• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Metabee Gets Metabusy! - A Natsume Rep?

ErenJager

Smash Champion

WHO IS METABEE?
Metabee is the main character from Medabots (Medarot in Japan) which is a role-playing video game franchise developed by Natsume and published by Imagineer in Japan.

Metabe is a Medabot belonging to Ikki Tenryou. Metabee is a beetle type Medabot, specializing in revolver tactics. He possesses a rare medal that allows him to access the Medaforce. Metabee is known to be a rebellious and arrogant Medabot who often causes problems due to his headstrong personality. He is often sarcastic to his owner Ikki, but he shares a close bond with him, and so Ikki trusts him deeply.
Main Series Video Games

• Medarot – Game Boy – 1997
• Medarot Perfect Edition – WonderSwan – 1999
• Medarot 2 – Game Boy Color – 1999
• Medarot 3 – Game Boy Color – 2000
• Medarot 4 – Game Boy Color – 2001 (Two Versions)
• Medarot 5 – Game Boy Color – 2001
• Medabots – Game Boy Advance – 2002 (2015 Wii U VC)
• Medarot DS – Nintendo DS – 2010• Medarot 7 – Nintendo 3DS - 2012
• Medarot 8 – Nintendo 3DS – 2014• Medarot 9 – Nintendo 3DS – 2015
• Medarot Classics – Nintendo 3DS – 2017

Spin Off Video Games

• Medarot Parts Collection – Game Boy – 1998
• Medarot Parts Collection 2 – Game Boy – 1999
• Medarot 2 Parts Collection – Game Boy Color – 1999
• Medarot R – 1999 – PlayStation
• Medarot R Parts Collection – 2000 – PlayStation
• Medarot Card Robottle – 2000 – Game Boy Color
• Medarot 3 Parts Collection Z – 2000 - Game Boy Color
• Medarot Navi – 2001 – GBA (2016 Wii U VC)
• Medabots AX – 2002 – GBA (2016 Wii U VC)
• Medarot G – 2002 GBA (Wii U VC)• Medabots Infinity – 2003 – Game Cube
• Shingata Medarot – 2004 – GBA
• Medarot Dual – 2013 – Nintendo 3DS
• Medarott Girls Mission – 2016 – Nintendo 3DS

Justifying Metabee In Smash

• Metabee originated in video games.
• Relatively long history on Nintendo consoles.
• Natsume is a Japanese third party video game company with a strong history with Nintendo.
• Medabots is arguably one of Natsume's most popular franchises.
• Metabee is the main character of Medabots.

For The Supporters

Last edited:

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
I like the idea of pretty much any Mecha style character, plus I do remember the old Metabots games (and I once got a couple figures and a board game of them from an Aunt back when I was a tiny little kid). That said I only ever got a short distance into one of the games before I traded it to a friend who actually knew what Metabots were (in return for my first Bomberman so no regrets).

Guess what I'm saying is that I like the idea for sure but I don't really know enough to throw my weight behind the idea.

Edit: look, the main character is Metabee you can't blame me for messing up the name

Last edited:

ErenJager

Smash Champion
I like the idea of pretty much any Mecha style character, plus I do remember the old Metabots games (and I once got a couple figures and a board game of them from an Aunt back when I was a tiny little kid). That said I only ever got a short distance into one of the games before I traded it to a friend who actually knew what Metabots were (in return for my first Bomberman so no regrets).

Guess what I'm saying is that I like the idea for sure but I don't really know enough to throw my weight behind the idea.

Edit: look, the main character is Metabee you can't blame me for messing up the name
Well here is some rationale behind having Metabee in Smash Bros.

• Metabee originated in video games.
• Relatively long history on Nintendo consoles.
• Natsume is a Japanese third party video game company with a strong history with Nintendo.
• Medabots is arguably one of Natsume's most popular franchises.
• Metabee is the main character of Medabots.

I'm trying to come up with a way where he can be a unique fighter however i'm still thinking.
In the Medabot games you can switch out arms, legs, head, chest, and medals for other medabot parts.
I'm trying to think of something that's different then Mega Man and the Mii Fighters.
I'm thinking he could have some sort of part swap mechanic or gimmick.

Last edited:

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
I'm trying to think of something that's different then Mega Man and the Mii Fighters.
I'm thinking he could have some sort of part swap mechanic or gimmick.
Eh, I think part swapping mid battle could be a bit weird to implement. IMO to best implement it, it'd just look like the part transforming mid move, which could look pretty awesome actually. Otherwise I think that the part swapping would best be implemented as a Megaman/Palutena customs style thing, but Metabee actually looks different depending on the custom moves.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
My childhood right here. Yes I support for Smash.
I wonder if some of his movements may be based off Medabots Ax as I recall that was kind of like Smash with it also being a platform fighter as well and all.

Last edited:

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
Did not know Metabee debuted in a video game, you learn something new everyday I guess.

If that's the case, I would have loved to see Metabee in Smash. How likley it is, I do not know, but I would not mind it.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
This thread is sponsored by Arby's.
They say that's a million dollar sponsor, but Smashboards must keep that money or somethin' cuz I still ain't seen a nickle of that million dollars.

Did not know Metabee debuted in a video game, you learn something new everyday I guess.

If that's the case, I would have loved to see Metabee in Smash. How likley it is, I do not know, but I would not mind it.
It's probably not that likely. lol.
But it's fun to dream.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I'd imagine most westerners are more familiar with the animated TV show rather than the main games as far as the Medabots franchise goes since I recalled the anime and toy merchandise being more heavily marketed than the actual games (At least from what I recall as a kid)

But yes, the games preceded the anime. Just like the Pokemon games preceded the anime. Ikki Tenryou wasn't also the original protagonist, he was the second protagonist from Hikaru Agatha (I believe that was his name) aka Henry. Aka the shopping clerk in Ikki's hometown, who was the original protagonist. Though i'd imagine Ikki is probably the more iconic protagonist over Henry since his game (or the GBA remake of it) was the only one that ever got localized to the west and which the show was based off.

But yeah, we probably won't be seeing Metabee in Smash anytime soon unfortunately...

Last edited:

ErenJager

Smash Champion
I'd imagine most westerners are more familiar with the animated TV show rather than the main games as far as the Medabots franchise goes since I recalled the anime and toy merchandise being more heavily marketed than the actual games (At least from what I recall as a kid)

But yes, the games preceded the anime. Just like the Pokemon games preceded the anime. Ikki Tenryou wasn't also the original protagonist, he was the second protagonist from Hikaru Agatha (I believe that was his name) aka Henry. Aka the shopping clerk in Ikki's hometown, who was the original protagonist. Though i'd imagine Ikki is probably the more iconic protagonist over Henry since his game (or the GBA remake of it) was the only one that ever got localized to the west and which the show was based off.

But yeah, we probably won't be seeing Metabee in Smash anytime soon unfortunately...
That's definitely how i'm familiar with Medabots.
Interesting little tidbit of info there too, I wasn't aware.

Another franchise that reminds me of medabots, is Monster Rancher, it also started out as a game.
I think it's a Koei Tecmo property.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
That's definitely how i'm familiar with Medabots.
Interesting little tidbit of info there too, I wasn't aware.
Yeah I never quite got what the whole deal was with Hikaru Agatha during the Medabots World Tournament arc other than the fact that Henry was apparently the original owner of Metabee back when I was a kid. It wasn't until later when I learned more about the franchise that he was actually the original protagonist and that the anime was alluring to that. I don't think even the game hinted much on Henry's past. But then again, I haven't played the game in years so I may have forgotten.

That said, I did enjoy the game enough that I wished Natsume would localize the rest of the series to the west. Perhaps there may be some fan translations out there that I could look into.

Another franchise that reminds me of medabots, is Monster Rancher, it also started out as a game.
I think it's a Koei Tecmo property.
Oh I see, there where quite a lot of Monster collector RPG's during the early 2000, presumably due to Pokemon's spark in popularity, but I would certainly like to try out more of those games in that genre. I particularly liked Medabots mechanic where you could customize your Medabots for battle. Which I would wonder if Metabee where to be included in Smash, if he would be able to switch between parts on the fly. I mean I know there are Medabots like Seldron and Cleobattler who have that ability wile Metabee technically can't do that on his own, but it might give leeway for more abilities in his arsenal. Especially when it comes to things like his recovery.

Last edited:

ErenJager

Smash Champion
Oh I see, there where quite a lot of Monster collector RPG's during the early 2000, presumably due to Pokemon's spark in popularity, but I would certainly like to try out more of those games in that genre. I particularly liked Medabots mechanic where you could customize your Medabots for battle. Which I would wonder if Metabee where to be included in Smash, if he would be able to switch between parts on the fly. I mean I know there are Medabots like Seldron and Cleobattler who have that ability wile Metabee technically can't do that on his own, but it might give leeway for more abilities in his arsenal. Especially when it comes to things like his recovery.
The Medabots I'd be most interested in seeing as parts...

Sumilidon
Rokusho
Arcbeetle
Warbandit
Beast Master
Mega Emperor

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
The Medabots I'd be most interested in seeing as parts...

Sumilidon
Rokusho
Arcbeetle
Warbandit
Beast Master
Mega Emperor
Sounds like a good lineup, I believe Sumilidon had an ability that could inflict a status ailment that causes opponents to briefly damage themselves when using projectile moves. I wonder how that would translate in a Smash type environment. Perhaps it may work a bit like in Medabots Ax where It's a short range attack that he can throw out to opponents close by and would briefly cause their attacks to damage themselves for a short period of time.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
Sounds like a good lineup, I believe Sumilidon had an ability that could inflict a status ailment that causes opponents to briefly damage themselves when using projectile moves. I wonder how that would translate in a Smash type environment. Perhaps it may work a bit like in Medabots Ax where It's a short range attack that he can throw out to opponents close by and would briefly cause their attacks to damage themselves for a short period of time.
Yeah, so that would be perfect to have mechanics like ailments and such for swapping parts.

Boy googling those was a nostalgia trip.
I know, me too.

Ultomato

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW 1995 0060 1138
So I found this thread trying my luck at searching for Rokusho. Off course, of any medabot gets in, it's Metabee. And a metabot should get in.

Now about part swapping, I heard two suggestions:
1. Based on custom moves. Unfortunately, custom moves have been removed.
2. Swapping parts only during move animation. Would be neat and is the most likely option.

But I had another idea:
3. Part-cycling. This meaning: when I press B, I swap to, for example, Rokusho's hammer and do a punch. Then I stick with the hammer and when I press B again, I swap to Mega Emperors laser and fire that. Another B press will give me Metabees gun and fire that.
This is a way to implement the part swapping without costum moves, really giving a possible metabots rep a unique playstyle.

Let me know what you think

Last edited:

Yatanagi

Smash Journeyman
Count me in. KBT-1(Metabee) is my second most wanted. And as my most wanted is in(almost exactly I wish him to be) I'm in to support Bee. He make a great part of my youth and really really want Natsume to port the newer games to the west and him in Smash could be a return of the series.

wirdzone

Smash Rookie
Nice!! The more the better, all i can hope for n rn is for this character to get more recognition

Yatanagi

Smash Journeyman
Thought about a stage from Medarot/Medabot.
It could be Omikuji City, based on Medarot 2/Medarot 2 Core(Medabot GBA), It would be divided in some scenarios from the city like in front of Hikaru's Store, the School, the Forest, etc. Each area would have Medabots fighting on the background they would be random based on the location. As they fight some attacks will reach the Stage as hazards. As one Medabot be defeated the last hit from the winner will cause a explosion that will updraft the Fighters to other part of the city, will cause 30% damage and KO at 80%(110% with the damage) the Fighters directly caught in the explosion. But the most interesting part is that the Announcer will be replaced by no other then Mr Uruchi himself, he not only will announce the fight, ko and the winner, but he would be in the background and each time the stage changes place, he would appear in a random way like in the anime. Also thought about Kaitou Retort appearing in the stage and trying to rob itens on the stage, but I thought it would be too much things in the same stage, or he could appear in the RoboRobo Gang's Base.

Night Gale

Smash Ace
Black Donkey Kong, Zero Suit Samus, Captain Falcon, Snake, and Kirby costumes for the Roborobo Gang spirit battle.

Sign me up.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I thought that this was a cool April Fool's Day joke.

I watched Digimon and Medabots when I was young, so it's neat to see them cross over.

Top Bottom