• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pokkén Tournament Mewtwo Strikes Back! | Combo Compendium, Mix Ups and Tricks!

sWiTcHeRoO [疾~斬]

The Visionary
NNID
Yuchkins
3DS FC
0130-2970-6312
THIS IS STILL A WORK IN PROGRESS

Seeing as the Mewtwo boards are lagging behind a bit, I've decided to take the initiative with this thread just to give Mewtwo players a boost to their game with certain things I've found on my own. I encourage players to read into his Pokemon move list especially, as I detail certain things players may not know about at first glance, such as special properties certain moves have, or things Mewtwo can perform.
Unfortunately, since I don't own a capture card, I can't quite record myself performing any of these combos to provide better visual reference, so this will have to do. I hope that's still good enough!
Another thing: I also started a Discord server for Mewtwo mains, you can check it out here!
I honestly don't have much else as far as an introduction to the thread goes, so let's just get right into it!

DUEL PHASE LEGEND (inputs are based on the default button scheme for Wii U Gamepad/Pro Controller)
  • Y - Weak Attack
  • X - Strong Attack
  • A - Pokemon Move
  • L - Support Pokemon
  • [] (brackets) - Means the button input must be held (eg: [X+A] = hold X+A)
  • j. - Jump. If next to another input, it means it's an aerial attack (eg: j.A = aerial A, Focus Blast)
  • JC - Jump Cancel. Refers to the ability to cancel the previous landed attack into a jump sooner than usual. Only applies to Up+Y as far as I know.
  • AD - Air Dash. Performed by pressing R while mid-air. A shorter air dash can be performed by pressing back+R
  • DMG - Damage. Will be at the end of every combo to indicate the max damage the combo deals.
    If a wall combo has "+30" after the normal total damage, it means there is 30 damage being added on to the combo due to the Phase Shift causing a wall bounce on a cornered opponent
  • PS - Phase Shift, means a combo will cause a Phase Shift just from doing that one combo. Will be at the end of every combo to indicate a shift happens, but won't be specified if a combo doesn't cause one
COLOR CODING (and RPS triangle)
  • Normal > Grab > Counter > Normal
  • No color = Move has no kind of attacking properties
  • Combo works on a specific set of characters (read disclaimer at the start of the combo list)
  • New combo added via last edit
MEWTWO'S POKEMON MOVE LIST (all of these consume Synergy, keep that in mind)
  • A = Psycho Cut (throws a horizontal energy wave forwards)
    A>A = Psycho Cut follow-up (makes Mewtwo home in on the opponent after a Psycho Cut to perform a swipe; can hit airborne opponents; can also be canceled into a dash before performing the follow-up by pressing R for a forwards dash, or back+R for a backwards dash)
  • Fwd+A = Hyper Beam (shoots a beam in a straight line forward that deals 150DMG raw, and around 40DMG on shield; can pierce counter attacks; can be canceled into a teleport during startup; always causes PS with the final hit)
  • Back+A = Barrier (can be canceled into 4 other moves, has super armor like a regular X+A counter but has no hitbox)
    Back+A>A = Confusion (cancels from Barrier, acts as a counter attack)
    Back+A>B = Teleport (cancels from Barrier, allows you to teleport backwards, forwards or in place; can air dash and/or use any midair attack afterwards)
    Back+A>Y = Telekenesis (cancels from Barrier, acts as a grab that doesn't cause a PS and sends opponents high up allowing for follow-ups)
    Back+A>X = Drain Punch (cancels from Barrier, acts as a normal that recovers some HP when it connects if the opponent is not blocking/counter-attacking)
  • Up+A = Psystrike (listed as a normal in the game's move list, but it has super armor properties like counters, more on that here)
    Up+A>A = Psystrike follow-up (though it's safer to continue mashing A, if a timed press of the A button is done instead, it will actually power-up the follow-up; when a well-timed follow-up occurs, the screen goes darker and Mewtwo will glow yellow briefly)
    Up+A>A>A = Psystrike finisher (just like the follow-up, if a timed press of the A button is done instead of mashing through it, the move will be greater in power; regardless of whether or not the finisher is powered-up, it will always cause a PS)
    ^ if Psystrike is timed perfectly the whole way through, max damage will be 176 raw, 113 if mashed throughout ^
  • Down+A = Fire Punch (acts as a counter; causes Attack decrease for opponents if Mewtwo is in his Synergy Burst)
    Down+A>A = Ice Punch "follow-up" (does not actually combo from Fire Punch if done raw, but it will combo during certain juggles, so watch out as it can be shielded in between)
    Down+A>A = Thunder Punch follow-up (this will actually combo from Ice Punch if done raw; causes Defense decrease for opponents if Mewtwo is in his Synergy Burst)
  • j.A = Focus Blast (shoots a ball that explodes into a round AOE shape; can be charged by holding A and as a result, can be used for stalling in mid-air for the duration of the charge)
  • L+R = Psydisaster Burst Attack (acts as a grab, cannot be combo'd into it as a result; deals 241DMG)
*Something that I'd like to note, and personally don't know how true this is for other characters as I've only used Mewtwo and Blaziken, but some of Mewtwo's combos and juggle opportunities can connect on some characters, while on others it will either not work at all, or some hits can connect, but the remaining ones need to be different conversions for some characters, otherwise the combo will drop completely. This is most likely due to hurtbox differences across the roster (though the ruined combos aren't many). I will specify what character(s) I know it works on underneath the combo in this color.*

Combos will be ordered from smallest total damage, to highest, ignoring the move that starts the combo or how long it is.
I should note, that ALL OF THESE COMBOS WERE DONE ON BLAZIKEN/LUCARIO UNLESS OTHERWISE SPECIFIED

DUEL PHASE, MID-SCREEN (no wall)
  • Back+A>Y > Up+Y > JC fwd > j.Y > j.X |||| around 112DMG
  • Y,Y > Back+A>A ||| 114DMG
  • Back+A>Y > Y,Y > Down+A>A>A ||| 118DMG
    ^ RELIABLE Back+A>Y CONVERSION VS NON-BLAZIKENS ^
  • Back+A>Y > X,X,X > Up+Y > JC fwd > j.Y > j.X ||| 132DMG (X,X,X performs strong>Barrier>Drain Punch, which will heal HP; causes PS)
    ^ ONLY VS BLAZIKEN/LUCARIO AFAIK ^
  • Down+X, X > fwd+X ||| 137DMG
  • Y, Y > Back+A>X ||| 138DMG (recovers HP)
  • Fwd+X > Y, Y > Back+A>A ||| 142DMG
  • [X+A] > fwd Y>Y ||| 147 DMG
  • Y, Y, Y, Y ||| 153DMG
  • Down+X, X > Down+A>A>A ||| 160DMG
  • Fwd+X > Up+Y > JC fwd > j.Y (all hits) > j.X ||| 173DMG
  • j.X > X > Up+A>A>A ||| 188DMG
  • j.Y > j.X > Y, Y, Y, Y ||| 194DMG (if 15 hits, damage can vary due to the multi hits from j.Y altering the damage scaling; 194DMG assumes j.Y only hit twice before comboing into j.X)
  • Up+Y > JC back+AD > j.Y > X, X, X ||| 194DMG (restores HP)
DUEL PHASE, MID-SCREEN (carrying from mid-screen to a wall; tested in Diggersby Land's size)
Shouts-out to @KevCar for the initial find

• Fwd+X > Down+X, X > Fwd X ||| 163DMG
    ^ this will wall splat, allowing the following wall finishers with the following total damage ^
    v all of them will cause Phase Shift unless otherwise specified v

Back+A>A ||| 166DMG + 30 = 196DMG (requires waiting for them to slide down)
    X ||| 172DMG + 30 = 202DMG (requires waiting for them to slide down)
    Up+A ||| 173DMG + 30 = 203DMG
    Fwd+X ||| 178DMG + 30 = 208DMG (requires waiting for them to slide down)
    Y, Y ||| 180DMG + 30 = 210DMG (requires waiting for them to slide down)
    Back+A>X ||| 182DMG (requires waiting for them to slide down; causes PS, but doesn't wall bounce, so no +30DMG)
    Fwd+Y, Y ||| 185DMG + 30 = 215DMG (requires waiting for them to slide down)
DUEL PHASE, NEXT TO WALLS (comboing off of wall splat)
  • Down+X > Y, Y, Y, Y ||| 182DMG
  • Down+X > Down+A>A>A ||| 192DMG
  • Down+X > Y > Back+A>X > Up+Y > JC fwd > j.Y > j.X ||| 195DMG
  • Down+X > Up+A>A>A ||| 166DMG+30WBDMG = 196DMG (non-timed Psystrike) / 229DMG + 30WBDMG = 259DMG (timed Psystrike, causes PS regardless)
  • Down+X > Back+A>A > Y, Y > Up+A>A>A ||| 203DMG + 30 = 233DMG (non-timed Psystrike) / 231DMG + 30 = 261DMG (timed Psystrike, causes PS regardless)
  • j.A (if 5-6 Focus Blast hits = 232DMG total from full combo) > Y, Y > Up+A>A>A ||| 232DMG + 30 = 262DMG (non-timed Psystrike) / 250DMG + 30 = 280DMG timed Psystrike, causes PS regardless)
----------------------------------------
FIELD PHASE
  • Back+A>Y > X, X, X ||| 107DMG (Back+A>Y is Telekenesis just like in Duel Phase)
SUPPORT COMBOS, FIELD PHASE
Shouts-out to @HermitHelmet for sharing a video on some of these (credited in font-size 1)
  • FARFETCH'D (all of these assume Mewtwo attacks after Farfetch'd's 3-hit combo before disappearing)
    L > Back+A>X ||| 92DMG (causes PS; Back+A>X = Drain Punch, heals damage)
    L > j.A ||| 106DMG
    L > j.X ||| 116DMG (causes PS; requires you to chase the opponent+Farfetch'd for the j.X to connect)
    L > A, A ||| 117DMG
    L > Y, Y, Y ||| 123DMG (causes PS)
    L > X, X, X ||| 134DMG (causes PS)
    L > Fwd+A ||| 156DMG (causes PS; Fwd+A = Hyper Beam)
SUPPORT COMBOS, DUEL PHASE (underlined = against a wall, uses wall splat)
  • CUBONE (L-1 = Bonemerang 1st hit/Cubone summon; L-2 = Bonemerang 2nd hit, automatic)
    L-1 > Up+Y > L-2 > Up+A>A>A ||| 194DMG ~HermitHelmet
  • DIGLETT
    L > Up+A>A>A ||| 141DMG ~HermitHelmet
  • ELECTRODE
    L > X, X, X ||| 173DMG (heals HP) ~HermitHelmet
    L > j.X > Y, Y > Up+A ||| 182DMG + 30 = 212DMG (causes PS) ~HermitHelmet
  • EMOLGA
    L > Y, Y ||| 77DMG ~HermitHelmet
    L > Down+A>A>A ||| 90DMG ~HermitHelmet
  • FARFETCH'D
    L > j.X > Y, Y, Y, Y ||| 115DMG
    L > Fwd+A ||| 156DMG ~HermitHelmet
    L > cross-up j.Y > Y, Y, Y, Y ||| 163DMG ~HermitHelmet
  • FENNEKIN
    L > Up+A>A>A ||| 152DMG ~HermitHelmet
  • LAPRAS
    L > Y > Up+A>A>A ||| 223DMG + 30 = 253DMG ~HermitHelmet
    L > Fwd+A ||| 241DMG ~HermitHelmet
  • MAGNETON
    Down+X > L > Up+A>A>A ||| 138DMG + 30 = 168DMG ~HermitHelmet
MIX UPS
  • Teleport can be used to approach opponents and even cross them up. Taking advantage of this, it's possible to close in and air dash to further confuse them with your movement right above them, then landing with any aerial fitting for the situation and converting from there with some of the combos listed above
  • Against shielding opponents, you can do:
    Y, Y > Back+A>Y
    Going from your first 2 weak attacks into Mewtwo's command grab could throw them off guard and get you past their defenses and even opening up for combos off of Telekenesis. However, this doesn't actually string into the Telekenesis on block, so if they happen to throw out an attack after Y, Y your grab can be stuffed out with a critical hit.
TIPS
  • High Stance - Mewtwo can hold Up to change to his high stance, in which he is able to slowly build up Synergy. Despite it being really slow it's still somewhat useful for building up Synergy against opponents that approach too slowly and have no projectiles to throw at you.
  • Recommended Cheer Skills - Synergy Focused, Pressure Focused and Special
    Seeing as Mewtwo's Synergy is one of the slowest to build up, taking advantage of certain Cheer Skills to help with that is recommended. Personally, I favor 'Special', seeing as it gives a 40% boost to Synergy if I win a round, and if I lose one, both supports will be at Max. It's heavily momentum based, but it fits my playstyle with Yveltal/Latios and has worked well for the most part, as I haven't really relied on Synergy too much.
Combos will be ordered from smallest total damage, to highest, ignoring the move that starts the combo or how long it is. I should note, that ALL OF THESE COMBOS WERE DONE ON BLAZIKEN/LUCARIO UNLESS OTHERWISE SPECIFIED

• Back+P>W > Up+W > JC fwd > j.W > j.S |||| around 112DMG
  • W,W > Back+P>P ||| 114DMG
  • Back+P>W > W,W > Down+P>P>P ||| 118DMG
    ^ RELIABLE Back+P>W CONVERSION VS NON-BLAZIKENS ^
  • Back+P>W > S,S,S > Up+W > JC fwd > j.W > j.S ||| 132DMG (S,S,S performs strong>Barrier>Drain Punch, which will heal HP; causes PS)
  • Down+S, S > fwd+S ||| 137DMG
  • W, W > Back+P>S ||| 138DMG (recovers HP)
  • Fwd+S > W, W > Back+P>P ||| 142DMG
  • [S+P] > fwd W>W ||| 147 DMG
  • W, W, W, W ||| 153DMG
  • Down+S, S > Down+P>P>P ||| 160DMG
  • Fwd+S > Up+W > JC fwd > j.W (all hits) > j.S ||| 173DMG
  • j.S > S > Up+P>P>P ||| 188DMG
  • j.W > j.S > W, W, W, W ||| 194DMG (if 15 hits, damage can vary due to the multi hits from j.W altering the damage scaling; 194DMG assumes j.W only hit twice before comboing into j.S)
  • Up+W > JC back+AD > j.W > S, S, S ||| 194DMG (restores HP)

DUEL PHASE, MID-SCREEN (carrying from mid-screen to a wall; tested in Diggersby Land's size)
  • Fwd+S > Down+S, S > Fwd S ||| 163DMG
^ this will wall splat, allowing the following wall finishers with the following total damage ^
  • Back+P>P ||| 166DMG + 30 = 196DMG (requires waiting for them to slide down)
  • S ||| 172DMG + 30 = 202DMG (requires waiting for them to slide down)
  • Up+P ||| 173DMG + 30 = 203DMG
  • Fwd+S ||| 178DMG + 30 = 208DMG (requires waiting for them to slide down)W, W ||| 180DMG + 30 = 210DMG (requires waiting for them to slide down)
  • Back+P>S ||| 182DMG (requires waiting for them to slide down; causes PS, but doesn't wall bounce, so no +30DMG)
  • Fwd+W, W ||| 185DMG + 30 = 215DMG (requires waiting for them to slide down)

• Down+S > W, W, W, W ||| 182DMG
  • Down+S > Down+P>P>P ||| 192DMG
  • Down+S > W > Back+P>S > Up+W > JC fwd > j.W > j.S ||| 195DMG
  • Down+S > Up+P>P>P ||| 166DMG+30WBDMG = 196DMG (non-timed Psystrike) / 229DMG + 30WBDMG = 259DMG (timed Psystrike, causes PS regardless)
  • Down+S > Back+P>P > W, W > Up+P>P>P ||| 203DMG + 30 = 233DMG (non-timed Psystrike) / 231DMG + 30 = 261DMG (timed Psystrike, causes PS regardless)
  • j.P (if 5-6 Focus Blast hits = 232DMG total from full combo) > W, W > Up+P>P>P ||| 232DMG + 30 = 262DMG (non-timed Psystrike) / 250DMG + 30 = 280DMG timed Psystrike, causes PS regardless)

FIELD PHASE
  • Back+P>W > S, S, S ||| 107DMG (Back+P>W is Telekenesis just like in Duel Phase)

• FARFETCH'D (all of these assume Mewtwo attacks after Farfetch'd's 3-hit combo before disappearing)
    L > Back+P>S ||| 92DMG (causes PS; Back+P>S = Drain Punch, heals damage)
    L > j.P ||| 106DMG
    L > j.S ||| 116DMG (causes PS; requires you to chase the opponent+Farfetch'd for the j.S to connect)
    L > P, P ||| 117DMG
    L > W, W, W ||| 123DMG (causes PS)
    L > S, S, S ||| 134DMG (causes PS)
    L > Fwd+P ||| 156DMG (causes PS; Fwd+P = Hyper Beam)

• CUBONE (L-1 = Bonemerang 1st hit/Cubone summon; L-2 = Bonemerang 2nd hit, automatic)
    L-1 > Up+W > L-2 > Up+P>P>P ||| 194DMG

• DIGLETT
    L > Up+P>P>P ||| 141DMG

• ELECTRODE
  • L > S, S, S ||| 173DMG (heals HP)
  • L > j.S > W, W > Up+P ||| 182DMG + 30 = 212DMG (causes PS)

• EMOLGA
    L > W, W ||| 77DMG
    L > Down+P>P>P ||| 90DMG

• FARFETCH'D
    L > j.S > W, W, W, W ||| 115DMG
    L > Fwd+P ||| 156DMG
    L > cross-up j.W > W, W, W, W ||| 163DMG

• FENNEKIN
  • L > Up+P>P>P ||| 152DMG

• LAPRAS
  • L > W > Up+P>P>P ||| 223DMG + 30 = 253DMG
    L > Fwd+P ||| 241DMG

• MAGNETON
    Down+S > L > Up+P>P>P ||| 138DMG + 30 = 168DMG

If anybody else has combos they wanna share, feel free to do so! If you are going to test things out, remember to make the CPU react with blocks. To do this, press select in Training Mode. Under Basic Settings, change Reaction Settings to Block, and done! This will make the CPU shield as a reaction after your attacks, so it helps see which attacks actually connect into each other. If they manage to put up shield, it means what you just did isn't a combo the whole way through.

With that being said, I hope you all enjoy the content in this thread. Any suggestions or feedback is appreciated!

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
You gotta have great fundamentals to succeed with Mewtwo. His moves are strong and all fairly useful, but he takes an eternity to build up his synergy, which isn't helped by his specials (didn't know this until reading the first post, though I noticed the drop) consuming it. The Pressure or Synergy-focused cheers come highly recommended.

Jexulus

Omnivore of the Year
NNID
Jexulus
3DS FC
3883-5870-2795
You gotta have great fundamentals to succeed with Mewtwo. His moves are strong and all fairly useful, but he takes an eternity to build up his synergy, which isn't helped by his specials (didn't know this until reading the first post, though I noticed the drop) consuming it. The Pressure or Synergy-focused cheers come highly recommended.
It should be noted that at least some of his specials will build slightly more Synergy than he loses on hit. This was made clear when I saw a video of someone landing Hyper Beam after they had full Synergy Gauge. They immediately dropped out of full meter, but it built right back up to full before the Phase Shift occurred.

Basically, if you want to build Synergy effectively, your special move usage has to be on point.

Also, according to Serebii.net, when Mewtwo enters High-Stance in Duel Mode, he gradually builds up Synergy gauge. Most characters in the game have some sort of special property while they're in High Stance, and Mewtwo's helps to mitigate his biggest hinderance.

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer
Good work! I'll be practicing these later on in the day. Still trying to get through story mode.

After unlocking :150: last night I tried playing a bit with it on training mode and ended up going to bed a 3AM... Anyways, found him incredibly fun. Nice seeing PokkénBoards take shape!

Last edited:

sWiTcHeRoO [疾~斬]

The Visionary
NNID
Yuchkins
3DS FC
0130-2970-6312
Made a handful of changes and added some combos.
Anything new I add I will make sure to color code in orange (anything in a new update will be orange and stuff from the previous edit will no longer be color coded so as to not mix up various edit changes).

HermitHelmet

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Hermit_Helmet1
I will be making a video today on Support Combos with Mewtwo, I'll make a separate thread for it, just a heads up.

sWiTcHeRoO [疾~斬]

The Visionary
NNID
Yuchkins
3DS FC
0130-2970-6312
I will be making a video today on Support Combos with Mewtwo, I'll make a separate thread for it, just a heads up.
You could just post it here, this post is already stickied and all. I could add it to the OP and credit you (as well as listing them as text).

Your call though, I suppose. I just think sharing everything here would be more organized considering it's the same subject.

Last edited:

HermitHelmet

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Hermit_Helmet1
You could just post it here, this post is already stickied and all. I could add it to the OP and credit you (as well as listing them as text).

Your call though, I suppose. I just think thisd this'd be more organized.

I guess I'll make a new thread, will give more exposure that way

Last edited:

TheRealSkid

Smash Apprentice
Two things:
For some reason, mewtwo's High Stance does nothing to my gauge. Is it like a slow increase over time thing?

Also, I have found that x>psystrike combos. But is this viable since there is the x>drain punch combo instead?

sWiTcHeRoO [疾~斬]

The Visionary
NNID
Yuchkins
3DS FC
0130-2970-6312
Two things:
For some reason, mewtwo's High Stance does nothing to my gauge. Is it like a slow increase over time thing?

Also, I have found that x>psystrike combos. But is this viable since there is the x>drain punch combo instead?
It's a really slow charge, unfortunately. Still a thing, however.

X > Psystrike does combo, but going for it is personally a 50/50. If the opponent is still on the ground they can just hold shield during the first multi-hits of Psystrike, and they will be able to just suddenly block the rest and not get carried to the air for the 2 other hits. If they don't know about this (or they simply don't hold shield to everything) it's not a bad setup, but since it's unreliable vs anyone aware of this, it can be unsafe.
This applies to any hit confirm into Psystrike. Hitstun does not add up or anything, so whatever move you're using is what'll cause hitstun at that moment (like the super hard hitstun from X doesn't matter during the multi-hits of Psystrike which are weaker and, as I said, can be blocked in-between).
Simply going for Drain Punch, Confusion or even Hyper Beam (yes, it works) is more reliable. The first 2 work if you don't wanna Phase Shift just yet, but the latter is good if you wanna Phase Shift and get them off of you.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Just pointing out, Burst increases the damage done by Psystrike both when mashed and timed properly. About 123~193 respectively.

Just for fun, I also tested X > Up A > (timed) A > (timed) A

It worked for me when the opponent was pressed on a wall. Total damage was 235 (+ 30 for the wall bounce)

Although it's difficult to land in neutral, Up X > Up A > (timed) A does a whopping 280 (+30 for wall bounce), or 245/275 for mashing.

Last edited:

Inune

Smash Rookie
I greatly appreciate this list, but I always have to be difficult and rebind all my buttons to suit whatever quirks my brain has over controller layouts. Naturally, that makes it hard to parse A, X, & Y when I read input lists, so I rewrote all of them with a more standardized notation:

P = Pokemon Move = default "A"
S = Strong Move (Duel), Homing Move (Field) = default "X"
W = Weak Move (Duel), Ranged Move (Field) = default "Y"

On the off chance that anyone else might, like me, find it difficult to parse input lists with rebound button layouts, here's the original post rewritten in that notation (all other notation is the same):

Combos will be ordered from smallest total damage, to highest, ignoring the move that starts the combo or how long it is. I should note, that ALL OF THESE COMBOS WERE DONE ON BLAZIKEN/LUCARIO UNLESS OTHERWISE SPECIFIED

• Back+P>W > Up+W > JC fwd > j.W > j.S |||| around 112DMG
  • W,W > Back+P>P ||| 114DMG
  • Back+P>W > W,W > Down+P>P>P ||| 118DMG
    ^ RELIABLE Back+P>W CONVERSION VS NON-BLAZIKENS ^
  • Back+P>W > S,S,S > Up+W > JC fwd > j.W > j.S ||| 132DMG (S,S,S performs strong>Barrier>Drain Punch, which will heal HP; causes PS)
  • Down+S, S > fwd+S ||| 137DMG
  • W, W > Back+P>S ||| 138DMG (recovers HP)
  • Fwd+S > W, W > Back+P>P ||| 142DMG
  • [S+P] > fwd W>W ||| 147 DMG
  • W, W, W, W ||| 153DMG
  • Down+S, S > Down+P>P>P ||| 160DMG
  • Fwd+S > Up+W > JC fwd > j.W (all hits) > j.S ||| 173DMG
  • j.S > S > Up+P>P>P ||| 188DMG
  • j.W > j.S > W, W, W, W ||| 194DMG (if 15 hits, damage can vary due to the multi hits from j.W altering the damage scaling; 194DMG assumes j.W only hit twice before comboing into j.S)
  • Up+W > JC back+AD > j.W > S, S, S ||| 194DMG (restores HP)

• Fwd+S > Down+S, S > Fwd S ||| 163DMG
  • Back+P>P ||| 166DMG + 30 = 196DMG (requires waiting for them to slide down)
  • S ||| 172DMG + 30 = 202DMG (requires waiting for them to slide down)
  • Up+P ||| 173DMG + 30 = 203DMG
  • Fwd+S ||| 178DMG + 30 = 208DMG (requires waiting for them to slide down)W, W ||| 180DMG + 30 = 210DMG (requires waiting for them to slide down)
  • Back+P>S ||| 182DMG (requires waiting for them to slide down; causes PS, but doesn't wall bounce, so no +30DMG)
  • Fwd+W, W ||| 185DMG + 30 = 215DMG (requires waiting for them to slide down)

• Down+S > W, W, W, W ||| 182DMG
  • Down+S > Down+P>P>P ||| 192DMG
  • Down+S > W > Back+P>S > Up+W > JC fwd > j.W > j.S ||| 195DMG
  • Down+S > Up+P>P>P ||| 166DMG+30WBDMG = 196DMG (non-timed Psystrike) / 229DMG + 30WBDMG = 259DMG (timed Psystrike, causes PS regardless)
  • Down+S > Back+P>P > W, W > Up+P>P>P ||| 203DMG + 30 = 233DMG (non-timed Psystrike) / 231DMG + 30 = 261DMG (timed Psystrike, causes PS regardless)
  • j.P (if 5-6 Focus Blast hits = 232DMG total from full combo) > W, W > Up+P>P>P ||| 232DMG + 30 = 262DMG (non-timed Psystrike) / 250DMG + 30 = 280DMG timed Psystrike, causes PS regardless)

FIELD PHASE
  • Back+P>W > S, S, S ||| 107DMG (Back+P>W is Telekenesis just like in Duel Phase)

L > Back+P>S ||| 92DMG (causes PS; Back+P>S = Drain Punch, heals damage)
    L > j.P ||| 106DMG
    L > j.S ||| 116DMG (causes PS; requires you to chase the opponent+Farfetch'd for the j.S to connect)
    L > P, P ||| 117DMG
    L > W, W, W ||| 123DMG (causes PS)
    L > S, S, S ||| 134DMG (causes PS)
    L > Fwd+P ||| 156DMG (causes PS; Fwd+P = Hyper Beam)

L-1 > Up+W > L-2 > Up+P>P>P ||| 194DMG

• DIGLETT
    L > Up+P>P>P ||| 141DMG

• ELECTRODE
  • L > S, S, S ||| 173DMG (heals HP)
  • L > j.S > W, W > Up+P ||| 182DMG + 30 = 212DMG (causes PS)

• EMOLGA
    L > W, W ||| 77DMG
    L > Down+P>P>P ||| 90DMG

• FARFETCH'D
    L > j.S > W, W, W, W ||| 115DMG
    L > Fwd+P ||| 156DMG
    L > cross-up j.W > W, W, W, W ||| 163DMG

• FENNEKIN
  • L > Up+P>P>P ||| 152DMG

• LAPRAS
  • L > W > Up+P>P>P ||| 223DMG + 30 = 253DMG
    L > Fwd+P ||| 241DMG

• MAGNETON
    Down+S > L > Up+P>P>P ||| 138DMG + 30 = 168DMG

Thanks again for the work putting this together!

Last edited:

sWiTcHeRoO [疾~斬]

The Visionary
NNID
Yuchkins
3DS FC
0130-2970-6312
Inune Inune Thanks! I will add your post to the OP under a spoiler when I get the time to do so on my PC.
Definitely helpful to have for those like you. I simply found Gamepad/Pro layout to be easier to go by as the default initially.

Last edited:

Plazmatic

Smash Rookie
NNID
PlazmaticTv
Another great Mix-up that I haven't seen a lot of Mewtwos utilize is using the A -> A Psycho cut combo, but cancelling it with R and then punishing the enemies shield / counter with either a command grab or normal grab.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I see two main ways of running Mewtwo: the Pressure build with said cheer and fast-charging supports, and Support which uses the Support cheer and powerful support mons while forgoing Synergy in favour of winning rounds efficiently.

sWiTcHeRoO [疾~斬]

The Visionary
NNID
Yuchkins
3DS FC
0130-2970-6312
I see two main ways of running Mewtwo: the Pressure build with said cheer and fast-charging supports, and Support which uses the Support cheer and powerful support mons while forgoing Synergy in favour of winning rounds efficiently.
I personally run Special and I find that viable as well. Considering that you either gain 40% more to your Synergy if you take a round, and max Support Gauge if you lose it, it's a good set of extremes if you can make good use of either boon with your playstyle and support choices.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I personally run Special and I find that viable as well. Considering that you either gain 40% more to your Synergy if you take a round, and max Support Gauge if you lose it, it's a good set of extremes if you can make good use of either boon with your playstyle and support choices.
Thing is, no matter what you do Mewtwo is not going to fill his gauge until the third round (maybe if you REALLY draw out the first round gathering synergy, but I still doubt it). The synergy benefit from Special works best at preserving momentum by making it possible to attain synergy in two consecutive rounds more easily (or for Gengar, helping to ensure victory after a successful first round win sans synergy), but for Mewtwo that's just not possible.

Though, I suppose it's still a good choice if you like running fast/slow charging support pairs like Latios/Yvetal or Espeon/Umbreon.
I just don't think Mewtwo benefits from it quite as much as others.

sWiTcHeRoO [疾~斬]

The Visionary
NNID
Yuchkins
3DS FC
0130-2970-6312
Thing is, no matter what you do Mewtwo is not going to fill his gauge until the third round (maybe if you REALLY draw out the first round gathering synergy, but I still doubt it). The synergy benefit from Special works best at preserving momentum by making it possible to attain synergy in two consecutive rounds more easily (or for Gengar, helping to ensure victory after a successful first round win sans synergy), but for Mewtwo that's just not possible.

Though, I suppose it's still a good choice if you like running fast/slow charging support pairs like Latios/Yvetal or Espeon/Umbreon.
I just don't think Mewtwo benefits from it quite as much as others.
Definitely. I keep saying "personally", because it's what I use, and I find it works quite well. I suppose it's mostly because I don't rely too much on Mewtwo's Synergy (especially since it runs out quick anyway) so I don't need to try building it up a second time in a set. One time is enough for me, but of course with varying playstyles this isn't true for everybody.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Definitely. I keep saying "personally", because it's what I use, and I find it works quite well. I suppose it's mostly because I don't rely too much on Mewtwo's Synergy (especially since it runs out quick anyway) so I don't need to try building it up a second time in a set. One time is enough for me, but of course with varying playstyles this isn't true for everybody.
Have you EVER gotten Mewtwo's Synergy more than once in a match, or in a round other than the third? Really, I'm curious.

Because otherwise it's (Special cheer) effectiveness is somewhat dubious and specific on Mewtwo. The only time Special gives optimal benefit is if you win the first round and lose the second to have both a nearly ready gauge and support charged. It can't be said enough: Synergy is useless until it's full. So either run Pressure to guarantee both Synergy AND charged support for the final round, or Support to increase the odds of a two-round victory. Heck, I'd even say Standard works better as a middling cheer since even that guarantees at least one charged support for the last round.

Last edited:

sWiTcHeRoO [疾~斬]

The Visionary
NNID
Yuchkins
3DS FC
0130-2970-6312
Have you EVER gotten Mewtwo's Synergy more than once in a match, or in a round other than the third? Really, I'm curious.

Because otherwise it's (Special cheer) effectiveness is somewhat dubious and specific on Mewtwo. The only time Special gives optimal benefit is if you win the first round and lose the second to have both a nearly ready gauge and support charged. It can't be said enough: Synergy is useless until it's full. So either run Pressure to guarantee both Synergy AND charged support for the final round, or Support to increase the odds of a two-round victory. Heck, I'd even say Standard works better as a middling cheer since even that guarantees at least one charged support for the last round.
I haven't, but I haven't felt the need to get more than 1 Synergy Burst in a set.
You can run your support set how you like, there are 6 to choose from for that reason, and I chose to run Special and it works well for ME. It's that simple.

TheRealSkid

Smash Apprentice
Personally, I use synergy focused. Mewtwo's synergy gives him more damage and seemingly armor on his attacks like his spinning demon (down x x), his neutral x, and his y y y y. I will lab this when I can.
What support sets do you guys use? I like using reshiram and cresselia.

"UUUUUAH!"
-Reshiram

sWiTcHeRoO [疾~斬]

The Visionary
NNID
Yuchkins
3DS FC
0130-2970-6312
Personally, I use synergy focused. Mewtwo's synergy gives him more damage and seemingly armor on his attacks like his spinning demon (down x x), his neutral x, and his y y y y. I will lab this when I can.

"UUUUUAH!"
-Reshiram
That armor may be against weak attacks in general. Every Pokemon gains armor against Y moves (regardless of Field or Duel) when they activate Synergy, even if you're not performing attacks or anything. You can just be walking and it will not make you flinch.
Assuming Mewtwo does get armor while performing those moves against opponent's X moves, though, that's definitely worth looking into. As far as I know, all Mewtwo gains in Synergy is a one-hit j.Y in Duel (replacing the multi-hit orbs thing), and Drain Punch gains more range because he stretches his arm during it, which actually makes it safer on block if spaced optimally.

Last edited:

TheRealSkid

Smash Apprentice
sWiTcHeRoO [疾~斬] sWiTcHeRoO [疾~斬] ooh, didn't know about the drain punch buff in synergy. Good to know, thanks.
As for the other stuff, I won't be able to lab today. I'll try and get on tomorrow.
But if anyone knows this by any chance, does a falling late aerial y combo into anything when not in synergy like how say Lucario's does? Thanks.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548

"UUUUUAH!"
-Reshiram
I ask this again: has anyone ever gotten Synergy in less than three rounds with Mewtwo? That's the only way the respective cheer could be useful. Otherwise you'd be better off with a cheer that gives you support.

As for running Reshiram/Cresselia... so do half the players online, regardless of who they use. They're honestly a case where their supposed downsides aren't, really. Cresselia's "only one use per round" is mitigated by the generally short duration of rounds, and Reshiram's "hits only in a straight line" is a non-factor in duel, where the only real way to "beat" it is grabbing before it can come out, as otherwise you're forced to block and get pushed far away with massive block damage. Now, I'm not saying they break the game or anything, but they are just a little overtuned for my tastes and could do with some tweaks. I dunno, it just feels like people just use them because they're really good instead of as part of a strategy. That said, with the right Synergy cheer (like Special), Cresselia might just get Mewtwo's synergy in round two. Just a theory, though.

As for other supports, Mewtwo's versatile enough that you can basically bring what you want based on how you play or your opponent.

DoctorRotom

Smash Cadet
j.X > X > Fwd+A. Tested on Lucario in Duel, 207 DMG, causes PS. I apologize if anybody has already figured this one out. I got really excited about comboing into Hyper Beam and wanted to post immediately lol.

Last edited:

Deaga

Smash Cadet
About the whole "Synergy before Round 3?" thing:

I've been using Mewtwo with Cresselia+Reshiram and Special Cheering. My strategy generally is as follows: (tl;dr using Cresselia on Rounds 1 and 2, assuming I win R1 means that I can generally pull off a Synergy Burst on R2. If I lose a round, I take Reshiram on the next one.)

Round 1: Go with Cresselia as support, try to use her ASAP to boost synergy gauge and get a nice heal.

Round 2: (If I won R1) Go with Cress again, as she charges faster. By now, between charging up the gauge in R1, using Cress in R1 and the +40% Synergy on win, my Synergy gauge should be almost full. Sometimes I get it to full before Cresselia even chargers up, but that's rare. But using Cresselia guarantees that it will fill up. Then I'll try to pull of a quick win with Mewtwo's great Synergy Burst move.

Round 3: (Win R1, lose R2) If I lose R2 in this case, I'll pick up Reshiram as it'll be fully charged and it's impossible to charge the Synergy Gauge again before the game ends. :p Reshiram is a nice clutch to win, though, coming nearly in an instant and dealing crazy damage.

Now, if I lose Round 1:

Round 2: (If I lost R1) Take Reshiram, as I likely won't be able to get a full Synergy Gauge this round and try to win with Reshiram's broken support. Pretty much the same as R3 in the previous case.

Round 3: (Lose R1, Win R2) Now I'll take Cress, even with a (likely) full support Gauge, as charging up Reshiram is pretty much impossible. I'll try to use Cresselia as a heal whenever I get a lot of recoverable HP. I can also use it as clutch in case some Pokémon move eats a bit of my Synergy Gauge and I need to burst ASAP for whatever reason, but I'll keep her as a heal most of the time if it comes to a R3 like this.

I've been thinking for a while of using a more optimal Support Set for combos, though. Just as meleebrawler theorized, I've been using this set because it's a low risk/high reward thing: it's very easy to use optimally and it gets good results. However, maybe using some more "combo-ish" supports I could get even better results by investing a bit on learning them. :p However, without Cresselia, Synergy Burst will likely only come up on Round 3. I wonder if using a Support Cheer is viable on this case? Or do you REALLY need to get a Synergy boost on some round to get a Burst even on Round 3? >_> Not sure here, I only ever used Mewtwo with Standard or Special Cheering.

TheRealSkid

Smash Apprentice
Deaga Deaga that's effective, I'll use that.
meleebrawler meleebrawler im a scrub that can't quote posts but you said they may need some tweaks. While I get that kinda (and that yveltal is too imo), I do in fact have a strategy (besides the above one). I prefer using reshiram in that it punishes beautifully on very aggressive opponents, and cresselia gives that little boost to my synergy gauge that I need to fill it.

Deaga

Smash Cadet
Oh, I only just now saw you asking about aerial Y! You can actually do Aerial X after that move if it connects and proceed into basic training mode combos from there. for example,

Air Y > Air X > Ground Down X.X > Down A.A.A

There's also DoctorRotom DoctorRotom 's combo into Hyper Beam, which I'll try out as soon as I can!

sWiTcHeRoO [疾~斬]

The Visionary
NNID
Yuchkins
3DS FC
0130-2970-6312
X does in fact combo into Hyper Beam, surprisingly. I forgot to list it up, mostly cause I found out mid-match and I never labbed it to see the damage total. If someone gets that I can update it, haven't had the time to play.

DoctorRotom

Smash Cadet
X does in fact combo into Hyper Beam, surprisingly. I forgot to list it up, mostly cause I found out mid-match and I never labbed it to see the damage total. If someone gets that I can update it, haven't had the time to play.
I'm off work in about 7 hours, so I'll get it to you if nobody else does before then. I didn't try without the Aerial X, so I apologize.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Deaga Deaga that's effective, I'll use that.
meleebrawler meleebrawler im a scrub that can't quote posts but you said they may need some tweaks. While I get that kinda (and that yveltal is too imo), I do in fact have a strategy (besides the above one). I prefer using reshiram in that it punishes beautifully on very aggressive opponents, and cresselia gives that little boost to my synergy gauge that I need to fill it.
Eh, Yveltal doesn't hit that big of an area, and it doesn't seal synergy unless the ripple connects completely. And it doesn't annihilate block like Reshiram. I get that slow-charging supports need to be strong, but even compared to all those other supports Reshiram's panic nuke that hits basically the entire duel plane instantly is a bit excessive. It's labelled as attack, but it's more of a better disrupt. Personally I'd make it land a bit further away so that it's still good for powerfully punishing ranged commitments but not getting someone off of you like a disrupt should be doing.

About the whole "Synergy before Round 3?" thing:

I've been using Mewtwo with Cresselia+Reshiram and Special Cheering. My strategy generally is as follows: (tl;dr using Cresselia on Rounds 1 and 2, assuming I win R1 means that I can generally pull off a Synergy Burst on R2. If I lose a round, I take Reshiram on the next one.)

Round 1: Go with Cresselia as support, try to use her ASAP to boost synergy gauge and get a nice heal.

Round 2: (If I won R1) Go with Cress again, as she charges faster. By now, between charging up the gauge in R1, using Cress in R1 and the +40% Synergy on win, my Synergy gauge should be almost full. Sometimes I get it to full before Cresselia even chargers up, but that's rare. But using Cresselia guarantees that it will fill up. Then I'll try to pull of a quick win with Mewtwo's great Synergy Burst move.

Round 3: (Win R1, lose R2) If I lose R2 in this case, I'll pick up Reshiram as it'll be fully charged and it's impossible to charge the Synergy Gauge again before the game ends. :p Reshiram is a nice clutch to win, though, coming nearly in an instant and dealing crazy damage.

Now, if I lose Round 1:

Round 2: (If I lost R1) Take Reshiram, as I likely won't be able to get a full Synergy Gauge this round and try to win with Reshiram's broken support. Pretty much the same as R3 in the previous case.

Round 3: (Lose R1, Win R2) Now I'll take Cress, even with a (likely) full support Gauge, as charging up Reshiram is pretty much impossible. I'll try to use Cresselia as a heal whenever I get a lot of recoverable HP. I can also use it as clutch in case some Pokémon move eats a bit of my Synergy Gauge and I need to burst ASAP for whatever reason, but I'll keep her as a heal most of the time if it comes to a R3 like this.

I've been thinking for a while of using a more optimal Support Set for combos, though. Just as meleebrawler theorized, I've been using this set because it's a low risk/high reward thing: it's very easy to use optimally and it gets good results. However, maybe using some more "combo-ish" supports I could get even better results by investing a bit on learning them. :p However, without Cresselia, Synergy Burst will likely only come up on Round 3. I wonder if using a Support Cheer is viable on this case? Or do you REALLY need to get a Synergy boost on some round to get a Burst even on Round 3? >_> Not sure here, I only ever used Mewtwo with Standard or Special Cheering.
Have you tried using Jirachi for a similar effect? It may not be as potent but with both having average charge speeds it's more flexible, plus Jirachi can be used multiple times with proper cheer, use AND makes the synergy burst all the more potent.

Deaga

Smash Cadet
I'm going to be very honest, even it makes me seem dumb: I'm generally not too much into using Jirachi because I have no idea what Whimsicott actually does. :p What projectiles does it block? Jirachi DOES seem like an interesting option by buffing the Synergy Burst itself, though.

I've also been thinking of using a full Synergy Cheer build with different supports. Maybe that's enough to not rely on Cresselia's (or Jirachi's) effect, allowing the use of other supports? Just throwing out an idea.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I'm going to be very honest, even it makes me seem dumb: I'm generally not too much into using Jirachi because I have no idea what Whimsicott actually does. :p What projectiles does it block? Jirachi DOES seem like an interesting option by buffing the Synergy Burst itself, though.

I've also been thinking of using a full Synergy Cheer build with different supports. Maybe that's enough to not rely on Cresselia's (or Jirachi's) effect, allowing the use of other supports? Just throwing out an idea.
Whimsicott blocks anything that's not a huge laser like Hyper Beam... so I guess any projectile that wouldn't normally pierce a counter. The projectiles are nullified before they even touch you. And it heals you, of course.

Sadly, even being active from the first round, the way Synergy cheer works means you don't get a big boost unless you lose, so it's not that reliable for round 2 bursts. Maybe if you wanted to absolutely ensure you have synergy from the get-go in round 3.

Deaga

Smash Cadet
Oh, I thought it would give the +40% on a win rather than a loss. In that case, yeah, it doesn't sound too hot. :/ Standard seems much better in that case, as having a full support is much butter than +10% synergy in case of a win. I will try the Jirachi+Whimsicott combo with Special Cheering, though, it sounds pretty good. I've been having some trouble with the likes of Gardevoir (online lag makes it super tough to CADC :( ), Whimsicott will probably help on that front. :p And a buffed Burst seems like a godsend.

However, I'm also pretty interested in going with a Suport Cheer, pretty much leaving Burst for R3 and using a bunch of supports on the previous rounds. Which supports would be good for Mewtwo? I've read nice things about Farfetch'd, but I'd like some more options. Latios also seems pretty good, but it's paired with Yveltal which I never does anything with me. >_> Then again, with Support Cheering I guess I could use just Latios all the time.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Oh, I thought it would give the +40% on a win rather than a loss. In that case, yeah, it doesn't sound too hot. :/ Standard seems much better in that case, as having a full support is much butter than +10% synergy in case of a win. I will try the Jirachi+Whimsicott combo with Special Cheering, though, it sounds pretty good. I've been having some trouble with the likes of Gardevoir (online lag makes it super tough to CADC :( ), Whimsicott will probably help on that front. :p And a buffed Burst seems like a godsend.

However, I'm also pretty interested in going with a Suport Cheer, pretty much leaving Burst for R3 and using a bunch of supports on the previous rounds. Which supports would be good for Mewtwo? I've read nice things about Farfetch'd, but I'd like some more options. Latios also seems pretty good, but it's paired with Yveltal which I never does anything with me. >_> Then again, with Support Cheering I guess I could use just Latios all the time.
As I said before, Mewtwo is versatile enough that he can work well with pretty much any support, depending on your playstyle. You'll definitely want to consider slow-charging pairs that would normally be limited, though. Pachirisu/Magikarp is a well-rounded pair for zoners and rushdown alike. The former being Whimsicott on steroids (minus healing), and the latter being great when your back is against the wall and doesn't require precise timing like most other disrupts. Magneton/Quagsire is also a strong choice, Tri-Beam causes nasty debuffs (synergy weaken plus a random stat debuff), slams opponents in a wall and might be able to be comboed into, while Mud Bomb can cause massive chip damage if you're willing to spend a bit of synergy on hyper beam. I also get the feeling that Support with Jirachi might help with potential Synergy deficits.

againiam

Smash Rookie
I ask this again: has anyone ever gotten Synergy in less than three rounds with Mewtwo? That's the only way the respective cheer could be useful. Otherwise you'd be better off with a cheer that gives you support.

As for running Reshiram/Cresselia... so do half the players online, regardless of who they use. They're honestly a case where their supposed downsides aren't, really. Cresselia's "only one use per round" is mitigated by the generally short duration of rounds, and Reshiram's "hits only in a straight line" is a non-factor in duel, where the only real way to "beat" it is grabbing before it can come out, as otherwise you're forced to block and get pushed far away with massive block damage. Now, I'm not saying they break the game or anything, but they are just a little overtuned for my tastes and could do with some tweaks. I dunno, it just feels like people just use them because they're really good instead of as part of a strategy. That said, with the right Synergy cheer (like Special), Cresselia might just get Mewtwo's synergy in round two. Just a theory, though.

As for other supports, Mewtwo's versatile enough that you can basically bring what you want based on how you play or your opponent.
It's easy to fill synergy in round 2 if you're causing lots of phase shifts. I tend to grab a lot, which always shifts phases and tends to do less damage than other phase shifting options which really pushes that synergy gauge up. Also not whiffing your pokemon attacks and picking up the synergy drops helps too. Using standard or synergy cheer and losing the first round tends to make the gauge full in the second round too.

Deaga

Smash Cadet
Isn't it better to simply go j.Y > j.X > Y,Y,Y,Y? (or any other option after j.X, you can do plenty of combos after that) You can pull a j.X after a sucessfull j.Y and it true combos, rather than being a 50/50.

Top Bottom