• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mewtwo+??? = Success

Bandit Croco

Smash Rookie
In an age where it seems like dual maining seems to be standard practice, what character does mewtwo best pair with? I know Marth has been talked about before and Taj has seen success with but I would like to get everyones opinions on it. With G3 being announced, I would like to start grinding with mewtwo and another character to be able to maybe cover matches or just one that matches better with mewtwo. Thanks :150:

ihasabuket

Smash Journeyman
Honestly its hard to say since mewtwo is underdeveloped. Mewtwo should be able to do pretty well in the puff MU as discussed in one of these threads. Sheik shouldnt be bad either since you basically have a better marth dtilt and you dont get punished very hard. Fox MU is doable depending on the stage and falco is doable if you can deal with lasers. Hell, linguini almost beat ppmd's falcon with ganon just because he knew how to avoid and punish lasers. Id say get your mewtwo good first and then see which matchups are way too lobsided. Then pick your secondary. Also remember that your secondary can be for certain stages in a
MU rather than a MU counterpick.

Sieghart

Smash Apprentice
To be completely honest I've never considered M2-Marth a dual main set up. It's more like play M2 when you think you can get away with it and fall back on Marth when you actually want to get work done. I can't think of a reason off the top of my head, excluding stuff like inexperience and personal taste, that would make you want to go back to M2 midset after switching to Marth.The same basically goes for most top tiers in general when you pair them with a low tier. "Real" dual maining in a game like this seems to only really work within the top tiers. Like Fox/Marth.

That aside, to get a good idea we'd probably need an agreed upon matchup spread for M2 and the same whatever ever character you're thinking of picking up. The idea behind dual main pick is typically to cover your weaknesses, rather than pick a character that downright outdoes your first choice in every way so most characters in general seem out of the picture just based on that criteria if we're basing this on logic rather than personal taste.

I'd say more but this entire post is pretty pointless imo. I'm sure everyone here gets the idea.

Wobbly Headed Bob

Smash Journeyman
I main Mewtwo, my secondaries are Young Link, Luigi, Mario, and I have a pocket Marth.

Young Link, Luigi, Mario, and Marth can take care of certain matchups and counter-picks. I got to my pools Winner's Finals at EVO using these characters. Puff takes you to Dreamland? Y Link. Peach takes you to FD? Mario. Fox takes you to Yoshi's? Marth.

I play Mewtwo, so it's not like I'm going to have a pocket Fox. I'm looking to stay in the lower tiers, but you really want to play your characters because you like them, not because you're trying to gimmick your way through a tournament.

Xxaz_v

Smash Cadet
Hi, I'm a Marth main. If you're planning to STICK, and mean really stick, to mewtwo, then Marth is probably a good character to dual main. Marth covers all of Mewtwo's REALLY bad match ups.

Sieghart

Smash Apprentice
Hi, I'm a Marth main. If you're planning to STICK, and mean really stick, to mewtwo, then Marth is probably a good character to dual main. Marth covers all of Mewtwo's REALLY bad match ups.
And all of the good ones too.

ihasabuket

Smash Journeyman
And all of the good ones too.
I've been thinking that mewtwo might do better in the ICs MU. His dtilt(an important tool in that MU) has the same IASA frames but comes out earlier and can actually combo into upthrow or fairs which are both kill moves on floaties. If they camp you have the option to charge SB instead of having to approach as opposed to marth. Mewtwo gets more off of grabs and can survive the low send angle from dsmash.

Imo if we can polish mewtwo's punish game on Sheik he'd have a better MU than marth since mewtwo has defensive strengths in that MU too.

Wobbly Headed Bob

Smash Journeyman
I've been thinking that mewtwo might do better in the ICs MU. His dtilt(an important tool in that MU) has the same IASA frames but comes out earlier and can actually combo into upthrow or fairs which are both kill moves on floaties. If they camp you have the option to charge SB instead of having to approach as opposed to marth. Mewtwo gets more off of grabs and can survive the low send angle from dsmash.

Imo if we can polish mewtwo's punish game on Sheik he'd have a better MU than marth since mewtwo has defensive strengths in that MU too.
Wobbles says that Taj's Mewtwo beats his ICs. Also bthrow is an easy way to separate them because it will hit forward and launch the grabbed IC. It can be blocked, but then you can mix it up with dthrow.

Top Bottom