• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Metagame Advancement Thread

Smoom77

Smash Master
I knew that, but I gotta clarify it for any other knucklebrain that wants to come in here to talk about Metaknight.

I like your points about squall, but I still don't like that NCD.

Sieguest

Smash Master
Lol sarcasm on the internet is the hardest thing to ever pick up. x.x

There's probably a lot of stuff we can do if we use some creativity in how we play. Play more and profit. :p

I like your points about squall, but I still don't like that NCD.
It's actually pretty nifty IMO. Pulling a retreating squall and desyncing into that NCD, the opponent may think they can punish you out of the squall. but with Popo free and Nana holding a smash you can keep them at bay or punish them for trying to punish you. o.o It could have its use for offense too. They see Nana with a smash so you can just read their movements and use Popo to capitalize on it.

Or when Nana is in the teleport range of squall you can cancel her smash into another squall for a mixup.

DeLux

Player that used to be Lux
It's actually pretty nifty IMO. Pulling a retreating squall and then going into that NCD, the opponent may think they can punish you. but with Popo free and Nana holding a smash you can keep them at bay or punish them for trying to punish you. o.o
What I like to do is use that trick, and follow it up with a reversal blizzard and instantly go into a blizzard wall. So if you can picture this: Retreating Squall, Nana Charge Deception Desynch into:

a. If you're opponent tries to punish, smash to the face.
b. If you're opponent stays away, instant Popo Iceblock or Blizzard reversal into Iceblock spam/Blizzard Wall.

"a" might be contingent on doing a reversal, because a reversal is the easiest way to get Popo to turn around out of a run. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Sieguest

Smash Master
Lol so many edits... x.x

Yeah, I think a reversal is the fastest way for us to turn around from dashing....

The only thing that still bothers me is dair. It's just kind of there... =/

EverAlert

Smash Master
NNID
EVAL89
3DS FC
2664-2214-3431
sorry boys, just clarifying something...

You can't gain height if you're squalling while on the ground. You have to do it in the air.
lol no

you can literally gain enough height on fd to go into the magnifying glass at the top blastzone, from the ground.

I can go into (frame) specifics if you wish. but basically, get better.

also NaCl/Latias, I'm reasonably certain the direction you're facing makes no difference, I'd have to do some proper testing to confirm it though.

anyway, continue.

Sieguest

Smash Master
sorry boys, just clarifying something...

lol no

you can literally gain enough height on fd to go into the magnifying glass at the top blastzone, from the ground.
Without short-hopping first? You mean like, from feet on the ground to the blastzone? o.o

shiz I'm doing it wrong too. x.x

also NaCl/Latias, I'm reasonably certain the direction you're facing makes no difference, I'd have to do some proper testing to confirm it though.

anyway, continue.
Like I said, it may be a psychological thing with me, but every time my back is towards the direction I'm going to squall it always seems like I go higher when I mash than if I'm facing the direction I'm going to squall.

EDIT: I started trying out squall again, it was just a mental thing with me. Direction doesn't matter, just needed more consistent mashing (it just so happened that when I did screw up I was going a certain way x.x).

lain

Smash Master
IMO the sideb recovery desync into nana blizzard or iceblock is one of the best desyncs we have, since almost immediately upon squalling you open up with an ice move that leads into free grabs. however, i do notice that sometimes if i'm squalling into someone, two weird things sometimes happen.

1. i barely knick them with the end or almost end of squall, which lets me have a free grab
2. they misjudge the lag after squall, and they go for a move which ends up letting me powershield -> grab

it's up to you to decide which option is better once you start the squall. it's also important to note that side b (only pressed once) lets you fall MUCH quicker to the ground, allowing you to get away from deadly frame traps and bad positioning.

more stuff laterrrr

Smoom77

Smash Master
it's also important to note that side b (only pressed once) lets you fall MUCH quicker to the ground, allowing you to get away from deadly frame traps and bad positioning.
Yess, I do this when I feel like I'm in a bad position.

Also, I just like to do a smash after squall because I use squall a lot so people know timing when they play me. So dsmash comes out really fast and gets them away.

Aglow

Smash Journeyman
I really love when the end of squall pops someone up, you poke a few aerials at them, and use squall again after the jumps are spent. I know it's basic, but I don't see it done a lot. I was watching an old frozenhobo vs 4god, and although I think he overdid squall, he chased/spaced in that fashion a few times, and I have found it helpful in moderation. It gives that "extra jump" feel.

B0NK

Smash Lord
I really love when the end of squall pops someone up, you poke a few aerials at them, and use squall again after the jumps are spent. I know it's basic, but I don't see it done a lot. I was watching an old frozenhobo vs 4god, and although I think he overdid squall, he chased/spaced in that fashion a few times, and I have found it helpful in moderation. It gives that "extra jump" feel.
Yeah, it works well, if the opponent jumps after the pop up you can interrupt/chase with aerials/squall, if they airdodge you can grab them. Very similar to MK's nado actually, just much more nerfed in comparison xD

I do suggest rising it just enough so you don't suffer landing lag but then makes it more difficult for your opponent to SDI out of it.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
IMO the sideb recovery desync into nana blizzard or iceblock is one of the best desyncs we have, since almost immediately upon squalling you open up with an ice move that leads into free grabs. however, i do notice that sometimes if i'm squalling into someone, two weird things sometimes happen.

1. i barely knick them with the end or almost end of squall, which lets me have a free grab
2. they misjudge the lag after squall, and they go for a move which ends up letting me powershield -> grab

it's up to you to decide which option is better once you start the squall. it's also important to note that side b (only pressed once) lets you fall MUCH quicker to the ground, allowing you to get away from deadly frame traps and bad positioning.

more stuff laterrrr
yeah squall desynch I find pretty useful for both post-recovery control and shifting gears quickly against heavier characters since you use squall a ton more in those MUs.

Top Bottom