• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Meta Knight to be Overplayed?

heytallman

CTALL
It seems like everyone seems to want to use/main Meta Knight. Does anyone think that he will become this game's version of Fox or Marth? Don't get me wrong, I love Fox and Marth, but it just seems like a lot of people use them. Your thoughts?

fire_wulf

Smash Journeyman
MK and Sonic will be greatly overplayed, in my opinion. especially online. They are characters that are good without a lot of practice and can be picked up by noobs and they can have fun with them. So unfortunately.. as much as i plan on making MK one of my mains... he will be overplayed.

Brawleri

Smash Journeyman
I will main him, and i really think too many ppl will be TRYING to main him first.

When some ppl realize how weak KO power MK has, some will probably stop trying to main him =), he maybe good for starter, but it seems he has some things that need mastering. And that's what i like.

I've always loved MK in kirby games, and he wasn't playable in many games. I was so happy that he came in brawl!

AfroThunder396

Smash Cadet
Im certainly going to give him first priority to be my main. I honestly think once a get a few hours of solid playing time down the KO'ing wont be an issue (its all about timing). If it doesn't work though, I might switch my main over to Diddy (combo machine), Pokemon Trainer (3 for 1), or Captain Falcon (my Melee main) if he's in.

But yeah, he's definately going to be the main of choice, at least for the first 3 months.

Lgndknight

Smash Ace
really, everybody is going to at least try Metaknight, the hype is too great not to. however, a few will stick wih him, myself included(hopefully). I plan to use Metaknight because I like the way Jiggs plays, which is kinda floaty and able to stick it out. some people might like Ike (pat on the back for reference) for his ability to KO at ridiculous percents. Or some people might use Mario for his all-roundedness. and to Firewulf, it's both stupid and arrogant to assume any newcomer is pick-up and play, before the game comes out.

saratos

Smash Apprentice
He will only be overplayed if he is good. So far, we can only gauge him off of his noob-friendlyness.

MRun

Smash Cadet
I fear that Meta Knight will suffer from "Sheik Syndrome." From the demo, it already looks like he has the most easily spammable Special attacks, so I wouldn't be surprised if spiters start calling him a "n00b character," as they did with Sheik in Melee.

But, I plan on using him anyways. I'm proud to say that I'm one of the load of people who actually wanted him playable back when the game was tentatively titled "Super Smash Bros. Revolution," and I'm still eager to use him.

RoxasXIII

Smash Journeyman
this is a big reason y they should put in as many characters as they can in brawl. the use of characters would be more spread out, so even if it my not change the fact that you want to play as mk, it might make others decide to change, so, the more the merrier!

also, so far, gonna main meta knight. :)

kidhurt3

Smash Rookie
I will main him, and i really think too many ppl will be TRYING to main him first.

When some ppl realize how weak KO power MK has, some will probably stop trying to main him =), he maybe good for starter, but it seems he has some things that need mastering. And that's what i like.

I've always loved MK in kirby games, and he wasn't playable in many games. I was so happy that he came in brawl!
the weak ko power is one of the reasons why i won't main him. Wil i use him... hell yeah!:laugh:

Psydon

Smash Journeyman
Metaknight will definitely be overplayed, but I'm actually glad about it.

Think about it. New people will turn to Metaknight because "he's so fast", thinking that they can do to people what others have done with Fox, Sheik and Marth. But they'll swiftly realize that Metaknight, while easy to pick up and play, is far from being anything like his Melee counterparts.

You wanna know who I am worried about? Sonic. Given Gimpy's description, he seems like he might be the new Falco.

geemann2236

Smash Journeyman
He is an easy character to pick up, but people are gonna eventually realize how weak his KO power is, and thus are going to eventually stop overusing him.

fire_wulf

Smash Journeyman
really, everybody is going to at least try Metaknight, the hype is too great not to. however, a few will stick wih him, myself included(hopefully). I plan to use Metaknight because I like the way Jiggs plays, which is kinda floaty and able to stick it out. some people might like Ike (pat on the back for reference) for his ability to KO at ridiculous percents. Or some people might use Mario for his all-roundedness. and to Firewulf, it's both stupid and arrogant to assume any newcomer is pick-up and play, before the game comes out.
As you can see... a good number of people also believe that MK can be a pick up and play character. I really don't see my self as being arrogant and stupid for saying this. I am making this opinion off of the numerous videos from E4 all that i have watched. It just seemed that people could combo very easily with MK without having a lot of time to practice.

I am not bashing MK as seeing as i will be playing him consistently.. I am just saying he seems he will be a lot like sheik and be kind to n00bs

Dark Meta-Knight

Smash Apprentice
I can tell you right now, I'll over use MK.. and Pit. Now, if Isaac is confirmed, then he'll be my favorite character.

edde

Smash Ace
NNID
edmichu
metaknght seems to be th ebest starter mainly because his forward smahs seems like marth's, also, he is kirby floaty with a disjointedh itbox (sword), and seems to be a greta character to pull out some wicked combos, he does look like a top tier character, but nobody knows who are hidden ones, so, as they appear, metaknight might lose fans and there will maybe be better characters than what everybody thinks of him so far

Machspeed

Smash Lord
I doubt he'll be overused. Meta Knight may rack up damage percentages quite fast, but when it comes down to KOing, he needs enemies to be very high to kill them. Now, I'm not saying it's impossible to get kills; he is a great character for people beginning to brawl to play.

People will eventually become impatient with his low KO rates, and switch off. However, not all will switch off. Those who do like his gameplay will master him, and will find ways to KO and play him well. Will be overused in the beginning but a month or two into the games release, it'll be down to those who really want to play him, maining him.

iron blade

Smash Ace
I doubt he'll be overused. Meta Knight may rack up damage percentages quite fast, but when it comes down to KOing, he needs enemies to be very high to kill them. Now, I'm not saying it's impossible to get kills; he is a great character for people beginning to brawl to play.

People will eventually become impatient with his low KO rates, and switch off. However, not all will switch off. Those who do like his gameplay will master him, and will find ways to KO and play him well. Will be overused in the beginning but a month or two into the games release, it'll be down to those who really want to play him, maining him.
you pretty much summed it all up, i agree completely

Lgndknight

Smash Ace
As you can see... a good number of people also believe that MK can be a pick up and play character. I really don't see my self as being arrogant and stupid for saying this. I am making this opinion off of the numerous videos from E4 all that i have watched. It just seemed that people could combo very easily with MK without having a lot of time to practice.

I am not bashing MK as seeing as i will be playing him consistently.. I am just saying he seems he will be a lot like sheik and be kind to n00bs
My point being that E4All might have had something to do with being able to balance characters, or change them. Comparing him to Sheik, and I'll be kind as possible... Shiek has the ability to be aerial based. You seem to know your way around the newcomers enough to know, Metaknight isn't so hot in the air. while the game isn't out yet, we can safely assume they won't change too much, if any. Also, nobody had any Bralw experience, so Metaknight sould fulfill his purpose as a comboer. but later when people get a chance to observe, they will learn.

fire_wulf

Smash Journeyman
My point being that E4All might have had something to do with being able to balance characters, or change them. Comparing him to Sheik, and I'll be kind as possible... Shiek has the ability to be aerial based. You seem to know your way around the newcomers enough to know, Metaknight isn't so hot in the air. while the game isn't out yet, we can safely assume they won't change too much, if any. Also, nobody had any Bralw experience, so Metaknight sould fulfill his purpose as a comboer. but later when people get a chance to observe, they will learn.
I play some n00bs that use sheiks ground based moves cuz they don't get the aerial aspect. However.. i feel that MK will be able to do both. the ability to air dodge, jump, air dodge all without touching the ground can lead to some very good air combos along with his >B.

I see MK as being a great pro character and a pick up and play.... both will play completely different. But .. unfortunately.... MK will be overplayed.

Viral

Smash Apprentice
I'd like to main Metaknight or Sonic but after hearing what people have to say about them the whole overplayed thing is a bit off putting. I know you should just use whoever you want regardless of how popular they are, but I don't want to constantly go into random games full of Metaknights, Sonics and probably Pits.

geemann2236

Smash Journeyman
Yeah I think that him and Pit will be the main attraction for awhile...But they might switch eventually.
Here are the differences between Pit and MK:
Pit has a ranged weapon in addition to melee weapons.
Pit actually has KOability.

Pit is not underpowered in any way, he was actually my favorite character at E-4-All.

Lgndknight

Smash Ace
metaknght seems to be th ebest starter mainly because his forward smahs seems like marth's, also, he is kirby floaty with a disjointedh itbox (sword), and seems to be a greta character to pull out some wicked combos, he does look like a top tier character, but nobody knows who are hidden ones, so, as they appear, metaknight might lose fans and there will maybe be better characters than what everybody thinks of him so far
I don't he has a tipper. can somebody confrim he doesn't have a tipper?

ShuffleTrain

Smash Journeyman
Majority of the people who will buy and play Brawl, will most deffinitly play as MetaKnight a lot.
(purely for appearance)

I know some kid in my town that only plays Fox for his fsmash. It's apparnetly just so darn cool.
(keep rolling around him for funny affect XD)

mattram08

Smash Apprentice
I think that the most overplayed characters will be MK and Sonic. I feel bad admitting, but I'm going to be adding to both those numbers. I'm torn between MK and Sonic. I'm thinking about making one of them my main. I'm gonna do some experimenting with both and if I decide I'm good enough I'll pick one. I do have a back-up plan. If I look like a noob playing with MK and Sonic I'll have to fall back on my classic main Fox (who is also overplayed). I gotta stop using these overplayed characters. The Ice Climbers maybe lol

Gerudo Warrior

Smash Master
man. there are gonna be so many sonic mainers is's not funny. i don't think he is gonna be overplayed. some high class smashers will play sonic there will be a FLUDD of noobs. (see what i did there?) i don't think he will be overplayed. all the noobs will migrate to sonic

Silver Flame

Smash Ace
It is likely that MK will be overused. He has some very good qualites, High speed, good range, multiple jumps, gliding, floaty(if you want to consider it good or bad is up to you), good specials. There is a lot to like. However, this is not why I will main MK. I have wanted to main MK from the moment I saw he was a newcomer in the first video. So if he is overused, whatever. That just means a lot of people see a lot of good qualites in him. If they want to play him then let them and don't worry about it. He could be bottom tier(*coughyeahrightcough*) and i would still main him.

SilverKnight

Smash Cadet
I hope he is, it will be all the more challenging for me to become the greatest Meta Knight main XD.

I look foreward to challenging you all. Hahahaha. *cough*

Yes, he will be naturally because he is one of the coolest looking characters in Brawl thus far in my opinion, and has a large focus with the SSE, seeing how his Ship is a pivotal aspect.

He will most likely play the on the fence Hero/ villian rival type who joins you in the end, you know the type XD

And by that nature, popular. You know equate it with Protoman, and Shadow The Hedgehog.

That, or just as villianous as he was in Revenge of the Meta Knight.

In any scenario he will be a badass, and this will attract players to him.

fums63

Smash Apprentice
my main in the other 2 smashes was overplayed... but with meta knight at first i was excited but everyone thought pit looked cooler. then his special moves didnt look too interesting to me but after seeing the youtube videos he looks great.

heytallman

CTALL
Yes. They proboly will. Don't worry about me though, because I'll be maining Lucas.;)
Ah Lucas, nice. I'll probably end up making him my secondary (provided that Jiggz is in) because Ness was my 2nd in Melee, and things ain't lookin so hot for Ness right now. So, looks like I'll probably be "stuck" with Lucas (although he does look really cool)

PyroRyuken

Smash Ace
Im certainly going to give him first priority to be my main. I honestly think once a get a few hours of solid playing time down the KO'ing wont be an issue (its all about timing). If it doesn't work though, I might switch my main over to Diddy (combo machine), Pokemon Trainer (3 for 1), or Captain Falcon (my Melee main) if he's in.

But yeah, he's definately going to be the main of choice, at least for the first 3 months.
Same here. I'm glad that Metaknight has some kind of downside. otherwise he would be cheap and I wouldn't want to main him.

kemkian

Smash Cadet
:chuckle:i don't care. while you guys are playing as Meta-Knight, i'll be killing you as lucario.:chuckle:

Top Bottom