• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Meta Knight's New Match Up Thread: Falco

Yunior597

Smash Journeyman
For Starters, try BF, CounterPick, Brinstar and RC,...

Perfect Shield every laser, until you get close to falco, then FTilt, DTilt, or try a grab... if he does Side B, try to block it with Nair,

Edge guarding at low perfect tornado a lot... and for high percent reversal up b and if he land on the floor use the glide attack...

Dair camp at beginning just dont get grabbed....

Just is how i play the match... a little weird but works for me.

Jem.

Smash Master
For Starters, try BF, CounterPick, Brinstar and RC,...

Perfect Shield every laser, until you get close to falco, then FTilt, DTilt, or try a grab... if he does Side B, try to block it with Nair,

Edge guarding at low perfect tornado a lot... and for high percent reversal up b and if he land on the floor use the glide attack...

Dair camp at beginning just dont get grabbed....

Just is how i play the match... a little weird but works for me.
Tornado vs side b is way more reliable than nair. plus it pops them up so you can read them for another tornado or whatever you want.

Yunior597

Smash Journeyman
Tornado vs side b is way more reliable than nair. plus it pops them up so you can read them for another tornado or whatever you want.
Sometime you don't have enough time to do tornado if you are close to them...

Because they just laser,laser,laser then side B, if you try tornado it will get canceled mostly by a laser.

Tornado is awesome edgeguarding of course...

-DR3W-

Smash Champion
NNID
DrewTheAsher
Goooood luckkkkkkkk vs decent Falcos, there are 230928472x more MKs than Falcos so a lot of us have a lot of MK practice.

Get someeeeeeeee

-DR3W-

Smash Champion
NNID
DrewTheAsher
Sometime you don't have enough time to do tornado if you are close to them...

Because they just laser,laser,laser then side B, if you try tornado it will get canceled mostly by a laser.

Tornado is awesome edgeguarding of course...
Tornado near us works more than you'd think.
And now we're talking about how to avoid/counter it during recovery lmfao

solecalibur

Smash Master
Goooood luckkkkkkkk vs decent Falcos, there are 230928472x more MKs than Falcos so a lot of us have a lot of MK practice.

Get someeeeeeeee
There are quiet a few falcos since DEHF started traveling, If MK doesnt know the MU he isnt that good of an MK :laugh: , The same can be said to the other side.

Falco imo is just like snake when the game came out just give it time and the MKs will crack falco open

demonictoonlink

Smash Master
I truly believe this MU to be even with a practical lgl.

MAAAAAD homo for both players though.

One thing for now: don't get chaingrabbed. I'm not saying try to avoid, just don't. It's not THAT hard to do. Just play gay until like forty. Camp with dair. If you're going to go in, space fair completely. MAYBE a dtilt or ftilt. Just don't get grabbed. You have the options.

Player-4

See you in 25 years
I wouldn't risk an Ftilt or Dtilt, like DTL said though I would Dair camp and Nado if you can retreat to platforms

Exdeath

Smash Master
If you're playing the match-up properly, you won't need to play much different than after chain grab percents. Falco naturally has difficulty grabbing Meta Knight and -- in my experience -- most Falcos are more predictable at chain grab percents because they want the grab. If you're going to be grabbed (e.g. he evaded your B and he's going to get the grab) your safest option is to land close to the ledge. Naturally, you can mix this up and avoid the grab entirely, but keep in mind that what he can do with that grab is often much more limited at the ledge.

If you're getting hit and Falco can only get one hit after the grab, it may actually be a good idea to let him grab you and get the hit depending on how the player's mind works. Some Falco players will become [over-confident] aggressive and play risky after getting off the chain grab, even when it isn't for much damage. It's a good thing for them if you're not expecting the change and you aren't playing safely, because your reading will be off, but if you are safe and/or you are expecting it, it will help you more in the end.

M@v

Subarashii!
Ill try to say more later, but falco has almost no options when mk is right in his face tornadoing.

Dont get grabbed.

We will try to camp you

and camp you

and camp you

We do NOT want to be near you if all possible.

Vlade

Social Outcast
I find this matchup to be quite uphill when chasing the lead

Whoever has the lead dictates the match much moreso than most other matchups in the game imo

Orion*

Smash Researcher
yes, honestly

the mu is very even in that manner except

falco has a harder time getting the lead back / killing mk

thank mk does to falco

-LzR-

Smash Hero
This MU is literally brainwrecking, after a couple of matches I get a headache.

Dru2

Hail to the King
NNID
DruetheDruid
3DS FC
0189-9845-3398
This looks near finished discussing but i'll add a few things (if these haven't been said)

Bair = insanely helpful in this fight. They're used to your Fair so they won't expect the Bair.

Don't let Falco get away from you. Always be close to him. Like M@v said if they're far from you they'll just try to camp your head off with lazers.

If Falco ever short hops above or near you, utilt. He's probably going for either a Dair or Bair.

This is usually mandatory in many MUs, but GRAB HIM. grabbing is a great setup for any combo. Especially Falco. Dthrow > GSL/Fair > Glide attack/SL gets you like 35% iirc.

When falco's horizontally far away from a stage, and he's going to side-b (which he always will, nado either right beside the ledge, or in front so he can't grab it. This eventually gets harder, as they'll start to read it. The safer option though is to nado in front of the ledge. If you nado beside it and he grabs the ledge, he'll wait til you're done then side b along the ground and you won't be able to do a thing about it.

HeadofHudet

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
5259-5066-0804
just give it time and the MKs will crack falco open
^what he said. Today, the meta knights who plays the matchup correctly shuts down even the best of falcos - I have rarely seen a falco getting top placings in a big tournaments with top players these days. I don't know if it's the fact that there are better players that main meta knight these days than falco, or that it's just the metagame that evolved to, like solecalibur said, that mk has cracked falco open.

Is there a newer thread on the mk boards about this matchup? Because this is pretty outdated right now and I think there is much to be added, and I'd like to know what.
Or is everything discovered and that every good meta knight main has preceeded every good falco main in skill and experience?

Oh well, I might as well start off with a matchup question right away if anyone can answer me.
Unless I have rushed too fast through this thread, I have only seen notes about either a momentum or an execution. Everyone knows about dair camping these days and how to punish falco's SHL/SHDL while on ground. Because yes, even today against meta knight falco likes to fire off lasers in a neutral stance if he thinks he's far enough off. And that mk loves to intercept that.
But what if falco doesn't commit to anything within reach? How will the mk approach then? Of course, I've seen many different ways to approach falco. Mk's tilts outranges our jab, but can mostly be punished by a dash attack if shielded. Dair camping is obvious too (even though I personally prefer this one. I feel like falco usually has got the best outcome if this is how the mk decides it to be), and a whole lot of other things. But what do mk mains today think works safest, or what do they prefer? The way I see it, it's all about mindgames, reactions and outspacing (if you know what and how to execute) the different options and be the one with the frame advantage in the end to get a solid momentum. But I'd love to hear this from an mk's point of view, because this is how it looks like to me, as a falco mainer in 2014.

Top Bottom