• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Meta Knight: Questions & Answers Thread (Don't make or reply to new threads just asking questions)

W.A.C.

Smash Ace
Just pick Sheik until she gets nerfed.
Here's the thing. If someone invests a lot into a character only because they're the best and that character gets nerfed to hell, they basically wasted their time with that character. It's a bit baffling how unsafe it is to main any top tier in this game. So it's probably best to pick a secondary they really like a ton as long as the character compliments Meta Knight well.

Last edited:

warionumbah2

Smash Master
He's asking for a secondary not a main, he shouldn't be investing so much time into a secondary who you'll barely use outside certain MUs you suck at.

Nothing wrong with having a pocket top tier, everyone did it with Diddy and everyone is doing it with Sheik atm. When she's nerfed she'll be cast aside.

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
The tl;dr version of this question which has been asked quite a few times and answered in the same way:

You don't need a secondary as Meta Knight.

If you insist of having one: Sheik. Anything else is sub-optimal.

W.A.C.

Smash Ace
He's asking for a secondary not a main, he shouldn't be investing so much time into a secondary who you'll barely use outside certain MUs you suck at.

Nothing wrong with having a pocket top tier, everyone did it with Diddy and everyone is doing it with Sheik atm. When she's nerfed she'll be cast aside.
Some people invest a lot into their secondaries. As an example, ESAM used Yoshi a ton day 1 at Super Smash Con. [LINK] He also recently said he wants to play that character at a top level because "Yoshi is hype".

M.Y.S.T

Smash Cadet
Metaknights armor ( horn things on his shoulder) have a chance of blocking tilts from characters that have swords.
I actually discovered this in training mode while playing around with marth.
Anyway to do this go into training mode pick marth put cpu as meta knight obviously, go on a flat stage.
Now walk up to metaknight but stay at a distance. Do forward tilts to possession yourself if you're having trouble since it moves you forward.
K now possession your forward tilt to where it just barely hits metaknights horn things. K now look very closely if you see small sparks come out you successfully done it. This may come in handy when fighting Marth but I suggest not to do since it's incredibly risky.

Ulevo

Smash Master
Metaknights armor ( horn things on his shoulder) have a chance of blocking tilts from characters that have swords.
I actually discovered this in training mode while playing around with marth.
Anyway to do this go into training mode pick marth put cpu as meta knight obviously, go on a flat stage.
Now walk up to metaknight but stay at a distance. Do forward tilts to possession yourself if you're having trouble since it moves you forward.
K now possession your forward tilt to where it just barely hits metaknights horn things. K now look very closely if you see small sparks come out you successfully done it. This may come in handy when fighting Marth but I suggest not to do since it's incredibly risky.
This is a phantom hit box.

stingers

Smash Obsessed
does anone know why sometimes the first hit of MKs upb drags people upwards and sometimes it keeps them in place?

Steelballray

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ray-run
3DS FC
1263-8867-0397
Hello. I don't know if you remember me. I kinda spammed your forums asking questions and stuff so yeah.

I have been playing MK almost religiously the past two weeks and I'm getting the hang out of it. I have been practicing with the best Rosalina player in the country and possibly the Middle East and both my Meta Knight and my over all fundamentals and decision making skills have been getting better. (I know this will sound idiotic and farfetched to you but this dude plays a Rosalina coming straight out of hell. You may think Dabuz is good but he ain't as half as technical and quick as this guy is)
I am still not the best juggler but I'm working on it. Meta Knight is the first character I ever legitimately trained with. But still, I have yet so much to learn..
I keep scrolling around the forum and I see talks about guides and what not.. I heard something about a throw guide made by ito but I failed to find it..
Theres nothing in particular that I want to ask about but I wish you guys would direct me to some video guides of him made by actual good Meta Knight players. I guess MK fights can count as well since I'll be able to see how he fares in MUs and how to handle neutral.

I know I might sound lazy but I searched for these stuff and barely found any. Might be the fact that I'm on using my phone. I found some matches of Unknown but eh...

So yeah, any help and guidence would be much appreciated.

Jamurai

Victory is my destiny
NNID
Jamurai92
Good to hear about your practice dude. Man all this talk about people improving and training is getting me really hyped for when I move next month and get properly involved in the scene.

There aren't any good videos which are full guides I don't think. There are text guides, the best one on here is Bonk!'s, and my guide has some other tips. But there are plenty of matches from good players in the video thread.

Also here's a link to Ito's throw guide.

EDIT: make sure that when you're analysing matches in the video thread, you think about the patch context, cause the MK meta has changed with each buff he has received.

Last edited:

warionumbah2

Smash Master
Simple, there's a sweetspot. I think its located approximately above mks head, it kills earlier and the 2nd hit is guaranteed so long as you aim the 2nd hit properly.

Last edited:

NeiKo

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
0061-2175-1892
obviously this question may be asked a lot of times but im lazy of searching for it so im gonna have to repeat it whats a good way of practicing the u air strings bcuz i just end up getting 2 u airs when ik i can get more

ZTD | TECHnology

obviously this question may be asked a lot of times but im lazy of searching for it so im gonna have to repeat it whats a good way of practicing the u air strings bcuz i just end up getting 2 u airs when ik i can get more

Bruh.

There is literally discussion of this on the page right before this.

Jamurai

Victory is my destiny
NNID
Jamurai92
How does MK deal with projectiles?
Use your mobility, multiple jumps, perfect shields, and our quick rolls and spotdodge to deal with them. We have quite a lot of tools, using them depends on what projectiles they are and what your opponent's habits are. With slow projectiles like Luigi fireball you can literally just walk away. If you notice an opponent repeatedly charges a projectile like Charge Shot then DCape them in the butt.

ZTD | TECHnology

You can also Mach Tornado through a weaker projectile if you are close enough for a very damaging punish. Drill Rush always works in this matter and goes through more projectiles. These aren't staple options, more read-based.

Steelballray

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ray-run
3DS FC
1263-8867-0397
Hello. Me again.
I noticed that I get punished a lot for using jabs and it cost me matches that I was so ahead in. ):
I'm thinking of dropping jabs and training myself to use F-tilt instead always. It made sense cause they are faster and I can stop them if they get blocked or whatever, unlike the dreaded jabs. They just seem like a better option over jabs almost always. So do you guys have any thoughts about that?

Also, what do you guys think of about using Cape vs. Opponets who are in the air? I tried it and I really like the results. It uses the "Wait, what?!" Factor a lot so I don't think it's smart to use it more than once a match, maybe twice. Also you have to take in account where they will be after you in the air cause cape takes a little time to get there. I know it sounds stupid but its very hard to dodge cause you can't see exactly when the hit as coming and the reversed version (16%) has a bigass hitbox (pretty much all of MK and his cape) also, KO'ING ZSS at like 70 %from the centre of stage is always something worth putting some risk into. :B
What do you think about that? ****ty mixup that won't work against better players or a good option to keep an eye for?

Last edited:

Lufos

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Lufosf
3DS FC
0087-2359-1559
Hello. Me again.
I noticed that I get punished a lot for using jabs and it cost me matches that I was so ahead in. ):
I'm thinking of dropping jabs and training myself to use F-tilt instead always. It made sense cause they are faster and I can stop them if they get blocked or whatever, unlike the dreaded jabs. They just seem like a better option over jabs almost always. So do you guys have any thoughts about that?
I wonder about the jab as well, because it seems like some of you guys think it's good now? All I can think of is vs some characters who have trouble sweet spotting the edge.

Amadeus9

Smash Ace
NNID
Amadeuswololo
Quite a few reasons why jab is better than ftilt in quite a few situations. The first is, as you said, covering the ledge. It's pretty good at that. Characters that have upbs that have issues sweet spotting the ledge (like captain falcon) will take 40% or so before being able to recover. It's pretty nasty. Second, it's pretty safe to use on shield. It'll eat up shields and poke, and if it doesn't poke they'll be pushed out and you cancel the jab to hit them with the big hitbox when they drop shield. Third, getting someone caught in jab when they're barely in front of you (so that it takes a long time to get pushed out) will do a ton of damage. A good jab can do 15-30 percent. Pretty good punish.

Jab has IASA frames so buffer actions out of it. The lag doesn't last anywhere near as long as it looks.

What ftilt is good for is spacing with perfect pivots, and using the first hit to combo into shuttle loop at high percents. Other than that it's actually only 4 frames faster lag wise on all three hits and you get a LOT less reward (it's only 10 damage) AND if you use it on shield you're going to eat an fsmash.

Lufos

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Lufosf
3DS FC
0087-2359-1559
Quite a few reasons why jab is better than ftilt in quite a few situations. The first is, as you said, covering the ledge. It's pretty good at that. Characters that have upbs that have issues sweet spotting the ledge (like captain falcon) will take 40% or so before being able to recover. It's pretty nasty. Second, it's pretty safe to use on shield. It'll eat up shields and poke, and if it doesn't poke they'll be pushed out and you cancel the jab to hit them with the big hitbox when they drop shield. Third, getting someone caught in jab when they're barely in front of you (so that it takes a long time to get pushed out) will do a ton of damage. A good jab can do 15-30 percent. Pretty good punish.

Jab has IASA frames so buffer actions out of it. The lag doesn't last anywhere near as long as it looks.

What ftilt is good for is spacing with perfect pivots, and using the first hit to combo into shuttle loop at high percents. Other than that it's actually only 4 frames faster lag wise on all three hits and you get a LOT less reward (it's only 10 damage) AND if you use it on shield you're going to eat an fsmash.

Great info! Thanks a lot, didn't know it was only 4 frames slower!

Last edited:

_gold_

Smash Master
Is there a video where I can see MK's zero-to-death combo? I know the general idea, but I'd like to actually see a visual representation. Does anyone have that clip?

Last edited:

warionumbah2

Smash Master
0-death is a myth, never been pulled off in competitive play. Killing people below 30-40% is a normal thing that occurs however, large portion of the cast(35 from what i counted based on statistics,videos and experience) gets blown away by MKs over the top and underrated punish game.

Every player outside this board are ignorant on the percent they legit die at, alot of MKs are ignorant as well outside the high level ones and the MKs that post on these boards.

Certain characters die below 10% which makes the MU a complete joke most of the time.

iVoltage

$5.99 Abuser
Is there a video that breaks down meta knight a bit more than just displaying combos and such? I find those really valuable for actually learning the stuff, but I haven't found a single one.

warionumbah2

Smash Master
Anyone have tips to deal with luigi and his fire balls?
Power shield them and space luigi out. We have a sword fellow bat wield it, f smash is obviously safer due to luigis slide physics, dtilt and ftilt are also decent options thanks to the overall frame data buff.

Here's ito fighting a luigi for an example https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ONvjdFvryYQ

It was pre patch fire balls tho and mk, u see ito try to space with dtilt and u really didn't see him dash attack that much actually. Also remember those percents where uair combos work coughmycoughpostcoughincoughthatthread.

Also tech beating a luigi, u see him do a little bit of spacing too.https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Yv8zwUZZqV4 MKs are slowly starting to realise that they have a sword, I can also send a replay of how I handle it but.....you probably don't wanna see me run down the clock.

Last edited:

KOOMAN

Smash Rookie
NNID
obliviousloser
Omg watching those sets really opened up my eyes on what I doing wrong thanks for the help. Ugh I still have much yet to learn.

I speak Spanish too

Smash Journeyman
Is there a video that breaks down meta knight a bit more than just displaying combos and such? I find those really valuable for actually learning the stuff, but I haven't found a single one.
MK's neutral is pretty nonexistant outside of dash grab, dash attack, empty hops and short dashes so aside from combos you need to pretty much adapt to a situation to formulate your approach.

RandomGuySheep

Smash Cadet
What happened to Ito? After Evo he kinda just dropped off the scene. Curious since his Meta Knight was fun to watch.

Top Bottom