• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Meta Knight 3 stronk 5 me

Name1201

Smash Rookie
Imma be honest im getting bodied by this chracter rn and trying to learn the match up can we start a thread on whats punishable/whiff punishable, weakness etc on meta knight in this game

Name1201

Smash Rookie
Simply look up Meta Knight’s frame data.
I did on kurogane hammer lol (ive been grinding that match up out hard long before this post) his info aint up yet sadly and punishing his moves are a ***** espcially when its unclear on how safe they r, from what distance etc thx tho for the reply do u do this mu often???

Last edited:

Orlando BCN

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-0933-8407-0408
I did on kurogane hammer lol (ive been grinding that match up out hard long before this post) his info aint up yet sadly and punishing his moves are a ***** espcially when its unclear on how safe they r, from what distance etc thx tho for the reply do u do this mu often???
None of my friends play Meta Knight so no, although considering how good he is, it is bad taste to not practice the matchup. If you can’t find his FD anywhere else, practice spacing and see what is the optimal distance you should keep away.

Name1201

Smash Rookie
None of my friends play Meta Knight so no, although considering how good he is, it is bad taste to not practice the matchup. If you can’t find his FD anywhere else, practice spacing and see what is the optimal distance you should keep away.
Yo thx bruh Im already on the grind lol thx for the tips tho give it a month and ill have this mu down packed

Keeshu

Smash Ace
Zero did a pretty good job at summarizing Meta Knight up for how he played in Smash 4. A lot of that stuff carries over to Smash Ultimate. Zero's How to beat Meta Knight
Though if you want a more text heavy version from a just decent Meta Knight player then feel free to read my post. Note: I've only played a couple days with Meta Knight in Ultimate so a lot of knowledge is from Smash 4, I've been spending times unlocking things and testing out other characters and was going to try to get good with Meta Knight a lot more months from now. So there's bound to be some things I'm outdated on or just forgot about. So make sure you still look around at other people's thoughts on Meta Knight and also test things yourself to get a more well-rounded understanding of the matchup. Of course, as with trying to learn any match up, sometimes it doesn't hurt to put a few matches in using that character so you can see what move does what for yourself so you know why a Meta Knight player might not want to do the thing that seems obvious.

In general Meta Knight will want to get up airs on you and finish the up airs with an up+B or Nair depending on the situation. Up tilt and down tilt can lead into that, but usually Meta Knight will want to try to bait you to do something and punish you with a Dash attack or Dash Grab into down throw. It's pretty much main way to do things since he doesn't have a projectile to for you to come to him so he's going to be in your face trying to intimidate you to do something (or not do anything).

Now for talking about each move individually:
Obviously, whenever he uses any special he leaves himself wide open. In Smash 4 the specials were usually not worth the risk for Meta Knight players but perhaps in Ultimate they are so you might run into more Meta Knights using Specials.

Drill Rush - Shield it because the Meta Knight is taking an absolutely huge risk to suicide if he tries to do it offstage/near offstage. In Ultimate Meta Knight cannot go through shields with Drill Rush so it's much less safe to use. If you are prepared for it you can punish the Meta Knight pretty easily, and depending on the character you might be able to punish hard. There's a few ways Meta Knight can mixup how he does this move. He can just do it normally which will probably hit you. He can angle it so he lands on a platform, He can angle it down really hard so he hits the ground bouncing him backwards, and he can also angle it diagonally almost hitting the ground to fake you out that he'll bounce back. Though I haven't fought another Meta Knight player yet (despite fighting other characters among 50 different players each), so I don't know how often other Meta Knight like to use Drill Rush. I usually just use it when I'm feeling lazy, and most people don't know how to deal with it so it's easier to rack up damage that way. Also, it can be a somewhat reliable KO option to my surprise, but I doubt it'd work on higher level players. Also just be aware that when you are guarding the ledge don't stand too close to the ledge when you see him starting to drill rush because they can angle it to poke through the stage preventing you from trying to 2 frame or anything.

Dimensional Cape - Don't do things that lock you in place unable to block for any length of time or your just asking to get hit hard/KO'd. So no random Smashes (which you shouldn't be doing anyways but dimensional cape makes it ridiculously easy to punish such things). Certain moves are just stop being safe once you are in range of Meta Knight's dimensional cape. I have to go fight more Belmonts, but it seems really easy to dimensional cape on reaction to them throwing an item, they don't have time to shield for example, though I have a feeling their massive whip range can smash tilted at the Meta Knight to stop him from dimensional caping (which the Meta Knight can airdodge away from and approach again later). dimensional cape is one of those moves that you won't see very often but you need to keep it in your mind so you don't get hit by it. Also dimensional cape is a really safe move to recover with since it teleports to the ledge. Just keep an eye how far away he is, because he might be teleporting to dimensional cape attack you for standing too close to the ledge!

Tornado - It acts so differently in Ultimate and I haven't played Meta Knight enough to get a good feel for it so I can't say anything about it at the moment. Right now I've only used it to advance against people spamming weak projectiles at me because I don't feel like dealing with the projectiles and feeling lazy. However, I need to try using it off-stage more, afterall a bunch of people wanted to say a ton of stuff about Meta Knight's Tornado off-stage. Remember, Meta Knight has to recover highish if he wants to use the tornado offstage because he cannot grab the ledge from a tornado.

Shuttle Loop - Like dimensional cape, you always have to be mindful of your position above Meta Knight, you don't want to be in the path of his Shuttle Loop. It may have been nerfed but it's still reliable to KO at higher %s. Also, Up air can confirm into Up+B sometimes, so be very careful about just being above Meta Knight in general. If he misses the Shuttle Loop, you can practically hit him with whatever you want since it puts him into helpless.

As for other attacks:
Forward Smash - Incredibly hard to punish usually. It takes a while for it to start charging, so if you know they will do it you can punish them by attacking from above. If they are already charging the attack, don't challenge it because they can let go and immediately attack with something else as there's almost no endlag to the move. When I'm feeling lazy I sometimes do this to people to get them off the stage easily with forward tilts or his jab.

Jab - While there are situations for a Meta Knight to use jab, they will usually avoid jab because the Meta Knight becomes vulnerable once they start to jab because the endlag from Meta Knight's flip is huge. So you can punish MK's jab if you time it right after they stop their jab. Feel free to walk a little closer if they did it too far away. Just be careful about getting too close as the final hit of MK's Jab slightly farther (they even show it in his gameplay trailer on Toon Link). Also Meta Knight's Jab takes longer to start the first hit than his down tilt, which is another reason why MK players may choose not to use Jab.

Down Tilt - With running tilts in this game it's a bit harder to give advice on this one. However always be aware that there's a random chance to trip if he hits you with down tilt so be alert for that situation to happen. Also a bit more situational, but if you happen to have a smaller shield, a Meta Knight might be able to poke at your feet if they're pretty good, so be sure to angle your shield downward if you're in that situation somehow.

Forward Tilt - Not much to say other than that it can KO at higher %s and sometimes is just used to get people off. Between Down tilt and Forward Tilt, they feel more like proper Jabs than Meta Knight's actual jab, especially since they come out faster.

Up Tilt - If you're too tall, Meta Knight can stand next to you and hit you with it, but if you're too short it wont work. To get an idea, Kirby's idle pose bobbing up and down goes in and out of the range where Meta Knight can up tilt people standing next to him. Up tilt leads into easy up airs. Of course if you are next to them they can probably down tilt you too, but Up tilt is a faster more guaranteed way to get combos started for them so they might try to go for that instead..... Also don't be one of those people that try to down air a grounded Meta Knight and then get up tilted every time you try...

Up Throw - This can KO at high %s, but much lower if you're playing with platforms. Be a bit cautious about being grabbed around the middle of the stage if you're decently high in % so you don't die early from the top platform up throw.

Dash Attack + Dash grab to down throw - Meta Knight will try to alternate between these to get what he wants. This sends people up into the air so Meta Knight can get up air combos. Now there is a ladder combo for Meta Knight that in very specific %s that Meta Knight can hit you with a dash attack or down throw and then up air you into the blast zone above and there's not much you can do about it. However the Meta Knight has to be pretty skilled to pull this off in the first place, and any DI you do he will probably just react to your DI and KO you anyways. This was his bread and butter in Smash 4. In Ultimate it can still happen but it's even harder for the Meta Knight to do.

Up Air - Down tilt, dash attack, down throw, up tilt all lead into up airs since up airs combo into themselves, which is where Meta Knight gets a lot of his damage and can push people really far off the level or KO. Up air comes out pretty quick so just try not to be above Meta Knight if you can, especially at KO% because sometimes it can lead into a up air into up B confirm if they hit you with a random up air near the top of the stage.

Down Air - I will admit I don't use this aerial enough, it's on my list of things to improve on. However off the top of my head down air is sometimes used as an out of shield option or just getting out of a bad position or to send you into a bad position in general due to the speed the down air has. At lower %s a Meta Knight might try to alternate between up air and down airs while moving you offstage and can potentially KO you very early. So be aware of that.

Neutral Air - Meta Knight's most reliable lingering attack if he needs one. I use it a lot against a Pikachu main I know so I can hit him during his Quick Attacks, and also to slice through his jolts with plenty of time to react to anything else he throws afterwards. Also it can KO if he hits with the initial hit. Try not to get hit by it, it does have a bit less range than other attacks too....... I sometimes use this move as a lazy safe way to land on someone trying to attacks to stop me from landing.

Back Air - Incredibly dangerous move. It can spike you to the ground on stage, which can lead you getting jab locked with down tilts, into dash attack into up airs, and possibly a up B KO. If the Meta Knight is really clever and you're using just the right character, he can hit you with the second hit of back air but not the third where it be good positioning, or getting hit by part of your recovery, sending you downwards to die. However, the third his is hard not to hit after the Meta Knight has hit the second hit so you probably won't get spiked, buuuut the third hit is very powerful anyways and getting hit off stage by it will usually cause death, or at least a very hard time coming back to the stage.

Yeah I tend to ramble when I'm tired. Hopefully some of this helped at least =)

Name1201

Smash Rookie
Zero did a pretty good job at summarizing Meta Knight up for how he played in Smash 4. A lot of that stuff carries over to Smash Ultimate. Zero's How to beat Meta Knight
Though if you want a more text heavy version from a just decent Meta Knight player then feel free to read my post. Note: I've only played a couple days with Meta Knight in Ultimate so a lot of knowledge is from Smash 4, I've been spending times unlocking things and testing out other characters and was going to try to get good with Meta Knight a lot more months from now. So there's bound to be some things I'm outdated on or just forgot about. So make sure you still look around at other people's thoughts on Meta Knight and also test things yourself to get a more well-rounded understanding of the matchup. Of course, as with trying to learn any match up, sometimes it doesn't hurt to put a few matches in using that character so you can see what move does what for yourself so you know why a Meta Knight player might not want to do the thing that seems obvious.

In general Meta Knight will want to get up airs on you and finish the up airs with an up+B or Nair depending on the situation. Up tilt and down tilt can lead into that, but usually Meta Knight will want to try to bait you to do something and punish you with a Dash attack or Dash Grab into down throw. It's pretty much main way to do things since he doesn't have a projectile to for you to come to him so he's going to be in your face trying to intimidate you to do something (or not do anything).

Now for talking about each move individually:
Obviously, whenever he uses any special he leaves himself wide open. In Smash 4 the specials were usually not worth the risk for Meta Knight players but perhaps in Ultimate they are so you might run into more Meta Knights using Specials.

Drill Rush - Shield it because the Meta Knight is taking an absolutely huge risk to suicide if he tries to do it offstage/near offstage. In Ultimate Meta Knight cannot go through shields with Drill Rush so it's much less safe to use. If you are prepared for it you can punish the Meta Knight pretty easily, and depending on the character you might be able to punish hard. There's a few ways Meta Knight can mixup how he does this move. He can just do it normally which will probably hit you. He can angle it so he lands on a platform, He can angle it down really hard so he hits the ground bouncing him backwards, and he can also angle it diagonally almost hitting the ground to fake you out that he'll bounce back. Though I haven't fought another Meta Knight player yet (despite fighting other characters among 50 different players each), so I don't know how often other Meta Knight like to use Drill Rush. I usually just use it when I'm feeling lazy, and most people don't know how to deal with it so it's easier to rack up damage that way. Also, it can be a somewhat reliable KO option to my surprise, but I doubt it'd work on higher level players. Also just be aware that when you are guarding the ledge don't stand too close to the ledge when you see him starting to drill rush because they can angle it to poke through the stage preventing you from trying to 2 frame or anything.

Dimensional Cape - Don't do things that lock you in place unable to block for any length of time or your just asking to get hit hard/KO'd. So no random Smashes (which you shouldn't be doing anyways but dimensional cape makes it ridiculously easy to punish such things). Certain moves are just stop being safe once you are in range of Meta Knight's dimensional cape. I have to go fight more Belmonts, but it seems really easy to dimensional cape on reaction to them throwing an item, they don't have time to shield for example, though I have a feeling their massive whip range can smash tilted at the Meta Knight to stop him from dimensional caping (which the Meta Knight can airdodge away from and approach again later). dimensional cape is one of those moves that you won't see very often but you need to keep it in your mind so you don't get hit by it. Also dimensional cape is a really safe move to recover with since it teleports to the ledge. Just keep an eye how far away he is, because he might be teleporting to dimensional cape attack you for standing too close to the ledge!

Tornado - It acts so differently in Ultimate and I haven't played Meta Knight enough to get a good feel for it so I can't say anything about it at the moment. Right now I've only used it to advance against people spamming weak projectiles at me because I don't feel like dealing with the projectiles and feeling lazy. However, I need to try using it off-stage more, afterall a bunch of people wanted to say a ton of stuff about Meta Knight's Tornado off-stage. Remember, Meta Knight has to recover highish if he wants to use the tornado offstage because he cannot grab the ledge from a tornado.

Shuttle Loop - Like dimensional cape, you always have to be mindful of your position above Meta Knight, you don't want to be in the path of his Shuttle Loop. It may have been nerfed but it's still reliable to KO at higher %s. Also, Up air can confirm into Up+B sometimes, so be very careful about just being above Meta Knight in general. If he misses the Shuttle Loop, you can practically hit him with whatever you want since it puts him into helpless.

As for other attacks:
Forward Smash - Incredibly hard to punish usually. It takes a while for it to start charging, so if you know they will do it you can punish them by attacking from above. If they are already charging the attack, don't challenge it because they can let go and immediately attack with something else as there's almost no endlag to the move. When I'm feeling lazy I sometimes do this to people to get them off the stage easily with forward tilts or his jab.

Jab - While there are situations for a Meta Knight to use jab, they will usually avoid jab because the Meta Knight becomes vulnerable once they start to jab because the endlag from Meta Knight's flip is huge. So you can punish MK's jab if you time it right after they stop their jab. Feel free to walk a little closer if they did it too far away. Just be careful about getting too close as the final hit of MK's Jab slightly farther (they even show it in his gameplay trailer on Toon Link). Also Meta Knight's Jab takes longer to start the first hit than his down tilt, which is another reason why MK players may choose not to use Jab.

Down Tilt - With running tilts in this game it's a bit harder to give advice on this one. However always be aware that there's a random chance to trip if he hits you with down tilt so be alert for that situation to happen. Also a bit more situational, but if you happen to have a smaller shield, a Meta Knight might be able to poke at your feet if they're pretty good, so be sure to angle your shield downward if you're in that situation somehow.

Forward Tilt - Not much to say other than that it can KO at higher %s and sometimes is just used to get people off. Between Down tilt and Forward Tilt, they feel more like proper Jabs than Meta Knight's actual jab, especially since they come out faster.

Up Tilt - If you're too tall, Meta Knight can stand next to you and hit you with it, but if you're too short it wont work. To get an idea, Kirby's idle pose bobbing up and down goes in and out of the range where Meta Knight can up tilt people standing next to him. Up tilt leads into easy up airs. Of course if you are next to them they can probably down tilt you too, but Up tilt is a faster more guaranteed way to get combos started for them so they might try to go for that instead..... Also don't be one of those people that try to down air a grounded Meta Knight and then get up tilted every time you try...

Up Throw - This can KO at high %s, but much lower if you're playing with platforms. Be a bit cautious about being grabbed around the middle of the stage if you're decently high in % so you don't die early from the top platform up throw.

Dash Attack + Dash grab to down throw - Meta Knight will try to alternate between these to get what he wants. This sends people up into the air so Meta Knight can get up air combos. Now there is a ladder combo for Meta Knight that in very specific %s that Meta Knight can hit you with a dash attack or down throw and then up air you into the blast zone above and there's not much you can do about it. However the Meta Knight has to be pretty skilled to pull this off in the first place, and any DI you do he will probably just react to your DI and KO you anyways. This was his bread and butter in Smash 4. In Ultimate it can still happen but it's even harder for the Meta Knight to do.

Up Air - Down tilt, dash attack, down throw, up tilt all lead into up airs since up airs combo into themselves, which is where Meta Knight gets a lot of his damage and can push people really far off the level or KO. Up air comes out pretty quick so just try not to be above Meta Knight if you can, especially at KO% because sometimes it can lead into a up air into up B confirm if they hit you with a random up air near the top of the stage.

Down Air - I will admit I don't use this aerial enough, it's on my list of things to improve on. However off the top of my head down air is sometimes used as an out of shield option or just getting out of a bad position or to send you into a bad position in general due to the speed the down air has. At lower %s a Meta Knight might try to alternate between up air and down airs while moving you offstage and can potentially KO you very early. So be aware of that.

Neutral Air - Meta Knight's most reliable lingering attack if he needs one. I use it a lot against a Pikachu main I know so I can hit him during his Quick Attacks, and also to slice through his jolts with plenty of time to react to anything else he throws afterwards. Also it can KO if he hits with the initial hit. Try not to get hit by it, it does have a bit less range than other attacks too....... I sometimes use this move as a lazy safe way to land on someone trying to attacks to stop me from landing.

Back Air - Incredibly dangerous move. It can spike you to the ground on stage, which can lead you getting jab locked with down tilts, into dash attack into up airs, and possibly a up B KO. If the Meta Knight is really clever and you're using just the right character, he can hit you with the second hit of back air but not the third where it be good positioning, or getting hit by part of your recovery, sending you downwards to die. However, the third his is hard not to hit after the Meta Knight has hit the second hit so you probably won't get spiked, buuuut the third hit is very powerful anyways and getting hit off stage by it will usually cause death, or at least a very hard time coming back to the stage.

Yeah I tend to ramble when I'm tired. Hopefully some of this helped at least =)
Yo thx for knowledge bruh i already figured this mu out thru hours of grinding but thx anyways your a god ill add all this knowledge to what i already know i no longer struggle in this mu

Top Bottom