• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Meta Ridley Hype!

dangeraaron10

Smash Master
I'm sure in the joyful pandemonium that followed Ridley's confirmation, I think people may have overlooked the fact that Meta Ridley is a playable costume of Ridley!

Ridley was a character I wanted in because I wanted more worthy foes (villains) to fight against. Fighting against heroes all the time gets boring. Ridley is appropriately menacing and savage in SSBU!

However, when they revealed you could play as Meta Ridley... I dunno, I think I might take him as a secondary. Meta Rids is my favorite version of the purple parent eater, after all. Definitely has a very cool "action figure" like look to him. Heck, if I jive with his moveset, I might main Meta Rids!

Anyone else as excited for cyborg space dragons?

CrowGoesCaw

Smash Journeyman
I was just thinking of posting about this, but Meta-Ridley is missing from Ridley's alternate colours/costumes. There is a real possiblity that meta is an Echo (Ultimate's version of a clone). If that's true he'll have slight differences. Like maybe his charged neutral B is firing missiles.

If this does turn out to be true, then... Ridley is two newcomers in smash. Take that detractors!

Or the costume just isn't done yet...

dangeraaron10

Smash Master
I was just thinking of posting about this, but Meta-Ridley is missing from Ridley's alternate colours/costumes. There is a real possiblity that meta is an Echo (Ultimate's version of a clone). If that's true he'll have slight differences. Like maybe his charged neutral B is firing missiles.

If this does turn out to be true, then... Ridley is two newcomers in smash. Take that detractors!

Or the costume just isn't done yet...
I'd like him either way. Though being an Echo would be neat as well. Wouldn't mind having the announcer say "Meta Ridley!"

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
An echo fighter of the same character sounds really dumb, but what do I know. Anyways, Meta Ridley looks great.

dangeraaron10

Smash Master
An echo fighter of the same character sounds really dumb, but what do I know. Anyways, Meta Ridley looks great.
Well, we have fully fledged characters that are multiples of the same person

But I think that Meta Ridley is an alternate costume. It might just not be in the current demo build. It looks a tad unfinished, to be honest. Hopefully it'll get a nice polish before being implemented.

Gerrothorax

Smash Apprentice
I always loved Meta Ridley's design in the original Metroid Prime, mainly because he always looked so pissed off. Glad to see that caries over into smash.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
It's possible that not every costume is in the demo. Keep in mind characters could have up to 16 alts in Smash Wii U. This could be another Little Mac situation

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Yeah, I think it's clear it's not an echo character, otherwise he'd have been announced as such and wouldn't have been a part of Ridley's trailer, the skin just isn't in the demo. It is likely to have its own set of palettes at least.

Last edited:

CrowGoesCaw

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, I think it's clear it's not an echo character, otherwise he'd have been announced as such and wouldn't have been a part of Ridley's trailer, the skin just isn't in the demo. It is likely to have its own set of palettes at least.
Ah, but if he was an echo, it'd mirror Samus. You know, because she takes up two slots, while you could fit two Ridleys in one slot. Samus is too big is what I'm trying to say.

vVv Rapture

Smash Lord
Writing Team
At first I thought it was Proteus Ridley, which gave me hope for SR Samus, but regular Meta Ridley is great too. It's definitely just an alt, but imagine an Echo Meta Ridley with missiles, lasers, bombs, etc? That'd be really sick! But this is great too.

dangeraaron10

Smash Master
Ah, but if he was an echo, it'd mirror Samus. You know, because she takes up two slots, while you could fit two Ridleys in one slot. Samus is too big is what I'm trying to say.
I think someone mentioned in gameplay footage that Samus's Dark Samus alt was replaced by a black and gold palette. We could possibly maybe potentially see Dark Samus as an Echo Character.

I'm just thrilled that Meta Ridley is in the game to some capacity.

IronTed

Smash Ace
I'm with you OP, I love the Prime incarnation of Meta Ridley, and getting him as an alt is really great. It's like the Brawl and 4 Ridleys all got carried on. Playable Ridley takes aspects of the various organic incarnations, while Meta is an alt.

Of course, if Meta is an echo, my mind will be blown. I once had a pipe dream, that we would get Ridley, and then Meta Ridley as a clone. Seeing that dream realized would blow my mind.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
That picture above I posted of Meta Ridley was on Ridley's character page on the Smashbros.com website.

Considering it took forever to get regular Ridley, I don't see them suddenly giving him an echo character as well anyway.

Kopy

Smash Cadet
Echo fighters got their own video/entry on the Smash Bros. site.

Meta Ridley appeared in Ridley's video. It is an alt costume not playable in the E3 version, easy as that.

StormC

Smash Hero
Really hope Meta Ridley is indeed getting his own set of colors, I would play as him with the Super Metroid colors all through the night.

silver_blade001

Smash Apprentice
I doubt it would be an Echo character, cause they showed two Mario costumes with his builder and wedding outfit, but it is making me wonder if there would be alternate colorations for costumes then. Cause I would love some blood red Meta Ridley

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
While it seems like Meta Ridley is not in the E3 build, his last pallette swap looks suspiciously like Meta Ridley but without the cybernetics. Maybe if someone picked that costume, they would actually play as Meta Ridley complete with the cyborg parts and the only reason he doesn't look like that in the character selection was because Meta Ridley didn't have a render so they just lazily colored regular Ridley's render to represent the Meta Ridley costume?

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
While it seems like Meta Ridley is not in the E3 build, his last pallette swap looks suspiciously like Meta Ridley but without the cybernetics. Maybe if someone picked that costume, they would actually play as Meta Ridley complete with the cyborg parts and the only reason he doesn't look like that in the character selection was because Meta Ridley didn't have a render so they just lazily colored regular Ridley's render to represent the Meta Ridley costume?
Nah, in-game it's still just a regular palette swap:

I actually hope they'll keep it in alongside the Meta Ridley alt, I dig it.

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
Nah, in-game it's still just a regular palette swap:

I actually hope they'll keep it in alongside the Meta Ridley alt, I dig it.
Seriously? The trailers have an actual Meta Ridley costume, but the demo has a Meta Ridley palette swap? Come on, I call false advertisement when all eight costume slots of each character have been filled and the one costume we were promised isn't in the game.

StormC

Smash Hero
Seriously? The trailers have an actual Meta Ridley costume, but the demo has a Meta Ridley palette swap? Come on, I call false advertisement when all eight costume slots of each character have been filled and the one costume we were promised isn't in the game.
It's going to be in the final game... it's a demo. Not really false advertisement when the product for sale is not the demo.

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
It's going to be in the final game... it's a demo. Not really false advertisement when the product for sale is not the demo.
I know that it's just a demo, but when the characters are supposed to have eight costumes each like in Smash 4 and you count eight costumes for Ridley and none of them is the Meta Ridley that's been shown in the trailer and promotional screenshots, there's something fishy. Maybe the final game could give additional costumes or maybe the E3 demo has a placeholder costume? It wouldn't seem right to put a placeholder costume in a demo to replace it in the final game. And E3 is making it seem like all characters would have exactly eight costumes each. I'm totally confused about Meta Ridley right now.

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
E3 also makes it look like there's only 12 playable characters, too. Total false advertising!
Actually the demo had 30 characters available, not 12. And we know from Sakurai's roster showcase that all the veterans are here. And the E3 demo for Smash Wii U didn't have everyone that was revealed at that time. But Smash 4 gave every fighter eight costumes to choose from and not only does Ultimate demo give every fighter eight costumes, Sakurai explained that all eight Inkling alts have their own outfits. "All eight." So the Inklings have been confirmed to have only eight outfits. And the Koopalings still take up Bowser Jr.'s alternate outfits. So there's a lot of reasons to believe that all the fighters have eight costumes. And that is what is confusing me about Meta Ridley.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
There's no set in stone rules regarding palettes, only standards. Smash 64 had varying amounts of outfits for every character, Brawl Wario had twice as many outfits as everyone else and so did Little Mac in 4. There are always exceptions.

Also, the ''12 fighters'' thing likely refers to how Sakurai implied you only start the game with the original 12 (or 8) fighters from 64, and have to unlock everyone else.

vVv Rapture

Smash Lord
Writing Team
Actually the demo had 30 characters available, not 12. And we know from Sakurai's roster showcase that all the veterans are here. And the E3 demo for Smash Wii U didn't have everyone that was revealed at that time. But Smash 4 gave every fighter eight costumes to choose from and not only does Ultimate demo give every fighter eight costumes, Sakurai explained that all eight Inkling alts have their own outfits. "All eight." So the Inklings have been confirmed to have only eight outfits. And the Koopalings still take up Bowser Jr.'s alternate outfits. So there's a lot of reasons to believe that all the fighters have eight costumes. And that is what is confusing me about Meta Ridley.
Little Mac didn't have all of his wireframe alts in the demo. It's just a demo, I wouldn't read anything into it. They didn't even have Ridley in the Nintendo NY demo, so it's pretty reasonable to assume that they just have Ridley and his regular colors for the E3/CEO demo because that's the simplest thing to do and doesn't require implementing a separate model for the same character, which is time consuming and not necessary for a demo.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Yea Meta Ridley alt I saw this coming from a mile away

And it's a alt not a echo meta Ridley is on the Ridley character page

Probably will get the same treatment as bowser jr (changes to meta Ridley when you switch to the alt)

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
Little Mac didn't have all of his wireframe alts in the demo. It's just a demo, I wouldn't read anything into it. They didn't even have Ridley in the Nintendo NY demo, so it's pretty reasonable to assume that they just have Ridley and his regular colors for the E3/CEO demo because that's the simplest thing to do and doesn't require implementing a separate model for the same character, which is time consuming and not necessary for a demo.
It's possible that Little Mac's extra costumes have been cut to follow the eight costume regulations for Ultimate. Wario had to sacrifice four costumes between Brawl and Smash 4. The costume sets of each character change between games, so not including all of Little Mac's wireframes is not that strong of an argument when we don't know if all of them are coming back.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I feel like this design, much like the normal one, takes elements from multiple appearances. The yellow wings, distinct eyes and almost complete coverage are reminiscent of the first Prime's Meta Ridley, but the more pronounced purple in the exposed bits and the armour looking overall less sophisticated make me think of Proteus Ridley from Samus Returns. Of course, additional palettes could make him look more like other designs.

Zynux

Smash Lord
You have no idea how agonizing it was watching tons of reaction videos, and the overwhelming majority of them when Meta-Ridley appeared kept saying "Mecha-Ridley"

vVv Rapture

Smash Lord
Writing Team
You have no idea how agonizing it was watching tons of reaction videos, and the overwhelming majority of them when Meta-Ridley appeared kept saying "Mecha-Ridley"
That's why I always call the robot Ridley "Ridley Robot" so ppl don't say Mecha Ridley then conflate it with Meta Ridley.

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
Premium
NNID
7066-9708-9591
meta ridley was in the samus direct if anyone noticed

vVv Rapture

Smash Lord
Writing Team
"Ridley Robot" would still be wrong. Just call him by the official name Meta Ridley.
??? I don't think you understood at all what I said lmao, but let me clarify since apparently that's necessary.

People wrongly call Meta Ridley "Mecha Ridley." Mecha Ridley often comes as an alternate, and also wrong, name for the Ridley Robot in Zero Mission. That's why I always call that robot the Ridley Robot instead of Mecha Ridley because people often conflate the Mecha Ridley name for Ridley Robot as actually for Meta Ridley, which is of course wrong, but seems to be mixed up often.

Last edited:
Top Bottom