• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Data Meta Knight Hitbox Visualization

Furil

Smash Apprentice
Smash 4 hitboxes are interpolated, so imagine a line between a hitbox's current position and it's last. It hits that area too.
Example: http://i.imgur.com/wEBKNpI.gif
You'll notice that meta knight has trail-like hitboxes.
This is because he swings his sword so fast, that the move would miss with interpolation on the blade.

There are potentially bugs in any of these, so let me know if you notice anything particuarly off and I'll check. There have been instances of weird hitboxes that ended up being a bug.
Meta-knight has some long code for most attacks, so that could leave room for error anywhere here.

Those little purple dots indicate that that hitbox is defensive. I don't really know exactly what that means. Extended ones will only have the dot side the first point.

Meta-knights jab has a bug right now, so I'll get it later.

Mini-FAQ:
Q: How did you make these?
A: I made a parser for animcmd commands and applied it to the model and animation.

Q: Can you do hurtboxes?
A: Not yet

Q: These don't look like the quality of the wii u models, why?
A: These are 3DS models (and data). There isn't a difference in frame data between Wii U and 3DS.

Q: This attack looks wrong, is this actually correct?
A: Let me know which one and I'll check. It's possible for a bug or two to mess up stuff.

Q: The image isn't playing.
A: There are play, reverse, and frame advance buttons under the images. They may be hard to see.

Thank you

Last edited:

iVoltage

$5.99 Abuser
On some of the hit boxes there are purple circles like on upair for example. What do those mean?

***Found in op -_-

Last edited:

Jamurai

Victory is my destiny
NNID
Jamurai92
Great work, thank you.

Initial observations: lol dash attack. Dtilt is unfortunate. Pivot grab data is great, you can see it is disjointed by almost exactly one Meta Knight glove-length.

For Shuttle Loop's first hit, I assume the higher hitbox sends them upwards, while the lower hitbox "locks" them in place?

*@Katakiri sticky?

Last edited:

Ulevo

Smash Master
There needs to be a visual for an aerial and grounded Shuttle Loop. Also, is forward smash correct? It seems smaller than it should vertically.

Furil

Smash Apprentice
Usually there are only problems with location/timing.
The size on F-smash should be right, and it's not attached to a bone, so position should be fine too.
If someone can double check in-game, that would be nice.

I'll add the aerial shuttle loop real fast.

Last edited:

Magnemite

Smash Cadet
any chance we could get dimensional cape? the attack hits from farther away than you'd think sometimes so it would be nice to see.

Tetra-76

Smash Cadet
NNID
Tetra-flo
3DS FC
5129-4481-5064
How times have changed...

I know MK is really good anyway, but it still makes me sad that so many of his hitboxes are so much smaller than the actual sword. Some of his attacks look really ridiculous that way.

Last edited:

WingGT

Smash Rookie
NNID
earthaquiladu79
3DS FC
3480-3722-1850
Thanks you guys for doing this , for some reason , Pikachu can't get upsmashed in his idle animation :
Is it me or it's the hitbox ?

Jeronado

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Jeronado
3DS FC
0920-1020-8081
Yes I was waiting for when it was Meta Knight's turn! Thank you so much!

I knew Dash Attack had 3 hitboxes. I did not know that they were all out at the same time... or that it was that disjointed.

Last edited:

InstantMessenger

Smash Rookie
NNID
InstantMessenger
It looks like the Defensive hitboxes might be hits that pull enemies in, seeing as they show up mostly in Meta Knight's multihit moves. Thoughts?

Amadeus9

Smash Ace
NNID
Amadeuswololo
Hey here's a concern

Can we get hitbox data on secondary throw hitboxes? Like, uthrow, bthrow, fthrow... Kinda important for rosa mu + doubles

eclipsis17

Smash Cadet
Thank you so much for this! Anyone know which hitbox on SL is the sweetspot launcher? DA is as ridiculous as we thought it was and knowing for sure now that Dair doesn't have more range behind MK will definitely be useful. Let's get this stickied asap

Xandercosm

Smash Lord
NNID
vineto
Amazing! This is so useful!

I'm not sure exactly why D-tilt doesn't hit at the tip. That, dash attack, though. That thing is insane. He has some pretty great hitboxes, for sure.

Lavani

Indigo Destiny
Just a reminder that model stretch (i.e. MK dash attack) isn't shown in these animations, which makes some moves look more disjointed than they are:

It's still good, just not that good.

Last edited:

moofpi

Smash Journeyman
NNID
moofpi
3DS FC
0473-8866-3506
Mach Tornado is missing from the spoiler, I was pretty interested in that one. Is it just a placeholder for when MT gets added or was it accidentally left out?

Kaffei

Smash Hero
How times have changed...

I know MK is really good anyway, but it still makes me sad that so many of his hitboxes are so much smaller than the actual sword. Some of his attacks look really ridiculous that way.

Not just that but Smash 4 dair is out for only ONE frame... What the hell

Jiom

Smash Journeyman
Anyone have the visual for his tornado? seems to be missing

Twisted Jokerr

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4442-1237-4201
How does fsmash hit under the ledge if the hitbox is that small? It seems inaccurate tbqh.

Jamurai

Victory is my destiny
NNID
Jamurai92
You can see there is a portion of the hitbox which hits lower (and higher) than the rest of it near to MK.

If you space it so the bottom of the circular bit overlaps with the ledge, that's when it catches people.

Twisted Jokerr

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4442-1237-4201
So characters without hitboxes on their recovery, (Rosa, Greninja, Duck Hunt, Olimar, ect.) can be two frames easier? Is it possible to lab which characters get two framed easier than the rest?

Locke 06

Sayonara, bye bye~
NNID
tl.206
Hi, which hitbox of up air has the different angle (52° as opposed to 69°)?

Ty

Locke 06

Sayonara, bye bye~
NNID
tl.206
Dunno if you've found this out already, but I believe it is the back hitbox.
Ew. Just looked at it. I don't really understand the design choice. The only thing I can think of in terms of use is as a combo ender horizontally after you've been carrying them with up airs you do a turnaround up air when NAir wouldn't hit. I feel like it is so obscure I've never actually seen anyone get hit by it.

Anyway, thanks for the info.

Jamurai

Victory is my destiny
NNID
Jamurai92
Ew. Just looked at it. I don't really understand the design choice. The only thing I can think of in terms of use is as a combo ender horizontally after you've been carrying them with up airs you do a turnaround up air when NAir wouldn't hit. I feel like it is so obscure I've never actually seen anyone get hit by it.

Anyway, thanks for the info.
It is a bit weird. Only notable thing I've seen about it is Ito turning around mid-air near the end of his 0-death on Trevonte a few months ago to get him in a nice position for the up-B finish.

MERPIS

Smash Lord
NNID
Catboog
Is MK's uair hitbox actually THAT terrible?! Jesus H just fix his hitboxes. 1.1.7 hitboxes, fix.
Also Fair auto cancel

YELLO

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kyuuketsukou
3DS FC
2509-3654-5979
pretty horrendous design IMO, nintendo just doesnt care anymore I guess

Top Bottom