• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mewtwo's Uair - Perhaps his most versatile under-appreciated move

Wreckarooni

Smash Apprentice
side note: (at the end I'm posting the damage and KB info and also asking a question about the mysterious semi-spike Uair hitboxes that I can never seem to witness)

Okay back to the main course -

I find that Mewtwo's Uair is pretty under-valued and under-explored in general. Most of Mewtwo's moves pop upwards to set up for easy Uair Juggles and it's pretty easy to hit with the 14% tip HB.

But perhaps the most underused aspect of his Uair is with edgeguarding. Back facing the opponent, Frame 10 and 11 of the up and back of his tail has amazing range and priority. It can go through every recovery, it also seems like there is lag on the tail hurtboxes so the hitboxes precede always making it more disjointed front to back in actual use. It's wonderful for intercepting the spacies before, during, and after they activate their Up Bs, against Falcon Sheik, Peach the reverse Uair is amazing, pretty much any character you can get 3 backwards or forwards Uairs in on every edge guard because of how fast it SAFs.

It's also quite powerful, able to get KOs even on heavy characters like falcon off the edge as low as 90-130%. The tip of the Uair is much more powerful in both KB and damage than the tip of the Bair which is what commonly hits.

Bair is the usually go to of the edge, but let's be honest it's a very wonky animation and it can be very hard to be precise with since the hitboxes have strange placement and timing. Personally I find Mewtwo's Uair much easier to hit with, backwards hitting with the final 2 hitbox frames feels similar to Marth's Bair. Use FF to space it right (this also can contort your hurtboxes and frame so that the tail covers more space safely, like a wall of rotating hitboxes) or come up from beneath and bicycle tail whip them using Mewtwo's DJC ability.

And of course all know how great it is right after letting go of the ledge. Instant Uair after letting go is actually pretty amazing for fending off opponents on stage but more importantly the up/back Frame 10 and 11 are amazing for swatting away recovering opponents. Not enough Metwo's use it for that, they usually mess up a bair or get nervous and nair....which does nothing but help the opponent get back :/

So does anyone know what is going on with the (LATE-MID) 0 and 30 degree hitboxes of Mewtwo's Uair? I've never EVER seen them hit and the bones they are connected to (7 and 8) are connected usually to disjointed areas that aren't even part of Mewtwo's body. Those 2 are associated with shadow ball and parts of Mewtwo's Up-smash. Would be awesome if these actually existed, a semispike like Pikachu's Up-air would be stellar....maybe they are off axis extended in the z plane like Yoshi's grab :( lol

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 212841

gcyftftdtfyxycyvj

Last edited by a moderator:

Wreckarooni

Smash Apprentice
I only see those top 3 hitbubbles in masterhand. I'm not sure what you are using but i think that's somebody else's uair that you are looking at. (reminds me of Falcon's kinda)

I'm also a huge fan of uair, although It's still WIP in integrating it properly into my gameplay. I like to use it following a bair when gimping since it combos on Fox nicely and leads to more bairs. I also like using djc uairs when comboing guys like Marth/Sheik since it tends to lead into dtilt which leads back into djc uair. Also want to start using djc uair oos to punish fade away Marth fairs. I still like bair in edgeguarding vs spacies since it covers a lot of space and the endlag is super ****ing low but I think I should be using it more when trying to pressure floatier dudes like Marth off stage since you can swat at him at an angle he doesn't really like. I imagine there's more uses to this move, it's super legit. The one big flaw with it is that it sucks at hitting grounded opponent's but I think dtilt gets around that issue.

One thing thing I really want to do that I could only get debug menu Mewtwo to do is using soft hit uairs on high airborne spacies to combo into Mewtwo's grounded options. If applicable, that would be super useful in converting the ****ton of damage you can stack using Fairs into a move that can kill/setup for ez gimp. Maybe I should try to take it simpler and use soft uair -> hard uair...
Okay same here, I only see the 3 hitbubbles in MH as well. But I remember for sure there being hitboxes missing from masterhand for many characters that I've confirmed actually existing (sometimes whole moves are missing).

This info is from Kadano's hitbox spreadsheet. It's definitely under Mewtwo, and the way that he notated it and gave detail made me think for sure it was an actual hitbox, even the filePos seems to line up with Mewtwo's grouping. But we all make mistakes perhaps this is one.

I like Uair > Utilt > Uair > DJC Uair > FF into something else.....I don't see many juggles even attempted by top mewtwos. I know they are susceptible to DI but Mewtwo is actually fast enough to follow up horizontally. Maybe the top players know something I don't.

I do know for sure the 14% hitbox Uair can juggle very well and can carry almost any character across the stage, floaties can't really contest Mewtwo's Up-Air and for them it's a viable KO option when they are mid-air at 120%+, for FFers it's an easy edgeguard set up.

Last edited:

ihasabuket

Smash Journeyman
Okay same here, I only see the 3 hitbubbles in MH as well. But I remember for sure there being hitboxes missing from masterhand for many characters that I've confirmed actually existing (sometimes whole moves are missing).

This info is from Kadano's hitbox spreadsheet. It's definitely under Mewtwo, and the way that he notated it and gave detail made me think for sure it was an actual hitbox, even the filePos seems to line up with Mewtwo's grouping. But we all make mistakes perhaps this is one.

I like Uair > Utilt > Uair > DJC Uair > FF into something else.....I don't see many juggles even attempted by top mewtwos. I know they are susceptible to DI but Mewtwo is actually fast enough to follow up horizontally. Maybe the top players know something I don't.

I do know for sure the 14% hitbox Uair can juggle very well and can carry almost any character across the stage, floaties can't really contest Mewtwo's Up-Air and for them it's a viable KO option when they are mid-air at 120%+, for FFers it's an easy edgeguard set up.
Im looking at the spreadsheet right now and this is under MW. Im not sure what character this is but their fair sends at a 32 degree angle and its late hit sends at a sakurai angle. The one under Mw is mewtwo and that one has the 3 upair hitboxes with 55 degree angles.

ihasabuket

Smash Journeyman
I also like using djc uairs when comboing guys like Marth/Sheik since it tends to lead into dtilt which leads back into djc uair. Also want to start using djc uair oos to punish fade away Marth fairs.
Never thought about this, it'd certainly be better past low %s. At low %s I still think DJC fair is better though.

D

Deleted member 212841

gcyftftdtfyxycyvj

Wreckarooni

Smash Apprentice
So you've never juggled a mid or FFer using Uair strings?

You need to get on that man....at low-mid percents it's kinda easy especially if you have good DJC control. Mewtwo's WD and air mobility allows him to chase quickly and be precise if you are precise.

Mewtwo's Uair hits very similar to Mario's (one of the best aerial juggle moves in the game) - but it's more powerful, has more range, has the same angle, and I think it's actually more versatile since Mewtwo can DJC it. Also it has varying hitboxes at mid and tip, so you can possibly continue at higher percents and with the range reach them faster.

If you have really never seen it before just check out Mew2King against this sheik LINK I remember him doing it for 3 of the stocks and the guy was actually DIing randomly. I've also seen Zoma use it sometimes with success.

You can also get flaoties are very low percent starting with an Upthrow or a Utils then confirm the first close to the ground DJC Uair into at least 2 more. It's of course much easier on FFers and mids like Sheik and Marth.

Last edited:

SuperShus

Smash Journeyman
Slippi.gg
East#694
in the recent zoma vods that were posted in the meta thread, he does two djc uairs on a fast faller at medium percents in a way ive never seen combo before. I believe it is with those hitboxes youve said youve never seen.

D

Deleted member 212841

gcyftftdtfyxycyvj

D

Deleted member 212841

gcyftftdtfyxycyvj

Sieghart

Smash Apprentice
Does anybody have experience with using idjc uairs when dealing Fox sh aerials? I noticed that it seemed more effective than I had initially thought but didnt get enough playtime to really form an opinion.
I've tried but I only get mileage out of it at like mid-high percents where the followup is easy. The spacing it needs against sh aerials requires far more effort than I think it's worth at low percents.I love idjc uair versus fh nair on fox or fh dair on falco, though.

Top Bottom