• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Merlinus's Caravan: Roy Social

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Legit, after all the fan demand for Roy to come back and the new design/overhaul he got in Smash 4 it's flat out absurd to have Roy cut again. I also don't see him being DLC twice meaning he needs to be on the base roster if he's going to return again.

SorrowOfAcheron

Smash Journeyman
Yah, seems like this really is Roy's make or break in terms of a permanent spot on the Smash roster.
I'm personally hoping for a Marth-Roy-Ike core for future Smash games and then one or two rotating spots for the current FE game/s.

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
I think that Heroes has cemented his popularity, so hopefully he does return. What do you guys think about his moveset, is more decloning necessary?

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I think that Heroes has cemented his popularity, so hopefully he does return. What do you guys think about his moveset, is more decloning necessary?
I would think so but once Sakurai gives a character decloning once he's not likely to do it any further.

That being said I want his Melee DTilt to return.

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
I would think so but once Sakurai gives a character decloning once he's not likely to do it any further.
This might just be ridiculous wishful thinking, but with the BotW link being front and centre of the reveal they can't just have him use the same stuff he always has, which has me hoping that this might be a Smash that features a lot of revamping so the characters match the changes they've made for Switch launches. I think this Smash could end up being a bit of a 'Switch' celebration alongside the gaming history celebration since they really seem to be hell bent on making the franchise debuts something BIG.

SorrowOfAcheron

Smash Journeyman
Here is my wishful thinking for a change to Roy's specials.

Change Double Edge Dance (side B) to have a buff mechanic:
- Hitting with the final hit (clean hit, no shields) of each variation makes the SoS burst into flames, causing all sword attacks to have fire properties, an increased range and a 30% damage 'double hit' (due to actual SoS hitbox and fire hitbox) when hitting with the sweetspot.
- Increased knockback, base damage remains the same. Normals/Smashes which already have fire properties have increased damage. Specials get no damage increase but have unique buffs mentioned below.
- Lasts 8 seconds and has a cool-off period of 18 seconds. Deal reduced damage and knockback during cool-off period, and take 20% more damage, 20% more shield damage, and slows shield regeneration by 20%.
- DED buff: Increased shield damage and lingering hitbox on all slashes.

Flare Blade (changed):
- Ranged attack when 60%+ charged.
- Charge can be stored, grows in distance and size the more it is charged.
- Rising horizontal two-handed slash, similar to what Glavenus does at 3:54 https://youtu.be/SoGbwYRbxrQ?t=3m54s
- DED buff: Opponents hit the projectile portion of this move are terribly burned, and will take 20% damage over the next 4 seconds. Any fire based attack from any source will deal 30% more damage over those 4 seconds.
- If Roy has charged up Flare Blade and the DED buff runs out, Flare Blade charge is lost.

Counter (changed):
- After a successful Counter, triggers and explosion towards the direction you are facing.
- Can counter attacks from behind but won't turn around.
- DED buff: Explosion happens all around Roy.

Blazer:
- Stays the same, Smash 4 treatment was pretty nice, with the angling.
- DED buff: Causes an upward explosion when activated and Roy gains 50% more distance, with increased hyper armor for the first 75% of the move.

Basically play like a normal character, when you get around the 60% mark, look to start buffing, and see if you can score your kill.
Or successfully DED early, land your empowered Flare Blade to pile on damage via the guaranteed move damage + 20% damage over time from empowered Flare Blade and the 30% increased fire damage, lay low for a while (or don't), getting damage when you can and finish people off with or without the DED buff.

All or nothing for those 26 seconds.

Last edited:

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
Here is my wishful thinking for a change to Roy's specials.

Change Double Edge Dance (side B) to have a buff mechanic:
- Hitting with the final hit (clean hit, no shields) of each variation makes the SoS burst into flames, causing all sword attacks to have fire properties, an increased range and a 30% damage 'double hit' (due to actual SoS hitbox and fire hitbox) when hitting with the sweetspot.
- Increased knockback, base damage remains the same. Normals/Smashes which already have fire properties have increased damage. Specials get no damage increase but have unique buffs mentioned below.
- Lasts 8 seconds and has a cool-off period of 18 seconds. Deal reduced damage and knockback during cool-off period, and take 20% more damage, 20% more shield damage, and slows shield regeneration by 20%.
- DED buff: Increased shield damage and lingering hitbox on all slashes.

Flare Blade (changed):
- Ranged attack when 60%+ charged.
- Charge can be stored, grows in distance and size the more it is charged.
- Rising horizontal two-handed slash, similar to what Glavenus does at 3:54 https://youtu.be/SoGbwYRbxrQ?t=3m54s
- DED buff: Opponents hit the projectile portion of this move are terribly burned, and will take 20% damage over the next 4 seconds. Any fire based attack from any source will deal 30% more damage over those 4 seconds.
- If Roy has charged up Flare Blade and the DED buff runs out, Flare Blade charge is lost.

Counter (changed):
- After a successful Counter, triggers and explosion towards the direction you are facing.
- Can counter attacks from behind but won't turn around.
- DED buff: Explosion happens all around Roy.

Blazer:
- Stays the same, Smash 4 treatment was pretty nice, with the angling.
- DED buff: Causes an upward explosion when activated and Roy gains 50% more distance, with increased hyper armor for the first 75% of the move.

Basically play like a normal character, when you get around the 60% mark, look to start buffing, and see if you can score your kill.
Or successfully DED early, land your empowered Flare Blade to pile on damage via the guaranteed move damage + 20% damage over time from empowered Flare Blade and the 30% increased fire damage, lay low for a while (or don't), getting damage when you can and finish people off with or without the DED buff.

All or nothing for those 26 seconds.
I think some of those numbers are looking a bit big, which would probably make him way too feast or famine in play style, I know you acknowledge it by calling it all or nothing but when it's that big of a difference then it can be really hard to make him actually fun to play both as and against, I mean I know some of her problems are more systemic changes but look at how Jiggs is treated, they reaaaally don't want to buff her.

I like the idea of the DED buff, but I just don't really think the downside should pretty much be 'all Monado downsides at once'.

Edit: kinda just realised that some of those X%s are actually '% increase of what they do currently' and not 'do an extra X as damage to the opponents %.

Last edited:

SorrowOfAcheron

Smash Journeyman
I think some of those numbers are looking a bit big, which would probably make him way too feast or famine in play style, I know you acknowledge it by calling it all or nothing but when it's that big of a difference then it can be really hard to make him actually fun to play both as and against, I mean I know some of her problems are more systemic changes but look at how Jiggs is treated, they reaaaally don't want to buff her.

I like the idea of the DED buff, but I just don't really think the downside should pretty much be 'all Monado downsides at once'.

Edit: kinda just realised that some of those X%s are actually '% increase of what they do currently' and not 'do an extra X as damage to the opponents %.
Yah, sorry, I guess it can be hard to see what I mean in terms of numbers.

I also see what you mean with the feast or famine playstyle; I thought that too while I was typing it up.
I guess I'm hoping for a lot since it'd feel like pretty ehh if we got the same Luigified Roy as Smash 4.

My thought process was:
- We have Marth as the elegant guy; precision via tipper mechanic, damage at range.
- Ike as the slower, strong tank dude.
- Roy as the average guy, with a really strong power-up and drawback.

I probably just want change for the sake of change; it gets me hyped thinking about what a character could be!
Then I wake up...

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
Yah, sorry, I guess it can be hard to see what I mean in terms of numbers.

I also see what you mean with the feast or famine playstyle; I thought that too while I was typing it up.
I guess I'm hoping for a lot since it'd feel like pretty ehh if we got the same Luigified Roy as Smash 4.

My thought process was:
- We have Marth as the elegant guy; precision via tipper mechanic, damage at range.
- Ike as the slower, strong tank dude.
- Roy as the average guy, with a really strong power-up and drawback.

I probably just want change for the sake of change; it gets me hyped thinking about what a character could be!
Then I wake up...
To be fair, I don't think it's as bad now that I see the numbers a bit more clearly. I think it could be pretty fun to have that kind of mind game where every opponent knows what you're fishing for and it creates some good mixups to fake them out for the obvious DED and the punish their dodge or shield. Also it's not change for the sake of change, there's no such thing as a perfect representation when translating characters and actions from one genre to another, nor is change to make him more unique 'change for the sake of change'.

Miifighters4Smash5

Smash Journeyman
I Think since his Return was Well-Recieved; I think there's a Possibility of seeing him return once again.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I basically stopped posting once Roy was confirmed for Smash 4 back in June 2015 (I made only a few posts since then, only one in 2016, and none in 2017).

I intended for Smash 4 to be the final game in the series I would do any speculation for. I have lost nearly all of my interest in speculation and anticipation for future Smash Bros. titles. Nearly every character I wanted in has gotten in, and the few left that I care for, have sub-50% prospect of getting in at this point (most notably and unfortunately, Ridley).

However, due to this Smash Bros. installment having a very small speculation window from its unveil (Brawl's unveil to release date was 1 year and nearly nine months, Smash 4 was a year and three months, and assuming Smash Switch does release in December 2018 at the latest, it will be only nine months). At this point (ignoring how long the DLC period is, assuming there is DLC), there are only eight months of speculation left.

During the pre-Smash 4 period, I spent a lot of my time in the Smash Bros. community trying my best to support Roy. I was glad to see him return in Smash 4 despite all odds. I was really satisfied with his re-design and the tweaks made to his moveset.

Hopefully, Our Boy gets to return in Smash Bros. for the Switch (as well as all the other veterans from Smash 4, in addition to the cut Brawl veterans). Roy despite being a clone, is a very memorable character in Smash Bros. I was drawn to the Fire Emblem series due to myself maining him in Melee.

Even though there is nothing I am looking forward to with this upcoming Smash Bros. (I do not even have a Switch yet), it is my hope Roy will return yet again for this installment (as well as the rest of Smash 4's cast).

Roy's Our Boy! Together We Ride Once Again!

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I basically stopped posting once Roy was confirmed for Smash 4 back in June 2015 (I made only a few posts since then, only one in 2016, and none in 2017).

I intended for Smash 4 to be the final game in the series I would do any speculation for. I have lost nearly all of my interest in speculation and anticipation for future Smash Bros. titles. Nearly every character I wanted in has gotten in, and the few left that I care for, have sub-50% prospect of getting in at this point (most notably and unfortunately, Ridley).

However, due to this Smash Bros. installment having a very small speculation window from its unveil (Brawl's unveil to release date was 1 year and nearly nine months, Smash 4 was a year and three months, and assuming Smash Switch does release in December 2018 at the latest, it will be only nine months). At this point (ignoring how long the DLC period is, assuming there is DLC), there are only eight months of speculation left.

During the pre-Smash 4 period, I spent a lot of my time in the Smash Bros. community trying my best to support Roy. I was glad to see him return in Smash 4 despite all odds. I was really satisfied with his re-design and the tweaks made to his moveset.

Hopefully, Our Boy gets to return in Smash Bros. for the Switch (as well as all the other veterans from Smash 4, in addition to the cut Brawl veterans). Roy despite being a clone, is a very memorable character in Smash Bros. I was drawn to the Fire Emblem series due to myself maining him in Melee.

Even though there is nothing I am looking forward to with this upcoming Smash Bros. (I do not even have a Switch yet), it is my hope Roy will return yet again for this installment (as well as the rest of Smash 4's cast).

Roy's Our Boy! Together We Ride Once Again!
Holy crap it's Chrono! Welcome back!

This really does feel like 2015 all over again.

Yeah, I think Roy is pretty safe. I don't want to jinx things, but his case is very similar to Mewtwo's; he's proven to be a very popular fan-favorite in Smash, the fact he made it back after being cut says a lot, and the Luigification he went through helps to further edge him away from Marth (especially in comparison to fellow Marth clone Lucina's barely unique Smash moveset). I do wish to see Roy get his old Melee down tilt and some of his old voice clips back.

Miifighters4Smash5

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, I think Roy is pretty safe. I don't want to jinx things, but his case is very similar to Mewtwo's; he's proven to be a very popular fan-favorite in Smash, the fact he made it back after being cut says a lot, and the Luigification he went through helps to further edge him away from Marth (especially in comparison to fellow Marth clone Lucina's barely unique Smash moveset). I do wish to see Roy get his old Melee down tilt and some of his old voice clips back.
His Final Smash is also Significanty Different due to his Embuing it with fire and how it's not instantaneous like the Other Critical Hit Final Smashes!!

SorrowOfAcheron

Smash Journeyman
Do you guys want Jun Fukuyama to return as Roy's voice actor, or would you rather we get him speaking English?
No lie, what really got me to like Roy when I got Melee was his voice; his death shout and up B sound so great. I really like Fukuyama's voice, sounds so full of feeling, you know?

Roberk

Smash Champion
We should have Localized/Japanese options for Marth and Roy, I think that'd make everybody happy with how iconic their Japanese voices are.

I'm a big fan of English voices now taht official voices exist. Especially for Marth since the VA is so perfect. Roy's is pretty good too I think though so I wouldn't complain.

:061:

SethTheMage

Smash Ace
NNID
SethTheMage

That being said I want his Melee DTilt to return.
I second the Melee dtilt idea. It would be nice to give him a multi-purpose tool that functions as a good poke and a combo starter. It would also make him feel more like "Roy" to me (I've mained him in PM since he was added, so a wavedash in > dtilt approach is really ingrained into my fingers). Dtilt leading into his already intimidating combo game would be a great improvement.

SorrowOfAcheron

Smash Journeyman
Hey, guys.

I just started learning Photoshop and made some FE art.
Just a bunch of veterans, possible additions, some who I personally want (Oboro) and just anything.

PS: I don't own any of the art.

Standlord

Smash Cadet
Alright so I'd like to share some ideas. If Roy is to return, and I hope he will, I'd like him to be Luigified a little more. I think that changing only 6 moves would be enough for him to feel like a completely different character. He already does feel different gameplay wise, but most of his attacks are still very similar to Marth's.

So the attacks I think they should change are:

Bair: Currently he turns around like Marth does, but Roy is a fast faller and it doesn't make much sense on him (in my opinion), since he cannot play around in the air like Marth does. So instead they can give him some sort of "quick turn around flame strike" and return to the same direction he was facing, or anything really, just don't give him the same Bair as Ike to replace it, let's be original.

Nair: Some sort of fire spiral like what he does in Project M, something simple yet effective, as you see we don't need to go crazy on most of the changes.

Down Tilt: Again it doesn't need to be too different from what he has now, but change it a little bit, maybe he could swing the sword in a similar way to his jab but downwards. I think it would please the community to give him here a move from wich he can combo into something else.

Up B: Not really a change, I want it to stay the way it is now since it already feels different enough from Marth and the sounds when hitting an enemy are very satisfying, but I'd like it to travel more distance. As a fastfaller he sometimes has problems returning to stage with such a short recovery move and this makes him play more defensively (at least in my experience). This would let him be more aggresive off-stage. I think in general Roy feels like a rushdown character but he doesn't have the tools to play like that.

Side B: I think the dancing blade should be only a special move for Marth, and this applies to Lucina too is she is to return (just change her Side B and posibly Neutral B and I'm fine if the rest of her moveset is a complete clone like in smash 4)... but we are here to talk about Roy. I'd be fine with some sort of fire projectile to come out of his sword for his Side B, however, that feels way too simple, I'd be cooler if they give him some sort of acrobatic movement. Anyways I haven't played his game so I don't know what to say but I'm sure there's something they can take inspiration from to give him something unique.

Down Smash: Ok so I've never done this before and apparently I'm terrible at drawing so excuse the quality, but I here is what I'd like to see for his down smash: he "sticks" the sword in the groung with both hands, the sword glows and releases flames to the sides. He doesn't need to adopt that weird pose, I just didn't know how to draw it any better.

SorrowOfAcheron

Smash Journeyman
I actually would really like to see an acrobatic move for side B, had never thought about that before.
Maybe do his backflip animation from FE6, but with a more horizontal trajectory?

Could add a sword slash with an additional B press, so like a retreating jump that has him face the opposite direction he jumps in, slashing diagonally downwards. They could even add a small wave of fire or something.

I really wanna see something like that now.

Standlord

Smash Cadet
I actually would really like to see an acrobatic move for side B, had never thought about that before.
Maybe do his backflip animation from FE6, but with a more horizontal trajectory?

Could add a sword slash with an additional B press, so like a retreating jump that has him face the opposite direction he jumps in, slashing diagonally downwards. They could even add a small wave of fire or something.
That's pretty cool, I'd like to see that too. So I've been looking for that move and I found this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCePyRiqpyw it seems he has a lot of things to draw inspiration from, like the thrush he does in his normal sword critical hit, the ranged attacks or the backflip you said. I really don't understand why they didn't change him more in smash 4.

Kirbyfan391

Smash Champion
I'm a bit worried about Roy's inclusion given his history in the Smash Bros. series since his debut was last min addition -> cut -> DLC addition. So really for Smash 5 its worrisome mostly whether Roy will be high enough priority to make it in time for the release+possible DLC window rather than consideration for the roster. But I guess his popularity evidenced in recent days and potential resurgence with a possible remake has me hopeful.

Really hope he makes it in though, it's my main concern with Smash 5. He is my favorite video game character of all time, and the experience of finding out his inclusion in Smash 4 I will probably never be able to put it into words. For Smash 5 if he's concerned, it will probably not be that feeling, more of a relief that he will potentially be a shoo in for future Smash games and will have his place secured hopefully, like for probably most other recurring vets.

Also great to see you back, Chrono! In the periods of Smash 4 speculation where FE character speculation was mostly Awakening centered, the leading arguments and support you had for Roy really inspired me to have hope for Our Boy in the game, in a convincing way. And while it took some time, his DLC addition was the culmination of all that. So, despite what his uh, "haters" may say about him being unpopular, being a weak lord in FE[which personally, I think has its charm tbh], being too clone-y, that other FE characters deserve it more, it's that unwavering optimism that also represents Roy to hold on to which I believe will pay off! Here's to hoping we see Roy in all his glory once again, with t3h ph1r3!

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
I've been playing Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia. Great game. I almost bought a Roy amiibo with it but I didn't want to spend too much money because I bought Mario Super Sluggers, Final Fantasy X, Mario Kart DS, and the 2009 Wonder Woman animated movie and my total was adding up over $60.

A shame that I didn't get the Roy amiibo. Anyway, I hope he does come to Smash Bros Switch. And please, give him an English voice.

CardiganBoy

Smash Lord
Yes, i support!
I wish they gave the option to switch character's languages, his and Marth's japanese voices are pretty iconic, but i'm also interested on how they will sound in english while fighting in Smash.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Goodness, that Beyond The Distand Skies-remix in his trailer. I'm so stoked to see the return of our boy!

Last edited:

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
Nothing pleases me more than seeing Roy returns again!

Now top tier Sakurai

godogod

Smash Ace
Well, we already know Roy has at least two buffs now. the side special with Marth, Roy, and Lucina are significantly faster and seem easier to connect(?). Secondly.. being able to turn flare blade is crazy good for mind games.

Seraphim.

Smash Ace
NNID
Seraphim35
Going off his Character introduction, Roy seems to have been given Ike's Smash 4 sword sound effects and his Final Smash now has the critical sound effect from the GBA FE games.

Boo Jr.

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BooJunior00
3DS FC
4613-8845-7527
It's just me or Roy now have more flame attacks?
If you look closely in the video, some small flames appears during Roy's d-air. Also, the third image in the Smash site shows him with a fiery f-smash.

Also, I really like his new running animation!

godogod

Smash Ace
What buffs do you hope for in Roy?

I'm hoping all his sweet spot attacks are as powerful/damaging as Marth's now. More combo options with neutral and forward air would be nice.. besides that.. having a special that slows him down in the air like marth's side special(or even his neutral special). Also, his down air really needs to be safer; either slow down fall speed or reduce the frames.

T-Donor66

Purple Prizes
NNID
T-Donor66
3DS FC
3050-7765-3759
What buffs do you hope for in Roy?

I'm hoping all his sweet spot attacks are as powerful/damaging as Marth's now. More combo options with neutral and forward air would be nice.. besides that.. having a special that slows him down in the air like marth's side special(or even his neutral special). Also, his down air really needs to be safer; either slow down fall speed or reduce the frames.
He needs an actual approach option this time lmao

Top Bottom