• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mewtwo Patch 1.1.3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Smash operating buddy, do you have any video footage as evidence?
I eman't in my feeling

I was a March 15th user

Mewtwo's tail attacks were very slow to me at the begining

But as of 1.1.3 it Just feels more accurate and faster attacking on the tail attacks.

It's just a feeling I had when I used mewtwo again.

Lwin

Smash Cadet
NNID
LwinIsPolite
Well they did change a few stats with uair and bair which may have made them easier to land.

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
I can say thanks to this patch bair and dair are much easier to land for me now. Still have troubles getting uairs though...Fair is the same in terms of accuracy.

Dair slaughters cloud and bair offstage. It's great. M2 definitely helps me cover the Cloud matchup since Luigi struggles so hard in it.

Last edited:

GNASTYGNORK

Smash Rookie
Let's not get ahead of ourselves. We still have a horrible grab, bad hitboxes, huge hurtbox, light weight, glitchy ledge options, a terrible tech roll, bad frame data, etc. For all that we did get, none of this has changed.

If anything, this update shows what an absolute cesspool Mewtwo was before.

We may have crawled out of bottom 5, but we're still not too far from it.

It's a nice patch. Let's hope February brings some more fixes.
Yup, i agree, imo this version of Mewtwo is the version that shouldve been released April 15th when he first came out. Im hoping for at bare minimum changes to his grab. And even though i feel we shold be saying exactly what you said "he shouldve been like this and he still needs fixing" Ive got no choice but to be contempt with this cause Mewtwo mains/users were in such a dark place before. Before the buffs were 100% needed to make him a character not in the alpha phase, now im satisfied sadly and am just hoping they thow us exra credit in februaury. Only thing im not sure about is glitchy ledge options cause i dont know what you mean by that.

Metros

Smash Ace
NNID
metros2soul
Yup, i agree, imo this version of Mewtwo is the version that shouldve been released April 15th when he first came out. Im hoping for at bare minimum changes to his grab. And even though i feel we shold be saying exactly what you said "he shouldve been like this and he still needs fixing" Ive got no choice but to be contempt with this cause Mewtwo mains/users were in such a dark place before. Before the buffs were 100% needed to make him a character not in the alpha phase, now im satisfied sadly and am just hoping they thow us exra credit in februaury. Only thing im not sure about is glitchy ledge options cause i dont know what you mean by that.
I honestly think it's better we got the buffs now and he wasn't like that back then. You don't have to agree with me though. The way I see it is that if Mewtwo was that way back then, then a lot more people probably would have used him and he wouldn't have been that character that 'takes people by surprise' as much as he is now. Sure we had to deal with wonky hitboxes and animations that didn't match up but people found ways to make it work.

People like Mew^2 for example. He's worked hard to rep Mewtwo. With the buffs now, I think it's going to make more people notice him because he's had that stigma of not being great from the start. I was quite disappointed with how Mewtwo was when he first came out but I was just like eh and tried my best to make it work.

It would have been nice if he was good since his release, but it really was just down to patience and we got our share of good luck. Hopefully we'll get even more buffs come February. Mewtwo finally feels like the character he should have been from the start, yes, but I'm okay with the buff only coming to us now.

Though we do get the short end of the stick far too often with Mewtwo. Ugh.

Last edited:

Ixisnaugus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
IxisNaugus
I believe I found the method a while ago.
That isn't true. Whilst you did find a method, I tried the exact same scenarios posted in your guide and I didn't get many of the results consistantly (90-100% of the time) that you did for the large majority of my findings, that's why my second testing dummy was Sheik because that's what you used. Your first example is that Mewtwo and Sheik are both facing > and she should be sent <, but my tests found that this only happened 70% of the time and that the direction Sheik faced didn't have an effect on it, whilst the direction Mewtwo faced did (referring to nair cancelling here, not full nair).

You also stated that you found the nair to work at the height of Mewtwo's jump to get the opponent to pop in front of Mewtwo, which isn't what I said at all, and I didn't find this to work as consistently as delaying the FF until Mewtwo has spent a few frames starting to fall.

Your thoughts on FH nair being influenced by DI are indeed correct, I got the exact same results you did.

Your nair guide was also quite hard to find as well (though that's no fault of your own, Smashboards looks very cluttered imho), and I think you should spend more time on it, as it's lacking important information which I needed to lab myself. Which is exactly why I posted my findings here.

Last edited:

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
Okay I spent a long time labbing and I came up with a result that causes Fox and Sheik to fall in front of Mewtwo 100% of the time regardless of how far I go forward while nairing.

As Mewtwo descends from the peak of his jump, input the fast fall. I tried multiple scenarios as well and these were the results I came up with:

Back and Front refer to the positions the opponent goes when they land from the nair.

Mewtwo and fox facing eachother, no inputs. 6 back 4 front.

Mewtwo moving into fox. 8 back 2 front.

Mewtwo moving away from fox. 6 front 4 back.

Mewtwo fast falling as soon as, no directions. 5 front, 5 back.

Mewtwo moving into fox, fast falling as soon as. 7 front, 3 back.

Mewtwo moving away from fox, fast falling as soon as. 9 back 1 front.

Mewtwo moving into fox, fast falling a brief moment after he starts to fall from peak of jump. 10 front 0 back.
Thanks for confirming what I had felt was true. I forgot I had not posted it on Smashboards. Turns out I posted it on Reddit only. oops. Guess I could have saved you some time:

https://www.reddit.com/r/MewtwoMains/comments/3x1l5s/mewtwo_113_summary_discussion/cy0rd0c

Edit: actually, I was doing Nair > Dtilt, not Dtilt > Nair, which is different. Sorry for the confusion.

Last edited:

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
I was able to get fair to combo into dair on Falcon at 33%. I'm pretty certain this is new. Does 27 or 28 depends on which dair hitbox you get.

Also just found fair to fsamash at 15% on falcon stops at 25% I believe. Does 32%

This is with falling fair please keep that in mind.

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
I was able to get fair to combo into dair on Falcon at 33%. I'm pretty certain this is new. Does 27 or 28 depends on which dair hitbox you get.

Also just found fair to fsamash at 15% on falcon stops at 25% I believe. Does 32%

This is with falling fair please keep that in mind.
Yup, the landing frames of falling FAir are so short now, that Fair tends to combo into any reasonably fast move at lower percents. I don't think they are often true combos, though, since I think they can be DIed.

Ixisnaugus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
IxisNaugus
Thanks for confirming what I had felt was true. I forgot I had not posted it on Smashboards. Turns out I posted it on Reddit only. oops. Guess I could have saved you some time:

https://www.reddit.com/r/MewtwoMains/comments/3x1l5s/mewtwo_113_summary_discussion/cy0rd0c

Edit: actually, I was doing Nair > Dtilt, not Dtilt > Nair, which is different. Sorry for the confusion.

Yeah you coulda... ;____;. Dw though, it was good to understand this move completely. Was tearing my hair out at times trying to get this thing to co-operate.

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
Lemme just say I am NOT in this for karma points. I genuinely do want to foster discussion about Mewtwo, and disseminate as much knowledge about him as I can. I am NOT a great player by any means, and I am a very poor homeless guy who has no money to go to tournaments, so this is my way of contributing to the community of my favorite Smash character. All I can do is practice on my 3DS version and make discussion posts. This is my way of belonging to this group in a meaningful way, so please do not think this is some kind of desperate plea for meaningless internet points.

Ixisnaugus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
IxisNaugus
Lemme just say I am NOT in this for karma points. I genuinely do want to foster discussion about Mewtwo, and disseminate as much knowledge about him as I can.

I'd say I'm in a similar boat actually. I never liked coming to this board beforehand because all people did was cry for buffs and complain about Mewtwo's shortcomings. Now there's actual productive discussion coming from everyone and I think it's a really nice place to be now. I'd like to think we're all posting to help out Mewtwo and contribute to his growth as a character. So great stuff to you friend :D.

Last edited:

Sonicninja115

Experiment. Innovate. Improve.
That isn't true. Whilst you did find a method, I tried the exact same scenarios posted in your guide and I didn't get many of the results consistantly (90-100% of the time) that you did for the large majority of my findings, that's why my second testing dummy was Sheik because that's what you used. Your first example is that Mewtwo and Sheik are both facing > and she should be sent <, but my tests found that this only happened 70% of the time and that the direction Sheik faced didn't have an effect on it, whilst the direction Mewtwo faced did (referring to nair cancelling here, not full nair).

You also stated that you found the nair to work at the height of Mewtwo's jump to get the opponent to pop in front of Mewtwo, which isn't what I said at all, and I didn't find this to work as consistently as delaying the FF until Mewtwo has spent a few frames starting to fall.

Your thoughts on FH nair being influenced by DI are indeed correct, I got the exact same results you did.

Your nair guide was also quite hard to find as well (though that's no fault of your own, Smashboards looks very cluttered imho), and I think you should spend more time on it, as it's lacking important information which I needed to lab myself. Which is exactly why I posted my findings here.
The FH Nair was my first thing. The scenario was that there was no DI or inputs besides jump and Nair, and Mewtwo and Shiek were standing still right next each other. I didn't cancel the Nair on the ground. I just jumped. It seems that you are talking about cancelling the Nair on the ground, and I am talking about a simple FH, launching the opponent in the air. Am I right? I tested it rather thoroughly...

I didn't know how that worked. I believe I said that the timing is difficult, and that I believe it works then. Thanks for finding more exact timing!

My threads are sorta in a transition right now, I need to get back in the writing mood.

Last edited:

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
Yup, the landing frames of falling FAir are so short now, that Fair tends to combo into any reasonably fast move at lower percents. I don't think they are often true combos, though, since I think they can be DIed.
They're true combos in the sense that training mode counts them as combos. DI weight fall speed effects combos this is something that I'm already aware of. I post these combos because I'm almost certain thst they weren't possible before and so we can find his best combo routes.

Ixisnaugus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
IxisNaugus
The FH Nair was my first thing. The scenario was that there was no DI or inputs besides jump and Nair, and Mewtwo and Shiek were standing still right next each other. I didn't cancel the Nair on the ground. I just jumped. It seems that you are talking about cancelling the Nair on the ground, and I am talking about a simple FH, launching the opponent in the air. Am I right? I tested it rather thoroughly...
Yeah that's why I was getting such different results. Mine were off of short hops, not full hops. I didn't cancel the nair, I let the full thing go through, but the hitboxes probably hit differently if you decide to full hop it instead. Thanks for the clarification!

I didn't know how that worked. I believe I said that the timing is difficult, and that I believe it works then. Thanks for finding more exact timing!
The timing may be completely different if you do it on extremely floaty characters like Jiggly, but I didn't test that myself.

My threads are sorta in a transition right now, I need to get back in the writing mood.
My friend is in the process of making a video guide for Mewtwo's Nair, covering some of the information in your thread but narrated, want me to post it here once it's done?

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
They're true combos in the sense that training mode counts them as combos. DI weight fall speed effects combos this is something that I'm already aware of. I post these combos because I'm almost certain thst they weren't possible before and so we can find his best combo routes.
I threw in that disclaimer because I had not tested your claims for myself.

Fair to Dair I can see as useful.

Fair to Fsmash at low percents, though, I see no real use for... not when we have people showing combos of 0-50+% off of one Dtilt or Fair.

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
I threw in that disclaimer because I had not tested your claims for myself.

Fair to Dair I can see as useful.

Fair to Fsmash at low percents, though, I see no real use for... not when we have people showing combos of 0-50+% off of one Dtilt or Fair.
It's up to you to find a use for it or not. Like I said I only posted it because it's something new that mewtwo can do. I've already said enough though.

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
It's up to you to find a use for it or not. Like I said I only posted it because it's something new that mewtwo can do. I've already said enough though.
Yes, of course. I appreciate you posting your findings. A new combo is a new combo.

Please don't mistake my desire for optimization for ungratefulness.

Metalex

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mettalex
3DS FC
2509-3509-1078
Does the Fair-Dair spike?
I mentioned this a few pages back but yes it does! ff Fair > sh Dair (28% dmg) seems to combo at the 20 - 50% range on midweights, though at the last percentages this combo works it seems that you can only land the non spike hitbox due to the Fair sending the opponent too high.
It's unlikely that the spike will KO opponents with decent recoveries, but it's a good setup for a gimp / ledgeguard scenario i guess.

Sonicninja115

Experiment. Innovate. Improve.
I mentioned this a few pages back but yes it does! ff Fair > sh Dair (28% dmg) seems to combo at the 20 - 50% range on midweights, though at the last percentages this combo works it seems that you can only land the non spike hitbox due to the Fair sending the opponent too high.
It's unlikely that the spike will KO opponents with decent recoveries, but it's a good setup for a gimp / ledgeguard scenario i guess.
Yeah, I sawn he combo but your post didn't mention the spike.

How well does Dair combo into Nair? In both ways. Does Dair ever combo into Nair, and does Dair allow Mewtwo to FF Nair afterwards to get the gimp?

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
Even if it doesn't kill it should put them in a very bad spot where you could probably get another dair or ff nair.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
There's a lot of attacks that are based on the angle the hitbox connects with instead of just the angle between you and your opponent. Mewtwo's B-Air is one of those.

Those attacks are actually the ones that make sense in a real world, the ones that don't make sense are the other ones. Like someone swinging a sword forward in a downward manner and somehow knocking you towards his back and into the ceiling just because your body was slightly behind his.
And let's not forget slamming someone into the ground sending them upwards.

Chez G.

Yay...
NNID
toomanygames64
Hey guys. I picked up Mewtwo again after the recent patch. Yeah, I know I'm late to the party. Cloud took priority. Anyway, during some matches with Mewtwo, I found out a pretty darn good KO setup near a ledge.

SH Nair off the stage -> FF -> DJ Dair

Basically, if you nair and fast fall offstage, your opponent would get dragged along. After the fast fall, the opponent would pop out, allowing for a greatly spaced meteor. My goodness, Mewtwo is so good now!

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Hey guys. I picked up Mewtwo again after the recent patch. Yeah, I know I'm late to the party. Cloud took priority. Anyway, during some matches with Mewtwo, I found out a pretty darn good KO setup near a ledge.

SH Nair off the stage -> FF -> DJ Dair

Basically, if you nair and fast fall offstage, your opponent would get dragged along. After the fast fall, the opponent would pop out, allowing for a greatly spaced meteor. My goodness, Mewtwo is so good now!
Problem with this is that fast-fall nair near the edge tends to leave you open for a footstool.

Chez G.

Yay...
NNID
toomanygames64
Problem with this is that fast-fall nair near the edge tends to leave you open for a footstool.
It does? I don't really use it as my main KO option. I would leave that for fast-fall nair into up smash or up throw at high percents. FF nair to dair is just a mixup for me. I'll keep what you said in mind though.

pikazz

Smash Lord
NNID
pikamaxi
it depence what you do after. you can only be footstool when you are not doing a attack/dodging.
if you do a DAir while DD, you will not be footstooled if they trying to (they can still jump on you but you will not be helpless and fall down, you will still do the attack)

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
Not a true combo as far as I know, but if for some reason you do a down throw at low percents, dash attack seems to connect very reliably.

ShadowKing

Smash Ace
NNID
TheShadowKing24
3DS FC
4785-7167-2769
Played alot of Mewtwo after update and his teleport has less ending lag so like lets say your about to get fsmash his teleport will save your life and youll be able to then punish.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Status
Not open for further replies.