• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Merlinus's Caravan: Roy Social

RandomAce

Smash Champion
I was watching some gameplay footage of our boy, and I realized that they actually changed Roy’s forward throw to something completely different than Marth’s:

26CF967B-3ACA-43C9-A35A-B635E69078A0.jpeg

Now instead of throwing the opponent to the ground in front of him, Roy does a forward shoulder bash instead. Chrom also has this as well. The damage output during the match was 5.3%.

So far, the angle the throw seems to send the opponent in is lower than in Smash 4, and Roy seems to be able to act out of it a lot faster as well. I’m not sure how much this will affect Roy and a lot is speculation on my part, but it was an interesting change Sakurai did to already from him and Marth that I wanted to comment on.

Kirbyfan391

Smash Champion
I was pleasantly surprised seeing how many people played Roy in the latest gameplay footage! It'd be cool if Roy turns out good too to boot.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
Roy’s been getting a whole lot of attention lately, and for good reason, too. Ultimate’s game mechanics seem to really benefit our boy.

Also, can we talk about Ray Chase being Roy again? Does this make anyone else extremely happy?

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Am gonna give Roy a chance yet again. He looks lots of fun.

Flon

Smash Cadet
To be honest, he's looking incredible yet still so similar to his last appearance—which is great! It just goes to show how far a design can flourish with some tweaks and engine modifications. I always believed in his design.

He has been getting a lot of attention lately, which is nice and also somewhat worrying. It seemed for years I kept hearing about how Roy is fundamentally a poor design because of his sweetspot design, but right now he's looking pretty solid.

I might even replay Fire Emblem 6 in anticipation. The map design in that game is so good.

FE_SLaDe

Smash Apprentice
To be honest, he's looking incredible yet still so similar to his last appearance—which is great! It just goes to show how far a design can flourish with some tweaks and engine modifications. I always believed in his design.

He has been getting a lot of attention lately, which is nice and also somewhat worrying. It seemed for years I kept hearing about how Roy is fundamentally a poor design because of his sweetspot design, but right now he's looking pretty solid.

I might even replay Fire Emblem 6 in anticipation. The map design in that game is so good.
I've always wanted to play FE 6 but didn't feel comfortable emulating it. I'm hoping they remake it for switch or 3DS like FE2 so I can get my hands on it.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Alright, so if you watched ZeRo's Ultimate tier list, you'd know that he put Roy in top tier.

I really hope he's actually correct this time.
I would be very skeptical on that. Roy also looked very promising when he was first released as DLC for Smash 4 and look at how that turned out. I hope he at least got some solid buffs this time. I also do not think Chrom is as bad as people says he is going to be.

Project M shows that Roy's moveset style can be done well. He is very fun in that game.

As for FE6, I would concur on that game's map design. Most of the maps in that game were memorable to me.

I've always wanted to play FE 6 but didn't feel comfortable emulating it. I'm hoping they remake it for switch or 3DS like FE2 so I can get my hands on it.
FE6 is actually among my favorite games in the Fire Emblem series. I think the game is really needs a remake due to Roy's return in Smash Bros.

godogod

Smash Ace
I do think that Roy got some really good buffs this time around and the overall universal changes for most characters benefit him greatly. If all the changes listed on smash wiki are true and are here on day 1 based on people playing him and noticing the frame data, I think he got a significant buff from Smash 4. Is it enough to put him on the highest tiers? I don't know. But I think he'll at least be mid tier.

liudaepic

Smash Rookie
Tbh I'm a bit upset that they gave him an English VA.

I play FEH and I have Brave Roy (still waiting for Legendary Roy). I think Ray Chase did a pretty good job voicing him there. He didn't make Roy sound too old. His battle cries made him sound ok, like 25 or something. His actual speaking lines are even better, they make him actually sound like a 15 year old.

But in Smash Ultimate, the many battle cries Ray Chase voiced for Roy weren't that fitting. He made Roy sound like he's 50. Even his taunts make Roy sound old. Only the victory quotes actually made Roy sound 15.

I was perfectly happy with Jun Fukuyama's voice, because all of his recordings made Roy sound 15. But I guess you can't get everything you want in a character. I wish you could toggle voices for each individual character, but I guess you can't get everything you want in a video game. Oh well :(

Still, I will happily trade in Roy's youthful voice if that means he'll be viable and on the same level as Marth.

Long Live the Lion :ultroy:

SorrowOfAcheron

Smash Journeyman
Tbh I'm a bit upset that they gave him an English VA.

I play FEH and I have Brave Roy (still waiting for Legendary Roy). I think Ray Chase did a pretty good job voicing him there. He didn't make Roy sound too old. His battle cries made him sound ok, like 25 or something. His actual speaking lines are even better, they make him actually sound like a 15 year old.

But in Smash Ultimate, the many battle cries Ray Chase voiced for Roy weren't that fitting. He made Roy sound like he's 50. Even his taunts make Roy sound old. Only the victory quotes actually made Roy sound 15.

I was perfectly happy with Jun Fukuyama's voice, because all of his recordings made Roy sound 15. But I guess you can't get everything you want in a character. I wish you could toggle voices for each individual character, but I guess you can't get everything you want in a video game. Oh well :(

Still, I will happily trade in Roy's youthful voice if that means he'll be viable and on the same level as Marth.

Long Live the Lion :ultroy:
I actually agree with you.
I think the VA was good in general but it makes Roy seem really old voice-wise, even if he basically had to mature in his game to lead his army to victory.

It really puts me off.
Do we know if there's dual audio? I wish we had his Melee voice still.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
I actually agree with you.
I think the VA was good in general but it makes Roy seem really old voice-wise, even if he basically had to mature in his game to lead his army to victory.

It really puts me off.
Do we know if there's dual audio? I wish we had his Melee voice still.
There's dual audio, but it also changes the language of the menus among other things. No individual character voice toggling so far.

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
I really like Ray as Roy personally. Its makes me think of Roy as an adult more than anything else. Though it does bother me that Roy now has a deeper voice than Ike, nothing really wrong with Greg Chun, just prefer Jason's deeper Ike.

liudaepic

Smash Rookie
A few things:
So Kurogane Hammer has tested the game already, and Roy/Chrom have:
-4th in air speed
-10th in fall speed
-12th in run speed
-26th in walk speed
-36th in weight
Right now Roy is insanely fast and he's not too light or heavy either. Definitely still the definition of rushdown.

Also, they finally gave Roy an entry on the Smash Bros Blog.

godogod

Smash Ace
Can Anyone who unlocked Roy *confirm if he really got a sweetspot buff on the hilt?

Last edited:

liudaepic

Smash Rookie
Roy's Flare Blade appears to have been buffed. Of course, we all know that he can turn the move around now, which is useful for when the opponent jumps off the ledge behind Roy.

Fully charged, the move deals 72% damage and 12% recoil damage. Assuming the damage multipliers are correct, the move will deal 60% damage and 10% recoil damage in >2 player matches. Does anyone know if this is true?

SorrowOfAcheron

Smash Journeyman
I got Roy yesterday and I feel like the sweetspot is a good size.
Blazer kinda feels a bit weak, honestly.

Turrin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Turrin
3DS FC
4425-1919-5126
Hey everyone, is there a Discord for us Roy players that I can join? I wanna get in on some discussion and share new tech and combos people find. Roy feels amazing so far, his lack of landing lag makes his combos so much better than in 4, and the new dash mechanics feel incredible!

ShadyGT

Smash Cadet
Hey everyone, is there a Discord for us Roy players that I can join? I wanna get in on some discussion and share new tech and combos people find. Roy feels amazing so far, his lack of landing lag makes his combos so much better than in 4, and the new dash mechanics feel incredible!
also looking for a roy discord

godogod

Smash Ace
Just unlocked Roy and he feels great. I'm not sure if his side special is easier to link than Marth's, because it does feel like it to me sometimes. Maybe it's a placebo, or perhaps I'm not taking the hilt sweetspot differences into account. Should be easier to avoid all hits from the edge of the sword, no?

The DanMan051

Banned via Warnings
I was watching some gameplay footage of our boy, and I realized that they actually changed Roy’s forward throw to something completely different than Marth’s:

View attachment 176557
Now instead of throwing the opponent to the ground in front of him, Roy does a forward shoulder bash instead. Chrom also has this as well. The damage output during the match was 5.3%.

So far, the angle the throw seems to send the opponent in is lower than in Smash 4, and Roy seems to be able to act out of it a lot faster as well. I’m not sure how much this will affect Roy and a lot is speculation on my part, but it was an interesting change Sakurai did to already from him and Marth that I wanted to comment on.
Super, super late but IIRC that's also Marth's now.

AdventCross

Smash Rookie
also looking for a roy discord

Roy/Chrom Discord can be found here.

Also, hey everyone, it's Cross. I haven't been active since Brawl, and it's good to be back on the boards (though I used to be more active on the Ike boards on my old account). Looking forward to working and playing with you all moving forward.

Mark The Page

Smash Apprentice
Roy feels like such a bummer to play in Ultimate. In Smash 4, landing just about anything with Roy was a guaranteed three hit combo. Now his knockbacks leave the opponent just out of reach (of his sweetspot or of any hitbox), and his down throw was nerfed.

I think that's why Chrom is so much better than Roy--there's little point in using Roy if we can no longer capitalize on the sweetspots of his non-lethal attacks. All of his tools are less rewarding, whereas Chrom's slightly lower launch power still allows for combos.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I am personally really enjoying Roy in Ultimate. Four years ago, I would never have imagined that not only would Roy become DLC for Smash 4, but he would also return for the next game alongside every veteran in the series ever, but also Ridley as well (whom I had lost nearly all hope in ever happening after November 2014).

On a side note, I want to say I do like Ray Chase's performance as Roy in Ultimate. It seems he really tried to emulate Jun Fukuyama's work while offering bits of his own take as well. Fukuyama will always be Roy to me, but Ray Chase did a very commendable job in my opinion. He really captures Roy's fiery spirit well in my opinion. Smash 4/Ultimate's Roy is clearly an older incarnation to the character, so his voice being deeper than many other Fire Emblem characters in Ultimate does not bother me. Like Fukuyama's Roy, Chase's Roy has one of the most memorable KO screams in the whole roster, and that is impressive for a roster with over 80 characters (since alts are included). A fun fact about Ray Chase is that he said Roy was his Melee main. Pretty funny he ended up eventually voicing a character he played when he was younger.

When Roy returned for Smash 4, it was such a profound miracle. The conventional wisdom was that he had almost no chance of returning, yet it happened. The feeling of having one of the characters you cherished from a prior game return after being cut and them returning when you thought most hope was lost was incredible. That is why it became one of my hopes that somehow the next game in the series would not only not cut anyone, but also manage to bring back everyone. I wanted every veteran fanbase to enjoy what we Roy fans received. However, I considered that a pipe dream and unlikely to ever happen. However, it miraculously did.

Roy is now fighting alongside the entire Melee cast as well as everyone who was introduced in Brawl, Smash 4, and Ultimate. I am glad that fans of every veteran got to see their favorite return for at least one more time.

JesseMcCloud

AKA Zessei, Herald of Fate
NNID
JesseMcCloud
3DS FC
3652-0660-4917
On a side note, I want to say I do like Ray Chase's performance as Roy in Ultimate. It seems he really tried to emulate Jun Fukuyama's work while offering bits of his own take as well. Fukuyama will always be Roy to me, but Ray Chase did a very commendable job in my opinion. He really captures Roy's fiery spirit well in my opinion. Smash 4/Ultimate's Roy is clearly an older incarnation to the character, so his voice being deeper than many other Fire Emblem characters in Ultimate does not bother me. Like Fukuyama's Roy, Chase's Roy has one of the most memorable KO screams in the whole roster, and that is impressive for a roster with over 80 characters (since alts are included). A fun fact about Ray Chase is that he said Roy was his Melee main. Pretty funny he ended up eventually voicing a character he played when he was younger.
Yeah, on his twitter he said it was an honor and basically a dream come true to get to be the official English voice for his old Melee main.

KenMeister

Smash Lord
NNID
KenMeister
3DS FC
3609-1224-8364
So with with us approaching month 3 of Ultimate, what are opinions of Roy looking like currently so far?

liudaepic

Smash Rookie
Well, ZeRo said Roy > Chrom. Apparently the Chromicide was nerfed in update 2.0.0 and the ledgeguarding meta is picking up. He also said that Roy's sourspots have combo potential.

I'm liking the way things are going. Roy seems to be finding his way back into contention.

But I'm not happy until they give us Legendary Roy in FEH :)

ILOVESMASH

Smash Ace
NNID
Marioman123450
3DS FC
3368-1022-7382
What are roys worst matchups ? Tryna pick up a secondary.
I find characters with longer swords to be pretty difficult to fight, like Marth, Lucina, and Shulk. Projectile characters aren't as bad as in smash 4 since roy has a faster Dash -> shield, but can be annoying.

Justin Allen Goldschmidt

Smash Journeyman
What are roys worst matchups ? Tryna pick up a secondary.
My Roy weirdly hates Olimar the most, but even weirder is that Falco is my Olimar slayer. Falco secondary covers most of my troublesome matchups so far, though of course I also play Lucina because I have the experience from the last game (and playing Marth and Roy for years).

Last edited:
Top Bottom