• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Meta Knight 3.6 MU Thread & How to play MK the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.

KarmaMN

Smash Rookie
PLEASE NOTE THAT THIS LIST IS CURRENTLY ON GOING AND IS NOT NO WHERE NEAR FINISHED, ALSO I WILL POST MORE META KNIGHT TIPS AND TRICKS IN THE NEAR FUTURE.
This is all my style, I have never watched and studied other Meta knights so my methods may be very different and you probably will learn a ton about your character, i've got so many hours clocked on meta knight since 3.5 that I have developed this character to be what i think ive made it today, so everything you are about to read is all found and done by myself and not taken from anywhere else, sooo without further ado.. lets get right into this thing! :)

This will as detailed as possible so expect a very long guide and MU thread.. (will probably take me a while to finish) also, feel free to post your opinions on match ups as well and if u have any questions i'd love to help :)
So i am a theory craftier and have tons of pm practice in 3.6 with :metaknight: (probably more than anyone) and I am the 2nd best MK main in my state.. so... (also i think meta knight is essentially a flying :marth: with good range.. and :sheik: in neutral and :jigglypuff: in the air) anyways.. before I start with the match ups i want to say that all these techniques i am going to list that i do with :metaknight: works great in all of these match ups, so pay attention! :) Wavedash Oos is so important.. use it! Upsmash out of shield is so freaking godlike if you do it correctly.. Dash dancing with MK is super OP, so if you aren't a dash dancer, don't even play meta knight.. Also, down throw tech chase grabbing works great on a ton of the mid level weights and some of the floaties and great on fast fallers, upthrow is great for mix ups on heavier characters and semi lighter characters at around 60-90%, back throw is super amazing on pretty much all characters.. your MAIN GOAL WITH META KNIGHT IS GET YOUR OPPONENT OFF OF THE STAGE! :) down throw to down smash is a tech trap, (depending on character) it covers 3 options.. (Tech in place, tech toward miss tech) helpful eh? ;) anyways!!... here are some match ups i think :metaknight: struggles with..
--------Bad MU's-------
1 .:roymelee: -This character CC d tilt you and get so many free follow ups with strong and weak hits and since we are fast fallers this is great for roy, 65/35 :roymelee: favor.. :metaknight: has got to up air juggle and gimp :roymelee: to even stand a chance against him.. mid to bigger stages are recommended.

2.:samus: -Super hard to get in, meta knight struggles against multi projectile characters, samus has guaranteed follow ups off down throw all the way up to 150 + %, i'd say 65/35 :samus: favor.. :metaknight: has to keep samus in the air, thats when we can get so much damage, although she is still hard to combo.

3.:fox:- This match up is very :sheik: esk.. (MK being the shiek) if u get grabed u get up throw up air'd at just about any percent.. and waveshined to death.. fox still best character in game tho LOL.. i'd say 60/40.. :metaknight: has to get gimps and space those f tilts, along with up smashes and up airs for platform tech chasing.. (but becareful not to get too up smash happy when fox is grounded cuz he can CC first hit of upsmash up till like 95%) you also gotta get the gimps.. but since fox up b is longer than falcos its a bit harder to gimp him.

4. :link2:- Another multi projectile character.. playing a top level very good link player is one of the most stressful things I have ever done, this character is tough.. specially when they projectile camp (its what links do) I have alot of match up knowledge on this one.. one of my rivals in the community is a link player and he's really really good at abusing his fast projectiles, so in this match up link can really mess up your recovery with Up B, make it extremely hard to get in with bombs + bomerang + arrows + z-air (airel hookshot) and it can be very hard to catch him, he can gimp you as well.. so the only way i found this match up to be possible is if you grab link, his tech roll is kinda slow and doesn't do that far so you can actually tech chase him to death, you just have to get the opportunity. Link is extremely hard to kill as meta knight as well, you got to hit him so many times, he lives to about 180% regularly (if the link has good DI) so really just make sure you grab link alot and get alot of follow ups off grabs and try to bait Up B's.. every single link player loves to use UP B's and also try to bait out a grab because link's grab is very punishable.. I can keep going on for this one, i'll update this one more later, but i think this is meta knights worst match up.
66/34 :link2: over :metaknight:

-----Good MU's-------
:falco: -There is no reason falco should ever live above 90% in this MU.. meta knights bair mid stage on battlefield can kill falco at 60%, falco is super duper vulnerable to meta knights strong hit attacks like nair, bair, dair etc... he is soooo easy to gimp its kinda sad.. back throw at ledge at like 5 percent can set up for an easy gimp using pretty much any airel.
only thing bad in this match up is meta knight is pretty easy to pillar combo, but if u play right falco wont get any oppertunitys since u out prioritize him. (EDIT: I forgot to mention that up throw to nair works on falco as a mix up and kills at around 80 percent near the ledge ;) )
63/37 :metaknight: over :falco:

:jigglypuff: -I actually think this is one of the worst match ups in the game, this is HORRIBLE for jigglypuff, all your airels beat hers.. and that is all puff is.. haha and u can kill her super easy with down b (dementional cape)
80/20 :metaknight: favor over :jigglypuff:

:ness2: -I got more ness practice than pretty much anyone (2 of my training partners are ness players) and I can solidly say this is a bit of a rough one for ness.. but VERY DOABLE, (specially if the meta knight doesnt know the match up), but.. ness lacks a good neutral game, and meta knight has one of the best neutrals in the entire game, so with meta knights long range attacks and up air chains he gets on ness, it is really hard for ness to get in on meta knight, although ness does have a down throw chain grab on meta knight and can combo him from 0 to about 60 pretty quick, but if you play the match up correctly and punish pk fire this should be no problem at all, ness is super slow you gotta remember that, so alot of his special moves are extremely punishable.
60/40 :metaknight: favor over :ness2:

:falcon: - I use to dislike this match up in 3.5, but with 3.6 meta knight vs falcon got a whole lot better for meta knight, that heavier weight, falcons up throw nerf along with meta knights new amazing down throw force tumble.. this match flip flopped completely, falcon is super easy to combo and he is so free to edge guard, when falcon is off the stage there should be no reason he gets back on, since a falcon is most likely going to be in the air or using platform movement it is best to space Nairs and also space up airs, use upsmashes and up tilts as anti airs.. you can tech chase falcon to death if you want as well, although meta knight does have one of the worst rolls in the game so it is quite easy for falcon to react to a tech or miss tech making this match up almost :marth: esk, but with a :sheik: like downthrow i gotta say the match up is
60/40 :metaknight: over :falcon:

:wolf: -Wolf can be quite tricky to deal with if you have not dealt with a good wolf before, now in this match up you are going to CC alot of those nair shines with probably a dtilt depending on percent or a upsmash, all situational, you can CC his shine.. you have to remember that, (at lower percents) he is very easy to combo (like all spacies) and he is very gimpable, your back air does beat alot of his airel aproaches and also f tilt works great for stopping approaches and resetting neutral. this one comes pretty close i'd say but with meta knights gimps and godlike CC'ing... Oh.. and UPSMASH OUT OF SHIELD IS GREAT IN ALL THE SPACIE MATCH UPS! ;)
58/42 :metaknight: over :wolf:

Last edited:

Lawn Chair

Smash Journeyman
This is alright. Only thing I disagree with is MK vs Link and a little bit on MK vs Roy

Boiko

:drshrug:
We already have two match up threads for some reason. You should post your opinion in there.

These are very strange MU numbers to use. How do you value 52 over 50? Most people typically use multiples of five when speaking about match ups.

down throw to down smash is a tech trap, (depending on character) it covers 3 options
That's not a tech trap, it's covering multiple options. A tech trap is when you force a missed tech or tech option by threatening with an option that imposes the opposite. For example, Ness can dash attack a spacie, right before they hit the ground and tech, he up tilts, this causes the fail window to activate and the spacie to miss the tech. Another example is when Jigglypuff throws a spacie up and they DI toward a platform, just before they land on the platform, Jiggs uses uair to pop them up again, because they attempted to tech the up throw landing, the fail safe will activate and they will miss the tech on the uair.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom