• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Meta Knight Banned?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MetaKnightXIII

Smash Rookie
I just got brawl, and I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on why Meta Knight is Banned from tournaments. I did some research and found some tidbits on why but they didn't make any sense to me.

I read that there is a video where someone playing as Meta Knight jumped off the edge of the map and came up the other side, this is an example of his survivability, but Kirby and Jigglypuff can do that too. Anyone with more than two jumps can I think.

I also read that you can hurl him way away from the map and he can always come back, first I want to learn how that works because I always blow up. But when I play as others such as Link I can recover from way out there.

Apparantely he was also banned for his speed, what about Sonic? Isn't he incredibly fast as well?

I personally think they made Meta Knight like this so he stood a chance, small characters fly farther, it is simply that. His attacks are not quite as powerful as others make it out to be, Link, Ike, heck almost everyone else has more powerful regular attacks than Meta Knight. Sure his combos are more powerful, but who churns out constant combos?

Thank you for any info because he's one of my favorites, and I thought a tourney or two would be fun with him. I figured I would post this here as the posters would know a thing or two.

| Big D |

Smash Master
Metaknight is banned for several reasons.

If you had done your research properly you would have know this. The cold hard truth is Meta Knight is the bane of brawl. It was back in 2009 where the community finally had enough and decided to act. This wasn't easy as the amount of MK players were double that of non MK players. But one day the problem had been dealt with. I'm unsure of the details but I do know that it took the word of sponsors to influence this decision. I'll list some of the endless problems with this character. Some of this you may already know, but it helps to vivify the scenario.

1. His final smash can every player on screen by only getting one character caught. This means it's unavoidable and nothing can be done about it.

2. His down B allows for travel in any direction what so ever while being invisible and invincible. No other character in the game can do that and is impossible to get around if the MK does it right.

3. His jab never ends. Nothing can get past it and it combos into itself. Now there are other moves like this but only MK's and Pikachu's does it with out initial knockback.

4. Drill rush is impossible to punish. It can not be shield grabbed and it just passes right through you afterwards.

5. Nintendo demanded that he be banned. They say that Satoru Iwata and Shigeru Miyamoto had a long meeting on this controversial subject. Not much has been released from this, but we do know how it ended.
Sakurai: (laughs)

6. Upthrow. Now sometimes when you upthrow, you hit the invisible ceiling at the top and it's an instant KO. This rarely happens but we can't risk this happening in tournament.

7. He does not run, he glides while on the ground. Meaning he can shield in the air. Broken

8. His recovery. Now when he glides, every time you glide downwards, he can go that same distance plus some on the way back up. Meaning he has an infinite recovery.

9. Nado is invincible. Nothing can go through it. It combos into itself and it cannot be shielded. If you see otherwise the MK is not doing it right. The cpus you face are not as capable as a human.

I realize that all of this might be new to you considering you just got this game. I'm impressed that you did your research but without being a veteran like myself, someone like you could never understand.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Meta Knight isn't actually banned unless you're in a location where most or all of the players are bad.

TSM ZeRo

Banned via Administration
Meta Knight is only banned in: Colombia and SOME parts of the USA/Canada.

Japan, Europe, 80% of Latin America have him legal completely.

However, he is still legal in most tournaments, like Apex (the World Championship, for example) It is more common to see him banned in doubles nowadays.

The reasons behind the ban, are: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=311729&

Please take note that "the ban" (that no longer applies), was merely the URC -Unity Ruleset Commitee- banning him under the tournaments using their ruleset. It wasn't a "community" ban.

Then other areas/states started to follow it/like/test it, and some of them stuck with it. Other states decided to start using it way before this, like Texas (mainly because Xyro despises MK).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom