• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mewtwo Netplay Experiences

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
This is a thread for us M2 mains to vent about random BS online. Not so much revolving around Mewtwo himself, but more about the attitudes of players online.

People get mad salty when you play M2 online. It seems like everyone just assumes you are sandbagging them, and many people will just rage quit after a couple of matches (especially if you win). Some just don't want to play you at all cause you are low tier, and others basically throw all of their secondaries and low tiers at you until you have proven that you are serious business.

This can't be just me xD. How is it for you guys?

Sieghart

Smash Apprentice
I've essentially given up on playing M2 online in anything but extended sessions of friendlies because no one seems to take it seriously. Most people assume I'm just playing around and just pick random stuff against my M2 which is fine imo because any practice seems to be good practice at my skill level. I imagine you have a better time, though, since you can probably beat some higher skilled players mains.

I can usually only "prove I'm serious" vs. the mains of people somewhere around or below my skill level and those seem to be the same individuals who just rage quit. At this point I've just decided to play stuff like Falco and Marth on netplay since what I'm really trying to practice is the neutral and I seem to improve in that regardless of who I play.

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
I imagine you have a better time, though, since you can probably beat some higher skilled players mains.
I don't think a lot of the better players in Europe really do netplay, and so far I have only run into a few players that I'd say are unequivocally better than me, and even then it's not by a large margin. I haven't done but a single ranked match yet, so that might be where all the beasts are hiding.

I have yet to encounter a player that is around my level or higher that I haven't passed their 'is this dude serious' test, which usually involves them working their way up the tier list starting with their most competent lowest tier char until they get to their main. It's largely irritating, although it has led to some rather hilarious events too.

Another thing I didn't mention is that if I do beat their main, they switch characters to one they think is a M2 slayer. This, most often, is Marth, and it's always Fox and Falco players that do this, which is funny because Fox and Falco are what I consider to be M2's hardest matchups xD. Also, players that think this method of counter picking is an auto-win are also the ones that tend to ragequit 'Ggs' and leave after I eat their Marth.

At this point I've just decided to play stuff like Falco and Marth on netplay since what I'm really trying to practice is the neutral and I seem to improve in that regardless of who I play.
That is the great thing about neutral, it is mostly universal. I didn't do any training with my M2 in over a year and a half until about a week ago, and that was because so much of my Marth training meshed perfectly with M2 and my M2 was suddenly legit again. A solid understanding of neutral with M2 goes a long way, and a lot of the things that Taj used to talk about in his thread make a lot more sense to me now. I suddenly don't feel as if matchups that I thought were unwinnable are all that bad. I know this because I struggle often in the same matchups with my Marth for virtually the same reasons. The problem is less M2 and more myself.

Last edited:
Top Bottom