• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Meta Knight: Video Compilation & Critique Thread

warionumbah2

Smash Master
Sorry for double post @ Katakiri Katakiri also Villager matches maybe you can gain something from this.

Come on and Ban #24 - Winner Ro16: BaNdt (Villager) vs Ito (Meta Knight) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PO5b9An-o2E

Come on and Ban #24 - Winner Semis: Ito (Meta Knight) vs Hitaku (Sheik) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXeaBsZltU0

Come on and Ban #24 - Winner Finals: BKO|Boringman (ZSS/Fox) vs Ito (Meta Knight) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qrij1xogQOU

Come on and Ban #24 - Grand Finals: Ito (Meta Knight) vs Rice (Fox) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gReVOQbg-o

**** sorry guys
Come on and Ban #24 - Winner Quarters: Ito (Meta Knight) vs CE|Boba Tapioca (Rosalina & Luma) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4MPksHTDlk

@Ito if your watching, maybe take a break from Smash like a week. I see you getting annoyed since you did drop combo's(SD'd against Rosa). Or pick up a secondary, would be a shame if you dropped MK not cause you're literally the poster boy of this character but because as you said during the Diddy days "Mk is my best character".

Hope you find a solution to your problem and congrats.

Last edited:

ItoI6

Smash Journeyman
aside from me being really bad vs custom villager the only thing you should really take away from that is against fox when hes at some lowish percent and mk lands upair you should falling nair into the ground and upb to combo or if at super low % you can dash grab

busken

Smash Ace
aside from me being really bad vs custom villager the only thing you should really take away from that is against fox when hes at some lowish percent and mk lands upair you should falling nair into the ground and upb to combo or if at super low % you can dash grab
did you already know that before the battle or what that just offensive awareness? Either way that was clean dude.

warionumbah2

Smash Master
did you already know that before the battle .
He mentioned it on the social, but no one really read it.

Now that he's put it to action, this should be a BnB combo for us when facing Fox. Its not hard at all and its rewarding he got like +45% off one throw.

Last edited:

Fye

Smash Apprentice
NNID
FE-Judge
I went to that Thursday weekly I mentioned in the social. There were high level PR players, but not the same level of competition as Shockwave. Hopefully will be able to go this week. Got 3rd lost to Gyo (that ROB again) and iiGGy (Rosalina). Not my best performace in the VOD, but it wasn't bad.

http://www.twitch.tv/epicgl/b/674871032
23:42 vs Pal [Duck Hunt] :Winner's Bracket
1:02:25 vs Gyo [ROB] :Winner's Bracket
2:33:00 vs GamingProdigy [Rosalina] :Loser's Semis
2:39:35 vs iiGGy [Rosalina] : Loser's Finals

Any criticism/critique is much appreciated.

Last edited:

warionumbah2

Smash Master
Last edited:

warionumbah2

Smash Master
The number of bats is rising, yea they aren't high level but its nice seeing more bats. Its mainly due to Ito's work and now Katakiri since he was uploaded on Vgbootcamp aka big exposure so casuals,reddit folks ect know about him instead of Ito Ito Ito. At least now people know there's other good MKs. Maybe more players will jump in the bat cave. I think there's like Angel(probably dropped him due to lack of progress),Gunblade and this Tag (you're it) guy using him atm.
Smash 4 Wars #32 - HBA Angel Cortes (:4sheik:) v Tag (:4metaknight:) Winner's Bracket https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsbAPibjyw0
Smash 4 Wars #32 - Tag (:4metaknight:) v Anorey (:4yoshi:) Losers Quarters https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3-zblgRPI0
Smash 4 Wars #32 - Ster Tha Kiid (:4ness:) v Tag (:4metaknight:) Losers Bracket https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7pbMpAT24Y
Smash 4 Wars #32 - MVG Gunblade (:4metaknight:) v HBA Angel Cortes (:4sheik:+:4diddy:) Winner's Finals https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjwy19G9Tsk
Smash 4 Wars #32 - MVG Gunblade (:4metaknight:+ :4dedede:) v Tag (:4metaknight:+:4falco:) Losers Finals https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CK-G8zumBEc

Thoughts?

Last edited:

AmishTechnology

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KIMPHIE
At least Meta Knight is fun to watch. It's a good thing he's trending, no doubt that < 1% of the people who try him out will stick with him, but the few who remain loyal can hopefully show us dem 0-deaths in a tournament soon.

Always telling myself, "I'll just main Falco or Ryu or Mewtwo..." but I always come back to the bat. Just too cool and u-airs and just, well, fast. Though I think Ryu is the better character.

W.A.C.

Smash Ace
S2H feels Meta Knight isn't good in this game, so that doesn't surprise me.

warionumbah2

Smash Master
He may as well drop him for Sheik.

Imma call you Tag dude cuz you tag literally everybody when it isn't needed. lol

And he's defo got issues.

Last edited:

W.A.C.

Smash Ace
I think @Slither2Hunter plays Meta Knight out of character loyalty, yet doesn't have the greatest confidence in the character by any means. Him and I got into an arguement on Facebook and here's a small excerpt of that.

"Imagine if Meta Knight had his up air nerfed to hell. It would suck, wouldn't it?" -Myself

"I wouldn't give a **** if he got nerfed. He deserves to be low tier. If he got nerfed super hard, I wouldn't mind it." -S2H

"If you're just going to complain about it, just quit the game." -S2H

"Why does Meta Knight deserve to be low tier? Also, I don't want to quit this game, but it's beyond frustrating that these balance patches keep forcing me to relearn my favorite character. I have horrendous memory issues and having to essentially relearn my matchups is a very long process for me, especially since I can't even practice online thanks to my lousy internet connection." -Myself

"Because Mk is trash and not viable. It sucks to be you." -S2H

He has also mocked the MK board in the SoCal Smash Facebook group.

"I swear the mk boards are ****en garbage anyway." -S2H

He's currently ranked #13 in SoCal's PR, so he's certainly a player that gets results at the very least.

Ulevo

Smash Master
I think @Slither2Hunter plays Meta Knight out of character loyalty, yet doesn't have the greatest confidence in the character by any means. Him and I got into an arguement on Facebook and here's a small excerpt of that.

"Imagine if Meta Knight had his up air nerfed to hell. It would suck, wouldn't it?" -Myself

"I wouldn't give a **** if he got nerfed. He deserves to be low tier. If he got nerfed super hard, I wouldn't mind it." -S2H

"If you're just going to complain about it, just quit the game." -S2H

"Why does Meta Knight deserve to be low tier? Also, I don't want to quit this game, but it's beyond frustrating that these balance patches keep forcing me to relearn my favorite character. I have horrendous memory issues and having to essentially relearn my matchups is a very long process for me, especially since I can't even practice online thanks to my lousy internet connection." -Myself

"Because Mk is trash and not viable. It sucks to be you." -S2H

He has also mocked the MK board in the SoCal Smash Facebook group.

"I swear the mk boards are ****en garbage anyway." -S2H

He's currently ranked #13 in SoCal's PR, so he's certainly a player that gets results at the very least.
Well he was rather salty that no one took him seriously when he proclaimed himself to be better than Ito. I am not entirely surprised.

W.A.C.

Smash Ace
I've yet to see two very high level Meta Knights do a 1 vs. 1. Ito, S2H, and Tyrant are probably the best Meta Knight players in California.

W.A.C.

Smash Ace
Yet forever reason, Sky Williams chose @The calm tyrant... over @ ItoI6 ItoI6 for the West Coast vs. East Coast crew battle. According to @ Xzax Kasrani Xzax Kasrani , he gave Sky Williams a lot of **** for that decision. Many other players have criticized Sky Williams for that as well. This was a conversation I had during a Twitch stream.

WAC89: I find it baffling Ito is only a sub for the WC crew battle.
BK_G: ^
XzaxSSB: yeah i told sky that
Roshon21: You Mr R haters can suck A D*ck
BK_G: we know who ito should replace Kappa
XzaxSSB: but he believes more in tyrants mk then itos lmao
XzaxSSB: not me

It's worth mentioning Xzax has fought Tyrant's Meta Knight many times, so he's well aware Tyrant is not as good with Meta Knight as Ito. I remember someone on a Facebook group claimed Tyrant acknowledged Ito is better with Meta Knight, but I don't have any proof Tyrant said anything like that so that claim might not be true. Regardless, I think both Tyrant and Ito are more than deserving to be part of the West Coast crew battle because they're both fantastic players, but Ito is definitely the best Meta Knight player in the world.

warionumbah2

Smash Master
Tyrant is always hyped up for no reason at all. This is actually hilarious that they put a vastly worse MK on there just because...

Your name is now Mr.Tag. ahahaha

Last edited:

W.A.C.

Smash Ace
Tyrant is always hyped up for no reason at all. This is actually hilarious that they put a vastly worse MK on there just because...

Your name is now Mr.Tag. ahahaha
Tyrant gets hyped up because he is a fantastic player, but his Meta Knight isn't at the level of Ito's. Now that Tyrant primarily mains Meta Knight, I'm looking forward to seeing how his Meta Knight evolves overtime.

warionumbah2

Smash Master
When your better than someone you won't lose, MK dittos is based heavily on that. Do you know more about MK than your opponent? You win. Are you better than them at using MK altogether? Have fun winning my friend.

He may as well go diddy.

Also about that crew ****: scroll down https://mobile.twitter.com/NMENanerz?max_id=617115877431902207

FYI W.A.C he's been hyped up when he had MK as a pocket, he got no results from the character and didn't even play with MK much. His first MK result was at CEO getting 13th his performance made it clear to me that Ito is just that much better than other MKs.

What's done is done, i don't think anyone agreed with sky about putting a weaker MK over the best but the team is finished. Don't think Ito cares anyway.

Last edited:

Catana

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Catanaa

ItoI6

Smash Journeyman
your ledge trapping is really bad, that luigi got back to stage for free every time even when he was using get up attack lol

grab a friend and practice this for a few hours.

there are two methods you should be ledgetrapping with

1) shield in front of neutral get up position and shield grab the 2 frames of vulnerability, and unshield + dash attack backwards to catch ledgeroll on reaction. if they ledgehop you can also consider that a win because they are still in a bad position you can convert damage off of. if luigi ledgehops he has really ****ty airspeed so you can basically just walk under him and uptilt when he tries to nair on top of you for free, so luigi mains almost always try and get away with the grounded getups. if you have good reactions he shouldnt be able to get away with it.

2) wait right outside of get up attack range and try to hit neutral get up with dash attack. it has a lot of active frames so its a lot easier to time, but even at mid percents they are just going to get knocked away by a 6% attack you cant follow up on because you will sd with shuttle loop.

wait for a moment while they start whatever getup they choose. you arent trying to guess, you want to actually be reacting to what they are doing. once you have that down you can start trying to react to character specfic ledge options like fox illusion or hammer sonic back on stage. for certain characters you always want to be doing one of those 2^ things because of unique options, and for others you want to mix it up and do either of them with the occasional hard read with tornado above ledge or fsmash.

for example luigis unique option is that he does drop down double jump fair, or drop down double jump fireball back on stage. if you practice it with a friend for a bit you can get used to oos shuttle looping both of those things. but anyways you need to shift this part of your game from reads to pure reactions. its just lazyness

vs falcon&fox - when you try and juggle characters with extreme fall speeds they will almost always start fastfalling, double jump then fastfall away again from you into the ground. its very hard to catch falcon but vs fox he doesnt have good airspeed so you can just double jump to where he will be and smack with him uair or something. if you know you wont reach them in time try dash shielding a bit farther than a dtilt spacing away from where they land and just wait. people expect you to be doing something to punish them, so if you just stand and wait for a reaction after they land it ****s them up.

dthrow fair isnt good, just run up and upb at higher percents

vs rob - mk kinda gets ****ed up by dthrow upair and the gyro is really annoying. i havent really figured it out myself yet but all i can say is to be patient, roll past the gyro when you can and just shield everything and let him overcommit to something

i also notice you always immediately double jump whenever youstart uair chains, and it gives you a lot of consistency but its cutting into some early upair string kills you could be getting because the jumps get smaller faster.

if you want easy edgeguards for damage that wont kill then you can just fall below your opponent and shuttle loop to the ledge, and then drop off and combo that into something else for like 20+%

AmishTechnology

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KIMPHIE
Very good instructions on the ledge trapping, I was always wondering if you guys played that based on raw reaction or more reads/anticipation. I get frustrated because theoretically being off-stage/ledge-grabbing should be just as disadvantageous as being knocked down or in the "vortex" of other fighting games, but I don't really know how to punish properly vs ledge grabs.

IPoD Max

Smash Rookie
http://www.twitch.tv/gameunderground/v/8183308

At 35:55 I play a match against chef-pac (koolaid), who is the second best player in my region (He mains pac/ sheik/ doc). I get beaten pretty hard, but I could use some tips on what I did wrong or what I should do against him in future. I know a few things I did wrong: I get hit by a bunch of random aerials and his down-b throughout the match, at 36:35 I meant to do a pivot f-smash, and I don't know why I didn't up-b at 37:15. I also roll way too much, which he quickly caught on to.

I think a lot of it is just stupid mistakes: maybe from nerves from being on stream and playing someone really good, but I could always use more advice. And I do feel like I've improved since the last time I posted a video.

Mr.Metal

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
0860-3619-7626
Hey Meta knights! im here to leave you sires with a video a friend (SDL Strider) of mine was feautured in, he rekted me. Opinions on his Meta knight are greatly appreciated!

Last edited:

warionumbah2

Smash Master
Come on and Ban #26 - Winner Semis: Ito (:4metaknight:) vs 4B|Arikie (:4sonic:/:4pikachu:)- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKtxLLZVYvI

Come on and Ban #26 - Winner Finals: Ito (:4metaknight: vs NME|Zex (:4sheik:) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEryE0-xgHc

Come on and Ban #26 - Grand Finals: Ito (:4metaknight:) vs NME|Zex (:4metaknight:)- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sojJyO6F7lE

There were 2 matches before where he decimated a Sonic and beat a Fox. You can catch that on twitch.

@ ItoI6 ItoI6 Why are you airdodging? STAPH!!! Other than combo's(that he flops hard) he's basically copying you. Prepare for more MK dittos cuz now they think its your weakness.

Edit hard: Sorry for double post mods.

LAST EDIT I PROMISE: I think the things we should take away from these vid are

A) To use PP in our play, f-Smash doesn't keep the slide but the distance MK travels is one of the best in the game and it allows us to space people out in neutral.

B) Nair against Sonic

C) Ito's weakness is MK so if you ever play him go MK. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Last edited:

ItoI6

Smash Journeyman
run backwards right before you sh nair on reaction to spindash release. it gives you a slightly bigger window of time i think. also if you **** up and totally misread his spindash then running backwards doesnt really hurt you at all. i worked with a friend to try and learn to deal with burning spindash on reaction, and that move is far harder because he doesnt hop and just goes full speed immediately. sonic is just way easier in vanilla
oh also i really wouldnt try to put perfect pivoting in your game its really hard and im still not sure its worth it

Last edited:
Top Bottom