• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mewtwo Teleport Hover Question

Based Gob

Smash Rookie
Perhaps people ask this question a lot but I can't find any direct answer to my specific question anywhere. Essentially I'm wondering how you TP into hover? Here's a good example of it as shown by emukiller: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBMn330P2Wg&t=5m51s Is it short hop -> TP directly horizontally -> down + y? I've found that that method works like 50% of the time for me, what could I be doing wrong? I've also found that I am able to hover out of teleport by just holding Y without down, however it has about the same success rate. The thing is, I don't know what I'm doing differently when it does work, and what I'm doing wrong when it doesn't.

Here's a video of me attempting to TP hover using both methods: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3esv-qkGj2w I use both the down + y and the y only methods here pretty much randomly, neither seemed to work better than the other.

-dMT-

Smash Lord
I asked pretty much the same question in a thread last night, but seems nobody saw it yet so no answer. I'll just copy it here as well:

---

Ok, so... I'm not sure if I'm missing something obvious (probably) or it's simply my inexperience with Peach and her float shenanigans ever since Melee - but I can't seem to get Hover out of Teleport working. Like, at all. It must be incorrect input.

I use L to shield/L-cancel/WD, so I have set R as Jump for access to c-stick during my hovers. I hover just fine once I've already jumped. I just can't seem to do the short hop > Teleport horizontally > hover. Trying to get that flex-air down lawl.

Anyone care to remedy my noobiness here?

victinivcreate1

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Wiiu4ssb4
3DS FC
3007-8585-6950
I asked pretty much the same question in a thread last night, but seems nobody saw it yet so no answer. I'll just copy it here as well:

---

Ok, so... I'm not sure if I'm missing something obvious (probably) or it's simply my inexperience with Peach and her float shenanigans ever since Melee - but I can't seem to get Hover out of Teleport working. Like, at all. It must be incorrect input.

I use L to shield/L-cancel/WD, so I have set R as Jump for access to c-stick during my hovers. I hover just fine once I've already jumped. I just can't seem to do the short hop > Teleport horizontally > hover. Trying to get that flex-air down lawl.

Anyone care to remedy my noobiness here?
I'm no god at doing it, but I think you just need faster fingers. The input is :GCY::GCU::GCB::GCL:or:GCR::GCY::GCD:

Emukiller did it with default controls. Controller customization is not needed. TBH Hover Cancels are not too much of a game changer for Mewtwo, so you shouldn't really need to change R or L to jump. Hardly used.

-dMT-

Smash Lord
It's not for hover cancels - it's for being able to use the cstick to input aerials independent of the direction I move in during hover - it's for things like hovering into and through the opponent with a back air and following it with a fair. Greater flexibility. Hover canceling is easy enough with just using X/Y to jump (I use X).

Is the hover input jump + down simultaneously in this case, or in quick succession?

victinivcreate1

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Wiiu4ssb4
3DS FC
3007-8585-6950
It's not for hover cancels - it's for being able to use the cstick to input aerials independent of the direction I move in during hover - it's for things like hovering into and through the opponent with a back air and following it with a fair. Greater flexibility. Hover canceling is easy enough with just using X/Y to jump (I use X).

Is the hover input jump + down simultaneously in this case, or in quick succession?
The hover input is jump+down in quick succession.

-dMT-

Smash Lord
I've heard of people coming out of teleport with an input that involves holding jump.

I haven't had success with this, at least in the ways I've tried it, so I was curious mainly for that reason. I've tried inputting the jump+down sequence VERY quickly after coming out of teleport to no success... that's why I think I'm more likely doing the input at the wrong time rather than doing the input itself wrong.

CeLL

Smash Lord
If you are holding jump while you perform a move in the air, you will hover after it. No down input is needed.

I believe the input is SH -> up-B -> slightly above left or right on control stick. You should start holding jump as soon as you press B to teleport. I could be wrong, however. I'm one of those guys who plays games at a competitive level, but can't actually recite the controls. For me it's all muscle memory.

-dMT-

Smash Lord
Nvm... turns out I only thought I had tap jump off. Turned it off, and now I'm getting hovers out of teleport pretty much every time just holding R as I come out.

Geranimo

Smash Cadet
okey so the problem is that by pressing up+b sometimes we double jump before the up+b and no hover is possible?

-dMT-

Smash Lord
okey so the problem is that by pressing up+b sometimes we double jump before the up+b and no hover is possible?
Turns out that was the problem in my case, yes. Now, I never miss a hover out of Teleport unless I mess up and exit the Teleport grounded.

Based Gob

Smash Rookie
Oh wow I think that's actually it! Thank you so much! With that knowledge I've figured out the best way to do it with tap jump on. Just tap up, and while you're still holding up press B, and then slide the control stick from up to the side, then press and hold Y. Essentially you're just sliding the control stick from the neutral position to straight up to straight to the side and pressing B while it's in the up position and holding Y once you get to the side position.

Kankato

Smash Journeyman
I have a larger question about Mewtwo's mobility in general. Should Mewtwo be allowed to Hover out of teleport at all? Most characters who can act out of their Up B cannot Double Jump immediately after, and the hover is supposed to work like an alternate double jump. What do you guys think?

CeLL

Smash Lord
I have a larger question about Mewtwo's mobility in general. Should Mewtwo be allowed to Hover out of teleport at all? Most characters who can act out of their Up B cannot Double Jump immediately after, and the hover is supposed to work like an alternate double jump. What do you guys think?
Yes, he should.

You cannot compare individual moves. "Clearly, Marth has a better fair than Fox. Therefore Marth's fair needs to be nerfed." It doesn't work that way.

Also, you're wrong to begin with. He can only hover/DJ (they are inherently linked) out of a grounded teleport, or a teleport done soon after leaving the ground. He can't jump -> attack -> teleport -> DJ/hover. And he can't do Diddy-style recovery where he teleports near the ledge and then jumps onto the stage.

Also, hover isn't an alternate second jump. According to the PMBR, they added it to give Mewtwo an approach option, something desperately needed to improve him from his Melee incarnation.

It's not like he has particularly good mobility to begin with. His dashing speed is terrible, his dash dance is horrible, and he's floaty, not to mention how slow his jumps are.

Mewtwo wins one tournament and suddenly everyone wants to nerf him. Has no one considered that EmuKiller's actually good at this game?

Kankato

Smash Journeyman
Thanks for the info! I wasn't sure what to think of Teleport->Hover as it's a bit unusual in my current understanding of smash and I honestly thought it was unintentional, but if it's pivotal to Mewtwo's game then now I know.

I don't like to ask for nerfs in general since I'm a pretty bad player so I ask what better players think before committing to an opinion, hence the question. Sorry if I sound like I'm on the Mewtwo nerf bandwagon. When a new opinion enters the Smashboards collective unconscious I exercise caution before picking it up.

Top Bottom