• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Merlinus's Caravan: Roy Social

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I hope Roy has some mad early kill percents this time lol. Even if it's relatively broken.

At the very least I want Roy to be tourney viable. The fact that his double edged dance is buffed should help him a lot in that regard.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Since Ike's also been looking to be buffed, it'd be pretty annoying if Roy would keep getting short end of the stick again regarding tournament viability and buffs so far.

godogod

Smash Ace
Interesting that Link's blade is longer. Perhaps Roy getting a longer one would help his approach options

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Interesting that Link's blade is longer. Perhaps Roy getting a longer one would help his approach options
It certainly would. Roy suffers from range issues as is. Having a longer blade would be a major fix on that issue.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Was low-key hoping Roy would get a fire projectile ala Binding Blade but I guess it wasn't meant to be haha.

Last edited:

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I have not been able to comment about Roy's return for Ultimate. I have been very hyped not only for Ridley finally making it in (my most wanted newcomer for over 17 years), but also the fact that Sakurai and his team decided to bring back every veteran ever. Ultimate indeed.

We are extremely fortunate that his has happened. I feel also happy for the fans of Wolf, Snake, and Ice Climbers to see their characters of choice make their return, especially so for the fans of Squirtle, Ivysaur, Pichu, and Young Link whom had faced an extremely uphill battle for return much like our boy did for Smash 4. Fighting for Roy's return for over seven years has given me a lot of empathy to the fanbases of cut veterans. It is extremely nice that we will have EVERYONE for this game.

Ridley finally being in makes it even better. As it is, I am absolutely thrilled with this roster.

I basically stopped posting once Roy was confirmed for Smash 4 back in June 2015 (I made only a few posts since then, only one in 2016, and none in 2017).

I intended for Smash 4 to be the final game in the series I would do any speculation for. I have lost nearly all of my interest in speculation and anticipation for future Smash Bros. titles. Nearly every character I wanted in has gotten in, and the few left that I care for, have sub-50% prospect of getting in at this point (most notably and unfortunately, Ridley).

However, due to this Smash Bros. installment having a very small speculation window from its unveil (Brawl's unveil to release date was 1 year and nearly nine months, Smash 4 was a year and three months, and assuming Smash Switch does release in December 2018 at the latest, it will be only nine months). At this point (ignoring how long the DLC period is, assuming there is DLC), there are only eight months of speculation left.

During the pre-Smash 4 period, I spent a lot of my time in the Smash Bros. community trying my best to support Roy. I was glad to see him return in Smash 4 despite all odds. I was really satisfied with his re-design and the tweaks made to his moveset.

Hopefully, Our Boy gets to return in Smash Bros. for the Switch (as well as all the other veterans from Smash 4, in addition to the cut Brawl veterans). Roy despite being a clone, is a very memorable character in Smash Bros. I was drawn to the Fire Emblem series due to myself maining him in Melee.

Even though there is nothing I am looking forward to with this upcoming Smash Bros. (I do not even have a Switch yet), it is my hope Roy will return yet again for this installment (as well as the rest of Smash 4's cast).

Roy's Our Boy! Together We Ride Once Again!
Its amazing how much can change in a little over two months. I was very pessimistic on Ridley getting in, I was deeply concerned about many veterans (including Roy) making it back, and I had little hype and interest in the game in general. Thank you again to Sakurai and the Ultimate team for exceeding my expectations completely.

We only have six more months of waiting before we get to play another new Smash Bros. installment, a wait not heard of since Melee.

Holy crap it's Chrono! Welcome back!

This really does feel like 2015 all over again.
Thank you. Fortunately this time it was not the struggle it was like it was during the pre-Smash 4 period. This is the first time ever, where the fans of all veteran fanbases did not have to worry about "who is coming back". Now speculation can be focused on entirely newcomers. To think we are getting a new Smash Bros. game less than three years avft

Master tactician has arrived.
Thank you for the compliment. I really appreciate it. Fortunately, the two things I was hoping for the most (no cuts and Ridley being added in), two things I was doubtful on, ended up happening were even exceeded (even veterans with small fanbases like Squirtle, Ivysaur, Pichu, and Young Link were able to return). I am looking forward to seeing this Smash Bros. game to release. I am curious who else they end up adding at this point. I am getting this game day one just for Ridley finally being added in alone.

I'm a bit worried about Roy's inclusion given his history in the Smash Bros. series since his debut was last min addition -> cut -> DLC addition. So really for Smash 5 its worrisome mostly whether Roy will be high enough priority to make it in time for the release+possible DLC window rather than consideration for the roster. But I guess his popularity evidenced in recent days and potential resurgence with a possible remake has me hopeful.

Really hope he makes it in though, it's my main concern with Smash 5. He is my favorite video game character of all time, and the experience of finding out his inclusion in Smash 4 I will probably never be able to put it into words. For Smash 5 if he's concerned, it will probably not be that feeling, more of a relief that he will potentially be a shoo in for future Smash games and will have his place secured hopefully, like for probably most other recurring vets.

Also great to see you back, Chrono! In the periods of Smash 4 speculation where FE character speculation was mostly Awakening centered, the leading arguments and support you had for Roy really inspired me to have hope for Our Boy in the game, in a convincing way. And while it took some time, his DLC addition was the culmination of all that. So, despite what his uh, "haters" may say about him being unpopular, being a weak lord in FE[which personally, I think has its charm tbh], being too clone-y, that other FE characters deserve it more, it's that unwavering optimism that also represents Roy to hold on to which I believe will pay off! Here's to hoping we see Roy in all his glory once again, with t3h ph1r3!
It warms my heart that my words were able to inspire hope during those dark times. Most people had written off Roy's prospects for return, but I felt differently and felt that Chrom did not offer as much to become a newcomer and that Roy's merits made him a worthy addition even if a theoretical Awakening newcomer was added. However, it was the continued optimism and perseverance of other Roy fans here that made me want to continue to fight during the twilight of the pre-Smash 4 period when things looked their bleakest. Thank you.

Looks like for another Smash Bros. game, we can proudly say:

ROY'S OUR BOY!

TheSpnBrm

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4871-7612-2614
I'm pretty pleased with the changes made in SSBU as a whole. It looks Sakurai embracing the idea that Smash as a Fighting game has allowed for the needed speed but at is base it's simplistic in the best way it can be. : Edit, so I just noticed something looking into those changes being that taunting can be canceled, Someone need to look into that old slide thing Roy can do currently that was useless before. xD

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Back in my Melee days, me and my brother liked to play as the FE duo, him as Marth (black yellow skin) and me as Roy (golden armor skin). We, of course, had no idea who they actually were at the time.
Him coming back to Smash 4 was glorious, and seeing him back in Ultimate is even better. Can't wait to do the duo fights again, cause dang the nostalgia.

RandomAce

Smash Champion
I’ll happily play Roy as soon as I get him in Smash Ultimate. Idk why they decided to give Roy that face and pose, but I like it!

Guineapig126

Smash Journeyman
Man, I make one decision to check the Smash Ultimate boards, and I find this. Seeing all of these people from before makes it feel like 2015 again, as many have said. Seeing Roy pop up in the trailer for SSBU was just as hype as the leaks from the first time around, since I thought he was a goner (I guess pessimism is a part of my personality at this point). I know most activity has moved to the Discord, but I guess I’ll still check back on the boards now that I see there’s actually life. It’s nice seeing that many of the people from 2015 are still active in the community, and I’m looking forward to this new game with everyone!

Last edited:

SethTheMage

Smash Ace
NNID
SethTheMage
I think the overall changes to dash could help Roy a bit. He will likely have one of the best dash dances, as well as the ability to dtilt and fsmash out of dash. If dtilt is still good at setting up tech situations, Roy might have a scarier tech chase game (though, I dunno if fsmash out of dash will work against opponents rolling away). At the very least, dtilt out of dash is a good tool for approaching and stage control.

Peeton

Smash Journeyman
NNID
starwolfe
I’m more than happy that Roy came back in Smash Ultimate! I love how he’s got a lot more fire to his attacks now! Here’s hoping he’s better than ever!

Iridium

Smash Hero
I think it would be funny if :ultroy: could get jank early kills with the first hit of Blazer like in Melee for example again. Anyway. considering the fact that I never had the chance to play as him, I really want to make Roy one of my secondaries (I might have many!). Also, can someone show me any of his projectiles, for I have never seen them.

Last edited:
Well ****. I planned to come back for smashboards at the earliest on release to go learn characters and all that. . . but took a little visit after the direct.

With Chrom here, my thread title doesnt really work anymore. . .shame 'cause I liked it. But damn is it worth it go get Chrom in.
:061:

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
Well ****. I planned to come back for smashboards at the earliest on release to go learn characters and all that. . . but took a little visit after the direct.

With Chrom here, my thread title doesnt really work anymore. . .shame 'cause I liked it. But damn is it worth it go get Chrom in.
Well most other echoes seem to have their own separate socials

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208

If you want the old title back, I could just turn Chrom's thread into his social. :p

GunBlaze

Smash Lord
Slippi.gg
GBLZ#778
I just wonder what else differentiates the two.

Lack of a sweetspot (and ph1r3) seems to be a thing, in addition to a different Up Special, as well as a few animation changes (Smash 4 jab, proper grip for F-Tilt).

Iridium

Smash Hero
I hope Roy ends up being good. He's probably the FE character I'm most excited for, even if Marth is one of my planned 7 mains. Also, it's been very quiet here.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I've been rather busy working on Roy's moveset from Smash Wii U, and I think I might know one way to make him more usable.

royhitbox1.png

royhitbox2.png

Notice how Roy's sword has three hitboxes attached to it for most of his attacks? The base deals the most damage, the blade center deals 7/8 the base's damage, and the blade tip deals 3/4 the base's damage. The center and tip also have weaker BKB than the base (except for Double-Edge Dance), but they would still deal enough knockback to at least have some KO potential in them.

The d-air can only meteor smash with the base; the center and tip simply send fighters flying upwards at an 80 degree angle.

In regards to Counter, it no longer requires a sweetspot to be effective, so even a tipped hit can be highly damaging if Roy blocks a strong attack.

Last edited:

godogod

Smash Ace
some videos of roy

maybe we can get some frame data info?

Last edited:

Seraphim.

Smash Ace
NNID
Seraphim35
Roy landing lag changes:

Fair 13 > 8
Nair 11 > 9 (Taken from Chrom footage, but it's probably the same)
Bair 16 > 10
Uair 14 > 9
Dair 23 >14

Roy also seems to have gotten damage buffs on some of his moves as well, most likely due to Chrom being a thing.

godogod

Smash Ace
Roy landing lag changes:

Fair 13 > 8
Nair 11 > 9 (Taken from Chrom footage, but it's probably the same)
Bair 16 > 10
Uair 14 > 9
Dair 23 >14

Roy also seems to have gotten damage buffs on some of his moves as well, most likely due to Chrom being a thing.
That down air one is pretty significant. Well most are... Do you reckon they'd help his neutral approaches?
BTW, I'm loving the added flame effects... like up b.

Seraphim.

Smash Ace
NNID
Seraphim35
That down air one is pretty significant. Well most are... Do you reckon they'd help his neutral approaches?
BTW, I'm loving the added flame effects... like up b.
Ultimate's engine really benefits Roy, SH Fair/Nair should be safe on shield with the reduced landing lag and running Dtilt is also looking to be a strong option for Roy.

I expect his neutral to be much better than in Smash 4.

godogod

Smash Ace
Ultimate's engine really benefits Roy, SH Fair/Nair should be safe on shield with the reduced landing lag and running Dtilt is also looking to be a strong option for Roy.

I see..

Compared to prepatch 1.1.4 on Smash 4, his landing lag changes are incredibly significant. Most of them got halved.. Absolutely insane. Still, even from smash 4 post patch, its impressive.

Fair 15 > 13 > 8
Nair 13 > 11> 9
Bair 19 > 16 > 10
Uair 16 > 14 > 9
Dair 28 > 23 > 14

Here's hoping his hilt sweet spot has been enlarged, and he has better recovery options also.. I really hope the first hit from double edge dance slows his fall speed in mid air like melee.

Last edited:

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
I see..

Compared to prepatch 1.1.4 on Smash 4, his landing lag changes are incredibly significant. Most of them got halved.. Absolutely insane. Still, even from smash 4 post patch, its impressive.

Fair 15 > 13 > 8
Nair 13 > 11> 9
Bair 19 > 16 > 10
Uair 16 > 14 > 9
Dair 28 > 23 > 14

Here's hoping his hilt sweet spot has been enlarged, and he has better recovery options also.. I really hope the first hit from double edge dance slows his fall speed in mid air like melee.
Hoo neller, Roy was given pretty significant attention he needed. I'm so glad!

(Especially after hearing what happened to :ultbowserjr:... yikes)

Totes, I just hope he's still not going to lag behind other rushdown characters due sort of taking after their style as before, since the engine changes also applies to them. But maybe I'm jumping to conclusions too fast.

Last edited:

liudaepic

Smash Rookie
Brand new actual gameplay footage of Roy has been released on YouTube in the form of the Nintendo Live event in Japan. Just search "roy smash ultimate" and you'll find quite a few videos. I enjoyed watching them, mostly because he won basically all of the matches.

Also some encouraging news: Konbu won the tournament using Roy, so maybe our boy is now viable!

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Brand new actual gameplay footage of Roy has been released on YouTube in the form of the Nintendo Live event in Japan. Just search "roy smash ultimate" and you'll find quite a few videos. I enjoyed watching them, mostly because he won basically all of the matches.

Also some encouraging news: Konbu won the tournament using Roy, so maybe our boy is now viable!
Pretty impressed about these news, I'm more excited for the boy than ever with all this!

The only odd problem was that Roy's F-Smash isn't doing any shield damage. Overcharging bug? I hope so...

MysticKnives

Smash Ace
Roy’s a pretty cool dude and he looks better this time around. Glad to see potential buffs

liudaepic

Smash Rookie
The reason Roy's F-smash didn't do shield damage was because Richter perfect-shielded it.

BTW the new perfect-shielding technique is to release the shield button when the attack connects, instead of activating shield when the attack connects.

Last edited:

godogod

Smash Ace
The reason Roy's F-smash didn't do shield damage was because Richter perfect-shielded it.

BTW the new perfect-shielding technique is to release the shield button when the attack connects, instead of activating shield when the attack connects.
I'm pretty sure it wasn't at Roy's hilt either.

edit: I check smash wiki pretty often.. Wanted to add that since I checked on roy's page yesterday, someone made some updates to Roy's smash wiki page. They said that Roy's hilt sweet spot has increased in size, as well as increased air acceleration. This is probably the same person who said Marth's tipper sweet spot increased in size as well. Not sure how anyone here can confirm this.

Last edited:

FE_SLaDe

Smash Apprentice
Not sure if it's gotten outside of the discord yet, but Fair actually auto-cancels from short hop too as long as you don't fast fall it. Check 2:46 of this vod.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggXefbN-WYw

Roy's going to be able to apply insane amounts of pressure with his changes.

godogod

Smash Ace
^^Thats mentioned on the smash wiki page too. Forgot to mention. Sounds great.

I really hope the bigger sweet spot is especially true as well

Last edited:
Top Bottom