• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Meta Knight AT: Gliding over the Edge

Kimidori

Smash Apprentice
Hello! I'm Kimidori and once again I'm going to tell you how to perform another new Meta Knight advanced technique! This one is just as useful as the last one (Buffering Forward tilts, you can search for it in the Brawl Character Discussion section), but it's a little easier, and takes less than an hour to master! I'm writing this because, once again, there are no known guides on it (in English, at least) that I have found that contain this information. I found that it is possible by seeing the Japanese Meta Knight main Kakera do it multiple times. This is not only possible with MK, however, you can also do it with Charizard or Pit's glides. Sorry if I don't explain it very well XD

What is this technique you ask? Well, this technique allows you to glide with Meta Knight over any ledge without grabbing it! That's right! You can just glide right over the ledge while going up! Not only is this good for mindgames, but you can use it to get to your opponent faster.

Before I explain this technique, here is an example so you're not completely lost: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08rIiwOJjtE&feature=player_detailpage#t=1237s
Notice as Kakera (White MK) glides straight at the edge and doesn't grab it, and doesn't even have to hold down to go over it (at about 20:38).

How to:

Now, this is actually a very simple technique. All you actually have to do is, start a glide, glide down a bit so you can go up, and then, instead of holding up on the control stick to glide upwards, tilt and hold the control stick diagonally down and in the opposite direction of which you're gliding (If you are gliding towards the left ledge, tilt and hold your control stick diagonally down and left, and if you are gliding towards the right ledge, tilt and hold your control stick diagonally down and right).
If done correctly, you should glide right up at the ledge and over without grabbing it! It doesn't take too much practice, all you need to know is the angle of which you are pointing your control stick as you glide up.

Good luck!

TSM ZeRo

Banned via Administration
I will try to learn this but i will probably fail.
I failed at this for like a week.

Then "magically" (practiced it over, and over and over should say) got it down at the tounament I went to this weekend.

Don't have that mentality. Anyone can do it.

Exdeath

Smash Master
Is there a spacing for this? I've been auto-snapping to the ledge despite holding what should -- in principle -- be gliding past the ledge.

Kimidori

Smash Apprentice
Is there a spacing for this? I've been auto-snapping to the ledge despite holding what should -- in principle -- be gliding past the ledge.
No specific spacing, just keep gliding up with down/backwards control stick position

AKA :stick1: or :stick3: I find gliding towards the left edge easier, but that's just me XD

Exdeath

Smash Master
I understood the input just fine, however I'm still grabbing the ledge and it occurred to me while typing this that it might not actually be auto-snapping, but that I'm actually touching the ledge and grabbing it.

Kimidori

Smash Apprentice
I understood the input just fine, however I'm still grabbing the ledge and it occurred to me while typing this that it might not actually be auto-snapping, but that I'm actually touching the ledge and grabbing it.
You're holding the control stick down, right?

Kimidori

Smash Apprentice
Away from the ledge and down.
No, I mean you're holding it in place (away from the ledge and down) while you pass the ledge.

Whatever is happening, just keep trying until you find the correct control stick angle for both directions and when you find it, keep doing it and put it into your muscle memory.

TSM ZeRo

Banned via Administration
You have to hold down, while still pressing away the moment you touch the ledge, that way you still keep going up while not grabbing the ledge.

Joaco

Triforce of Wisdom
NNID
JoacoRyu8
Nice thing, I'll try it. Thanks for the guide!

Top Bottom