• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mewtwo techs (how to teleport hover in 3.5)

Darkoness21

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0576-4758-7122
@1:40 that is such a good option to get back to the ledge because of the invincibility frames. If someone really practices this down to the wire, Mewtwo will virtually become untouchable when returning onstage from the ledge. Thanks for the video! Will definitely practice this tech (after finishing my finals week :'( )

blu2grut

Smash Cadet
just remember that float from ledge is not an option if you've used your 2nd jump or float before you grab ledge.

DARKcpu0

Smash Apprentice
While alot of this is common knowledge (Double Jump landing and auto-cancelling specifically), hovering out of teleport AT AN ANGLE was pretty mind blowing. I thought it was only possible from a ledge cancel. That's pretty amazing. Same for clipping ledge while tp. That really extends his off stage game massively. Great ****ing find. Go get emu lol.

Also if someone practices that invincible ledge recovery, you can float cancel fair to get people to respect space then dtilt, or just waveland dtilt to extend distance.

Must practice these.

DARKcpu0

Smash Apprentice
While alot of this is common knowledge (Double Jump landing and auto-cancelling specifically), hovering out of teleport AT AN ANGLE was pretty mind blowing. I thought it was only possible from a ledge cancel. That's pretty amazing. Same for clipping ledge while tp. That really extends his off stage game massively. Great ****ing find. Go get emu lol.

Also if someone practices that invincible ledge recovery, you can float cancel fair to get people to respect space then dtilt, or just waveland dtilt to extend distance.

Must practice these.
Invincible ledge approach is pretty easy. Just hold jump and down, then just a. If you're like me and have a jump set to L as I wavedash and L-Cancel with R, this is an absolute breeze.

InfinityCollision

Smash Lord
Spent some time in debug mode figuring out the telehover thing. Here's what I've got:

-The teleport input must go in during your first frame of airtime.
-You have to input a double jump within a four frame window before that. As best I can tell, this input only works via tap jump.
-Teleporting horizontally will, as noted, generally end in a grounded teleport if the ground between your start and ending points is level. Training Room appears to be the only exception.
-Also as noted, you can airdodge out of the hover.
-You can only hover when teleporting from the ground. It doesn't appear to be possible from a platform. Teleporting between two platforms that are level with each other will autocancel though, which is neat.

So your frame data looks like this:

0-Standing, input jump
1-Jumpsquat
2-Jumpsquat, can input double jump
3-Jumpsquat, can input double jump
4-Jumpsquat, can input double jump
5-Jumpsquat, can input double jump
6-Airtime, input teleport
7-Teleport startup

Obviously whether this stays or goes is up to the PMDT, but I could see an argument for leaving it in. It's very situational, requires precise inputs, and there's an element of risk to using it in neutral because you're pretty much forced to use a ~17 degree input if you want to pressure your opponent - not a lot of mixup potential there and that's yet another degree of precision required. That puts you at head height vs a lot of opponents and above some of the shorter characters. On the other hand, horizontal inputs work just fine on YI, YS, Lylat, Kongo Jungle, and Metal Cavern if you're on high ground. Airdodge out of hover also affords it some flexibility on retreat.

At any rate, I won't be surprised if they nerf it. Reddit's already having flashbacks to 3.02 :p

Last edited:

DARKcpu0

Smash Apprentice
Spent some time in debug mode figuring out the telehover thing. Here's what I've got:

-The teleport input must go in during your first frame of airtime.
-You have to input a double jump within a four frame window before that. As best I can tell, this input only works via tap jump.
-Teleporting horizontally will, as noted, generally end in a grounded teleport if the ground between your start and ending points is level. Training Room appears to be the only exception.
-Also as noted, you can airdodge out of the hover.
-You can only hover when teleporting from the ground. It doesn't appear to be possible from a platform. Teleporting between two platforms that are level with each other will autocancel though, which is neat.

So your frame data looks like this:

0-Standing, input jump
1-Jumpsquat
2-Jumpsquat, can input double jump
3-Jumpsquat, can input double jump
4-Jumpsquat, can input double jump
5- Jumpsquat, can input double jump
6-Airtime, input teleport
7-Teleport startup

Obviously whether this stays or goes is up to the PMDT, but I could see an argument for leaving it in. It's very situational, requires precise inputs, and there's an element of risk to using it in neutral because you're pretty much forced to use a ~17 degree input if you want to pressure your opponent - not a lot of mixup potential there and that's yet another degree of precision required. That puts you at head height vs a lot of opponents and above some of the shorter characters. On the other hand, horizontal inputs work just fine on YI, YS, Lylat, Kongo Jungle, and Metal Cavern if you're on high ground.

At any rate, I won't be surprised if they nerf it. Reddit's already having flashbacks to 3.02 :p

Awesome getting the frame data for it.

On a side note, found out if you clip the ends of a platform you can hover from it as well.

From a full hop teleport, if you have decent precision, you can pretty much do the old telehover, but its pretty situational, and you really need to do it slightly lower than perfectly horizontal to utilize it. Still nice to throw out every once in a while to throw off the opponent if you feel lucky.

Found that in practice, works best on battlefield in the case of your opponent being over near the opposite platform.

As for leaving this all it, whether it be the ledge cancelled telehovers, platform cancelled telehovers, or the DJC telehovers (What I'll call the hover from anywhere but horizontal) its all extremely situational, you have to in very specific places to do it for the most part, be very precise, an take a gamble. I say it should stay in. Even simply just telehovering horizontal off stage of YI, YS, WW, Kongo, or Metal Cavern is extremely situational.

Meanwhile, Imma go make a telehover thread to compile all the knowledge we have on it so far.

Darkoness21

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0576-4758-7122
Do you have to use tap jump in order to jump then double jump telehover off stage? I'm more comfortable with the x and trigger button?

blu2grut

Smash Cadet
something you all may like to know... the teleport starts as an aerial teleport but switches to a grouded teleport.
you can telehover if you time an upB before you land as well
must be related to that transition from air teleport into a grounded teleport

DARKcpu0

Smash Apprentice
something you all may like to know... the teleport starts as an aerial teleport but switches to a grouded teleport.
So then it's just a DJC telehover.

A frame tight DJC telehover but nonetheless, DJC telehover.

blu2grut

Smash Cadet
the double jump part is only so you can start a telehover from the ground..... I'm saying you can be falling from the top of the stage with no jumps then time a teleport right before you land for the same effect.

also did you know you can auto-cancel teleport in melee too :D

Last edited:

DARKcpu0

Smash Apprentice
the double jump part is only so you can start a telehover from the ground..... I'm saying you can be falling from the top of the stage with no jumps then time a teleport right before you land for the same effect.

also did you know you can auto-cancel teleport in melee too :D
Still a DJC Telehover in that case lol. You can do the same with say, Fair.

Also yes. Hence why I said in an early post its common knowledge lol.

Don't mean to be rude. Sorry if it comes off as such. No one really utilizes them. Its extremely precise stuff.

DARKcpu0

Smash Apprentice
Do you have to use tap jump in order to jump then double jump telehover off stage? I'm more comfortable with the x and trigger button?
Given in debug I tap x than up, twice, you might be able to, if you're fast enough. I suggest keeping tap jump on anyways. Makes things abit easier.

InfinityCollision

Smash Lord
Interesting, good find. The window on this one seems to be a little more generous. It doesn't work if you teleport right before landing (as if trying to perfect waveland), but there's a few frames before that where it'll work. It's also pretty funny to do, you can get a constant loop of telehovers this way.

DARKcpu0

Smash Apprentice
Interesting, good find. The window on this one seems to be a little more generous. It doesn't work if you teleport right before landing (as if trying to perfect waveland), but there's a few frames before that where it'll work. It's also pretty funny to do, you can get a constant loop of telehovers this way.
I havent had much success. I'll probably end up sticking to clipping the edges of platforms to approach with telehover lol

Darkoness21

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0576-4758-7122
I havent had much success. I'll probably end up sticking to clipping the edges of platforms to approach with telehover lol
Yeah thats the same problem I keep having lol. I would try to approach with telehover off stage but would just clip to the ledge. Hey all the more practice to clip to the ledges! :D

DARKcpu0

Smash Apprentice
Yeah thats the same problem I keep having lol. I would try to approach with telehover off stage but would just clip to the ledge. Hey all the more practice to clip to the ledges! :D
Offstage? As if for a gimp? Ledge cancel that ****. I just made a threat. Has pictures provided by someone else. Go take a look, see if that helps.

DARKcpu0

Smash Apprentice
@1:40 that is such a good option to get back to the ledge because of the invincibility frames. If someone really practices this down to the wire, Mewtwo will virtually become untouchable when returning onstage from the ledge. Thanks for the video! Will definitely practice this tech (after finishing my finals week :'( )

Ok so if you do so frame perfectly, you can actually get a completely invincible fair.

First 8-9 Frames of ledge invincibility You cant act, but around frame 9 (I think) You can jump.
16 frames later (whilst holding down, you get the first frame of hover on frame 25(?) and on the next frame you BEST be holding perfectly horizontal, because if even for a frame you go at an angle unless its just slightly below perfectly horizontal between those ridges (~17 degrees?) So you have 1-2 frames to move your analog stick from down to perfectly right, then on the next frame throw out a fair while holding right so you can keep it going, and the active hitboxes will be all good. Completely invincible.

schmooblidon

Smash Journeyman
Hey guys was labbing some mew2 and found some decent-ish ledge options.

That ledgejump hover is pretty amazing, gives max 11 intangible actionable frames, but the requirements kinda suck.
I found some Aerial Interrupts
frame 0 - CliffWait 0
frame 1 - Drop (first frame airbourne)
DoubleJump on frame # | Aerial on frame # | Autocancel/L-cancel | Maximum Intangible Actionable Frames
2 | Nair 7 | L-cancel | 3
5 | Nair 19 | Autocancel | 3
2 | Dair 7 | L-cancel | 5
2 | Upair 8 | L-cancel | 6

(the autocancel nair requires fastfall)
You can do later timings on all of these, but the intangible frames are quite scarse. A perfect ledgedash can give you 6 intangible frames.

X Riptide X

Smash Cadet
Can somebody break down the Telehover for me? I think I've been interpreting the instructions wrong. When it says jump, then double jump teleport, I try to DJC the teleport. I'm seriously confused on how to do it, and every time I try, I end up going into freefall. Also, is it possible to perform with tap jump off?

can mewtwo not air dodge anymore? my mewtwo wont arid dogde
Mewtwo CAN air dodge, that's why he can wavedash. Do you mean air dodge out of teleport? If so, then you're right- he can't air dodge out of it.

InfinityCollision

Smash Lord
Read the frame data posted above, it tells you everything you need to know.

You can telehover without tap jump, but it requires hitting two sequential one frame windows. Double jump input has to be on last frame of jumpsquat, immediately before the up-b input.

Last edited:
Top Bottom