• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mewtwo Patch 1.1.3

Status
Not open for further replies.

SlurpySloth

Smash Apprentice
So, does Mewtwo's new angle on his D-throw actually make it somewhat of a combo throw now? I haven't played around with it much yet, but I have been able to string it into a Fair.
Nah, the hitstun's still pretty bad and (even with the speed buff) F-air doesn't come out fast enough. Still probably his worst throw.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Nah, the hitstun's still pretty bad and (even with the speed buff) F-air doesn't come out fast enough. Still probably his worst throw.
I figured as much. Oh well, when you have a regular throw that deals 13%, who needs combo throws? :150:

kesterstudios

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kesterstudios
Now if the devs can just fix his weight, mewtwo would be pretty great. And I mean it when I say FIX. They don't seem to be afraid of changing character specific values. I mean Kirby and Lucario run faster in this patch too.

Last edited:

godogod

Smash Ace
A couple of people have mentioned a Bigger shadowball. I didn't take the screenshot, but I edited the picture to compare the sizes on MS paint(lol I know). Looks to be about 20% bigger than 1.1.2. patch(when I compared the 1.1.2 size to 1.1.3 and increased the size to 20% bigger and overlapped on top, it fit perfectly. The peach in the first pic isn't standing up straight btw. If someone that has two identical sized 3dses with one patch for each game and 3ds could verify, that would be great.

Another thing also.. Is it just me or does his dash attack look different? Looks like more added effects. Have no idea about any frame data changes. Somebody wanna help verify? I'm just going off memory.

Last edited:

Browny

Smash Hater
I actually have 2 wiis next to each other with 1.1.2 and 1.1.3 but I dont have my capture card on me right now. Taking photos at roughly the same time was the best I could do.

I am 100% dead certain the shadowball is bigger.

Last edited:

Sonicninja115

Experiment. Innovate. Improve.
A couple of people have mentioned a Bigger shadowball. I didn't take the screenshot, but I edited the picture to compare the sizes on MS paint(lol I know). Looks to be about 20% bigger than 1.1.2. patch(when I compared the 1.1.2 size to 1.1.3 and increased the size to 20% bigger and overlapped on top, it fit perfectly. The peach in the first pic isn't standing up straight btw. If someone that has two identical sized 3dses with one patch for each game and 3ds could verify, that would be great.

Another thing also.. Is it just me or does his dash attack look different? Looks like more added effects. Have no idea about any frame data changes. Somebody wanna help verify? I'm just going off memory.
DA has a different animation, I think that is it.

Metros

Smash Ace
NNID
metros2soul

Yes, its significantly bigger. I noticed it instantly after firing it the first time after installing the patch. Now ONLY if we had the hitbox charge, then he'd be perfect!

His dash attack does look a bit different, I noticed that as well.

Zapp Branniglenn

Smash Lord
I'm looking at shadow ball for pre and post patch and it certainly appears larger. @Thinkaman I can confirm this change. Now in order to prove that the hitbox is for sure bigger, we'll run this test: In pre-patch, Mr. Game & Watch can crouch close to Mewtwo and not get hit by the fully charged shadow ball. In post patch, does this still happen?

Karsticles

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Karsticles
This guy...he's so much better.

The only thing I don't understand is the Dthrow change. I've yet to have anything good come of it, except that it can set up USmash on Battlefield. I feel like I liked the old one more, but maybe I just haven't found the right follow-up.

Mewtwo maybe able to confirm off of shadowball with this new dash speed
Uncharged Shadow Ball combo into dash attack now. :-O

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
I have been mostly labbing Cloud so I don't have a lot of new info but.

Down-Throw when opponent is out of stage does not true combo as someone had mentioned. It does put your opponent at the perfect position to D-Tilt him but your opponent can act faster than you can. So no combos there, :(. (Tested vs Sheik)

N-Air now true combos into D-Tilt, Jab, U-Tilt and Grab as far as I know. I also tried doing Disable and F-Tilt, opponent was able to shield.

Still need to test with aerials, but I doubt any of them true combo.

Interestingly enough we got quite a few new kill confirms now since we can N-Air into Jab into U-Tilt into U-Smash or N-Air into grab into Throw, etc. There's also N-Air into U-Smash which is a true combo but requires you to be about at least Full Jump's height in order to perform.

N-Air is now a combo starter AND a kill move, 2 things it wasn't before. It can also still extend combos like it did before and do it in a safer way since there is less landing lag.

N-Airing through your opponent should now be completely safe on block. Before patch only chars with outstanding run speed (Falcon, Fox, Sheik) could punish this technique. With the reduced landing lag now Mewtwo can probably shield/spot dodge any punish thus making it safe on block (but putting you in a bad position).
For the dthrow true combo I tested it on Falcon. It's legit. I didn't test on a different character. If it doesn't true combo or sheik you're either doing it wrong or it doesn't work on sheik. I've also got jab and fair to true combo from dthrow on falcon. It's a situational set up but it definitely works. Testing on sheik doesn't disprove what I found when you didn't replicate what I did. Test on Falcon lmk what you gind start at 40%.

Ixisnaugus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
IxisNaugus
For the dthrow true combo I tested it on Falcon. It's legit. I didn't test on a different character. If it doesn't true combo or sheik you're either doing it wrong or it doesn't work on sheik. I've also got jab and fair to true combo from dthrow on falcon. It's a situational set up but it definitely works. Testing on sheik doesn't disprove what I found when you didn't replicate what I did. Test on Falcon lmk what you gind start at 40%.

Tested this myself, it's true. On Falcon at least. I got fair to work once, but jab worked 100% of the time, but only when the opponent is hanging over the ledge.

Edit: You can also D-tilt if you grab them out of a dash grab on the ledge.

Last edited:

godogod

Smash Ace
I'm looking at shadow ball for pre and post patch and it certainly appears larger. @Thinkaman I can confirm this change. Now in order to prove that the hitbox is for sure bigger, we'll run this test: In pre-patch, Mr. Game & Watch can crouch close to Mewtwo and not get hit by the fully charged shadow ball. In post patch, does this still happen?
That's assuming if shadowball 1.1.3 is closer to touching the ground. For all we know, besides being larger on the horizontal axis, shadowball's size could have just increased more vertically up and not lower. I tested Mewtwo's shadowball about two dozen times earlier today to see if it hits characters hanging on ledges, and I have occasionally hit characters hanging on ledges(which I have never seen before before this patch), but its not consistent enough to chance it. Vast majority of the time it didn't hit. In contrast, in patch 1.1.3, Lucario's charged aura sphere seems to hit opponents on the ledge most of the time, and I'm talking about 0% lucario.

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
So I checked out the combo. 73% true combo. It didn't kill but it's probably because I wasn't at the edge. 73% is still a whole lot, god damn.

Ixisnaugus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
IxisNaugus
So I checked out the combo. 73% true combo. It didn't kill but it's probably because I wasn't at the edge. 73% is still a whole lot, god damn.
Is that the combo involving the dtilt > nair combo several times someone was mentioning earlier (might have been you)?.

Mewtwo friend of mine found this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bv23VEmOdIM can it be optimised further?

matrixdrumr

Smash Rookie
How about Down Throw - Short Hop - Dair as a combo? It can be done consistently enough if you read well and it has a nice spike option if you grab near the ledge. The spike is less consistent though.

TailLover

Smash Apprentice
I really hope Dthrow becomes a combo throw in the next patch, it is by far my favorite throw in terms of animation and I would like a reason to actually use it.

Lwin

Smash Cadet
NNID
LwinIsPolite
Here's the version of the combo I find to work best on shiek.
Dtilt x2> nair>dtilt>Nair>dtilt>fair>uair>fair.
The initial combo sequence before the last dtilt leaves shiek at 27%. I find it to be just about perfect for fair to uair to connect. Also, all of nairs are fast falled as soon as possible and I dash ever so slightly before jumping. However because of the strange nature of mewtwos Nair, you still might have to react to where they fall. I find that if they trail farther behind you when you Nair they'll end up behind you 9/10 times. Anyone not familiar with fast falling Nair should experiment and see what works for them.

An alternate way of landing the combo is to start it with a nair, either OOS or as an approach. In this scenario I do it oos and it leaves shiek at 28% which is still good for the tight fair to uair to work.
Nair>dtilt>Nair>dtilt>nair.

Constadin

Smash Apprentice
With his new dthrow, I was able to perform a footstool djc with neutral b lock at kill%. Difficult to perform for sure, funcy kill option nevertheless. Also does sideb put opponents on platforms in stages like battlefield, like it used to be prior to version 1.0.6 if I remember correctly, or it is just my impression?

HakuryuVision

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HakuryuVision
With his new dthrow, I was able to perform a footstool djc with neutral b lock at kill%. Difficult to perform for sure, funcy kill option nevertheless. Also does sideb put opponents on platforms in stages like battlefield, like it used to be prior to version 1.0.6 if I remember correctly, or it is just my impression?
I've been trying to do that, but doesn't look like it's possible on Battlefield.

Top Boss

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PizzaMonkey24
3DS FC
2449-5103-4580
I labbed a ton with Mewtwo last night. I think I am going to invest some time in him.
I got short hop nairs to combo into themself(as true combos in training mode), which will carry the opponent to the other side of the stage. I could see nairplanes into forward air becoming a decent KO confirm starting at about 55% or so.

Kuragari

Smash Apprentice
Yes, I can confirm the shadowball is larger.
Also, anyone else notice that his D-air no longer meteors but sends them upwards at around a 75 degree angle? (measured from horizontal, not sure what axis angles are measured from in the patch notes)

Top Boss

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PizzaMonkey24
3DS FC
2449-5103-4580
down air is the same, other than reduced landing lag.

BarSoapSoup

Smash Journeyman
Boy, Mewtwo feels a lot different. It's gonna take me a while to get used to him. Any tips for getting adjusted faster?

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
Here's the version of the combo I find to work best on shiek.
Dtilt x2> nair>dtilt>Nair>dtilt>fair>uair>fair.
The initial combo sequence before the last dtilt leaves shiek at 27%. I find it to be just about perfect for fair to uair to connect. Also, all of nairs are fast falled as soon as possible and I dash ever so slightly before jumping. However because of the strange nature of mewtwos Nair, you still might have to react to where they fall. I find that if they trail farther behind you when you Nair they'll end up behind you 9/10 times. Anyone not familiar with fast falling Nair should experiment and see what works for them.

An alternate way of landing the combo is to start it with a nair, either OOS or as an approach. In this scenario I do it oos and it leaves shiek at 28% which is still good for the tight fair to uair to work.
Nair>dtilt>Nair>dtilt>nair.

Yea that was the combo I was using yesterday. If you time it right and slightly move forward on Sheik you can get 3 D-Tilts from 0%.

I labbed a ton with Mewtwo last night. I think I am going to invest some time in him.
I got short hop nairs to combo into themself(as true combos in training mode), which will carry the opponent to the other side of the stage. I could see nairplanes into forward air becoming a decent KO confirm starting at about 55% or so.
I was going to test N-Air to N-Air today. It's nice that it works but I feel like D-Tilt -> N-Air is still better to combo.

Although N-Air always has the same knockback so it combos until 999%. There's now a possibility of an infinite by N-Airing until kill %.

Last edited:

Top Boss

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PizzaMonkey24
3DS FC
2449-5103-4580
double nair is for when down tilt won't work usually.

Last edited:

Top Boss

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PizzaMonkey24
3DS FC
2449-5103-4580
Boy, Mewtwo feels a lot different. It's gonna take me a while to get used to him. Any tips for getting adjusted faster?
just gotta play him
sorry for double posts. the internet is crapping out

Last edited:

TailLover

Smash Apprentice
So once I get my adapter back, the first thing I want to lab is how to predict and time Nair so that I know where the enemy will come out once I land, this seems extremely vital for combos after the buffs. I think there's a guide somewhere but I'm lazy and any tips here would be really appreciated.

Top Boss

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PizzaMonkey24
3DS FC
2449-5103-4580
just a guess, but it probably requires the manipulation that jigglypuff's down air needs for getting the right direction

Sonicninja115

Experiment. Innovate. Improve.
M matrixdrumr People can just jump away from Dthrow to escape all follow-ups except the situational ones. That sorta nullifies that mix-up. Try Dtilt-Dair instead.

TailLover TailLover , the guide is in the Metagame thread and the community guide.

Top Boss Top Boss , Nair-Nair is a true combo at lower percents, are you meaning Nair-DJ Nair or FF Nair-Nair?

BlastLine99 BlastLine99 Fair-Dtilt/Utilt is a new thing, I have a short vid that I am going to upload today.

Last edited:

GanonPawnch

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MLT117
I swear I've done fair to Dtilt pre-patch in the lab at like 0% and had it combo, I don't think that's actually new. It is a lot more reliable now though. The ff fair to fair is new though.

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
M matrixdrumr People can just jump away from Dthrow to escape all follow-ups except the situational ones. That sorta nullifies that mix-up. Try Dtilt-Dair instead.

TailLover TailLover , the guide is in the Metagame thread and the community guide.

Top Boss Top Boss , Nair-Nair is a true combo at lower percents, are you meaning Nair-DJ Nair or FF Nair-Nair?

BlastLine99 BlastLine99 Fair-Dtilt/Utilt is a new thing, I have a short vid that I am going to upload today.

He means FF N-Air into FF N-Air and technically it would combo until 999%.

I've been trying to see what combos can be started with a jab. Was this something Mewtwo was able to do pre patch? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-__2r2OBYy0
I am almost certain F-Air's knockback changed. You can now combo so much **** out of it.

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
Btw, here's the 0-Death combo done in a real match vs a friend.

https://youtu.be/yltskc53Lyg

Disclaimer: My friend was not DIng optimally, but he did tell me he was for sure mashing both jump AND shield (air dodge) and was unable to perform either. So as far as true combo goes, this is a true combo but both me and my friend now think that this combo is probably DIable.

After the 2nd D-Tilt my friend was DIng inwards (he thinks, he doesn't remember correctly) and then I hit him with F-Air and he believes he kept the same DI. If my friend had DIed outwards for both hits (D-Tilt AND F-Air) we believe that I would not have been able to connect the U-Air in time before he could Air Dodge.

So in short, the combo works and it works as a true combo but the opponent might be able to just DI away and get out of it before the end.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom