• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Michigan Melee Social Thread and Power Rankings

CTL17

Smash Lord
As time goes on, it's natural to have more and more inactive mentions. We don't axe presidents from the past presidents list just because we're reaching 40 some presidents.

CTL17

Smash Lord
I suppose all previously PRed people should be mentioned somewhere, regardless of how they would do now.

Last edited:

Shibbypod

BIM
Slippi.gg
SHIB#55
I don't care if I am mentioned or not, the inactive list is 100% irrel. I mean, if you ask me, Dope should be on it. Seriously, why the * isn't Dope on it when he was the best in MI for like 8 years circa 2009?

Edit: Right now this statement describes our inactive mentions.
"This is a list of players who Juggleguy thinks could compete with today's PR but don't play with the scene anymore."

Not that he has selected poorly, because all of the players he mentions are inactive players of high caliber. But to be honest, I didn't even get a say on the inactive list when I was on the panel.

Last edited:

Shibbypod

BIM
Slippi.gg
SHIB#55
Then how do we determine inactive mentions? How does someone get inactive mention, then have it revoked the following term? Did Soul become TOO inactive to be an inactive mention?

tm

Smash Ace
1/2 of the 'inactives' and current PR only exist because other members became inactive lol. Eventually all the decent players will have been on the PR at some point ;)

SonuvaBeach

Smash Lord
It's a freakin inactive list. Most other regions/PR's don't even have one. Ours only exists because MI has always had good players going in and out of activity & MI players want to be always be able to say "but look, if these inactives were active, we'd be stronger!"

The reality is that those players are on the inactive list because they rarely attend tournaments and are therefore not MI threats. Instead of fighting about who qualifies as "inactive" we could just remove it altogether. Stops the debate and the people who really deserve to be mentioned, are. Inactives will always be mentioned in the archives of previous PRs.

S1 The God

Feeding the streets since 1885
I WOULD LIKE TO BE CONSIDERED AS AN INACTIVE MEMBER OF MICHIGANS ESTEEMED POWER RANKINGS

QUALIFICATIONS

1. I EAT ASS
2. PROJECT M SUCKS SO BAD
C. YALL REMEMBER WARLOCK DON? LMAO
5. PITTSBURGH PITTSBURGH PITTSBURGH PITTSBURGH PITTSBURGH
6. THE CHANT IS PITTSBURGH
7. THE BRAGGING RIGHTS ARE HERE

5heep

Smash Rookie
When your at a michigan tournament and you and some guy walks by smelling like weed and everybody's just like

Last edited:

5heep

Smash Rookie
But really tho ive noticed this at every single Michigan tournament ive been to and half the time its really awkward because the venue is a kids go kart and arcade place.

Last edited:

ZeroToDeath

Smash Rookie
I don't think that really changes if you leave Michigan and go to other states. I'm pretty sure there's just a large sect of Smashers in every state who smoke down in the parking lot.

...We just have players better known for it.

5heep

Smash Rookie
I don't think that really changes if you leave Michigan and go to other states. I'm pretty sure there's just a large sect of Smashers in every state who smoke down in the parking lot.

...We just have players better known for it.
I wonder what Colorado tournaments are like lol

Jermesque

Smash Apprentice
Speaking of inactives....

SE MI Weeklies/Bi-weeklies/monthlies? Does anyone host anything nowadays? I was garbage like 10 years ago, and I've got the itch to be garbage again.

EDIT: I joined the FB group. Roy is coming to a town near you.

Last edited:

Edg

Smash Cadet
Looking for a roomate in the davison/genesee area - would nice to live with another smasher. The place is super nice, half of rent would be around 600/mo with all utilities included. I'm at most tourneys if you ever wanna talk about it drop me a pm. i live here: http://www.lionsgatedavison.com/

edit: lol at the sig, 15 year old me rules

Last edited:

tm

Smash Ace
Michigan Melee
Power Ranking

Panelists: FendrickLamar, Ginger, NJA, SonuvaBeach, and tm
Panel Overseer: 2Shadez

Last updated: April 30th, 2015​

The Michigan Melee Power Ranking is a roster of the strongest and most competitive Melee players in the state. We hope that this power ranking can motivate up-and-coming Smashers to attend more tourneys and improve, and that the player directory can help organize the community as well as benefit everyone in Michigan overall.

Player rankings during this period are primarily based off of bracket wins and losses during this season, with a slight reward for higher tournament attendance to encourage activity. The previous season is a small factor, but pools, doubles, moneymatches, and friendlies are not weighted at all in the PR.

Power Ranking
1. Duck - West Bloomfield :samusmelee: +0
2. KJH - Detroit :foxmelee: +2
3. Kalamazhu - Ann Arbor :peachmelee: -1
4. Juggleguy - Ann Arbor :falconmelee::marthmelee:+2
5. Ginger - Holland :falcomelee: +2
6. Beach - Howell :sheikmelee: -1
7. tm - Toledo :ganondorfmelee: +3
8. Blake - Kalamazoo :foxmelee: *returning*
9. Hellsing - Utica :marthmelee: -1
10. Soul - Detroit :foxmelee::falcomelee: *returning*

Honorable Mentions (alphabetical order)
JU4N - East Lansing :falcomelee:
NJA - Holland :peachmelee:
Paper - Westland :sheikmelee:
Skigh - Flint :samusmelee:
zbet - Kalamazoo :falcomelee::foxmelee:

These players perform well and have defeated some ranked players in tourney, but are just outside the top ten in our opinion.

Inactive Mentions (alphabetical order)
Anther - Ann Arbor :pikachumelee::falcomelee:
Bigy - South Haven :falconmelee::linkmelee:
Shady - Lansing :marthmelee:
Shaeden - Farmington Hills :falcomelee:
Vaccine - Bloomfield Hills :falcomelee::sheikmelee:

These players were strong contenders before becoming inactive, and would likely be ranked or honorably mentioned if still active today.

Notes

Ranking Criteria
1. Notable wins and losses vs mutual opponents
2. Performance vs out-of-state competition
3. Head-to-head records in brackets
4. Previous ranking influence
5. Our personal opinion

Things Not Considered
* Doubles performance
* Tournament placings
* Friendlies
* Moneymatches

Ranking Eligibility
* Residency in Michigan for the majority of the regular calendar year (at least 6 months per year)
* Active status as a tournament entrant. During a ranking period, a player must enter Melee Singles in at least four tournament this period
* The Toledo, Ohio melee scene is considered a part of the Michigan scene and is therefore eligible for the PR as of April 27th, 2015

Tournament Eligibility
* At least 25 entrants
* At least 3 ranked or mentioned players

Last edited:

Napkin

Smash Cadet
Just to clarify, pools aren't counted either, correct?

Last edited:

tm

Smash Ace
Just to clarify, pools aren't counted either, correct?
The previous season is a small factor, but pools, doubles, moneymatches, and friendlies are not weighted at all in the PR.
Correct.
edit: I see there was an inconsistency in the list of criteria. Fixed on my post but it will still be wrong on the front page. Apologies

Last edited:

Stif

Smash Apprentice
So now that KJH is higher than Kalamazhu does that mean he'll be MIOM ranked?
IMO KJH has gotta do a little better this year at majors than in the previous years. A lot of Kzhu's ranking was becuase of EVO and Big House not the MI scene. KJH started good with Apex though, it'll all depend on the big summer majors.

rustymon

Smash Rookie
Does anybody know if there are regularly scheduled melee tourneys (weeklies, bi-weeklies, etc.) in the Grand Rapids area? I don't think I can get a ride to tourneys out of the area or at least around the area.

Last edited:

tm

Smash Ace
Michigan Melee
Power Ranking

Panelists: Beach, Ginger, JU4N, MB-Smash, and tm
Last updated: October 13th, 2015​

The Michigan Melee Power Ranking is a roster of the strongest and most competitive Melee players in the state. We hope that this power ranking can motivate up-and-coming Smashers to attend more tourneys and improve, and that the player directory can help organize the community as well as benefit everyone in Michigan overall.

Player rankings during this period are primarily based off of bracket wins and losses during this season, with a slight reward for higher tournament attendance to encourage activity. The previous season is a small factor, but pools, doubles, moneymatches, and friendlies are not weighted at all in the PR.

Power Ranking
1. Duck - West Bloomfield :samusmelee: +0
2. KJH - Detroit :foxmelee: +0
3. Ginger - Holland :falcomelee: +2
4. Juggleguy - Ann Arbor :falconmelee: +0
5. tm - Toledo :ganondorfmelee: +2
6. Beach - Howell :sheikmelee: +0
7. Paper - Westland :sheikmelee: *new*
8. MB-Smash - Toledo :sheikmelee: *new*
9. Hellsing - Utica :marthmelee: +0
10. Russell - Rochester :foxmelee: *new*

Honorable Mentions (alphabetical order)
Butch G - Ann Arbor :peachmelee:
Criphood - Mt. Pleasant :jigglypuffmelee:
The Oak - Lansing :jigglypuffmelee:
Quang - South Lyon :icsmelee:
Yoyo - Ann Arbor :luigimelee:

These players perform well and have defeated some ranked players in tourney, but are just outside the top ten in our opinion.

Inactive Mentions (alphabetical order)
Anther - Ann Arbor :pikachumelee:
Bigy - South Haven :falconmelee::linkmelee:
Blake - Kalamazoo :foxmelee:
Shady - Lansing :marthmelee:
Shaeden - Farmington Hills :falcomelee:
Vaccine - Bloomfield Hills :falcomelee::sheikmelee:

These players were strong contenders before becoming inactive, and would likely be ranked or honorably mentioned if still active today.

Notes

Ranking Criteria
1. Notable wins and losses vs mutual opponents
2. Performance vs out-of-state competition
3. Head-to-head records in brackets
4. Previous ranking influence
5. Our personal opinion

Things Not Considered
* Doubles performance
* Tournament placings
* Friendlies
* Moneymatches

Ranking Eligibility
* Residency in Michigan for the majority of the regular calendar year (at least 6 months per year)
* Active status as a tournament entrant. During a ranking period, a player must enter Melee Singles in at least one tournament per months for that period (this period was 5 months, so 5 tournaments were required)
* The Toledo, Ohio melee scene is considered a part of the Michigan scene and is therefore eligible for the PR as of April 27th, 2015

Tournament Eligibility
* At least 25 entrants
* At least 3 ranked or mentioned players
* Weekday tournaments were not included

Last edited:

sidft

Smash Rookie
Hey guys, new to the Michigan smash scene and I was hoping to find a crew to train with. My buddy and I are serious about getting into the competitive scene, and my searching has led me here. Detroit area preferred, although we can drive about an hour or two if we have to.

tm

Smash Ace
Hey guys, new to the Michigan smash scene and I was hoping to find a crew to train with. My buddy and I are serious about getting into the competitive scene, and my searching has led me here. Detroit area preferred, although we can drive about an hour or two if we have to.
You're in a good spot. There are lots of events in the Ann Arbor & Howell area, which aren't too far. This facebook group should be your go-to for this kind of stuff, as the boards are kind of dead.

Nutsack

Smash Rookie
we have a small crew on the grosse pointe / detroit border area if youre down to play ever. need new practicing partners

One Punch Derk

Smash Cadet
Hey, I'm trying to get into the scene. I live in Ypsilanti (near EMU). Does anyone know of any regular weeklies happening on Sundays or Wednesdays around Ann Arbor /Ypsilanti? I've tried looking on the FB group page, but I may have overlooked it.

Last edited:

tm

Smash Ace
I believe there will be Wednesday weeklies at the University of Michigan's Student Union during the spring semester. Events probably aren't up yet.

Top Bottom