• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Meta Knight Officially Banned!

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Meta Knight will be officially banned on January 9th, 2012. Until that date, Meta Knight will be optionally banned in Unity Ruleset 2.0.

The Unity Ruleset Committee has come to a majority agreement to ban Meta Knight by a vote of 14-0 with 1 abstaining. In order too ease into this decision and respect the largest Smash tournament on the horizon, the ban will be optional until after Apex 2012. Therefore, on January 9th, it will no longer be optional and all Unity Ruleset events will be Meta Knight banned. Until that time, users may use the Unity Ruleset 2.0 in either form: Meta Knight Banned or Meta Knight Allowed.

This was not a decision made lightly. This is a topic that has dominated the community for many years and far too long. The URC has taken into account many things, among them: community polls on Smashboards and AllisBrawl over the last 2 years, discussions with some of the top players and minds in the community, and most of all, user created data/charts that have kept tabs on the prevalence of Meta Knight at the over 500 tournaments held yearly. It is important to note that each member of the URC who voted had their own reasons, so any number of factors may have influenced their decision. We hope this will begin a new era in the Brawl community, and while we are sure this decision will cause controversy and discussion, we also feel it will ultimately be for the best for the community in the coming years.

Please note: This ban affects tournaments in the US and Canada - as that is the scope of the Unity Ruleset Committee. In addition, this ban is for both Singles and Doubles play.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
MK ban, it's about time :D
Time to see some more diversity in the game.
Also interesting to see what M2K is going to do.

Laem

Smash Champion
1st pager?!

Ima add some content tho
Im EU
this MK ban is reasonable.
14-0 is fishy.
Stuff and things
we out.

Doc King

Smash Lord
Nice to see mk banned from tourneys now. Now there will be more diversity in Brawl now!

Edit: Aw man, I wanted to be the 1st poster :(

Well, at least I'm the 3rd one :)

DeLux

Player that used to be Lux
It should be noted for the write up that the Unity Ruleset Committee is 17 members. There were 14 members in the majority opinion towards banning Metaknight. There were 0 members in the dissenting opinion towards Banning Metaknight. There was one conscientious abstention. There were two abstention by inactivity.

We did due diligence on the manner including pulling influence from: a variety to statistical analyses, expert testimony, discussion in this very thread, previous tournament organizing experience, and other sources of information. In fact, the level of scrutiny the URC used in coming to this decision was easily the most stringent of any decision we've made thus far.

While we realize some may not be happy with the decisions we make on a global ruleset level, we continue to strive to make the Unity Ruleset worthy of widespread use across the entire community in the hopes that one day all tournaments are run under a uniform ruleset.

D

Deleted member

I'm really proud of the URC for going through with this, doing what the BBR never could.

Great job, guys!!

-Jumpman-

Smash Champion
Lawl, p glad to be in europe atm. I know some consider MK to be unfair, but this is absolutely ridiculous

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
I'm fine with it considering 75% of the userbase clamored for it.

No use shutting up a majority of the community for your own biased opinions.

stingers

Smash Obsessed
Pros: MK is banned
Cons: Usage rates of other high tiers will rise by a LOT

This will probably lead to a change in the viability of a lot of characters...and we might even end up going the melee route where even less mid-tiers are played then they currently are. Something to think about, this actually might end up harming character diversity =]

Masky

Smash Master
Questions to the URC: Is anyone from the URC going to give some reasoning as to this decision (did you deem he was broken? purely to make some players happy?)? What gives the URC the power to ban a character?

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
I see BPC is still as juvenile as ever.

Calling anyone and everyone who doesn't agree with his obviously only acceptable opinions a scrub.

Exce L

Smash Apprentice
Questions to the URC: Is anyone from the URC going to give some reasoning as to this decision (did you deem he was broken? purely to make some players happy?)? What gives the URC the power to ban a character?
have you been under a rock for like 4 months?

Alex Strife

Smash Hero
Why do I feel like nothing will really change xD I think there will just be more high tiers but thats it.

Flayl

Smash Hero
I can answer the latter one: They're actual TOs lol

I'm really curious to see Europe's results at Apex now. I think all 3 parties involved (USA, Europe, Japan) are in for a surprise.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
let's go BBR tier list with no MK.

inb4marth#1

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
Different high tiers will lead to different mid tier counters will lead to pickles and cream cheese on your sandwiches.

Get ready guys.

Doc King

Smash Lord
imo, D3, Peach, and Ike could make a big jump in the metagame with mk gone. MK has destroyed them a lot.

HYPE!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom