• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Michigan Ball Z-Jan 23-Waterford MI MELEE CONFIRMED

Boxxy

Smash Lord
Alright, I'm going to try to run a tournament at my church with the help of Ori and Ham. At this point, I'm only planning on running only brawl seeing that it's my first tourney and I don't want to screw anything up. If enough people want melee, I'll be willing to have it, but I'll need help running it.

EDIT

WE ARE OFFICALLY HAVING MELEE

Where?
Community Presbyterian Church 4301 Monroe Street, Waterford MI 48329
http://www.mapquest.com/maps?city=W...2.684335&longitude=-83.373281&geocode=ADDRESS
This will be in the basement of the church. Fliers will be up to lead you to the place. We should have plenty of tables and seats. IMPORTANT FOR PARKING! Park in the parking lot across from Coats funeral home. Other enterance will be locked!

Times
Venu opens: 11 am
Brawl Doubles: 12:30pm
Brawl Singles will start when we are 75% done with doubles

We might hold pools if there are enough people that show up (32 or more) not 100% how the pools will be run at this moment. If we do hold pools, we will have pools before Brawl Doubles.

Costs
$5 Venu fee
$10 Brawl Singles fee
$10 Brawl Doubles fee (per person)
Pay out is
1st 60%
2nd 30%
3rd 10%

WE DO NEED WIIS, TVS, GAMES, AND POWER STRIPS. If you bring a full set up (wii+tv and copy of brawl/TV+cube/wii and melee) then the venu fee will be removed. If you bring either a wii with brawl or just a TV the fee will be reduced to $3.

BRAWL
Rules
3 Stock
8 minute timer
Items are set to "off" and "none"
All sets with the exception of winner's finals, loser's finals, and the championship are best of 3 matches (best of 5 and above should be played out for any "finals" matches)
In the event of a dispute, controller ports will be selected by Rock-Paper-Scissors
No player may choose a stage they have already won on in that set unless agreed upon by both players.
In team matches, the ports will be determined in a 1221 fashion; whoever wins the RPS will choose first, then the opposing team will get their ports, and then the teammate of the RPS winner will get the last port.
If the timer runs out, the victor is determined first by stock and then by percentage.
Metaknight's Infinite Cape glitch is banned.
If a game ends with Bowser doing his suicide klaw and it ends in sudden death, the sudden death will be ignored and that game will count as a win for Bowser.
You are responsible for your own controller and name tag. Any malfunctions or errors that occur are your responsibility, so bring an extra controller if possible and always check to make sure you're using the correct settings BEFORE a match is played. If a match is to be restarted due to controller functions, it must be agreed upon by both parties.
Any action that can prevent the game from continuing (i.e., freezing, disappearing characters, game reset, etc.) will result in a forfeit of that match for the player that initiated the action. You are responsible for knowing your own character, and must be wary about accidentally triggering one of these effects.
Stalling is banned.
Team attack is set to ON for doubles
Life stealing is allowed for doubles

Stalling: The act of deliberately avoiding any and all conflict so that one may make the game unplayable. Running away from an opponent to reach a better position is not stalling, while doing an infinite grab endlessly against a wall is. Any infinite chain grabs must end quickly after 300% has been reached so as to prevent excessive stalling.

Procedure
1. Opponents choose their characters for the first match (Double blind character selection may be called for the first match)
2. The First Stage is chosen
3. Each player may announce one stage to be banned for counterpicks of the set
4. The first game is played, using the stage chosen during step 2
5. The loser of the previous match announces the next match's stage from either the Starter Stage List or the Counter Stage List
6. The winner of the previous match chooses their character
7. The loser of the previous match chooses their character
8. Repeat steps 5-7 for all proceeding matches

Stage list
Starter
Battlefield
Final Destination
Smashville
Yoshi's Island
Pokemon Stadium 1

Counter
Castle Siege
Halberd
Lylat Cruise
Brinstar
Delfino
Frigate Orpheon
Jungle Japes (maybe)
Pictochat
Rainbow Cruise
Norfair

All other stages are banned. Any stage is playable if all players agree to it.

MELEE
Venue Fee: $5
Singles: $10
Teams: $10 per person

Payout
1st: 60%
2nd: 30%
3rd: 10%

4 Stock
8 Minute timer
Items are set to "off"
Team Attack ON for teams
Wobbling is allowed
Ice Climbers Freeze Glitch is banned
Techniques such as Jigglypuff's rising pound or Peach's wall bomber are permitted only for recovery purposes, but banned for any stalling purposes.

-No player may choose a stage they have already won on in that set unless agreed upon by both players

-Players may choose to have a double-blind pick for the first match (telling someone what character they'll be picking that is not their opponent), Basically how this works is you have a person not playing come over and you tell them who you will be picking, then after that your opponent will tell the same person who they will be picking, after this both player will pick the character they have said to the agreed personel. Failure to pick the character they were supposed to will result in a forfeit of match one.

-Controller Port disputes are settled via Rock Paper scissors. In team matches, the ports will be determined in a 1221 fashion; whoever wins the RPS will choose first, then the opposing team will get their ports, and then the teammate of the RPS winner will get the last port.

-Any action that can prevent the game from continuing (i.e., freezing, disappearing characters, game reset, etc.) will result in a forfeit of that match for the player that initiated the action. You are responsible for knowing your own character, and must be wary about accidentally triggering one of these effects.

-Players are allowed to ban ONE stage before the first match. Whether it be neutral or a counterpick stage is up to them.

-After match one. The loser will pick their counter-pick stage. immediately after the winner will choose their character. and then the loser can choose theirs. The winner cannot switch upon seeing the loser's character selection.

-"Coaching" (the act of telling a friend what to do in a tournament situation) is not allowed DURING a match. You can however give them advice inbetween matches (like where to counterpick, what they're doing wrong, etc.).

Starter Stages:
Dream Land: Fountain of Dreams (not in teams)
Kanto: Pokemon Stadium
Past Stages: Dream Land
Special Stages: Final Destination
Special Stages: Battlefield
Yoshi's Island: Yoshi's Story

Counter Stages:
Mushroom Kingdom: Rainbow Cruise
Dream Land: Green Greens (not in teams)
DK Island: Jungle Japes
F-Zero Grand Prix: Mute City (not in teams)
Kanto Skies: Poke Floats
Lylat System: Corneria
Planet Zebes: Brinstar
Past Stages: Kongo Jungle

Not 100% what time the venu will close, so times might change to earler or later times depending on this. If you know you'll be late to something (especailly signups) be sure to call or text me and if you cant get a hold of me (phone seems to be messing up a bit lately) be sure to call/text either Ori or Ham because we cannot let this run late or we run the risk of not being able to use this venu again.

Boxxy's cell: 248-202-2609
Ori's cell: 248-494-0368
Ham's cell: 248-829-2001

There is free parking in the big parking lot and we will be selling some food and pop/waters. If you plan to smoke or something, do it in the parking lot. I'll probably run another tourney in aprilish if this runs smoothly.

Ori_bro

ignite the fire
1st cant wait will try to request work off that day.
and its only 20 minutes from me nice

IrisKong

Smash Lord
Alright, I'm going to try to run a tournament at my church with the help of Ori and Ham. At this point, I'm only planning on running only brawl seeing that it's my first tourney and I don't want to screw anything up. If enough people want melee, I'll be willing to have it, but I'll need help running it.

Where?
Community Presbyterian Church 4301 Monroe Street, Waterford MI 48329
http://www.mapquest.com/maps?city=W...2.684335&longitude=-83.373281&geocode=ADDRESS
This will be in the basement of the church. Fliers will be up to lead you to the place. We should have plenty of tables and seats.

Times
Venu opens: 11 am
Brawl Doubles: 12:30pm
Brawl Singles will start when we are 75% done with doubles

We might hold pools if there are enough people that show up (32 or more) not 100% how the pools will be run at this moment. If we do hold pools, we will have pools before Brawl Doubles.

Costs
$5 Venu fee
$10 Brawl Singles fee
$10 Brawl Doubles fee (per person)
Pay out is
1st 60%
2nd 30%
3rd 10%

WE DO NEED WIIS, TVS, GAMES, AND POWER STRIPS. If you bring a full set up (wii+tv and copy of brawl) then the venu fee will be removed. If you bring either a wii with brawl or just a TV the fee will be reduced to $3.

Rules
3 Stock
8 minute timer
Items are set to "off" and "none"
All sets with the exception of winner's finals, loser's finals, and the championship are best of 3 matches (best of 5 and above should be played out for any "finals" matches)
In the event of a dispute, controller ports will be selected by Rock-Paper-Scissors
No player may choose a stage they have already won on in that set unless agreed upon by both players.
In team matches, the ports will be determined in a 1221 fashion; whoever wins the RPS will choose first, then the opposing team will get their ports, and then the teammate of the RPS winner will get the last port.
If the timer runs out, the victor is determined first by stock and then by percentage.
Metaknight's Infinite Cape glitch is banned.
If a game ends with Bowser doing his suicide klaw and it ends in sudden death, the sudden death will be ignored and that game will count as a win for Bowser.
You are responsible for your own controller and name tag. Any malfunctions or errors that occur are your responsibility, so bring an extra controller if possible and always check to make sure you're using the correct settings BEFORE a match is played. If a match is to be restarted due to controller functions, it must be agreed upon by both parties.
Any action that can prevent the game from continuing (i.e., freezing, disappearing characters, game reset, etc.) will result in a forfeit of that match for the player that initiated the action. You are responsible for knowing your own character, and must be wary about accidentally triggering one of these effects.
Stalling is banned.
Team attack is set to ON for doubles
Life stealing is allowed for doubles

Stalling: The act of deliberately avoiding any and all conflict so that one may make the game unplayable. Running away from an opponent to reach a better position is not stalling, while doing an infinite grab endlessly against a wall is. Any infinite chain grabs must end quickly after 300% has been reached so as to prevent excessive stalling.

Procedure
1. Opponents choose their characters for the first match (Double blind character selection may be called for the first match)
2. The First Stage is chosen
3. Each player may announce one stage to be banned for counterpicks of the set
4. The first game is played, using the stage chosen during step 2
5. The loser of the previous match announces the next match's stage from either the Starter Stage List or the Counter Stage List
6. The winner of the previous match chooses their character
7. The loser of the previous match chooses their character
8. Repeat steps 5-7 for all proceeding matches

Stage list
Starter
Battlefield
Final Destination
Smashville
Yoshi's Island
Pokemon Stadium 1

Counter
Castle Siege
Halberd
Lylat Cruise
Brinstar
Delfino (moved from S/C)
Frigate Orpheon
Jungle Japes
Pictochat
Pirate Ship
Pokémon Stadium 2
Rainbow Cruise
Norfair

All other stages are banned. Any stage is playable if all players agree to it.

Not 100% what time the venu will close, so times might change to earler or later times depending on this. If you know you'll be late to something (especailly signups) be sure to call or text me and if you cant get a hold of me (phone seems to be messing up a bit lately) be sure to call/text either Ori or Ham because we cannot let this run late or we run the risk of not being able to use this venu again.

Boxxy's cell: 248-202-2609
Ori's cell: 248-494-0368
Ham's cell: 248-829-2001

There is free parking in the big parking lot and we will be selling some food and pop/waters. If you plan to smoke or something, do it in the parking lot. I'll probably run another tourney in aprilish if this runs smoothly.
sooo many counter picks...ill probably show up for this.

Boxxy

Smash Lord
lol i forgot to take out Pokemon Stadium2, Pirate ship, and debating on japes

Boxxy

Smash Lord
:(

That weekend is my only completly free weekend due to finals being over

What's The Point

Smash Master
If you have Norfair, you keep Japes and add PS2. If you are going to go as far as Norfair into the janky stages, may as well include the stuff leading up to it.

I also think a top 5 payout is better, because there is way more competition for 3rd-5th than 1st-3rd.

Boxxy

Smash Lord
If you have Norfair, you keep Japes and add PS2. If you are going to go as far as Norfair into the janky stages, may as well include the stuff leading up to it.
Hm. I'll talk it over and see what we wanna do with that.

I also think a top 5 payout is better, because there is way more competition for 3rd-5th than 1st-3rd.
Oops lol I forgot to add that some where, but I wasn't 100% sure on what the payout is. Pretty sure we will use that if we get enough people to come.

Gates

Banned via Warnings
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhJwOx1LXmA

Breaking through the shining fox
I'm gonna DI away
Spreading through my controller
Feel the power through my thumbs
Kicked in the face, Omni is mad
As a fart brigade
Can't you feel him telling everyone that they blow
If lain ever buried a dinosaur in a mound of icicles
I would wanna train it to drink with Judge

Cha-La Head Cha-La
No matter, if ever anything could happen
Nothing can stop MI now
Cha-La Head-Cha La
Oh, Anther's pika just keep sparkling up like a ball of flame
Oh yes, that little rat, sparking!

EDIT: Japanese lyrics

輝くキツネを突破
私つもりだ DI Away
私のコントローラを介して拡散
私の親指を介してフィールの消費電力
の顔を蹴り、Omni 怒っている
おなら旅団として
ていないあなたは彼の誰もが手応えのある一撃感じることができます
もし lain までつららのマウンドで恐竜の埋葬
私 Judge で酒を飲むに列車したいと思う

Cha-La Head Cha-La
に関係なく、もし今まで何が起こる可能性が
もう何もミシガンを停止することができます
Cha-La Head Cha-La
ああ、Anther's ピカチュウだけが炎のボールのような輝きを維持
ああ、あの小さなネズミ、Sparking

EDIT 2: English Retranslation of Japanese Translation

Shiny brown mark
I'm going DI Away
I spread through the controller
Look through the power of my thumb
Kicked in the face, Omni angry
A fart brigade
You can not find anyone telling blow his
If dinosaur lain buried in the mound of icicles to
Judge I want to train with drinking

Cha-La Head Cha-La
Regardless, nothing could ever happen if
Michigan can no longer stop
Cha-La Head Cha-La
Oh, Anther's keep the shine just like a ball of flames Pikachu
Oh, the little rat, Sparking

Boxxy

Smash Lord
Mmm tournament right down the street? I like

edit - brawl? i dont like :[
like it says, if you guys can get enough people i'd be fine with melee, but I dont want to start off with it cause it's my first tourney

Ori_bro

ignite the fire
imma throw this out there who wants to do dubs?

my recent dubs placings if u guys care
LoLiS 1 - 9th beating dope and sliq
LoLiS 2 - 7th beating tyr and ankoku
LoLiS 4 - 9th beating no one worth mentioning
LoLiS 5 - 5th almost beat lain/omni and panda/blue rouge

bigdaddy? L_? anyone?

Gates

Banned via Warnings
I will be here, we should all enter as dbz characters =D
That could be confusing though since we have 2 Gohans (Sauce and Dingdong), 2 Buus (Ori and WTP), and I think multiple other characters too. If I start using a tag again though, I'll definitely enter as Krillin.

Boxxy

Smash Lord
IMPORTANT FOR PARKING! Park in the parking lot across from Coats funeral home. Other enterance will be locked!

Xyless

Smash Master
Hopefully will be going. +1 for Melee if so. I can also bring a Wii (maybe a setup) with all of the different Brawls if wanted.

Ori_bro

ignite the fire
attending with coco and a few others :)

Teaming with coco. HA ORI GOT HIM TO CARRY ME BEFORE YOU COULD ;)
xatic thats funny cuz im good in dubs and i dont have people carry me i can hold my own ;)

still open for a dubs partner anyone?

Ambient_Horizon

Smash Ace
Well this is close enough to me. I should be game for going. God knows I haven't been to a tournament in months :( Boxxy I'll even help you run the event, bring a full setup and power strip if you grab me.

Not sure if I wanna do doubles. But then again I don't have a reason not to.

Decisons decisions...

BigDaddy4

Smash Journeyman
imma throw this out there who wants to do dubs?

my recent dubs placings if u guys care
LoLiS 1 - 9th beating dope and sliq
LoLiS 2 - 7th beating tyr and ankoku
LoLiS 4 - 9th beating no one worth mentioning
LoLiS 5 - 5th almost beat lain/omni and panda/blue rouge

bigdaddy? L_? anyone?
edit: it seems coco is teaming with xatic, i'll team with you ori.

Ambient_Horizon

Smash Ace
Guess I'll be professional about this:

Hello, Michigan if you don't know me I'm VerticalHorizon (VH), also known as that tall black guy with the weird Snake. I need a doubles partner for Michigan Ball Z. Are there any good players looking for a Brawl Doubles partner? Let me know.

Major + if you main Marth, Game and Watch, Metaknight or King Dedede.

*waits to see if anyone takes the bait*

Top Bottom