• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mewtwo Stage Advantages?

X Riptide X

Smash Cadet
(There's M2 tech, matchup, and frame data threads, but no stage ones? I suppose there's a first for everything.)

To start this off... While I've seen that M2 performs well on large stages, I've found that Battlefield allows for amazing mobility. Teleporting around the stage seems to be a pretty great option, and if you get an aerial combo started, you can do sometimes surprise your opponent and get a kill off the top by doing a grounded teleport to the top ledge and inputting up smash, uair, or fair. The low ceiling allows for some pretty easy kills with up throw (starting at the high 90's for floaty characters) and since the horizontal blastzones are pretty close, forward/back throw both seem to be nice kill options at higher percents, and can lead into some easy edgeguards at low-mid percents. Down throw from the main platform can lead into techchases on the ledges.

FD seems great against spacies when it comes to edgeguarding and combos, but Falcos tend to pressure me with SHFFL lasers a lot.

I've only had PM for a little over a month, forgive my noobishness (does that count as a john of some sort? I hope not). The BF data on this thread is probably common knowledge, but to hell with it. Any other opinions on whatever stages are advantageous for M2?

Last edited:

InfinityCollision

Smash Lord
There's M2 tech, matchup, and frame data threads, but no stage ones?
You didn't look very hard.

Battlefield is good. Not a fan of FD, it's important to remember that it's also a very good stage for spacies. Chaingrabs don't necessarily offset their gains in space/stage control and your loss of platform mobility.

I tend to put stages in a few categories that may vary situationally:

Battlefield, Norfair, and Skyworld are probably Mewtwo's strongest stages overall. Lylat, WW, FoD, YS, PS2, Smashville, Dreamland, and DP are at least situationally okay, and I generally strike GHZ, YIB, and FD. Delfino's Secret will be amazing for Mewtwo in 3.6.

Last edited:

~Frozen~

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Frozen491
3DS FC
3909-8017-8600
I actually really like FD for Mewtwo, the somewhat low ceiling combined with his sword tail makes it pretty good for him, and the large stage is much appreciated too.

I really like BF, PS2, and DL64 the most (unless you're playing Puff, Zelda, Peach, or maybe Dedede). Norfair, Skyworld (sad this is banned from Nova :( ), and DP are all great too. I love FD vs spacies or characters like Ike who can abuse platforms better than I can.

I think FoD kinda sucks for him, for similar reasons to GHZ. High ceiling, small sides, and a small stage too. At least the platforms are nice though...

Yoshi's Island is indeed booty. I end up striking it often along with GHZ and FoD. I'm eh on Warioware and YS, you get kills early and platform layout is nice but M2 also dies very early...so yea, I'd say its very matchup-dependent there. Smashville isn't bad for Mewtwo either, but I find the platform helps other chars in recovery more than it helps him.

InfinityCollision

Smash Lord
FoD is very execution-dependent. I generally wouldn't recommend it and usually prefer to go ZSS or Marth on FoD if the matchup permits, but the potential is there.

X Riptide X

Smash Cadet
Yeah, FoD seems rather iffy with Mewtwo. The changing platforms can potentially mess up your teleports around the stage, and then there's that stratospheric ceiling. Dreamland isn't the best for the same reasons. The Emukiller vs Ally match shows that pretty well.

Any opinions on Skyloft? There's sufficient room for Mewtwo to run circles around other characters, and the ceiling is pretty low, kind of like PS2. You could lead into tech chases on the two platforms, so that also seems good for Mewtwo

GalactaKnight

Smash Rookie
NNID
ALEXOCHSIMON
BF, as Mewtwo can just teleport to each platform to get away from the opponent, also to confuse them.

X Riptide X

Smash Cadet
BF, as Mewtwo can just teleport to each platform to get away from the opponent, also to confuse them.
Yes, sir. Blu2's tech video covers teleporting as close to the ground as possible to reduce end lag, and BF is great for that. You can literally travel around BF by ONLY using teleport.

On another note, u-throw or u-smash directly under BF's highest platform seems good. You can punish the tech if it launches them onto the platform, and if they go high enough, grounded teleport puts you right onto the top ledge. From there you can use u-tilt, u-air, or a kill move like fair. I haven't played many real people in PM yet, so I'm not sure about the viability of this. Have people tried it, and if so is it very punishable?

InfinityCollision

Smash Lord
After playing around on it more, I think I've been underrating FoD. High ceiling is meh but the platforms are actually pretty good for Mewtwo.

On the other hand, I probably overrated Skyworld in the past. It's still good, but it's a very inflexible stage in terms of how you should play on it.

Any opinions on Skyloft? There's sufficient room for Mewtwo to run circles around other characters, and the ceiling is pretty low, kind of like PS2. You could lead into tech chases on the two platforms, so that also seems good for Mewtwo
Skyloft? It's good for Mewtwo, but I don't think I've seen it in a competitive stagelist since 3.02.

ShadowKing

Smash Ace
NNID
TheShadowKing24
3DS FC
4785-7167-2769
I've only had PM for a little over a month, forgive my noobishness (does that count as a john of some sort? I hope not). The BF data on this thread is probably common knowledge, but to hell with it. Any other opinions on whatever stages are advantageous for M2?[/quote]

No it doesn't count as a john.plus it really dosent matter what stage he's on in my opinion because he had a great buff from melee like being able to continue combos with teleport and hover witch brings me to my next point

Teleport can help you get to higher areas faster plus like I said you can combo your opponent when you teleport plus have a charged shadow ball with you so you could possibly the minute you get out of teleport hover then release the fully charged SB.

Stages like FD your teleport will be real usefull plus add in a little of wave dash

Last edited:

Tomaster

Smash Journeyman
Im new to mewtwo but so far I've been liking the big stages with big horizontal boundaries, especially against characters with bad recoveries.

Edit: I like battlefield a lot now, I hated it until I learned mewtwo's movement, now it's one of my favorites.

Last edited:
Top Bottom