• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Meta Knight Top Five Power Rankings:

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
I am in no way close to getting on this list, but all this list serves for me right now is a reference point for who I should be checking out. I will eventually be a top 5 bat someday though ;)

Also, I think it's pretty obligatory that if you're going to make claims for yourself that you post tournament matches, win-loss records, PR rankings (which was done by someone else so no worries there) and supporting material.

W.A.C.

Smash Ace
For a guy who doesn't own the game that's pretty damn impressive.
Yeah, no kidding. So basically his performances are mostly a demonstration of raw talent than anything else. If he owned the game and learned a lot of fundamentals to Meta Knight super well, he would probably become one of the scariest Meta Knights out there.

Slither2Hunter

Smash Cadet
I have wins on ConCon, Aphro, MastaZenyouX, RichBrown, Leepuff and a few others I seem to miss and not only that I've been using metaknight since prepatch. I mean my best win by far is concon and he took a set off ZeRo last friday. Oki is our other mk player who's been up there with me in results, but not PR'd wins yet.

warionumbah2

Smash Master
IMO i don't think Unknown should be up there especially since he doesn't have the game thus meaning his MKs growth is stunted.Then taking results into the consideration i'm baffled that he's on there, but hey.

Here's a MK i found, he played the Ganon MU poorly and got bopped real hard.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

W.A.C.

Smash Ace
Damn. Sounds like all the best Meta Knight players currently live in SoCal. lol

mrconcon

Smash Cadet
I have wins on ConCon, Aphro, MastaZenyouX, RichBrown, Leepuff and a few others I seem to miss and not only that I've been using metaknight since prepatch. I mean my best win by far is concon and he took a set off ZeRo last friday. Oki is our other mk player who's been up there with me in results, but not PR'd wins yet.

I wasn't nearly as good as I am now before Apex lol you can see a gradual increase better placings for me afterwards. My terms of skill as a player has dramatically increased since Apex. I was just okay before that.

Last edited:

Ulevo

Smash Master
How recent are those wins, excluding ConCon because he obviously just addressed that. Ito just recently took sets off RichBrown in tournament, so there's that. Can you post your notable tournament wins or placements?

Ulevo

Smash Master
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VG77tY5xGBQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSqMyo9senA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTg40tTAYyo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bn5vrFbRQmY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdG5pAK6QgA

I'll be honest, I do not feel Oki nor S2H are better than @ItoI6 . I won't take away from the skill of the players matched against them, but Meta Knight should not be dropping sets to Samus, Marth, and Ganondorf. I feel it's a little murky as to how they compare with @Katakiri given how little I've seen of him as of late, and I am not sure how strong his region is by comparison. I do think these are good players though.

Last edited:

ZTD | TECHnology

Midwest has a few strong players in each state that would definitely do well outside of their state (Katakiri being one of them) but Midwest as a whole is not a strong region. We have numbers but the skilled player ratio is probably significantly less than say SoCal.

Slither2Hunter

Smash Cadet
Myself, Oki and Katakiri. Also, Oki plays with Matt Hazard all the time and hates that mu with a passion. Oki is a really good metaknight in the socal region. Myself and Oki used all Metaknight in tournaments since pre-patch.

Here's a tournament I entered 2 days ago. http://challonge.com/msm0

I lost to the best Marth who has beaten K9 recently and losing to the best Samus in our region. They're notable players. Nicko was ranked in brawl in our socal PR and Jonny Westside was a top 3 snake in PM. Those are not bad losses at all.

Last edited:

OkinawaOldSchool

Smash Cadet
Damn all my worst videos getting exposed in this thread. That being said I (Oki) have wins over Rich Brown, ImHip, Willyo, S2H, Southpaw ect who are all ranked or honorable mentions here on our Socal PR. I do believe im 4th below S2H and it seems that every time I get a match recorded I lose it xD. I'll try and find some recent matches in archives after I get off work. I do also have some questionable losses (Ala that Ganondorf after I beat his Sheik) except I don't feel I played the matchup poorly, rather just am incapable of teching Flame Choke and dying at 90 every stock to Ftilt. Sigh.

Also my Top 5 would be
1. Ito
2. S2H
3. Tyrant
4. Oki
5. Katakiri

Last edited:

ZTD | TECHnology

Can someone possibly shed some light on what notable wins Tyrant has with Metaknight? No doubt he's super talented, just wanna know what he had done with MK.

warionumbah2

Smash Master
Can someone possibly shed some light on what notable wins Tyrant has with Metaknight? No doubt he's super talented, just wanna know what he had done with MK.
Dont think he's done anything outside of friendlies could be wrong. His MK is indeed better than most besides Ito but I haven't seen any results he's gotten from going mostly MK. I don't think he should be mentioned until results gets mentioned or posted.

Katakiri would be higher but his scene is mostly customs and you already know what he thinks of MK in that meta.
Damn all my worst videos getting exposed in this thread. That being said I (Oki) have wins over Rich Brown, ImHip, Willyo, S2H, Southpaw ect who are all ranked or honorable mentions here on our Socal PR. I do believe im 4th below S2H and it seems that every time I get a match recorded I lose it xD. I'll try and find some recent matches in archives after I get off work. I do also have some questionable losses (Ala that Ganondorf after I beat his Sheik) except I don't feel I played the matchup poorly, rather just am incapable of teching Flame Choke and dying at 90 every stock to Ftilt. Sigh.

Also my Top 5 would be
1. Ito
2. S2H
3. Tyrant
4. Oki
5. Katakiri
The ganon MU is similar to olimar imo, why stay on the ground? In olimars case he leaves us no choice because he invalidates our ground approaches but ganon doesn 't, however his damage per hit, range and command grab should make one think 'maybe I should camp in the air and occasionally dash attack when he over commits and rinse and repeat'.

Thats how I approach the MU. It is odd how you beat sheik but lose to ganon kek. From my eyes the MU was played poorly.

Last edited:

warionumbah2

Smash Master
Top 5 MKs IMO
1. ITO
2. Tyrant
3. S2H
4. Unknown
5. Oki
Based on what? If its off results its wrong.FACT. If its about who uses MK better its also wrong. FACT.

Why does Tyrant get mentioned yet again??? This list doesn't help the thread. The fact that Unknown is there above Katakiri + Oki made this list fraudulent from the get go.

Last edited:

Ulevo

Smash Master
Until someone proves to me that Tyrant uses Meta Knight for notable tournament matches, I won't consider placing him. Like ZTD mentioned, the guys good, but if he's not using the character in bracket it doesn't mean anything.

D

Deleted member

Until someone proves to me that Tyrant uses Meta Knight for notable tournament matches, I won't consider placing him. Like ZTD mentioned, the guys good, but if he's not using the character in bracket it doesn't mean anything.
He used MK aagainst ZeRo in GFs at DVDA 8 or 9

Ulevo

Smash Master
He used MK aagainst ZeRo in GFs at DVDA 8 or 9

I'm not impressed. Fails easy follow ups, uses unsafe aerials like forward air versus shield on land. Movement is good but he does not look like a dedicated character main. I'm sure his game sense is still good but he'd likely get trounced by many of the Meta Knights here.

Ulevo

Smash Master
I've changed the order of the PR for now. Going forward I'll look to change it at the start of each month. Currently Ito is 1st, with S2H 2nd, Oki 3rd, and Katakiri 4th. I'll be honest, I have an inclination Katakiri is better than the former two. However, the former two are in a stronger region with better players. Until I see evidence to support otherwise from Katakiri on how he stacks we'll be keeping it at this.

I'm not going to bother with a 5th for now. Tyrant and Unknown are shaky and inconsistent as Meta Knight players, and there are not many other nominees left. Maybe @ ZTD | TECHnology ZTD | TECHnology will pick up the pace and get his ass on here, but that's all we've got right now.

W.A.C.

Smash Ace
So in the whole country, we essentially have only about four noteworthy Meta Knight players? :/ That's kind of sad considering how he was the most used character in Brawl. It does make me wonder how good Tyrant would be with Meta Knight in this game if he solely mained that character like he did in Brawl and Project M.

Last edited:

ZTD | TECHnology

I've changed the order of the PR for now. Going forward I'll look to change it at the start of each month. Currently Ito is 1st, with S2H 2nd, Oki 3rd, and Katakiri 4th. I'll be honest, I have an inclination Katakiri is better than the former two. However, the former two are in a stronger region with better players. Until I see evidence to support otherwise from Katakiri on how he stacks we'll be keeping it at this.

I'm not going to bother with a 5th for now. Tyrant and Unknown are shaky and inconsistent as Meta Knight players, and there are not many other nominees left. Maybe @ ZTD | TECHnology ZTD | TECHnology will pick up the pace and get his *** on here, but that's all we've got right now.

I'm making gains each and every single day.

Expect to see me worthy of making that list soon! I want it and I will reach my goal!

:4metaknight:

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
I'm not going to bother with a 5th for now. Tyrant and Unknown are shaky and inconsistent as Meta Knight players, and there are not many other nominees left.
I literally said a Meta Knight won a NATIONAL here where a lot of top players attended though I don't have exact data. You either need actual evidence, ignored my suggestion, or think our country is bad. Or all of them.

Bonk!

Smash Journeyman
NNID
IPAVGSSB
3DS FC
2638-1531-9991
@ Fye Fye recently beat AeroLink with customs on. That's pretty awesome. There's no video because it happened off stream, but it is mentioned here.
This set also demonstrates how bad the R.O.B. MU is for us despite how patiently he played.

warionumbah2

Smash Master
In default the R.O.B MU isn't bad, but customs yea it sucks. However that's the only video of this MU being played and i think its Fye's first time playing that MU in customs ontop of him not using MK's ground game tools effectively.

MK in customs isn't looking bright theoretically anyway.

Fye

Smash Apprentice
NNID
FE-Judge
It was my first time playing a ROB. My ground game needs definite improvement though which I feel is a big thing in this matchup. Palutena (even customs) is much easier to handle for me as I just catch interrupt her movement patterns. I'll be checking out that ROB matchup thread before the next tournament.

Ulevo

Smash Master
I do not feel that video is a proper representation of the R.O.B. match up, custom or otherwise. Fye was obviously inexperienced, and I saw nerves going on too. That said, it is indicative of the level he is currently at. But beating Aerolink is solid, and he did well versus Oracle.

Unless @ Slither2Hunter Slither2Hunter or @ OkinawaOldSchool OkinawaOldSchool have recent results, I am likely throwing @Katakiri in 2nd come June. Getting 5th at Shuffle, coming short of Ally and M2K and two others is impressive, and I think this helps to solidify him as a player that's good, not just in his state.

I am comfortable throwing Fye in 5th as well.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

We should definitely keep an eye on Salena and Lucia from Japan, I feel like they can definitely make the top 5 list. They were at two separate tournaments last weekend and did some impressive stuff, placed well, and also had close games with some of the top players from Japan.

I'll post the Twitch streams where the tournaments were held later on our video thread and include time stamps for their matches, but for now watch these videos.

That's Lucia against a top Peach player named Kie, I believe Kie is top 3 Peach in the world.

Here's Salena against Nietono. This guy right here had the entire Twitch chat hyped up, making them think MK was broken because of how early he was killing his earlier opponents with the Uair to Shuttle Loop combo.

Ulevo

Smash Master
Meta Knight can kill light characters very early if they are ignorant of how Meta Knight works and allow him to seize his instant kill window. Rosalina dies from a dash attack as early as 9%.

Anyhow, Selena is good. How do people in here feel they stack against our Meta Knights?

warionumbah2

Smash Master
Selena is only known now because he placed high, his MK is ok. A MK that capes on shield twice cannot be called great tbh. They seem to be behind the current MK meta, they play neutral poorly and don't actually bait and seem to not have a game plain against different characters.

The top 3 or 4 MKs in the US are better than the Japanese by heaps and bounds. The US is weird, you got the strongest MKs in the world in there but also a tone of bad ones, while japan seem to be on that middle wavelength nothing spectacular unless they're the first ever MKs you've seen. Thats how I see it, they definitely aren't pushing the meta like amsa does for frog, abandango does for pacman ect.

Fye

Smash Apprentice
NNID
FE-Judge
In both those sets, I feel like I'm watching a person play into MK's strengths but who doesn't have the best understanding of the character. It's very different from watching Ito, Katakiri, or S2H where I feel like I'm learning spacing, matchups, and setups from watching how they play the game. I don't know how developed the MK knowledge is there, but it doesn't seem like they have as much as we do.

ZTD | TECHnology

If you check out that channel you'll see Salena play against Yui and a few others. He's smart. And kinda technical. But any seasoned MK can see our top American MKs know the character more intimately. Lucia is okay.

W.A.C.

Smash Ace
With Tyrant's recent performances at CEO and EVO, I'd say he deserves to be put on this list.

warionumbah2

Smash Master
His results at 2 of the biggest tournaments this year overrides the results any MK main has gotten through locals IMO. You guys also got to see him on stream but i missed it, apparently he was playing really well and was hard to recognize when you look at his play in CEO and the crew battle the day before.

He's beaten Fatality at CEO and eliminated Ito at EVO, results cannot be ignored he's also the only MK that actually solo mained him at these events. He should be in the top 3 or 2, he only just picked MK up as a main after the Diddy nerf and he's already doing better than most if not all on the list. He may not appear at much locals,youtube,twitch but the tournaments that matter, the tournaments on the big stage, you can bet he'll be there actually getting results placing in top 20 filled with stacked players.

Edit: He also beat Salem who uses Sheik and ZSS both bad MUs for us.

Last edited:
Top Bottom