• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Microsoft Announces the Acquisition of Bethesda

Microsoft_buys_Bethesda.jpg

This Monday in a press release, Microsoft announced that it would be acquiring ZeniMax Media, the parent company of the game publisher Bethesda, for $7.5 billion. This deal will give Microsoft control over several massive, genre-defining series such as Fallout, Doom, Wolfenstein, and the Elder Scrolls games, and assist in the development of subsequent installments. The inner structure of Bethesda will remain the same with this new change in leadership, but will be overseen by Microsoft. Because of this deal, Bethesda games can be included in the Xbox Game Pass, and could potentially be Xbox exclusive in the future with the release of the Xbox Series X on November 10th, 2020.

Microsoft acquired Obsidian Games on November 10th, 2018 (the team behind Fallout: New Vegas). Since Microsoft now owns both Obsidian Games and Bethesda, a sequel to New Vegas a decade after the release of the original game is possibly on the horizon.

Authors Note: I’m optimistic for the results of what this deal will bring for years to come, but what are your thoughts? Let us know in the comments.

Credits:
Editing:
@Thirdkoopa , @Scribe
Graphics: @Zerp

UtopianPoyzin

Comments

I wonder how this purchase will effect Smash discussion among the topic of who could be the next Microsoft rep. I feel like Master Chief vs Doom Slayer debates will be more heated now as well as any Microsoft vs Microsoft character debates.

Last edited:
I wonder how this purchase will effect Smash discussion among the topic of who could be the next Microsoft rep. I feel like Master Chief vs Doom Slayer debates will be more heated now as well as any Microsoft vs Microsoft character debates.
Yeah, I haven't really considered how this would effect the chances of a Bethesda rep. Knowing that Nintendo as worked with Microsoft time and time again, it seems like it would boost the likelihood of one. And at the same time, we got Vault Boy as a Mii Fighter costume back when Bethesda was solo. I still think that Doom Slayer is probably the likelier option, but only time will tell.

Yeah, I haven't really considered how this would effect the chances of a Bethesda rep. Knowing that Nintendo as worked with Microsoft time and time again, it seems like it would boost the likelihood of one. And at the same time, we got Vault Boy as a Mii Fighter costume back when Bethesda was solo. I still think that Doom Slayer is probably the likelier option, but only time will tell.
I feel like Master Chief will make it in over Doom Slayer, but it's not impossible we could potentially get them both. After all, the fighters in Fighter's Pass 2 was decided quite awhile before Microsoft officially acquired Bethesda.

Last edited:
Had this been the old Microsoft, I'd be disappointed as ****.
But considering Microsoft hasn't been hoarding Minecraft all to themselves after acquiring Mojang, I have hope that this changes nothing but the name on the Copyright.

Top Bottom