• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mew2King Leaves EMP, Alleges Failure to Pay

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~

M2K Unplugs his Relationship with EMP
Empire Arcadia (EMP) has announced that the famed Melee player and "Smash God" Jason "Mew2King" Zimmerman will no longer be playing under EMP until further notice on Twitter today. @Mew2King followed shortly after and confirmed the split by releasing a statement (below). He specifies that it was his decision to leave EMP due to owed back income and having loaned more than $1,000 USD to the organization. The split with EMP follows just months after Mew2King left P4K due to an alleged failure to pay any amount per contract terms. Mew2King used both the P4K and EMP tag through the summer of Smash, including at EVO, MLG, and CEO. Earlier this year Mew2King also left the team Clash Tournaments.

The owner of Empire Arcadia Issaiah "Triforce" Johnson included with this announcement that this would last indefinitely until issues concerning back pay and money owed were taken care of due to them acquiring a new monetary partner in Cyberbox who will be helping to negotiate terms to bring M2K back to the team as well.

Unfortunately this is not the first time EMP has been known for possible issues involving paying sponsored players on time including incidents with NuckleDu, Tampa Bison, and Smash's own Armada. With Apex around the corner it will be interesting to see if any large sponsors want to add M2K to their roster.

@Mew2King released a statement regarding the split, where he indicates that the failure of EMP to pay in a timely manner and pay the full, agreed upon amount was the reason he left.

Mew2King said:
I just wanted to let people know I'm not in EMP or any other gaming team. I'm merely helping Pastime Legends (PL) and MVG_League (MVG) grow their brand in the mean time. I am friends with Joseph/Gregory (owners of each brand; in fact I am typing this from Gregory's house right now) and they are good people with brands I am trying to help them support and grow. They have no affiliation with triforce/emp.

Between us 3, we plan to help the tournament scene in Melee/Smash4 (maybe PM too undecided) a lot this year and onwards, to help grow the community. There is a lot I have planned with them to help all the smashers from various regions. Hopefully a lot of it will come to fruition (I think it will). If you want more updates on this, I plan to post a lot more on my Facebook as public updates as these tournaments are announced. You guys are not going to believe the events that are planned for later in the year and onwards. I truly do love smash (even though I have love-hate relationship with it) and we all plan to make it bigger/better.

I told triforce I was leaving emp because I wasn't paid on time (and much less than promised when I was), and I consider myself a very nice person (although also a very misunderstood one) but even I have my limits on patience and fairness. I guess he didn't think I would keep my word. So I let him know ahead of time what I was going to do if he continued to stall. He took it upon himself to post about it early even though I told him I would announce it myself after Apex and not use the tag anymore either. Maybe a PR move I don't know; whatever I don't really care. A big reason I stayed this long was because I did not want to do anything that would harm his life negatively because he says he doesn't have anything else and I don't want to be that guy to do that. Also a lot of things that never happened that were "supposed to". Since 2009 I have been given about 5k total more/less, and have lent him over 1k also. If I'm paid more, I will post about it, but I know it's not going to happen. As some people may or may not know, I've been in periodic depression on and off throughout the past few years for various reasons, and looking forward to things that never happen were some of the factors. I don't want to get off topic so I won't mention the other reasons here (I'm just a weird person who wants to see the best in everyone but the world depresses me all the time basically). I always want to give everybody the benefit of the doubt, which is my problem.

I also want to mention about P4K, that was also a total scam. I mentioned it in the BC Smash Community on Facebook in a lot more detail to warn them. They banned the person (Ben Rees) from all of their events (he was scamming the events too). I never got anything from them. I have definitely learned some life lessons from all of this. Unfortunately, my bank/wallet paid the price for my being too nice/dumb.

A lot of people have also told me I should be doing this, so with a combination of not being paid, a lot of information that I found out that I don't like that I won't disclose, and the fact that I know I can do SO much better for myself, I left. I also dislike the affiliation with things that aren't in my control.

btw the reason I can't use twitter.com/mew2king is because someone else took it with only a few followers, and twitter never contacted me back, and it makes no sense for me to be CT_ when I haven't been ct for over half a year (I was always procrastinating on changing it).

I plan to resume streaming a lot after apex (maybe a few weeks after I don't know; I feel like I need a break and don't even feel like going to Apex [but obviously I will anyway] cuz life is stressing me out among other things I don't want to talk about). Smash 4 / Melee / maybe PM / random games. on /mew2king and /mvg_league channels on twitch. Sorry for not streaming as much as I planned to recently but I plan to change this. I've been dealing with a lot of things in life. I know that's no good excuse though. I know this is off topic but a lot of people have been asking about that so I wanted to mention this too.

I doubt I will respond to this thread often; I don't know. Just wanted to get all that out of the way. I feel I was more than generous to the point of being downright stupid over the years with a lot of this. I need to be more strict. Big thanks to those that have been trying to help me for years and continue to do so now; you all know who you are (there are a lot of you).
SmashCapps can only imagine what being sponsored is like. Follow him on Twitter and discuss this interesting news!

Last edited by a moderator:

WispBae

Tsundere Princess
NNID
The-Wispy
3DS FC
5343-7751-0954
M2K please. Make the right choice. With your popularity, you could honestly afford a much better sponsor. We all make mistakes, please learn from their shady history.

Last edited:

Gatoray

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Gatoray
3DS FC
3024-5880-3045
JUST LEAVE ALREADY!

Edit: \o/ YAY \o/

Last edited:

Brickbox

Smash Master
3DS FC
0344-9566-1729
Hopefully he makes a wise informed choice, I will support him either way.

Sen. Sawft

Professional Laundry Folder
NNID
Sawft
3DS FC
4940-6793-4197
He could get waaaay better sponsors if he bailed on EMP. Either way, this'll be interesting.

Kingkool

Smash Apprentice
Nice and confusing the way they title M2K as a "Smash God" when Smash God is an actual player. I thought it was about both of them for a minute.

The_Woebegone_Jackal

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Faver_Jo
3DS FC
4854-6514-7143
M2K should go the NASCAR route and get a bunch a not-game-related sponsors plastered to his jersey.

Dunkin' Donuts * Shake Weight * Rogaine * Cover Girl - M2K has a certain ring to it.

Last edited:

DavemanCozy

Smash Photographer
NNID
CavemanCossy
3DS FC
0216-1810-7681
The same crap keeps happening to him, unfortunately. He got screwed by Play4Keeps as well during October with pay, if I remember correctly

Losho

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheLosho
3DS FC
3883-7759-0830
Good to see one of the greatest players of all time is no longer signed to play for one of the least professional "sponsors" of all time.

Last edited:

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
Who is this Mew2King anyways? I heard he had a bad reputation and some other **** like that.

PingPongCop

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Bottlecapn
3DS FC
2938-8474-3044
Who is this Mew2King anyways? I heard he had a bad reputation and some other **** like that.
Mew2King? Oh, he's not important. He's only considered to be the world's greatest smash player of all time.

Aside from isai, of course.

SphericalCrusher

Hardcore Gamer
NNID
SphericalCrusher
3DS FC
1118-0223-8931
I'm sure M2K wants his pay, but at the same time... at what costs? Sounds like it might be time to just take losses and go to a better team. IMO.

Auramaniji

Roasted!
NNID
N/A
Where have you heard that? I'm interested.
Edit: 3 Days to apex, and seemly everything is falling apart in someway.

Last edited:

The CheeseCake

Smash Rookie
NNID
TheMajesticCake
Where have you heard that? I'm interested.
He did kind of had a spotty repute before 2013 because he used to split and also was kind of irritable. He's improved a lot though, not only as a player but as a person.

ZLF Aurora

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0688-5734-1939
It's like they think getting suspended from EMP is an actual punishment.

For real though, if EMP is actually getting it's **** together (Don't get your hopes up), then good on 'em. Otherwise, M2K, you can do better.

Last edited:

The CheeseCake

Smash Rookie
NNID
TheMajesticCake
Regardless of any of this, what exactly do you guys think about this? Do you think M2K's gonna leave EMP for good or they're gonna win him back somehow? I'm more hopeful towards him leaving.

Top Bottom