• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mewtwo Training Guide (Edited, need more info, more skills to learn)

Moo2

Smash Cadet
I was going to make a training guide for myself so that i could get better, but i thought i should share it with the rest of the smashers. This is a list of things to master when you dont have anyone to play with. By the way, I am a little off on my terms, so if you could help me there, please don't hesitate. If i have need more info, its probably how to apply it, if i have need help explaining, i need help explaining what to do.

I plan to have each section in order of what you need to do to become Mewtwo stereotype to Taj Mewtwo

Suggestions accepted, encouraged, and needed.

(Edit: Alright, need more techniques if there are any and need help with Order of Importance once those are done.)

(In Order of Importance. Top is basics, bottom is more advanced.)

-wavedash

From what I can tell, wave dashing is one of the most important skills a mewtwo can have. This helps you mindgame... game, and lets you evade quickly.
Jump, then about 1/10 of a second later, air dodge back onto the ground. Now do it angled. For more info go to http://video.google.com/videoplay?d...he+advanced+how+to+play+video+for+super+smash , and then go to #5

-Short Hop
A Short hop (SH) is pressing x or y very quickly. I have also heard you can do it with the control stick if you are fast. This improves your game because it can move your aerials lower, which will help land fair, dair, and maybe nair.

-wavedash with shield
Simple. After wavedashing, keep R or L held down to pull up your shield. Your sliding will move you and your shield will protect you. Helps your shieldgrab game.

-dashdance and wavedash mix
A simple mix between dashdancing and wavedashing to mess up your opponent. After a wavedash, move the control stick back and forth until you feel you want to wavedash again, then wavedash, then dashdance, and so on. Helps to set up grabs.

-shuffle aerials
ShFfL. Short for "Short hop fast fall l-cancel". Short hop, aerial, fast fall, l-cancel is what you are supposed to do. This allows for quicker fairs, uairs, dairs, and sometimes nairs.
For more info go to http://video.google.com/videoplay?d...he+advanced+how+to+play+video+for+super+smash #1-4

-rising aerials
This technique increases your jump height of your second jump a considerable amount. Mewtwo's second jump makes him turn like this (sorry for crappy picture)
__M
____M<---X
____M
____M
__M
X=about here, use any aerial, and the turn is canceled, so you keep inertia. You can surprise your opponents and vertical kill faster also.

-SHBAWD (short hop back air wave dash) (more info needed)
Just as it says. Short hop backwards, flick, then wavedash backwards. Pushes enemy back and sets up combos and edgeguard oppurtunities.

-instand djc aerials
DjC stands for double jump cancel. There are certain characters with irregular double jumps, mostly the "psychic" ones. Mewtwo and ness are good examples. When they double jump, they have a short lag time before they go up. Double jump very quickly off the ground, and you will be at short hop range for a split second. Fair, Bair, Uair, and nair are all useful with this. Dair is situationally useful.

-shorthop teleport
A shorthop teleport is faster if you want to travel side to side than a regular ground teleport.

-sweetspotted teleport
Teleporting right into an edge. Used in SUNC and good when recovering.

-ledgecanceld teleport
Grabbing an edge right before you teleport. Not much to it, but hard to do.

-SUNC
Created by Taj (or MookieRah?), this creates an infinte invulnerability on you. You do this by dropping off a ledge and sweetspotting the ledge almost at the same time. To view in action see Shadowclaw at 0:33 to 0:43.

-SBCC (short hop reverse shadowball charge cancel)
Do this by short hopping into the opponent, pressing the opposite direction on the control stick momentarily, then press B. Creates a few hits to rack up damage.

-waveland / shorthop fastfall to waveland
Wavelanding is wavedashing on a platform while jumping onto it. This can slide you off a stage easily, which is good for edgeguarding. To put it in easier terms, once you are at wave dashing range while falling, wavedashing.

learn how to short hop and wd out of shield
Alright, hold up your shield. Press X. You can jump. This opens up short hopping out of a shield, and wavedashing out of a shield.

learn how to jump cancel grabs
When you dashgrab, there is major lag afterwards. The way to fix this is to JC grab. Remember the jump lag? you have to press X or Y and then Z very quickly, faster than the jump lag. This reduces the grablag by about 50-60% from a dashgrab.

-moonwalk(Is this really important?)

Thanks to Airo for things to train at.
Thanks to Taj for SUNC... and for being a goal for M2Newbs.

DelxDoom

Smash Lord
learn short hop and wd at same time, usually I'd say SH over WDs yet M2's WD is very important for his game.
learn how to short hop and wd out of shield,
learn how to jump cancel grabs,
^^^ those are pretty much most important.

dguy6789

Smash Lord
Mewtwo's jump canceled grabs are inferior to his normal grabs. Someone did a thread and Mewtwo and one other character were the only ones where their normal grabs were better than the jump canceled ones.

Tongji

Smash Journeyman
I don't really understand how this is a 'guide' There is a new guide that quack made that is quite good. I think that perhaps all of this informaion is included in there. although this is a great compilation of all of the kats Tecks I think that quack's guide goes a little more in depth. idk. If you want to get better play peepz who destroy you. hehe

quak

Smash Champion
hey man,

quaK, no C dude :p

and i do intend to cover advanced tactics soon, for the things i haven't covered yet, like SBCC and such. Actually, i'll probably be able to start again this monday, since my senior projects and portfolios will be done.

quak

Smash Champion
if your landing lag is half of what it normally is then you did it right, there's no chime or anything.

And to answer you're questing in the other thread, tilts are preformed by tilting the control stick a direction while at the same time hitting 'A'.

Sounds like you need a brush up on the basic game....

go here, it should help, take it in bit by bit, so your not overwhelmed. And welcome to the smash community.

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=42749

Tongji

Smash Journeyman
A good way to test L-cancled is go into training mode and be bowser. Do a back air withought L-cancle and then go and try to do a back air again with L-cancle. You should notice the difference. L-cancleing with every character and move can be slightly differn't however doing Bair with Bowser is an easy way to start. Hope this helps and good luck! L-cancleing is one of the most important tecks any smasher can learn.

Moo2

Smash Cadet
Thanks for info.

And tongji, this isnt a necesarily on how to play mewtwo, its how to train with him when you are alone. After you are done with this list, the only way to get better IS to play other people.

Airo

Smash Lord
Richmond, BritishColumbia, Canada (williams+railw
nooo...... there is no need to use bowser to train at all
the timing isnt hard to catch. most of it goes into muscle memory anyways.

shuffle has slight variations depending on when you want to use your aerial. (during rising animation or falling animation)

to do the shuffle with a F-air during the rising animation
short-hop and F-air immediately, at the vertex, fast fall and press z at the same time.

to do a shuffle with a F-air during the falling animation
short-hop, at the vertex, fast fall, then immediately use Fair, then immediately press z.

hmmm... hope that makes sense.

Tongji

Smash Journeyman
Airo I was just trying to point out a character who when you L-cancle it is quite easy to see. Ohh well I suppose your right tho there is no point in playing bowser.

indie_dave

Smash Ace
umbreonmow and wak recommend using space animals to practice l-canceling (specifically fox). in practice mode, if you can dair into a shine and the combo meter shows multiple hits after [dair-into-down+b shine combo] then you have successfully l-canceled. because i spent some time practicing with fox, my shffls got that much better. i'm still bad at l-canceling full jump aerials, though..

Top Bottom