• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Meta Knight Officially Banned!

Status
Not open for further replies.

John12346

Smash Master
NNID
JohnNumbers
Yeah, basically I'm gonna be switching the priorities on my charts in 2012. You know how I have all kinds of in depth data on MK Legal tournaments, such as yearly winnings, cumulative successes, character breakdowns, etc., where I have just one chart on MK Banned tournaments?

Come 2012, I'm going to do a full reset on all of my data, and then give MK Banned tournaments the attention and detail that I'm currently giving MK Legal tournaments, and vice versa.

NNID
Budget_Player
i think, that no matter how centralised the game gets, without mk you are never going to see 1 character playing out dittos in losers, winners and grand finals for singles AND doubles the way it was with MK.
Can't speak for doubles, but I can see it being that way if Nairo, Anti, and Ally all picked up Falco... If the character choices of the former two don't change, I expect at least one or two finals match of every tournament they attend to be Falco dittos within a fairly short amount of time. Just sayin'.

Tanon

Smash Rookie
Can't speak for doubles, but I can see it being that way if Nairo, Anti, and Ally all picked up Falco... If the character choices of the former two don't change, I expect at least one or two finals match of every tournament they attend to be Falco dittos within a fairly short amount of time. Just sayin'.
But then if falco appears more often, then at least people can start coming up with decent counters to him, as opposed to just resorting to the ditto matchup.

In my opinion, the TO's are perfectly within their rights to ban MK. In the end, it's their tournament, and they must have realised that MK was winning way too many tournaments. Add to that the fact that most of the community has been calling for it, and the fact that Project M nerfed MK, and it's kinda easy to see why he's banned.

New Tier List's gonna be interesting... Jiggs, Peach, Ike, G&W jump anybody? And Sonic's probably going to drop.

NNID
Budget_Player
and the fact that Project M nerfed MK, and it's kinda easy to see why he's banned.
I'd just like to point out that Brawl- and Brawl+ also nerfed certain aspects of MK's gameplay. The reason for this is that some things, like MK's uair, dair, or fair, simply break themselves in half with raised hitstun or gravity. Like, 4x dair->footstool gimps, or 100% guaranteed M2K combos. Stupid **** like that.

New Tier List's gonna be interesting... Jiggs, Peach, Ike, G&W jump anybody? And Sonic's probably going to drop.
Jiggs and G&W both struggle way harder against Snake than against MK; I think G&W will actually be less viable with MK banned. Peach and Ike maybe.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
Except for the fact that everyone hates falco dittos. If nairo played falco then anti would probably play diddy or something against him and and if anti played falco, ally might go wario or ics against him. Which in turn might cause nairo to bust out his dk. The three of them combined play like 10 characters altogether so the idea that all 3 of them would resort to falco only is kind of rediculous

Edit.
Ive said it before and ill say it again. Ike and tink are definitely the characters with the most to gain from mk getting banned

:phone:

melee43vr

Smash Rookie
i play low tier and im not for banning mk. i have a solution to all of your problems... just play melee

melee43vr

Smash Rookie
defensive because melee has more movements options (wavedash, moonwalk) which allow you the oppurtunity to draw out attacks from your foe and when they miss you can punish. and since so many "low tier" chars have better than average wavedashes it makes them more viable . but it also allows you to be more offensive as well and makes combos that wouldnt normally be possible a reality

Isatis

If specified, this will repl[0x00000000]ce the
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
reverite
or, we can stop with the whole Melee thing since it's not relevant to the topic at hand.

Ghostbone

Smash Master
Except for the fact that everyone hates falco dittos. If nairo played falco then anti would probably play diddy or something against him and and if anti played falco, ally might go wario or ics against him. Which in turn might cause nairo to bust out his dk. The three of them combined play like 10 characters altogether so the idea that all 3 of them would resort to falco only is kind of rediculous
Doesn't Anti play Pikachu as well?

I agree, I highly doubt we'll ever see more than like 2 games of Falco dittos in GF.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Especially since most counter Metaknight... with a Metaknight. This doesn't happen very often with any other character, as no one is nearly as close to as powerful as him. So it's not a needed counterpick like he is.

Anyway, there's not much more to say than the random person that says they're happy.

Or repeating why we banned him. But eh.

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
defensive because melee has more movements options (wavedash, moonwalk) which allow you the oppurtunity to draw out attacks from your foe and when they miss you can punish. and since so many "low tier" chars have better than average wavedashes it makes them more viable . but it also allows you to be more offensive as well and makes combos that wouldnt normally be possible a reality
Its cute when Melee noobs think that Moonwalking is actually an important/useful technique.

melee43vr

Smash Rookie
Ussi im sorry but you must have downs syndrome or you have never played melee. ask anyone melee is a billion times more offensive than brawl. if you look at the top tier characters from early mlg to now you will have noticed how much faster and more aggressive the play has gotten. low tiers must play smarter and yes more defensivly to fend off the flurry of attacks that are unleashed on them.. L-canceling is a mechanicthat helps make this OFFENSIVE play style possible as well as wavedashing. brawl is all defense

grim go **** yourself you obviously cant do it or youd realize it has a use and if you cant see that then you can join ussi in his home for *******.

melee43vr

Smash Rookie
bionic im sorry i got so worked up. i respect you as a player of brawl and what you do for both the game and the community overall.

i feel that if you even have to bring up a debate about whether a character in the game needs to be banned then that questions the integrity of the game itself.

for those low-midtier players who complain about losing to MK and want him banned i say you arent working hard enough to counter it. picking that type of character means you have to fight an uphill battle but its possible to win. for those who are top tier plays and are saying that low tier sucks and shouldnt be played by anyone i say you are lazy *******s who need to learn more than one character or at least respect the other characters and those who chose to play them.. in any smash game pro players should be able to play more than one character so as to effectivly be able to counter pick your opponents character choice as well as level choice.

if you think MK is the counter to all then pick him. or if your sick of seeing MK dittoes either work harder with your other characters and change what it is your doing, or play melee.

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
I think someone forgot to get their parent's permission before getting on the internet.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
Ussi im sorry but you must have downs syndrome or you have never played melee. ask anyone melee is a billion times more offensive than brawl. if you look at the top tier characters from early mlg to now you will have noticed how much faster and more aggressive the play has gotten. low tiers must play smarter and yes more defensivly to fend off the flurry of attacks that are unleashed on them.. L-canceling is a mechanicthat helps make this OFFENSIVE play style possible as well as wavedashing. brawl is all defense

grim go **** yourself you obviously cant do it or youd realize it has a use and if you cant see that then you can join ussi in his home for *******.
All i said was that melee is defense oriented just like brawl. I didn't say compare melee to brawl, silly.

juankmlo

Smash Rookie
Well nobody is talking bout the ban thread anymore XD but conclusions

MK is banned in america cause they have serious issues with him (even in colombia we had too and banned him before smashboards (not to be specifically proud)), but in most of the rest of the world he has not been big trouble for GOD KNOWS WHY, but we do.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
We have a different metagame than the rest of the world. It makes sense they wouldn't have a problem like we do because of that alone.

And I do believe a few parts of the UK also banned MK. I forgot who it was, though. Could somebody cite that?

To say the least, he might be weaker overall on the UK and JP versions, really. Remember, small game changes are made amongst the versions.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8twwXHDIVBc
im sorry what? running away and throwing stuff is offensive?

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
@Smooth Criminal: If you think all three versions are exactly the same, you're wrong. We Americans didn't get all the same options as the Japanese. Now, I'm not sure what other gameplay differences there are, but they're not the same game exactly.

Although apparently the gameplay is, so eh. But it's still a fact that our metagames are different. That's why MK is banned here and Canada, and not in other countries. But yeah.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I already said that, Grim Tuesday. Hence my edit.

To be fair, who wouldn't wonder if they were different due to how MK is only majorly dominating in one region or not. It's not a bad guess for anyone who hasn't done the research.

But anyway.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
We don't have the same language options as the Japanese versions, Grim. Also, they have more Masterpieces than we do.

My statement was completely true.

Now, competitive options, completely same. I was speaking of the game as a whole.

Ghostbone

Smash Master
@Smooth Criminal: If you think all three versions are exactly the same, you're wrong. We Americans didn't get all the same options as the Japanese. Now, I'm not sure what other gameplay differences there are, but they're not the same game exactly.
I mean, besides the languages.....yea you did get the same options.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I mean, besides the languages.....yea you did get the same options.
And Masterpieces. Sorry for not specifying. But yeah, they're only the same games competitively. (although to be fair, I wouldn't say gameplay-wise, since you can play as two more games in BrawlJP. Heh.)

Moving on, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom