• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

meta knight u air jump technique

dr0go

Smash Apprentice
i noticed that meta knight jumps while doing his uair if you hold ^ and spam A after the second jump do you people have any ideas why it happens and how can you use it?btw you can only do it as many times as you have jumps left.

also can other characters do it i am too lazy too test.....

ChromeSonic00

Smash Apprentice
It has its uses, such as juggling opponents for a short time in the air (It could link to combos).
As for why it operates like that, the developers just put the technique in like that.

WOPPLE

Smash Rookie
I have a theory.

Ever notice how holding up on the control stick makes you re-jump as soon as possible given you already used one re-jump? Well, the re-jumps after your first can only be done (normally) after you reach the peak of your last re-jump. However, the Uair will cancel that effect (subjection), so now the soonest you can re-jump is after the Uair ends. This happens to be sooner than when you would have reached the peak of your re-jump since Meta Knight's Uair recovers insanely fast. So after it ends, holding the control stick up will make you re-jump on the next frame, and mashing A will cause you to do another Uair.

SQuek

Smash Rookie
I can confirm what WOPPLE says, when you hold your controlstick tilted upwards, you will jump straight after you do uair, this means when u spam A while having the stick tilted upwards, u will spam uair untill you run out of jumps.
I have tested this by removing the option to jump when ticking the controlstick upwards, after this controlchange it stopped working for me. so the theory is correct!

Spamming uair will mean spamming A while tilting the stick upwards.

AK42_METAKNIGHT

Smash Cadet
I can confirm what WOPPLE says, when you hold your controlstick tilted upwards, you will jump straight after you do uair, this means when u spam A while having the stick tilted upwards, u will spam uair untill you run out of jumps.
I have tested this by removing the option to jump when ticking the controlstick upwards, after this controlchange it stopped working for me. so the theory is correct!

Spamming uair will mean spamming A while tilting the stick upwards.
Wopple and SQuek are correct. i personally did turn off the tilt up jump command and use the regular jumps. i think that it is easier to combo, because you can better space your uAirs and more easily shift into nAirs or upBs. just a preference, do what you want, but i suggest trying it both ways and see which you like better

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
I actually managed to hit a shield low enough by spamming U-air from under a platform my opponent was standing on to hit him 2 times. :O Decent strategy for when your opponent's shielding, but a bit situational.

Jonkenden

Smash Cadet
With practice and some luck you can sometimes Ko people by up airing them out the top, I done it but it's not very often it works. Usually just good for some extra damage and harrassment.

Lgndknight

Smash Ace
That's a given. It has such little lag that you actually have the jump, but no animation. Nobodies Uair is that fast aside from Meta, so you get... The Rising Uair!

MLG Masa

Smash Cadet
I have z set to attack so I play with up to jump set to off and I can jsut as easily press y and z to jump uair and continue with combo.

Robiin

Smash Cadet
I use this often, when people are above me. I spam it and at the last jump i Up-b and they fly up offscreen and die, because me and the opponent was way up in the air because of meta knights jumps..

AK42_METAKNIGHT

Smash Cadet
With practice and some luck you can sometimes Ko people by up airing them out the top, I done it but it's not very often it works. Usually just good for some extra damage and harrassment.
you have the right idea, just when you start getting them up high KO them with Shuttle Loop(UpB) and you should take that stock. but yes this i one of my favorite combos with metaknight and the first i discovered on my own while playing with him the first day its very fast and very effective, because his UAir is so fast it cancels the full jump animation and ends really fast to start the next one making chains of UAirs fairly simple.

Jonkenden

Smash Cadet
you have the right idea, just when you start getting them up high KO them with Shuttle Loop(UpB) and you should take that stock. but yes this i one of my favorite combos with metaknight and the first i discovered on my own while playing with him the first day its very fast and very effective, because his UAir is so fast it cancels the full jump animation and ends really fast to start the next one making chains of UAirs fairly simple.
Well I actually do use up b during the up airs but the short stop in combos usually makes my opponent able to strike back down and they out prioritize my shuttle loop often. But yeh it's sweet when it works

Top Bottom