• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mewtwo's Combo Game

Skratch

Smash Rookie
I main Mewtwo. I’m still pretty new to ultimate, but I played a lot of Mewtwo in Melee.

So my impressions on mewtwo so far is that he is an underrated character and can have a lot of success, but his combo game leaves some to be desired. Certain match ups I just get wrecked against and I find using Mewtwo can be extra challenging at times, but when you’re on, you’re really on.

Hopefully as I progress I’ll have more to say on the matter, but truth be told, I think of dropping mewtwo to secondary a lot

D

Deleted member

I main Mewtwo. I’m still pretty new to ultimate, but I played a lot of Mewtwo in Melee.

So my impressions on mewtwo so far is that he is an underrated character and can have a lot of success, but his combo game leaves some to be desired. Certain match ups I just get wrecked against and I find using Mewtwo can be extra challenging at times, but when you’re on, you’re really on.

Hopefully as I progress I’ll have more to say on the matter, but truth be told, I think of dropping mewtwo to secondary a lot
Mewtwo's combo game I could say is rather lacking to be honest. It is in a WAY. That's important to note. If optimized it could have potentially one of the best combo games in Ultimate. It's issue isn't getting damage on, it's the lack of being able to convert off enough attacks. What I mean is many top tiers can convert into combos off basically any hit, and said combo starters are also neutral tools. Think Wolf. He hits basically anything in neutral and can get a combo off it. However Mewtwo's combo starters are far, far more limited. And in Ultimate where not getting hit and having good hitbox's to go with solid movement is key, I see this as the main reason why Mewtwo's combo game is too limited to be broken, as you can see in S4 this limiter wasn't there or at least was mitigated by it's combo starters (cough cough d-tilt cough cough Nair) being broken.

As for matchups I think Mewtwo wins far more matchups than most give it credit for. Though i'll leave it at that, that's a whole nother conversation to have haha

You are right though. Mewtwo has far too much untapped potential. We workin on it tho ❤

godogod

Smash Ace
Mewtwo needs to get the down tilt back(starting two frames sooner), and then standard aerial. That might be enough to revert that to smash 4 I think. That down tilt was his bread and butter. Not mentioning footstool combos from smash 4 on Wii u...

Last edited:

Downshift

Smash Journeyman
The footstool combo was a gimmick. Good riddance.

Other than Dtilt, he needs Dthrow to be able to lead into follow ups and strings, and also needs Nair to be more consistent; always hitting the opponent the way he's facing or anything consistent and predictable.

His below average falling speed along with this huge slow double jump make aerial combos pretty hard in general, regardless of what his hitboxes are. So what he needs are more grounded combo starters.

He doesn't need every move to lead into combos, because he's a glass cannon. What he needs just as much are more quick KO options like Fair and Ftilt.

PURGE THEM LIKE THE

Smash Apprentice
The real reason his combo game seems lacking is that they gutted nair. Three hits of nair were removed, along with 4 frames of cooldown added. In sm4sh the last hit of nair was on frames 39-40, and the move ended on frame 46. In this game its last hit is on frames 27-28, and the move ends on frame 50. This effectively gave it 22 frames of cooldown. You can't combo nair into any aerial anymore without landing, meaning no more nair->bair/fair, nair->up air->bair/nair, or nair->nair->bair/fair.

Down tilt also got 3 frames of cooldown added on, and fair got 1 frame of startup and 2 frames of cooldown, but I wouldn't expect those to matter much.

It also appears like fair has a smaller hitbox, making it seemingly impossible to combo fair->fair without landing, but I have no way to see hitbox changes to know for sure.

For as hard as mewtwo gets blown up when someone touches him, I don't find his damage output to be good enough, which wouldn't be that big of a deal if his moves demanded a lot of respect like wolf's dash attack, but they don't.

xXZeroXx

Smash Cadet
Maybe not really a combo game but I have been watching a Spanish player lately and he's got Mewtwo absolutely figured out, it's a pleasure to watch. Here is a match from a grand final in a small tourney

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SO6kyq4opIY

I ended up looking some vods from him against a Palutena player and just as I imagined, it's an awful MU.
I found myself never winning against Palutena and I can understand why now. He ended up having to use Snake.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbXT1U5FGcU

Top Bottom