• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mewtwo buffs I wished he got

Isaac4

Smash Apprentice
NNID
someletters
3DS FC
4270-5125-0529
Switch FC
SW-0987-8922-3098
Since Ultimate has been done with patches for a long time now I've been thinking about what they could have given him to be a better character without going overboard.

-Up Smash would scoop smaller characters consistently and overall just be a bit larger to more easily get opponents on platforms above Mewtwo
-Up Throw kills earlier closer to how it was in Smash 4 but not as good
-His grab range is greatly extended to make up for whatever that grab range he has right now is
-Up Tilt has a larger hitbox in both the front and the back but mainly the back similar to Marth Up Tilt
-A little less end lag on Confusion both grounded and in the air
-Increase Shadowballs hitbox when moving down to consistently hit opponents stalling at ledge
-Faster startup on his Teleport to escape disadvantage
-Make him a bit heavier to not die as early as he does right now
-Give his nair higher priority and give it a slightly bigger hitbox
-Bair comes out faster

and of course, the most obvious one
-Get rid if his tail hurtbox

It was weird of them to make so many of his moves require his tail as if he has a disjoint but really, he's just extending his hurtbox every time he does an attack and it leads to a lot of trades which Mewtwo can't afford to take as a Glass Cannon Archetype
Even with all these buffs he'll still struggle to get back on stage, he'll still be combo food, and he'll still die early because of his weight

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Honestly that's a thing that could be done for a lot of up smash's (making them easier to hit smaller characters with), including that of my Ultimate main. Everyone's grab range was purposely nerfed in Ultimate to some extent it seemed. Whether Mewtwo's ever gets better again depends on the overall balancing I guess. The weight stuff goes without saying, but the nerfing to nair was quite a crime, useful as it still is.

Far as throwing out hurtboxes with the tail, I can relate with Ridley f-tilt, though mainly because it has a hurtbox with the arm/hand when he grabs the tail to through it out like a spear but is otherwise a great move. Still though...

Not sure if you caught on to the Slightshot tech discovered in Ultimate a few months ago, but it actually mitigates Mewtwo's tail hurtbox when it comes to turning around.

The one buff Mewtwo got in Ultimate that weirdly stuck out to me was being able to angle its f-smash up and down. I mean you can already do that with f-tilt, and being able to angle f-smash downward makes d-smash seem kinda redundant. Still another nice 2 framing option though.

Isaac4

Smash Apprentice
NNID
someletters
3DS FC
4270-5125-0529
Switch FC
SW-0987-8922-3098
Honestly that's a thing that could be done for a lot of up smash's (making them easier to hit smaller characters with), including that of my Ultimate main. Everyone's grab range was purposely nerfed in Ultimate to some extent it seemed. Whether Mewtwo's ever gets better again depends on the overall balancing I guess. The weight stuff goes without saying, but the nerfing to nair was quite a crime, useful as it still is.

Far as throwing out hurtboxes with the tail, I can relate with Ridley f-tilt, though mainly because it has a hurtbox with the arm/hand when he grabs the tail to through it out like a spear but is otherwise a great move. Still though...

Not sure if you caught on to the Slightshot tech discovered in Ultimate a few months ago, but it actually mitigates Mewtwo's tail hurtbox when it comes to turning around.

The one buff Mewtwo got in Ultimate that weirdly stuck out to me was being able to angle its f-smash up and down. I mean you can already do that with f-tilt, and being able to angle f-smash downward makes d-smash seem kinda redundant. Still another nice 2 framing option though.
Yeah, I remember the slingshot tech. I just haven't seen how useful it is for Mewtwo but judging from the clip here it looks extremely helpful in making his moves safer.
It's just the whole tail hurtbox issue will still cause him to trade most of his moves.

And speaking of weird buffs
This wasn't a new ult thing it was just patched in later but I still think it's weird that they shrunk down his tail hurtbox to make it skinnier and left it as that for the rest of ultimates patches
So they knew it was an issue early on but only changed how wide it was and never came back to it
Really weird

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I can probably think of a good amount of things to help Mewtwo.
  • Weight is increased to make Mewtwo not so vulnerable to early KOs. 95 would still be considered below average, but some may argue that it's too high of a buff.
  • Neutral attack hits on frame 3.
  • Flurry attack's BKB is increased to 15; Kazuya would no longer be able to tough it out under normal circumstances, while Bowser would start flinching much sooner than when the BKB was set to 8.
  • Up smash gains an additional hitbox that uses a position vector, while the looping hits autolink.
  • Neutral aerial autolinks aerial targets.
  • Grab range gets increased, and grab hitboxes become active one frame earlier.
  • Confusion's start-up is shorter, and Mewtwo gains a grab rebound period while the grab hitboxes are active.
I also have my own moveset mod for Mewtwo, and you can check the source code at the following link...
https://github.com/mnsg23/SSBU-Script-Edits/blob/main/mewtwo_smashline/src/mewtwo/mod.rs

Linkmain-maybe

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1042-6735-2236
I can probably think of a good amount of things to help Mewtwo.
  • Weight is increased to make Mewtwo not so vulnerable to early KOs. 95 would still be considered below average, but some may argue that it's too high of a buff.
  • Neutral attack hits on frame 3.
  • Flurry attack's BKB is increased to 15; Kazuya would no longer be able to tough it out under normal circumstances, while Bowser would start flinching much sooner than when the BKB was set to 8.
  • Up smash gains an additional hitbox that uses a position vector, while the looping hits autolink.
  • Neutral aerial autolinks aerial targets.
  • Grab range gets increased, and grab hitboxes become active one frame earlier.
  • Confusion's start-up is shorter, and Mewtwo gains a grab rebound period while the grab hitboxes are active.
I also have my own moveset mod for Mewtwo, and you can check the source code at the following link...
https://github.com/mnsg23/SSBU-Script-Edits/blob/main/mewtwo_smashline/src/mewtwo/mod.rs
My problem with this is that it’s buffing already good moves. He has an excellent grab game, confusion is already one of the best moves in the game, and the BKB could actually hurt his damage racking abilities if increased.

I would rather change his down tilt to send at a better angle

Up tilt has better damage and a bigger sweetspot.

Make shadow balls on Forward throw connect better.

Make disable have full range all the time instead of being a traveling projectile.

Make up air have a bigger sweet spot.

Dash attack does 15% instead of 12% and have it kill earlier.

Make tail curl up to mewtwo during his dash and initial dash.

Make forward tilt, up tilt, down tilt, and up air disjoint.

This would help bring his worse moves up to par with his better moves, giving him a more diverse and less linear gameplay, as well as fixing his tail a little bit. Giving buffs to good moves would be appreciate, but it still doesn’t fix some of his underlying flaws, like his tail and subpar combo extenders.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
My problem with this is that it’s buffing already good moves. He has an excellent grab game, confusion is already one of the best moves in the game, and the BKB could actually hurt his damage racking abilities if increased.
It is true that my input on buffing the flurry attack's BKB is because of Kazuya's presence, but with the KBG still set at 10, it's not like the knockback will increase at the same rate as Kirby's flurry attack.

Top Bottom