• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mewtwo complaint thread

Fun aside, do you think Mewtwo is a viable character?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

DTP

L o s t - in reality~
He needs a weight buff, there's no denying that.

The lack of customs and not doing damage while charging Shadow Ball are annoying as well.

This things need fixing ASAP.
These are the only issues I have personally. It's a ****ty feeling when you hit 80% and suddenly realize you're at kill percent already.
Not damaging while charging Shadow ball is more of an annoyance really. It just seems off to me.
That being said, I still love my Mewtwo and I'm glad to have him back finally.

The Big Wang Theory

Smash Cadet
NNID
TimeNook
3DS FC
4038-6179-1020
All I can really ask for is a weight buff and maybe something more guaranteed out of Confusion. He's fantastic otherwise.

warionumbah2

Smash Master
Well I'd say the biggest issue like many of the cast is that some of the higher tiers are his threats
So he's not competitively viable? That's the vibe I'm getting atm with his poor MUs against top tiers/high tiers, not to mention he sucks against C.Falcon who's the most common character as of now. And then Fox mains that enter tournaments WILL know how to jab cancel and carry Mewtwo to one side of the stage to another, they've had this jab since the Wii U came out so they have months of practice with this move.

Other than those mewtwo is good
Add poor OOS options and his 2nd jump coming out slow making it harder to escape combo's as well.

Last edited:

Trifroze

all is cheese, all is jank
NNID
Trifroze
I don't think he'll be competitively viable as disappointing as that is. He's an interesting character, but his weight is just way too low. His speed and grab range are decent, but his aerial acceleration (the change of directions) is really bad and he has very low traction which means shield grabbing usually won't work. His aerial speed also got slightly nerfed and his throws aren't quite strong enough, although Shadow Ball's strength is a pleasant surprise. A lot of his moves also got some start-up frames added compared to Melee, making most of his attacks slower now (although dair is faster and an amazing move).

Simply put, his strengths don't match his weaknesses. I don't think he'll be terrible, but looks more like a low tier than high to me. Mid at most. I'm not sure what their philosophy was with him, but I hope he at least gets his weight buffed. His playstyle demands the ability to take damage as well as increase his rage.

SleuthMechanism

Smash Ace
NNID
SleuthMechanism
3DS FC
4184-2631-5815
Switch FC
SW-7949-7248-8280
I find mewtwo a very confusing case of a glass cannon who lacks enough punch in the cannon department. he has the KO power but doesn't have either the speed or the priority on his moves and actions to really scare people.

Uffe

Smash Hero
I think it's way too early to say he's mid-tier. I've brought up a lot of issues this character has in other topics. But there is also another thing I believe should be given to Mewtwo, and that is his down smash hitting both sides just like every other character. I find myself constantly rolling in hopes to escape when someone rolls around me. He doesn't have to change his animation for this, he can do what Lucas does with his down smash.

Psionicist

Smash Rookie
NNID
Rockin0mega
To be honest, the only thing I could notice was that he's a little bit slower.

Last edited:

SleuthMechanism

Smash Ace
NNID
SleuthMechanism
3DS FC
4184-2631-5815
Switch FC
SW-7949-7248-8280
I think it's way too early to say he's mid-tier. I've brought up a lot of issues this character has in other topics. But there is also another thing I believe should be given to Mewtwo, and that is his down smash hitting both sides just like every other character. I find myself constantly rolling in hopes to escape when someone rolls around me. He doesn't have to change his animation for this, he can do what Lucas does with his down smash.
I actually really like the uniqueness, style, and power of down smash. It feels like a defining part of his moveset IMO. I see no reason dtilts isn't a tail spin that moves from the front to the back though.

L9999

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3780-9480-2428
Are you people serious that Mewtwo is lighter than f****** :rosalina::4kirby::4gaw:? I don't believe this. Who thought it was a good idea to nerf a character who is worse than :pichumelee:? Even :4zelda: wrecks :4mewtwo:.

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
Mewtwo is one of the worst characters in this game as it stands. I'm going to call it right now. None of his attacks properly link, his Confusion does nothing more but twirl the opponent for a loop and I've seen reset combos that don't work unless the opponent does NOTHING. His hitboxes are BIZZARE and inconsistent, and almost all of his moves have nearly ZERO priority. His Neutral Air is practically the same as it was in Melee if not worse. It can't challenge ANYTHING.

I'm really disappointed in the development team for botching Mewtwo this badly. Oh and try teleporting to recover. His recovery is also off. The fact he has abysmal lag when landing from a Teleport is unacceptable.

His hitboxes make zero sense half the time.

And we've all gone over his weight. Yes he's a telekinetic Pokémon that floats a lot. But his ACTUAL weight is almost 300 goddamn pounds. I don't need him heavy. But the fact he's big, combo fodder, DIES stupid early AND he doesn't have the right tools to even link attacks properly or intimidate his opponents is just...so so dumb.

I'm okay with the nerfs to Sonic (as a Sonic main), they're refined and don't break his viability and he's still a top threat IMO. Mewtwo had a fresh start ever since Melee and what do they do? Ugh...just UGH.

/rant

Last edited:

Psyruby

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Psyruby
3DS FC
3007-8155-8661
*scratches head*
Uh, I"ve used him to pretty great success imo. I've found that most attacks link together cleanly with good range, fast(Ive heard several people call him slow, but he runs as fast as pikachu), decent attack speed, good damage, and has quite a few kill options. I understand that people are frustrated at his weight and lack of defensive options, but you have to play to your strengths and cover your weaknesses.

Black Mantis

Smash Hero
Mewtwo is one of the worst characters in this game as it stands. I'm going to call it right now. None of his attacks properly link, his Confusion does nothing more but twirl the opponent for a loop and I've seen reset combos that don't work unless the opponent does NOTHING. His hitboxes are BIZZARE and inconsistent, and almost all of his moves have nearly ZERO priority. His Neutral Air is practically the same as it was in Melee if not worse. It can't challenge ANYTHING.

I'm really disappointed in the development team for botching Mewtwo this badly. Oh and try teleporting to recover. His recovery is also off. The fact he has abysmal lag when landing from a Teleport is unacceptable.

And we've all gone over his weight. Yes he's a telekinetic Pokémon that floats a lot. But his ACTUAL weight is almost 300 goddamn pounds. I don't need him heavy. But the fact he's big, combo fodder, DIES stupid early AND he doesn't have the right tools to even link attacks properly or intimidate his opponents is just...so so dumb.

I'm okay with the nerfs to Sonic (as a Sonic main), they're refined and don't break his viability and he's still a top threat IMO. Mewtwo had a fresh start ever since Melee and what do they do? Ugh...just UGH.

/rant

All of this.

Mewtwo has the tools of a good character, but he does not have the weight to back him up. Even worse is because of how big he is it makes him easier to hit. His grab range is terrible and his f-tilt should come out faster imo.

On a positive note I think he's better than his melee version because his throws do more damage, confusion serves a real purpose, you can't cc his moves, he can wall jump, and up smash is much stronger than before.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
He's certainly better than his Melee version.

The character has been made extreme. I feel like in the future, matches with Mewtwo will be extremely one sided, one way or the other.

Either Mewtwo completely wrecks **** or he's **** on.

Somewhat like Little Mac.

Although I have a feeling that custom moves and later patches will help him.

DTP

L o s t - in reality~

/rant
Welp, more Mewtwo for me then ;)
Honestly, at this point I'm not really that concerned. Yeah he's not as great as any of us had hoped, but it's not liked he can't be tweaked to hopefully remedy at least a few of his glaring issues. Changes will be made. Until then I plan on improving my game and enjoying my favorite character.
We should play sometime soon btw, it's been awhile.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I am actually starting to think Melee Mewtwo IS better than the current Mewtwo.

D Tilt could combo into itself, U Tilt or U Air quite easily and did nice damage
B Air was much, much better for edgeguarding
DJC F Air was fast and really powerful, hardly much lag if you could SHFFL it either
D Throw was able to combo into a lot of things at low % and even could follow up with a F Air at high %
Back Throw and Up Throw killed earlier
U Air strings
Much more weight to take a little more risks
Far better Teleport

Only thing better now is ; Dash Attack, stronger Smashes (still low range), baby Shadow Balls being somewhat good, Confusion doing what it should be doing, and... that is about it.

HakuryuVision

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HakuryuVision

D Tilt could combo into itself, U Tilt or U Air quite easily and did nice damage
DJC F Air was fast and really powerful, hardly much lag if you could SHFFL it either
D Throw was able to combo into a lot of things at low % and even could follow up with a F Air at high %
U Air strings
Far better Teleport

Only thing better now is ; Dash Attack, stronger Smashes (still low range), baby Shadow Balls being somewhat good, Confusion doing what it should be doing, and... that is about it.
I really REALLY want to disagree with you...

...but honestly, you're pretty on point.

Even though his Fair and Upsmash have improved, it feels like his cons absolutely overweigh his pros.

Oh well.
I'm used to my favorite characters sucking.
Just gotta have to put a lot of dedication into it, just like with Charizard.

-Who knows? Maybe he'll receive some buffs in the future.

A-money2121

Smash Journeyman
No Mewtwo needs to at least be middle weight in my opinion. At least heavier than the princeses. He's far too slow to be this light. He has good aerial coverage, and the strongest projectile in the game. But being killed off this early as he does is just pitiful. I just really hope for buffs next patch...
It really is humiliating by the fact that Mewtwo is bigger and stronger than characters like Olimar, except that Olimar - a freaking ****** character - could possibly weigh more than Mewtwo does. I couldn't agree with you more. In my personal opinion, I'd like him to have a base weight of 104, which is the same weight Yoshi has. Mewtwo's fairly large in this game, pretty much the size of Ike in comparison, and I think being the second lightest character is simply and plainly ridiculous.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
It really is humiliating by the fact that Mewtwo is bigger and stronger than characters like Olimar, except that Olimar - a freaking ****** character - could possibly weigh more than Mewtwo does. I couldn't agree with you more. In my personal opinion, I'd like him to have a base weight of 104, which is the same weight Yoshi has. Mewtwo's fairly large in this game, I'm sure being the second lightest character is simply and plainly ridiculous.
I already made my estimation of what I wanted his weight to be, and indeed it came close to 104 as well.

In PAL Melee, Mewtwo's weight was 89, that's 17 points higher than he has now. 17 points is a whole lot, as it's the difference between NTSC Melee Mario and NTSC Melee Bowser, one being a so called "middle ground" of weight and atritbutes, the other being the "extreme heavy weight".

I just find it weird that Sakurai acknowlegdes in PAL Melee that Mewtwo was too light in NTSC and Japanese Melee by buffing his weight, to give Mewtwo the biggest weight drop in Smash history for this game... 17 points of weight is something you'd take from characters as :snake: if he where to get back... Not a character who's most major complaint since day 1 was his weight being too low... :mewtwomelee:

If they'd add 17 points to his PAL Melee weight however, that'd be 89 + 17 = 106, which is just slightly above average, and just above the "regular but trained human scale" which is :4link: and :4falcon: at 104. And just below :4myfriends: with his armor, muscles and 107 weight ranking. He'd get the exact weight of :4rob:, who also relies mostly on punishes, trading, spacing, reflecting projectiles and knowing when to shoot his projectiles...

It's indeed extremely humiliating how Mewtwo is portraited again in Smash 4...

MagiusNecros

Smash Master
Main problem I have with mewtwo is the hitbox effects for his attacks aren't what they appear to be. It hurts the mewtwo player.

On the bright side future patches will probably buff mewtwo more then nerf him.

A-money2121

Smash Journeyman
I already made my estimation of what I wanted his weight to be, and indeed it came close to 104 as well.

In PAL Melee, Mewtwo's weight was 89, that's 17 points higher than he has now. 17 points is a whole lot, as it's the difference between NTSC Melee Mario and NTSC Melee Bowser, one being a so called "middle ground" of weight and atritbutes, the other being the "extreme heavy weight".

I just find it weird that Sakurai acknowlegdes in PAL Melee that Mewtwo was too light in NTSC and Japanese Melee by buffing his weight, to give Mewtwo the biggest weight drop in Smash history for this game... 17 points of weight is something you'd take from characters as :snake: if he where to get back... Not a character who's most major complaint since day 1 was his weight being too low... :mewtwomelee:

If they'd add 17 points to his PAL Melee weight however, that'd be 89 + 17 = 106, which is just slightly above average, and just above the "regular but trained human scale" which is :4link: and :4falcon: at 104. And just below :4myfriends: with his armor, muscles and 107 weight ranking. He'd get the exact weight of :4rob:, who also relies mostly on punishes, trading, spacing, reflecting projectiles and knowing when to shoot his projectiles...

It's indeed extremely humiliating how Mewtwo is portraited again in Smash 4...
Despite the fact that I do like Mewtwo in this game and is willing to train to become better with him, I must agree that you have some very valid points. I've been a Mewtwo main since Melee, and despite his weaknesses, there was still something I really loved about him. Maybe it's just the fact that you get to play as a widely popular legendary Pokemon in Smash. I was hoping Mewtwo would get the necessary buffs to make it into higher positions in tier lists. I wouldn't agree that he's low tier. I think Mewtwo has the tools to at least be middle tier. Although I'm slightly leaned towards Smash 4's Mewtwo than Melee's Mewtwo, I would say out of EVERY veteran, Mewtwo was the one who desperately needed the buffs, and to be honest, I'm not exactly sufficed. But as I said in an earlier post, I'll try to turn all of Mewtwo's weaknesses into attributes.

"It's indeed extremely humiliating how Mewtwo is portraited again in Smash 4..."

Couldn't agree more.

However, Mewtwo definitely has those powerful attacks and throws (despite throws being nerfed for some stupid reason), and I think you definitely need to agree with me on that. Overall, I think he's fine, but his biggest weakness, again, is his weight. I got striked by Dedede's side smash ONCE with only forty-one percent and got KO'd. It truly is ridiculous. The only buffs I'd like Mewtwo to have: A weight buff. DEFINITELY a weight buff, and a MAJOR one speaking of it. 106, as you mentioned, would definitely make sense and would suffice. Weighing less than tiny characters like Kirby or Olimar truly is humiliating. I would also like to damage my opponents while charging shadow ball. It was rather useful in Melee, and having it removed kinda sucked. I would also like Mewtwo to be able to act out of his teleport. It helped extend combo's and get those kill moves in. If Sakurai listens to our complaints and gives Mewtwo the necessary buffs, then I'm certain many negative opinions on Mewtwo will change. But remember that not all characters can be perfect.

Even if this were not to happen, I wouldn't give up on Mewtwo. He is my main after all.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Yes DK suffers from the same fate, it's really sucky, and he didn't have this problem in Melee. At least in Melee, his tail despite having a sourspot is actually as long, if not a little longer than his hitbox suggests (it's sure thicker at least). I also miss his tail sweetspot in some moves, especially U Air and F Tilt.

The more am analysing these changes, the more am missing Melee Mewtwo. I really do not understand that Sakurai thinks that THIS is what we've been waiting for all this time...

I truely feel like :4greninja: here while the rest of the community is :4charizard:... (even though I <3333 this :4charizard:)

Now replace the Melee sound effects for Smash 4 sound effects and we're good.

"There's no way he's even viable in this..." :4greninja: 2014

EDIT: The most ironic thing of this post: I actually got :4greninja:'d...

:substitute:

Last edited:

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Main problem I have with mewtwo is the hitbox effects for his attacks aren't what they appear to be. It hurts the mewtwo player.

On the bright side future patches will probably buff mewtwo more then nerf him.
yep that's what im expecting

especially the weight sakurai will see that fans think hes too light again.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Yes DK suffers from the same fate, it's really sucky, and he didn't have this problem in Melee. At least in Melee, his tail despite having a sourspot is actually as long, if not a little longer than his hitbox suggests (it's sure thicker at least). I also miss his tail sweetspot in some moves, especially U Air and F Tilt.

The more am analysing these changes, the more am missing Melee Mewtwo. I really do not understand that Sakurai thinks that THIS is what we've been waiting for all this time...

I truely feel like :4greninja: here while the rest of the community is :4charizard:... (even though I <3333 this :4charizard:)

Now replace the Melee sound effects for Smash 4 sound effects and we're good.

"There's no way he's even viable in this..." :4greninja: 2014

EDIT: The most ironic thing of this post: I actually got :4greninja:'d...

:substitute:
well im both :4charizard: and :4greninja: in the video

:4greninja: because yea he still has a few problems from before.

:4charizard: because I still use him anyway, and the negative people are in my opinion refuse to see mewtwo as a mid/low tier I see mewtwos tier like that, in melee it was low/lowest.

(using a scale of Highest/High/Mid/Low/Lowest)

Last edited:

A-money2121

Smash Journeyman
And they took away the good rolls and Teleport.

Gave him the worst teleport of all and one of if not the worst roll in the game in terms of range/speed/invincibility. They went all out with this glass cannon design and nerfed all of his defensive options for no reason as Melee Mewtwo was already known for getting completely wrecked on.

I like Mewtwo offensively and I like his overall playstyle, but once you play against someone who knows what he's doing then Mewtwo will make you feel like you're playing Melee again, you won't be playing or moving at all as you will just be stuck in juggles with no escape options the whole match.
Bad teleport? I beg to differ. Mewtwo's teleport, I think, is one of the more useful ones. When it comes to recovery, it can definitely recover. Plus with Mewtwo's floaty second jump, it's almost always guaranteed you'll recover. It's a little hard recover diagonally, in my opinion.

Another good use of it: It's really good for catching your opponent off guard. Your opponent might think you'll land here, but instead you teleport to the other side. It can be great for mixups. It's also a good move to get out of those tough situations. I'd look more into teleport mechanics if I were you.

Last edited:

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
Bad teleport? I beg to differ. Mewtwo's teleport, I think, is one of the more useful ones. When it comes to recovery, it can definitely recover. Plus with Mewtwo's floaty second jump, it's almost always guaranteed you'll recover. It's a little hard recover diagonally, in my opinion.

Another good use of it: It's really good for catching your opponent off guard. Your opponent might think you'll land here, but instead you teleport to the other side. It can be great for mixups. It's also a good move to get out of those tough situations. I'd look more into teleport mechanics if I were you.

Nothing of what you said makes it a good teleport, you just defined what a teleport does.

Unlike Melee it has start up, which doesn't allow you to break from combos. Unless there's a ledge to cancel or your opponent is not very skilled and commits to something way too laggy, using Teleport while in the air will not get you out of a tough situation as the lag is more than enough for your opponent to catch up to you and restart another juggle.

It has the shortest range of all the teleports, no hitbox and it can't go through small edges and solid objects like the other teleports can, instead it bounces off those objects, not only that but unlike other teleports it doesn't have an "auto help you aim for edge" (like Palutena's or Zelda's) instead it has that bounce mechanic to make it even harder to aim for the edge as any wrong angle will end up bouncing you off the edge.

It's a teleport, teleport's have many good properties and many uses, but it's a bad teleport, and out of the 3/4 teleports in the game it's the worst by far.

Just pick Melee Mewtwo and start using teleport, you'll understand how much it got nerfed.

Last edited:

A-money2121

Smash Journeyman
Nothing of what you said makes it a good teleport, you just defined what a teleport does.

Unlike Melee it has start up, which doesn't allow you to break from combos. Unless there's a ledge to cancel or your opponent is not very skilled and commits to something way too laggy, using Teleport while in the air will not get you out of a tough situation as the lag is more than enough for your opponent to catch up to you and restart another juggle.

It has the shortest range of all the teleports, no hitbox and it can't go through small edges and solid objects like the other teleports can, instead it bounces off those objects, not only that but unlike other teleports it doesn't have an "auto help you aim for edge" (like Palutena's or Zelda's) instead it has that bounce mechanic to make it even harder to aim for the edge as any wrong angle will end up bouncing you off the edge.

It's a teleport, teleport's have many good properties and many uses, but it's a bad teleport, and out of the 3/4 teleports in the game it's the worst by far.

Just pick Melee Mewtwo and start using teleport, you'll understand how much it got nerfed.
It doesn't have auto-aim? I didn't know that. Yeah, that kinda sucks.

I still disagree, nonetheless.

Last edited:

Pgirts

Smash Rookie

U Air strings
Far better Teleport

Honestly, I have begun to feel the same way.

I'm severely disappointed by how bad he is in this game.

No reliable setups.
Big hurt boxes.
Weird hit boxes.
Slow movement speed.
Light.
Unable to punish rolls.
A lot of lag on his own rolls.
Limited grab range.
Slow grab speed.
Limited smash range.
Slow smash speed.

They want to make him a glass cannon? Fine.
But they forgot the cannon part.

For the lack of a better term, he's hot garbage.

Last edited:

MagiusNecros

Smash Master
I bet a set of custom moves would be ripped from melee. Magius a miffed manatee indeed.

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
I think it's kind of a stretch to say Melee Mewtwo was better.

My opinion is that every character got nerfed from Melee because of Brawl/Smash 4 engine properties. They all lost combo potential, pressure potential, shield poking, safe approaches, etc.

Mewtwo also got nerfed, but not as bad as any other character. He also got buffed in ways to make him fit into a very unique role, which he does perfectly.

So in a straight comparison of Melee Mewtwo vs Smash 4 Mewtwo then yes, Melee Mewtwo is much stronger, but in the correct comparison of Melee Mewtwo vs Melee cast and Smash 4 Mewtwo vs Smash 4 cast, Smash 4 Mewtwo is actually much stronger and better equiped to deal with his shortcomings.

Mewtwo isn't high tier by any means, but he is much higher compared to the rest of the cast. If you mained Mewtwo in Melee then you know how frustrating it was and maining Smash 4 Mewtwo shouldn't be a problem, unless you don't find him fun anymore which is a different problem.

Last edited:

kirby3021

Smash Journeyman
I personally love Mewtwo, but after playing with him for a few days against a variety of characters and players of different skill levels, here's my two cents: I feel like Nintendo, in an effort to avoid being accused of introducing S-tier DLC characters (pay-to-win strategy), gave Mewtwo some powerful tools but compensated that by giving him more than his fair share of weaknesses. I personally think he's got potential, but it's limited by his flaws.
That said, he's only been out for a few days, but a few days is enough time to get a gist for a character. New techs may be discovered that rocket him up the tier list and give him a chance against characters like Sonic, Falcon, etc. I personally think he needs a weight buff and a slight grab range buff, at least to start. Adjustments to side B and down B (less endlag) would be really nice as well. I don't think he needs to be able to act out of his teleport, but less endlag on his teleport would be great. A slight buff to his roll would really help as well.
Anyways, that's just my opinion. To me he kind of feels like a character who is still in the very late stages of testing-almost ready for release to the public, but not quite yet.

ForteX

Smash Journeyman
I thought each and every character needed to be "accurately portraited" in Smash, and each character needed to "help bring balance into the game".
I dunno, when I look at Mewtwo, I'm looking at the most accurately portrayed Pokemon they've put into the game. Pokemon is a vapid, shallow game that employs very little strategy in its battle system, boiling down ultimately to OHKO or be OHKO'd. Mewtwo is a lot like this - put the moves out to secure an early (for Smash 4) kill, or get ruined. The only difference is how complex the gameplay is to put that kill out there.

It's natural for people to feel like Mewtwo's weak. I almost want to say everyone here is used to pay2win DLC and expected that out of Mewtwo (and avoiding that DLC stereotype was probably a big factor in how they chose to balance Mewtwo), but I hope that's not true. We've had six months of this game to get used to every character except a face we haven't seen for 14 years.

I don't think Mewtwo's playstyle is anything we've come to expect from the characters in this game. He is like he is in Pokemon games - an outcast, the imperfect product of an imperfect science who takes another sort of thought process to truly understand. The idea that his attacks need to combo well into his strong attacks isn't really the mindset that anyone needs to approach him with.

This isn't to say I don't think he'll be getting buffs in the future. I'm not so naive that I think we'll get a patch for him on public release day, but when Lucas is released, probably.

Chez G.

Yay...
NNID
toomanygames64
I dunno, when I look at Mewtwo, I'm looking at the most accurately portrayed Pokemon they've put into the game. Pokemon is a vapid, shallow game that employs very little strategy in its battle system, boiling down ultimately to OHKO or be OHKO'd. Mewtwo is a lot like this - put the moves out to secure an early (for Smash 4) kill, or get ruined. The only difference is how complex the gameplay is to put that kill out there.

It's natural for people to feel like Mewtwo's weak. I almost want to say everyone here is used to pay2win DLC and expected that out of Mewtwo (and avoiding that DLC stereotype was probably a big factor in how they chose to balance Mewtwo), but I hope that's not true. We've had six months of this game to get used to every character except a face we haven't seen for 14 years.

I don't think Mewtwo's playstyle is anything we've come to expect from the characters in this game. He is like he is in Pokemon games - an outcast, the imperfect product of an imperfect science who takes another sort of thought process to truly understand. The idea that his attacks need to combo well into his strong attacks isn't really the mindset that anyone needs to approach him with.

This isn't to say I don't think he'll be getting buffs in the future. I'm not so naive that I think we'll get a patch for him on public release day, but when Lucas is released, probably.
I don't think anyone was asking for Mewtwo to be a top tier character. They just want him to be good on his own merits. You have to admit that being lighter than Kirby is a bit embarrassing.

Personally, I feel that Mewtwo is pretty good in the right hands, but like everybody, he has weaknesses. However, that doesn't mean that some of them are excusable. Just buff his weight and fix his tail hitboxes to actually match the visual effects (this is the same issue Meta Knight had with his Uair and other moves but were fixed) and we're set.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
If they wanted to go with the ultimate glass canon Pokemon archetype, they would've done better with :4pikachu:.

They poorly balanced him because they probably had other priorities and gave Mewtwo's balance less attention. It was already a surprise we've gotten Lucas extra when Mewtwo was shown, but Roy and Ryu also probably had some work done, and they might've selected more characters than this to.

Maybe they gave us Mewtwo like this as a real testing ground on how he'd be received as if he where so bad as in Melee? Or are they careful about making Mewtwo heavy so he'd not be like a Samus with the power close to DK, Ike and Ganon?

I hope future patches balance him better cause this.... This isn't really working.

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
Maybe they gave us Mewtwo like this as a real testing ground on how he'd be received as if he where so bad as in Melee? Or are they careful about making Mewtwo heavy so he'd not be like a Samus with the power close to DK, Ike and Ganon?
But to nerf his weight even more when it was already a problem in Melee? That's ridiculous.

Hell, even if he was heavy, I doubt he'd be great. Look at Bowser. He's quicker, but still pretty meh.

ForteX

Smash Journeyman
If they wanted to go with the ultimate glass canon Pokemon archetype, they would've done better with :4pikachu:.
If they're so afraid to change Ganondorf, what would ever possess them to change Pikachu? Pikachu mains have been perfectly content to play the most unlikeable character possible since 64, I can only imagine the outrage if they turned him into do or die.

Also Roy and Ryu? What is this clever joke?

Nobie

Smash Champion
NNID
SDShamshel
3DS FC
2809-8958-8223
This is a bit of a different complaint, but I feel like Mewtwo is especially susceptible to online lag.

I know that sounds like a john, but I feel that there are certain characters that benefit more from lag than others (those with good frame data like Mario and Fox, those with meaty attacks like Ganondorf, or both like with Captain Falcon), and that Mewtwo is on the short end of the stick in this respect.

Not to say that Mewtwo becomes godly or anything in person, but given that Mewtwo has such a hard time punishing out of shield already, a few extra frames of buffering, plus a lack of meaty attacks, plus the lack of a "get off me"-style down smash, along with online lag making it more difficult to power shield, means that even the few times that Mewtwo could get something off in time whiffs anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom