• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Merlinus's Caravan: Roy Social

Roy's our boy!

Roy, Noble of Pherae, and liberator of Elibe. He wields the Sword of Seals, a blade of intense power and the ability of flame.

His gimmick is that his sword is weak at the tip, but hits like Armads towards the hilt. Don't get in this 15 year old's way, or he'll urn you to a crisp!

Roy Competetive Discord:
https://discordapp.com/invite/0am7ORpgdo2NM9Fv

Last edited:

Quetzal77

Smash Journeyman
NNID
yomugo
3DS FC
1349-4940-0147
I think Roy is safe. What with him ranking second in the FE Heroes popularity poll and the SoV director specifically mentioning his game as a potential remake, I have a feeling IS will push to keep him around. Would be cool for him to get a redesign in keeping with his youthful appearance in FE and to get his English voice actor involved!

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Oh crap this again?

It feels like 2015 all over again lol.

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
I wonder if they'll keep his Japanese voice or have Ray Chase come along to voice to voice him.

D

Deleted member

I fully support the return of our Boy.

Unfortunately, Roy has quite the hatebase behind him, and they love spreading lies about him, so we must be prepared, because Roy detractors are loud, mean and will attack him at every chance they get.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Well you don't need to tell me that. I've lived through the days of 2015 to know all about that.

AncientArk

Smash Apprentice
Hell yes. Roy needs to hang around for good this time. Not DLC, just in game, sitting there, next to Marth and the other FE ones.
Roy is a treasure.

... With his Japanese voice.
I honestly like that a bunch of the characters have Japanese voices by default. Even though its really weird that the more recently introduced FE characters speak English.

ThePsychoWolf

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3926-5863-0271
Marth being in Melee isn't the only reason that Fire Emblem was finally localized; Roy's popularity in that game is a big reason for it too. Marth AND Roy should be the two main FE ambassadors to Smash, IMO.

Seraphim.

Smash Ace
NNID
Seraphim35
Roy has much more momentum this time around compared to the Pre-Smash 4 days.

FEH's CYL poll confirms Roy's high popularity with him being the second most popular male character in FE and top 5 overall, Smash 4 granted him a more unique moveset to differentiate him from Marth and there's also a good chance of FE6 being the next FE to be remade.

Naturally Roy will be high on most people's cut lists due to the backlash of FE currently having 6 characters on the roster but I'd be pretty surprised if Roy didn't return.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
I fully support the return of our Boy.

Unfortunately, Roy has quite the hatebase behind him, and they love spreading lies about him, so we must be prepared, because Roy detractors are loud, mean and will attack him at every chance they get.
Yeaah - still do remember how they kind of ruined my initial happiness on Roy returning to Smash 4 back in the day - like the outcry was pretty huge, and had me feel like Smash-fans only played favorites whenever giving "congratulations" to newcomers or veterans (same for FE-fans).

However,I think what was more my lack of thick skin that dug my own grave by the time I allowed haters to affect me that bad.

However, contrary to what you think, I don't think there'll be lies spread around to make Roy-detraction resurface the same way it did back in 2015. As far as I've witnessed over time, Roy's hatedom had actually started to dwindle down actively as there's been more fans finally clearing out the misconceptions about him since Smash 4 brought him back. Now the fandom mainly holds indifference and mixed bag of hater minorities + fans who like him for certain reasons.

And much like Seraphim. Seraphim. had said, Roy's popularity keeps on being surprisingly high today, beating even the likes of more "better" fan-favorites according to the fandom (mainly Hector).

While one could be a lot due Smash Bros doing it's magic on adding to his overall popularity, it surprises me how Roy managed to beat Marth + PoR Ike + Robin on top spots, even if the former characters are being more amicable to by the FE Fandom (and arguably Smash-fandom since Brawl-days).

If the haters were right, I don't think Roy wouldn't have perform as ludicrously well as he did. That's nothing to sneeze at.

So I think his return wouldn't be necessarily be outcried against strongly like before, maybe instead being accepted in same vein as other semi-clones. Though that depends on if people think Roy either will take "spots" for more deserving FE-reps, or creates today's classic FE Overrepresentation-scenario.

Last edited:

Quillion

Smash Hero
I have two changes in mind for Roy:

1. Add a fire sword beam to Flare Blade. It would be fairly short-range, and fully-charged explosion wouldn't fire the beam.
  2. Make his Final Smash pull out a Dragonstone then breathe ice on everyone. That way, we have Manakete representation.
Yes, #2 is canon; we know that 1/4 dragons can transform and Ninian is Roy's mother and you can't tell me otherwise. :)

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
Yeaah - still do remember how they kind of ruined my initial happiness on Roy returning to Smash 4 back in the day - like the outcry was pretty huge, and had me feel like Smash-fans only played favorites whenever giving "congratulations" to newcomers or veterans (same for FE-fans).

However,I think what was more ____ was that I dug my own grave by the time I allowed haters to affect me that bad.

However, contrary to what you think, I don't think there'll be lies spread around to make Roy-detraction resurface the same way it did back in 2015. As far as I've witnessed over time, Roy's hatedom had actually started to dwindle down actively as there's been more fans finally clearing out the misconceptions about him since Smash 4 brought him back. Now the fandom mainly holds indifference and mixed bag of hater minorities + fans who like him for certain reasons.

And much like Seraphim. Seraphim. had said, Roy's popularity keeps on being surprisingly high today, beating even the likes of more "better" fan-favorites according to the fandom (mainly Hector).

While one could be a lot due Smash Bros doing it's magic on adding to his overall popularity, it surprises me how Roy managed to beat Marth + PoR Ike + Robin on top spots, even if the former characters are being more amicable to by the FE Fandom (and arguably Smash-fandom since Brawl-days).

If the haters were right, I don't think Roy wouldn't have perform as ludicrously well as he did. That's nothing to sneeze at.

So I think his return wouldn't be necessarily be outcried against strongly like before, maybe instead being accepted in same vein as other semi-clones. Though that depends on if people think Roy either will take "spots" for more deserving FE-reps, or creates today's classic FE Overrepresentation-scenario.
To correct you, he beat RD Ike (smash 4 "swole" design) not PoR Ike (brawl "average build" design) in popularity for CYL. It's interesting really as many Smash fans here prefer RD Ike. Yet, among FE fans and likely the japanese fanbase most chose PoR Ike due to being the game he's originally from. (At least that's what I speculate)

Though nonetheless, I agree with your statement. Roy is really interesting in terms of his fanbase. I feel as though most fire emblem fans like Roy (his one flaw popularity wise being one of the weaker lords gameplay wise) and most of the detractors from his reveal as DLC in Smash 4 were predominantly casual smash players with no interest in fire emblem. Which is why he can perform great in the Heroes poll.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
To correct you, he beat RD Ike (smash 4 "swole" design) not PoR Ike (brawl "average build" design) in popularity for CYL. It's interesting really as many Smash fans here prefer RD Ike. Yet, among FE fans and likely the japanese fanbase most chose PoR Ike due to being the game he's originally from. (At least that's what I speculate)
I also prefer PoD Ike to RD Ike. I guess it's because it's the design i'm most nostalgic for from the Brawl days.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
I’ve gotta say - Roy was a big nothing to me in Melee. Some weird unlocalized series, and came from nowhere.

I still haven’t gotten into Fire Emblem, but Ike was so awesome in Brawl (swole Ike is best Ike) and Robin in Sm4sh that I really see the series differently now. I didn’t mind Roy’s inteo as DLC, but when I played him again..

Wow. They did a great job with him!

He didn’t feel at all like a fake Marth or fake Ike, and was a lot of fun to play. I really got into him in the last game.

I don’t know if our boy will make it back as vanilla, but hopefully he does come by.

Ghirahilda

♥Smash Beauty♥
NNID
Marcelinho21
My heart will not support another cut! HE MUST RETURN!
no.jpg

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger

Though nonetheless, I agree with your statement. Roy is really interesting in terms of his fanbase. I feel as though most fire emblem fans like Roy (his one flaw popularity wise being one of the weaker lords gameplay wise) and most of the detractors from his reveal as DLC in Smash 4 were predominantly casual smash players with no interest in fire emblem. Which is why he can perform great in the Heroes poll.
Would Roy not do better in Smash related polls? I thought he was more or less a nobody in Fire Emblem. Smash was what put him on a pedestal. In fact, I would wager most casual Smash fans prefer Roy. Would you rather play as a bland feminine swordsman or the guy with wacky hair and a Fire Sword? I know what I thought, I know what all my friends thought, Roy was our Boy. Even the name "Marth" evokes more Martha Stewart than badassery.

The hate was just because nobody wanted to see a decade old clone return over their preferred character. Most got just as much hate as Roy, honestly. Corrin got more than Roy, even, and she was not a clone. Bayonetta was probably the worst.

I do not know, maybe I was looking in the wrong places. All I know is, the only characters that were more well received were Lucas (just barely) and Ryu which more or less launched with him, so perhaps that is why the perception is the way it is.

Quillion

Smash Hero
I'm honestly starting to think that Roy's hatedom is a vocal minority.

If people really think Roy got #2 on CYL on Smash popularity alone, how would you explain LYN beating him by about 20,000 votes with only an assist trophy to her name?

I'm pretty sure there are way more Roy fans in the FE fandom than some people would like to believe.

Ghirahilda

♥Smash Beauty♥
NNID
Marcelinho21
I wonder if our boy wil get more Luigified! I really liked the approach they did on ssb4

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
Would Roy not do better in Smash related polls? I thought he was more or less a nobody in Fire Emblem. Smash was what put him on a pedestal. In fact, I would wager most casual Smash fans prefer Roy. Would you rather play as a bland feminine swordsman or the guy with wacky hair and a Fire Sword? I know what I thought, I know what all my friends thought, Roy was our Boy. Even the name "Marth" evokes more Martha Stewart than badassery.

The hate was just because nobody wanted to see a decade old clone return over their preferred character. Most got just as much hate as Roy, honestly. Corrin got more than Roy, even, and she was not a clone. Bayonetta was probably the worst.

I do not know, maybe I was looking in the wrong places. All I know is, the only characters that were more well received were Lucas (just barely) and Ryu which more or less launched with him, so perhaps that is why the perception is the way it is.
He's not too much of a nobody in his series. His game got a prequel afterall. Honestly among fire emblem fans he's known as one of the weakest lords, but that doesn't mean least liked. Though it is true that being in smash helped his popularity compared to other lords like Leif.

Yeah, that was the worst part of the smash ballot/dlc characters, people were getting toxic from not seeing the character they wanted to see.

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
I really hope he returns too. My most used Fire Emblem character by far.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I thought Roy was extremely sexy back when Melee was out and I was not.
It was good timing being a ten year old.

But I don't want Roy to return. I want all characters to have a few different play style options, an evolution of the custom moves which was poorly implemented in the last game. And with this, make one of the variants of Marths play style more akin to Roy, and make Roy an alt costume.
I find this to be the best compromise in adding a number of characters that maybe should not take up room visually on the roster screen.

ThePsychoWolf

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3926-5863-0271
I thought Roy was extremely sexy back when Melee was out and I was not.
It was good timing being a ten year old.

But I don't want Roy to return. I want all characters to have a few different play style options, an evolution of the custom moves which was poorly implemented in the last game. And with this, make one of the variants of Marths play style more akin to Roy, and make Roy an alt costume.
I find this to be the best compromise in adding a number of characters that maybe should not take up room visually on the roster screen.
No. Either cut him or keep him, none of this alt costume s**t. I don't want to beat Classic with Roy and get a f***king Marth trophy. It's a slap in the face. Roy is worthy of his own spot on the roster, whether YOU want him to 'take up room visually' on the roster screen or not.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Roy as a Marth alt is like having Luigi as a Mario alt.

He plays so much differently now that it's impossible for them to be the same character.

D

Deleted member

If Sakurai didn't want Dr. Mario, a character that literally is Mario in a doctor costume, to become an alt, then there's no way Roy would become an alt. Simple as that.

Jibblypuff_

Supposed to be studying
Switch FC
SW 2726 7422 0030
IMO Roy is coming back for sure. He was already cut and brought back once so I'm not quite sure why he would they would cut him again. Especially considering he got an entirely new and basically original design with his updated move-set. Is there anything, in particular, you guys would like to see Roy get? It'd be interesting if he got a fireball projectile similar to the one he has in his game.

ZRoy

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0731-4868-5857
I'm always gonna support my boy Roy. I'm hoping he returns since he's more popular now. I really liked how Sakurai differentiated him more from Marth in Smash 4. Hopefully Smash 5 can go even further, but I wouldn't mind if he stayed the same. Oh and I wouldn't mind another redesign either.

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
Roy needs to stay. After Sakurai went through all the trouble of bringing him back from the depths of Melee, he's not going to do him wrong. I honestly don't think Fire Emblem needs any roster cuts. People whine and complain, but let's face facts- Fire Emblem has a rotating protagonist. Games like Zelda and Mario don't. Their cast grows at a much smaller rate. And after all the love the series has gotten since Smash 4's conclusion, I believe Fire Emblem is reaching A-tier as far as Nintendo IPs go.

SorrowOfAcheron

Smash Journeyman
Here we go with another hype train.
I remember when we finally found out that Roy wasn't in the base Smash 4, and Marth had his color palette; sad times.
Then we got him as DLC, and here we are!

I really want them to use a mix of the outfit we have now and the more mercenary-looking one from the Awakening DLC. I really don't like the leg parts on the current outfit.
Also I liked how his Melee voice sounded more than Smash 4's.

As for moveset changes, I think everything he has looks cool. The only thing I'd change would be his d-air (don't like how small the sword looks for that sort of animation) and maybe change his counter to a horizontal fire slash.
Melee attacks have a normal counter range and countering ranged attacks creates a longer fire slash.

I'm so excited for this pre-release time, can't wait to see what's in store.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I just honestly can't see a character getting cut twice really. If there's going to be cuts it'll be from the Smash 4 newcomer pool. Lets not forget that Roy was going to be in Brawl as well.

Also Roy's Melee DTilt needs to be reinstated in to this game. It's a crime it got brushed aside in Smash 4.

Roberk

Smash Champion

Well, I'd think that FE as a series owes so much to Smash that it must have a lot of crossover with it. Plus, pretty much almost anyone in a Nintendo franchise fanbase would like Smash.

Corrin got hate because they had no veteran status to protect them from the general Smash community's FE hate. Plus, they are widely considered to be the worst lord of the franchise (fun fact: sometimes Roy has this title.) in the general FE community.

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
I'm not expecting him to return but will be pleasantly surprised if he does. I loved Roy a lot in both Melee and Smash 4. He always felt wayyyyy better than Marth for me. Like, I was legitimately shocked the first time I saw a Melee tier list and thought people had lost their minds.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Yes, Roy's still my boy. And I don't want him to be cut.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
Well you don't need to tell me that. I've lived through the days of 2015 to know all about that.
Those were some crazy times

ROY IS MAH BOY

SUPPORT ROY FOR SMASH

ROY FOR PRESIDENT

...alright all jokes aside, I want Roy back without any excuses this time around.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Those were some crazy times

ROY IS MAH BOY

SUPPORT ROY FOR SMASH

ROY FOR PRESIDENT

...alright all jokes aside, I want Roy back without any excuses this time around.
You mean when I made a list of 20 DLC characters right? All of which were different Roy's.

Roy
Dark Roy
Dr. Roy
Metal Roy
Young Roy (from FE7's epilogue)
Genderbent Roy
Astronaut Roy
Hollywood Roy
President Roy
Roy from your neighborhood

I think those were the Roy's I listed along with some others.

D

Deleted member

You mean when I made a list of 20 DLC characters right? All of which were different Roy's.

Roy
Dark Roy
Dr. Roy
Metal Roy
Young Roy (from FE7's epilogue)
Genderbent Roy
Astronaut Roy
Hollywood Roy
President Roy
Roy from your neighborhood

I think those were the Roy's I listed along with some others.
You forgot the best Roy, King K. Roy:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
All this talk about Roy's and I forgot about this guy...

DeiSakuChris

Smash Apprentice
Roy in Smash 4 felt so damn good to play as. It'd be stupid to cut him again and then bring him again in the next game. He needs to be in the base game, period.

Top Bottom