• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Message to Smash 4 Players in California

A10theHero

SSJ Fraud
NNID
A10theHero
Edit: I updated this thread because I think it might be better to make a statewide league with smaller tournaments in the county level. So now this message applies to all players in California. Also, if you already have an established scene in your area, I'd like to work with your local tournament hosters and help them grow.
Please read everything I have to say--I know it's long, but it's also really important. Thanks! :)

Hi everyone,

Hopefully, you guys have read this on the Smashboards home page: http://smashboards.com/threads/smash-wii-u-gets-a-call-to-arms.393296/. @juice.Doom has a message for us: http://pastebin.com/VpkMMBsi. We need to get organized and strengthen our community.

For that reason, I wanted to talk to fellow Smash 4 players in the state I live in. We should work together to organize tournaments at both the state and local levels in order to help Smash 4 gain a stronger competitive scene by raising awareness in our area.
What we could do is have local tournaments happen in individual cities. The various tournament hosters would be a part of a single league, but they would have the freedom to make tournaments whenever they want to. And then we could pool our resources together for one big tournament that everyone from our state can participate in. For example, since I live in Folsom, I would host tournaments here in Folsom. Someone else living in another city, such as Sacramento, would host some Smash 4 tournaments there. After a while, (maybe some time in Spring or Autumn) we would work together--using a portion of the revenue made from the earlier, city-based tournaments--and host one big tournament. This could help Smash 4 grow. It makes the competitive scene more accessible in our area. And having more Smash 4 tournaments will make the game more popular--a big tournament focused on Smash 4 will make it more well-known.

Another important aspect mentioned in the call-to-arms was social media. We need to let Twitter, Facebook, and Google+ know of Smash 4 and its happenings in our tournaments. Streaming is also very important. We need people to record our tournaments and post them on Youtube and Twitch. This will spread the word about our scene and help make a more vibrant Smash 4 community in our state. With other people doing this in other areas too, it will lead to a larger, stronger, more exciting competitive scene for everyone.

But before we can do all this, we need to form a group to manage these proceedings. We need people from various cities to join together and commit to hosting tournaments in their areas as well as sharing the events with the rest of the world through various mediums. Also, if there are already venues that host tournaments in your area, please ask them to join our association. Please comment below if you or your local tournament scene are willing to help out and improve Smash 4's competitive scene. I need contact information so we can work together on working out the details of this organization.

Also, if there's any comments or suggestions you have, please feel free to mention them here!

Thanks for reading this, and I hope we can Smash 4 a bigger, better game by working on this together. :)

Last edited:

wobbie831

Smash Rookie
Hey. I don't live in the Sacramento County, but I'm in Stockton. Since I'm not too far I am willing to help with anything I can! I definitely think the competitive scene needs some work and am willing to!
Kik me Wobbie_831

Last edited:

A10theHero

SSJ Fraud
NNID
A10theHero
Hey. I don't live in the Sacramento County, but I'm in Stockton. Since I'm not too far I am willing to help with anything I can! I definitely think the competitive scene needs some work and am willing to!
Kik me Wobbie_831
Thank you very much! :)

CSymph

Smash Rookie
Hey! I live sorta near lake tahoe and Folsom is only 15 minutes away. I'm not sure how I could help but I would definitely love to see Smash 4 get big in competitive. If you would like to contact me my Kik is Cobie_Shadoru and you can message me here

A10theHero

SSJ Fraud
NNID
A10theHero
Hey! I live sorta near lake tahoe and Folsom is only 15 minutes away. I'm not sure how I could help but I would definitely love to see Smash 4 get big in competitive. If you would like to contact me my Kik is Cobie_Shadoru and you can message me here
That'd be great, thanks! If you think there's enough smashers in your area, you could start hosting tournaments there. Or depending on who else is hosting tournaments for our organization, you could help them out as a TO or even participate in the tournaments! We can work on those details once the group becomes better established.

Also, just as a general message to everyone, I expanded the plan, and I want to include all of California. If this idea interests you, please post in this thread! Thank you very much!

Fishbowl

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Fishbowl22
As a San Diego smasher, I would love to see a competitive smash 4 scene develop. I only wish I had more free time to dedicate to my smashing hobby!

But as it is, I feel there's not a lot of tournament participation because a lot of people have social anxiety and don't want to go out and play smash with a bunch of strangers. We might want to have large prize pools to motivate people to show up, or have regional battles between counties/colleges/church groups/etc.

Now that I think of it, it would be pretty fun to organize a tournament...

San Diego smashers, shout out! Who's out there?
And more importantly, who's the best smasher in California?

gamestationpro

Smash Cadet
NNID
gamestationpro
3DS FC
1993-8204-9756
i really wanna find my local smash scene i'm in the livermore dublin pleasanton (east bay) area. i love smash and i wanna get better at all the smash games. i'd be really hype to come out to a live tourney so if anyone knows any near me hook a brutha up

Ryusuta

Smash Master
3DS FC
5000-3249-3643
I had to move away from California to Washington, but it's possible I'll be able to move back later this year. Here's hoping!

g00nther

Smash Rookie
I live in the Sacramento area I recently saw the smash documentary and am moved I've hosted tournaments smaller ones in my home but after that movie I want to expand it and possibly make a league or team something even if its just increasing the size of people who show up to mine I'm hosting one this Friday if any one is intresded you can messeg me on here or get ahold of me on IG @ssmash916 don't get hit

Michael Vargas

Smash Cadet
NNID
mdvargas
i live in stockton and i am great friends with wobbie. I have alot of equpment and time avalable to help any stockton area smash tourneyments. kik mdvargas

Lionel Cabanas

Smash Rookie
NNID
Cabanas_12
Hey any places near Montebello/Pico Rivera in L.A would be great as there is some smashers near there

Moondowner

Smash Cadet
NNID
Moondowner
3DS FC
0748-4199-9030
Vacaville/Fairfield/Dixon/Suisun City area, myself. A buddy of mine and I are wanting to develope a Sm4sh scene in our area as well. However, we're not opposed to visiting others and putting ourselves out there. Hit me up, any of you.

Kik: Moon_Downer

Top Bottom