• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Meta Knight: Questions & Answers Thread (Don't make or reply to new threads just asking questions)

David Galanos

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Apost1e
Bro, just play whoever feels natural. With the endless amount of diversity in Smash, you shouldn't have to make a hard decision about who you want to play. If you have doubts on whether or not you should play a character, drop him. I used to play Palutena, but I always had doubts on her damage and lag. So, I dropped her for Meta Knight. Meta Knight just generally felt better to me, so I began to main him.
I get what u mean, but Im starting to play in tournaments and stuff and I just don't think he can win. Also I like to use characters that I like outside of smash as well. Luckily for me Greninja is my favorite char and also my best. But idk I may just use meta knight for fun

DiggersBoy

Smash Apprentice
I get what u mean, but Im starting to play in tournaments and stuff and I just don't think he can win. Also I like to use characters that I like outside of smash as well. Luckily for me Greninja is my favorite char and also my best. But idk I may just use meta knight for fun
It's chill. But, my logic is that at a low-mid level of Smash (AKA not Melee Gods level), then you can do so much better than everyone else if you have better knowledge of your character, no matter who you're playing. Take RRR, for example. He's a really good Melee Kirby main, and can win against others purely because he knows the character (AKA matchups, combos, and general playstyle) better than everyone else. However, as you progress into the higher levels of skill in Smash, you have to try much harder than everybody else in order to compete, and you will hit your peak before the higher tiered characters. For example, Hax. Hax used to be a Falcon player: one of the best. However, he believes that his Falcon would not be able to compete with the Foxes and the Marths in the top tier, when everyone's skill level is almost equivalent. So, he switched to Fox. There are still some good mid-tiers that hit top ranks though *ahem Axe*, so it really depends. However, since you're not at the top ranks yet, you should be fine.

TL:DR: You're fine at low-mid level. But, if you're trying to hit top ranks, you have like a 50-50 chance.

MagiusNecros

Smash Master
I think understanding a character is fundamental for every character in the game basically knowing all their attacks, their properties, and what can counteract those properties(your flaws) and once you know that you are that much better off in a fight since you know what your weaknesses are. And with Meta Knight he may not have a projectile but he does have a LOT of tools to use and if you use them all you are going do wonderful things when you know what they are applied for.

Small Projectiles? Drill Rush.

Drill Rush shielded? Aim down and stage bounce either away or over your opponent. You are now spaced away.

Unfavorable Position? Teleport.

Large Projectiles? You got 6 Jumps!

Recovery? See above. Plus Shuttle Loop.

And he can do lots more. And play your cards right you probably won't even get hit that much even with your crap range.

I'm in agreement that MK is indeed a Top Tier character even with his nerfs. Maybe not the best of the best but he is still up there.

daedgaem

Smash Cadet
Dthrow into shuttle loop is more or less a safebet at almost any %.

However, I have been noticing some players have been able to DI out of the range quite early. I assume this is character related. Does anyone have any idea which characters this is restricted to?

ItoI6

Smash Journeyman
when i say dthrow shuttle loop works up to like 80% on midweights i am assuming they are diing, so if you cant get it up to then i just dont think youre being fast enough. The range is lowered a bit if youre high in rage though, like sometimes when im at 100+% dthrow to upsmash doesnt work even at 0% vs some characters. Shuttle loop can get punished on hit vs some character below like 20-30% so thats why you shouldnt just use it all the time before then too.

Last edited:

daedgaem

Smash Cadet
Thanks, appreciate it.

Edit: Actually no, I was right. Played around 40~ ish games against a fox in fox glory now. Pretty sure he was DI'ing correctly, since unless he made a mistake, he got knockbacked so hard it was literally impossible to follow up with a upb.

In other words, the only reliable kill move I had against fox didn't properly function. He seemed to DI the second hit of the shuttle loop as well, further making the move less valuable.

Fox hard counters meta knight for sure.

Last edited:

Narth

Plox
NNID
nathanrinkster
3DS FC
1736-2381-3285
Just looking over this thread, getting a lot of neat stuff to learn with my main! He's definitely a difficult character to use, but when used effectively he can wreck! Finding up-tilts useful but hard to approach with, any hints? They can combo into pretty neat stuff. It's a shame MK has no throws that send the opponent straight up...

Ulevo

Smash Master
Just looking over this thread, getting a lot of neat stuff to learn with my main! He's definitely a difficult character to use, but when used effectively he can wreck! Finding up-tilts useful but hard to approach with, any hints? They can combo into pretty neat stuff. It's a shame MK has no throws that send the opponent straight up...
You're approaching with up tilt?

I like to play Meta Knight on Battlefield just because he's so good at sharking with Uair, but it helps with his tilts also. I'm probably going to experiment later and see what moves can viably beat up tilt because I don't actually think there is any.

Narth

Plox
NNID
nathanrinkster
3DS FC
1736-2381-3285
You're approaching with up tilt?

I like to play Meta Knight on Battlefield just because he's so good at sharking with Uair, but it helps with his tilts also. I'm probably going to experiment later and see what moves can viably beat up tilt because I don't actually think there is any.
Yeah, Battlefield is probably MK's best stage. I'm gonna keep trying with up-tilts to see where I go, but I am finding it difficult to approach with him. Still a really fun character like.

EDIT - Finding the dair useful for gimping and just flinging people off to the side in general. Anyone else using it?

Last edited:

Opana

Smash Lord
NNID
PINKYz
3DS FC
0748-3814-1504
Is it known Drill Rush carries them out if you don't connect the last hit, and that after appearing out of the cape you can move for a brief moment in any direction?

Narth

Plox
NNID
nathanrinkster
3DS FC
1736-2381-3285
Is it known Drill Rush carries them out if you don't connect the last hit, and that after appearing out of the cape you can move for a brief moment in any direction?
I saw a thread of this not long ago, but it doesn't seem to be known very well. I couldn't pull it off very well when I tried it, any tips?

Opana

Smash Lord
NNID
PINKYz
3DS FC
0748-3814-1504
Try it in slowed down training

D

Deleted member 189823

Is Up-B OoS "a thing"? Especially for killing? That move feels really satisfying to land, and kills really well off the top. Zelda's Up-B OoS kills ridiculously well, I'm wondering if MK can do the same thing.

Opana

Smash Lord
NNID
PINKYz
3DS FC
0748-3814-1504
I usually attempt to juggle with mu!tiple Shuttle Loops via reads and frame traps. I likestarting this OoS or when I've hit them during recovery I'll ledgehop into another.

Toddsnegh

Smash Rookie
I've been playing smash Wii U since it's come out now and a friend I play with always plays as meta knight and constantly uses his forward-b (the torpedo kind of attack), what's the best way to punish this move? it's getting really annoying, pls halp.

rabbit.soaring

Smash Journeyman
NNID
rabbit.soaring
3DS FC
0130-2883-3067
I've been playing smash Wii U since it's come out now and a friend I play with always plays as meta knight and constantly uses his forward-b (the torpedo kind of attack), what's the best way to punish this move? it's getting really annoying, pls halp.
If you play Ness, I'd just shield it. Then grab for your swanky Dthrow>Fair>Fair. At high percent, just Bthrow for the kill. If all your friend is doing is spamming drill rush, you should be able to get away with sitting in your shield all match(on reaction).

Bonk!

Smash Journeyman
NNID
IPAVGSSB
3DS FC
2638-1531-9991
Is it possible to sweetspot shuttle loop in the air? I can never seem to do 15% with it and always end up doing 12%. If it is possible... How do I do it?

Bonk!

Smash Journeyman
NNID
IPAVGSSB
3DS FC
2638-1531-9991
Is Up-B OoS "a thing"? Especially for killing? That move feels really satisfying to land, and kills really well off the top. Zelda's Up-B OoS kills ridiculously well, I'm wondering if MK can do the same thing.
He absolutely can. In fact doing up b oos guarantees that you sweetspot it and will almost always kill at reasonable percent. Sorry for double post

Last edited:

Lavani

Indigo Destiny
Is it possible to sweetspot shuttle loop in the air? I can never seem to do 15% with it and always end up doing 12%. If it is possible... How do I do it?
There isn't a sweetspot. It just does 15% from the ground and 12% from the air.

Gemba Board

Smash Apprentice
Try to position yourself so that he needs to cancel the drill into the floor to avoid flying off map. He will bounce and stall backward. Hard punish that. But if you're standing mid-stage you need to move. MK gets too many vertical kills for you to be worried about horizontal positioning. If you must shield, be sure to hold it up during the entire drill or until it is floor canceled. Idk why people like to put down their shield prematurely against MK but don't be that guy.

busken

Smash Ace
Yeah, Battlefield is probably MK's best stage. I'm gonna keep trying with up-tilts to see where I go, but I am finding it difficult to approach with him. Still a really fun character like.

EDIT - Finding the dair useful for gimping and just flinging people off to the side in general. Anyone else using it?
What moves does dair out prioritize? Does it beat certain specials like Luigi's cyclone? Where does the hit send them?

Snailtopus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
JoeySnail
Is there an in-depth analysis of Dimensional Cape? I cant seem to grab edge with it (as in recovery) if that's still possible, and from what I understand there are multiple slashes he can do but I can only do the teleport w/o damage or the heavy turnaround slash.

Jay-kun

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Apple first~<3
So I will bring back an interesting question brought up earlier: Does Metaknight have any disjointed moves that out range Marth's? ~<3

Snailtopus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
JoeySnail
So I will bring back an interesting question brought up earlier: Does Metaknight have any disjointed moves that out range Marth's? ~<3
I imagine not, but if you get Marth above you, uptilt and uair aren't too bad since Marth's dair is pretty slow. If you're diagonally below him, though, he can fair or nair you away

Jay-kun

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Apple first~<3
I imagine not, but if you get Marth above you, uptilt and uair aren't too bad since Marth's dair is pretty slow. If you're diagonally below him, though, he can fair or nair you away
It does not matter if they are slow, because it requires patience to land a sweetspot as well

WingedKnight

Smash Ace
I've been practicing with multiple characters, getting a feel for who I'm most competent with in this game. MK is an old favorite and I've been practicing his various combos and watching videos, which has greatly improved my performance with him.

Very simple question, though: for the DThrow to UAir string to Up B, is it best to have Tap Jump on or off? I play with TJ off, and have no problem with following up DThrow with a Shuttle Loop at the right percentages, but it would be nice to add some UAirs in there to rack damage and bring them closer to the top blast lines. What's the most effective way of doing this cleanly and quickly?

busken

Smash Ace
I've been practicing with multiple characters, getting a feel for who I'm most competent with in this game. MK is an old favorite and I've been practicing his various combos and watching videos, which has greatly improved my performance with him.

Very simple question, though: for the DThrow to UAir string to Up B, is it best to have Tap Jump on or off? I play with TJ off, and have no problem with following up DThrow with a Shuttle Loop at the right percentages, but it would be nice to add some UAirs in there to rack damage and bring them closer to the top blast lines. What's the most effective way of doing this cleanly and quickly?
Having Tap Jump on or off won't effective your down throw combos. The benefit of tap jump is Up B OOS, which makes a solid kill option.

AmishTechnology

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KIMPHIE
Don't forget Up B out of dash.

I use Tap Jump off, currently on the Hori Battlepad and the control stick is too sensitive, very hard to do tilts or simple turn arounds/walking instead of dashing, etc. The shoulder buttons are great though because they're not analog.

Since I have Tap Jump off, I bound the X button to B moves as well, so to U-Smash out of shield I press L + Up on stick + Y->A, Up-B OoS is L + Up on stick + Y->X, Up-B out of dash is Dash -> Up on Stick + Y->B.

But yeah, I too would like to know what you guys use. TJ on/off?

Last edited:

SSBSteve

Smash Rookie
Hows to deal with defensive/campy characters who rely on punishing?

Its the one type of play style I absolutely hate going against. Obviously I could wait for them to approach but they usually have projectiles and If I do go in for the attack would shield and attack. Its like all characters have more reach then Meta Knight. Heh.

It might just be my aggressive style of play, but it just gets overwhelmingly boring and the match becomes a chore.
I apologies if this has been asked before.

Rehnquist

Smash Apprentice
Hows to deal with defensive/campy characters who rely on punishing?

Its the one type of play style I absolutely hate going against. Obviously I could wait for them to approach but they usually have projectiles and If I do go in for the attack would shield and attack. Its like all characters have more reach then Meta Knight. Heh.

It might just be my aggressive style of play, but it just gets overwhelmingly boring and the match becomes a chore.
I apologies if this has been asked before.

Dash grabs (ground approach) and Dair + fast fall nados (aerial approach) beat out simple shielding. Fast fall nado is a guilty pleasure of mine as its extremely effective on the people who participate in For Glory matches.

Late Dash attacks usually put enough space between fighters to prevent an immediate punish (not always though, mixing it up from your grabs is good though)

Drills can punish rolls and small projectiles

Dash grabs beat out shielding, in response you enemies will try one or two things

1) They can try and stuff the attack, (so you can bait out an attack)

2) They can roll/dodge, (which can be drilled or set up upon)

Its then about finding the pattern and setting up on the next attack.

Sodo

Smash Journeyman
I've been playing around with MK in FG, and I have a question. His dash grab and Dthrow are pretty good, but I can never get any follow ups on opponents. I'll occasionally get an aerial but it's so inconsistent and the landing lag leaves me open to so many options for the enemy. Obviously this is just me not being very good but I'm wondering if there's any advice you have for predicting an opponent's movements after Dthrow.

SSBSteve

Smash Rookie
Dash grabs (ground approach) and Dair + fast fall nados (aerial approach) beat out simple shielding. Fast fall nado is a guilty pleasure of mine as its extremely effective on the people who participate in For Glory matches.

Late Dash attacks usually put enough space between fighters to prevent an immediate punish (not always though, mixing it up from your grabs is good though)

Drills can punish rolls and small projectiles

Dash grabs beat out shielding, in response you enemies will try one or two things

1) They can try and stuff the attack, (so you can bait out an attack)

2) They can roll/dodge, (which can be drilled or set up upon)

Its then about finding the pattern and setting up on the next attack.
Thanks for the reply, I can say that I do most of what you said there. I will try out the Late Dash and Fast Fall nados. :)

One thing I do try for on overally shielding players is:

Dash attack > turn around > F-Tilt

MK's dash moves forward enough to go behind the enemy.

Rehnquist

Smash Apprentice
I've been playing around with MK in FG, and I have a question. His dash grab and Dthrow are pretty good, but I can never get any follow ups on opponents. I'll occasionally get an aerial but it's so inconsistent and the landing lag leaves me open to so many options for the enemy. Obviously this is just me not being very good but I'm wondering if there's any advice you have for predicting an opponent's movements after Dthrow.
I'm sure there is someone here who has more specifics and knowledge but in regards to D-Throws this is what I do.

For lower %'s
D-Throw + SH Nair
D-Throw + Dash Attack +Up smash (this one only against heavies or those below 15%
D-Throw + Nado (this one is situational)

For mid %
D-Throw + Uairs + Shuttle Loop.

In the higher %, like around 80-100%+, D-Throw loses its combo value thus F-throw or D-tilt are better combo starters.

As singular moves, Tornado kills at around 120-150%, and upthrow kills at around 145-190%, and Shuttle Loop and cape kills at around 90-130.

Triburos

Smash Cadet
Hey folks!

I have various issues that I'd love to get help with, and if others could point out any issues I'm not seeing, that'd be great too. I'm very much an online warrior at the moment, so this is my first stop at getting some direct advice.

My first problem is that I tend to let my opponent's movements dictate my own.

As an example, say I have someone rolling alot. For some reason, this entices me to start rolling alot myself, as I feel like I have to. Is this okay, or do I need to not take after my opponent?

My second issue is my lack of Neutral B and Side B usage, mostly Neutral B though.

I know alot of people rave Neutral B for a variety of reasons, but I gotta be honest; I'm scared to use it. But I KNOW it's a good tool, I just can't condition myself to use it more often. But the threat of people shielding it is just too great and it causes me to just ignore the tool. Anyways to make it harder to punish?

There's a few other things like my lack of set-ups into UAir strings, which honestly I have no excuse for. I know how to do them, I know they exist, but For Glory has conditioned me to use the easiest follow-ups rather than more effective ones due to input delay. I just need to break that habit.

Rehnquist

Smash Apprentice
My first problem is that I tend to let my opponent's movements dictate my own.

As an example, say I have someone rolling alot. For some reason, this entices me to start rolling alot myself, as I feel like I have to. Is this okay, or do I need to not take after my opponent?
I know exactly what you are talking about, its very common actually, rolls "feel" safe, but if the person is of moderate or higher skill they can punish it because each roll has a set distance and end lag that can't be modified. Someone who rolls too much can be set up upon. So without any video of you, all I can really say is make sure your rolls have a purpose. If they are not avoiding a real attack or confusing your opponents, then rolling is hurting your game. Record matches and evaluate yourself, that helps a bit. I would also say don't rely on rolls exclusively, add in power shields and spot dodges into your gameplay if you don't already, I have found that excessive rolling is mainly due to the lack of familiarity with other defensive options.

It can be stressful to add this into your game play online if you care about KDR (which most of us do to some degree), so either practice with your offline friends, or if need be create a throw away wii u account where you can practice new things without having to worry about kdr. Its easier to learn offline than online due to lag.

My second issue is my lack of Neutral B and Side B usage, mostly Neutral B though.

I know alot of people rave Neutral B for a variety of reasons, but I gotta be honest; I'm scared to use it. But I KNOW it's a good tool, I just can't condition myself to use it more often. But the threat of people shielding it is just too great and it causes me to just ignore the tool. Anyways to make it harder to punish?
Nado is really good against a shielding opponent, if you Dair + fast fall nado on a shielded opponent, the sheer length of time of nado plus the little hits means that you will poke them out of shield, even at full strength. If you don't fast fall on nado you will rise too high which will get you punished, so its just a matter of practicing.

Also speaking about unsafe rolling, if I am predicting my opponent is going to roll a certain direction, I jump to the spot where I think he is going to roll and throw out a nado, the fast hits usually pick them up before they can react.

If you whiff a tornado, you can move around (zig zag) to throw people off. The move autocancels at about one and a quarter full jump's height, so you can move out of it really fast, you can also land on platforms or skid off platforms to avoid a punish as well.

There's a few other things like my lack of set-ups into UAir strings, which honestly I have no excuse for. I know how to do them, I know they exist, but For Glory has conditioned me to use the easiest follow-ups rather than more effective ones due to input delay. I just need to break that habit.
For Glory can be intense (was the case when I first playing on the 3ds), and during those moments we fall back to what we are comfortable with. Again practice with offline friends, practice mode, or on a new user account if you need to, because it really is just simply doing it, making errors, and eventually getting comfortable with it. Your game won't change if you don't experiment.

edit

I don't have recording software yet, so I can't display what I am typing, but I'm sure there are online matches where you can observe some of these things.

Last edited:

Triburos

Smash Cadet
Cheers for the advice, especially with the Nado. I've always been trying to catch rolls with Dsmash, but now that you mention it, Nado seems great for preventing roll abuse.

I personally don't care about my FG statistics because they don't dictate anything. If it served a purpose of like say... Pairing me with players of equal skill, then I would care. But I don't at the moment. I'll even SD if a match is too laggy and just move on :)

I did record a few FG matches, but I need to upload and look over matches that I lose rather than ones I win. It's a habit of mine to blaze past result screens if I lose to get back into the action. Still new to the Smashboards, so I can't post links though yet :].

Sodo

Smash Journeyman
I have encountered another problem. I can't hit Uairs. For the life of me, it seems like I either whiff entirely or my opponents air dodge every single time. MK's reach is so short, I feel like Uair is a great tool but it's so unlikely to hit for me that it becomes next to useless.

Rehnquist

Smash Apprentice
I have encountered another problem. I can't hit Uairs. For the life of me, it seems like I either whiff entirely or my opponents air dodge every single time. MK's reach is so short, I feel like Uair is a great tool but it's so unlikely to hit for me that it becomes next to useless.
The spacing part is just something you get used to, you can use small inputs of fast fall and jumps to maintain the appropriate spacing in you need to. MK is more of a disjointed brawler than a traditional swordsman. Beyond just practicing the move in a controlled environment, I don't know what advice for this beyond just to view his Uair in a similar manner as you would view Luigi's Uair. This move took me away to get used to (bad animations in 1.0.3 didn't help), but its something that can be conditioned.

Uair strings only occur at lower %'s and are easily set up with D-throws or dash attacks. Now strings aren't the only thing Uairs are good for as they keep the enemy in the air, which we have loads of options at that point, Usmash or U-tilt if you break off the chase, SL (shuttle loop) as a follow up, or Uair to reset the situation. So knowing when to back off from Uairs is important or else the game resets back to neutral.

If your Uairs are getting air dodged, it means you are getting predictable, which is understandable because Uair is fast and has short range. What you do for this is use the threat of Uair (or SL) to bait out an air dodge and punish (nado or SL).

Top Bottom