steve For Me
Steve is up there with Master Chief which is why I said him. He’s the most successful indie and has the second highest selling game of all time. Minecraft is also a huge influencer in the world builder/ survival genre, literally being the face of it at this point, as it was a niche genre that was brought into the mainstream by the game.

There’s a plethora of other things MC has done, one of them being that it was used for reconstruction and designing of Urban neighborhoods by the literal United Nations, or how it has now been developed into a tool for STEM, but really the point is that MC has earned a huge spot in gaming history, so Steve should be in as a representative of world builders, indies, and just gaming in general.

Miifighters4Smash5

Smash Journeyman
As much as I’d love to see Conker, Fulgore, or even Joanna Dark get in, if they’re doing Rare characters Banjo would have to lead the way.

It would be hilarious to reveal Conker instead of Banjo, though. Maybe he could chainsaw his way through the Smash logo.
NO WAY!!! that would turn Smash from Rated E10+ to M!!!

Sirfishe

Smash Ace
both masterchief and banjoe would make reasonable choices. banjoe and long lost icon for Nintendo that hasn't had any games in the last decade. Has been requested for so long that really it's now his time to join the roster. I believe he deserves to join in as much as any Microsoft character.

Just like how Mario is the face of Nintendo, masterchief is the face/mascot of Microsoft in general. he is their flagship character. if you were to truly represent Microsoft, it has to be masterchief. no question. Plus we don't have a character that represents first person shooters and chief is perfect

Last edited:
Top Bottom