• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Menu Discussion

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend

how do you want Smash Switch's menu to look? I want it to look like none of the previous ones. specifically, a 90's-esqe colourful aesthetic with lots of pinks and greens, but I think it's most likely to look like a mix of Smash U and Melee's.

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion
I would love to see Melee's menu return. Smash U's menu was a mess. Brawl was OK.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
Idk what happened after Kirby air ride but for some reason Sakurai has always liked that menu design in brawl and smash 4 and it's one thing I question why.

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Idk what happened after Kirby air ride but for some reason Sakurai has always liked that menu design in brawl and smash 4 and it's one thing I question why.
From what I heard, Sakurai's wife does the menu themes in his games. I don't know if she started doing that since Kirby's Air Ride or even before that, but that's probably why.

Last edited:

Mario123311

Smash Ace
I want Melee’s dark BG and bright color menu theme back. Wasn’t too keen of Brawl’s.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I have a feeling we're in for a game with a darker color scheme again, teasers are always made to give the audience a fitting first impression, and the two colors that really stick out to everyone atm are black and orange (or red, depends on who you ask), so I think those will be the key colors in the game's visual design. In that case the more playful menu design of Brawl/Smash 4 wouldn't fit the serious feel that the color combination gives off, I'm not sure if they'd go back to a more traditional menu, but I'm not expecting the same kind of menu again that we've gotten in the past two installments.

G-Unit

Smash Cadet
I want the option to tilt and/or rotate menus again. It was not in SSB4.

Fuqua

Smash Apprentice
Much prefer 64 and melee's menu design. Brawl's menu was saved by having amazing background music, that alone makes me keep it in good memories. Smash 4's menu design reminds me too much of the very bland menu design nintendo has been using for almost all their games since the Wii u. Just compare mario odysseys menu with sunshine, or breath of the wilds menu with wind waker, for some reason nintendo has decided that having good menus is no longer important, quite sad.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352

King9999

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mmking9999
3DS FC
2105-8754-7747
Switch FC
2722-8799-3295
I think they'll go for a minimalist design this time around, like how they have the current logo.

EpicElliot

Smash Apprentice
God I hope they go with a smash 64/melee style or let us have/make custom menus (heck I'd like to be able to make a custom roster screen & put characters in any order i want :p )

WertQuadNine

Smash Journeyman
(heck I'd like to be able to make a custom roster screen & put characters in any order i want :p )
That's actually a pretty cool idea... While not entirely necessary, I'd be super down for that.

On the topic of menus... Yeah, Smash 4 was a mess. There are a ton of modes I've barely touched due to either not knowing they exist or just not knowing where to find them. Any kind of change is improvement tbh

FarquadMoses

Smash Cadet
I like the colorfulness of Brawl and Smash 4 It really stands out. I also like when there are figures in the background moving. Smash 4 I hard to navigate around. I get lost. Instead of putting the 1 player stuff in games & more it should be on the main screen.

DBPirate

Smash Apprentice
I think Brawl's menu made it fairly easy to find everything. Smash 4's menu was a mess. It might be a little difficult to do something like Melee's menu given how many modes might be included (such as if they bring back Smash Run).

Last edited:

AncientArk

Smash Apprentice
I'd love to see Melee's menu return.
Did you folks ever see the Melee Boundry Break episode?
Check this stuff out, the menus are really freaking cool when seen from different angles.
I guess I'm extending that to character and stage select too, but I want this style to return.

Last edited:

RespawningJesus

So Zetta slow!
NNID
RespawningJesus
3DS FC
1590-5236-9299
Switch FC
SW-5266-0424-0233
Even though Melee's menus were the best, I wouldn't mind if we got a return to the Brawl style of menus. Just don't make it like Smash 4's again, since I remember getting lost in the menus for the first week or so, since the places certain things were located in was not intuitive.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
I don't really care too much about the look of the menus. It's more important that they are organized well. Here's how I'd do it.

MAIN MENU
VS. MODE
>Smash
>8 Player Smash
>Special Smash
>Smash Run​
>Friends
>Worldwide
>Regional
>Tournaments
>Spectate​
GAMES & MORE
>Classic
>Adventure
>All-Star
>Special Orders
>Stadium
>Home-Run Contest
>Break the Targets
>Target Blast
>Multi-Man Smash
>Boss Rush​
>Training
>Custom
>Stage Builder​
VAULT
>Trophies
>Challenges
>Records
>Album
>Movies
>Sound Test​
OPTIONS
>Controls
>Sound
>Internet
>My Music​
MANUAL​

G-Unit

Smash Cadet
If the menus were to be redone, here's how it would be:

MODE SELECT

1P MODE
  • Regular Match
    • Simple
    • Classic
    • Adventure
    • All-Star*
    • World Tournament
      • Novice (3 rounds)
      • Adept (4 rounds)*
      • Advanced (5 rounds)*
    • Survival
    • Adventure Two (DLC)
  • Mission Mode
  • Stadium
    • Break The Car
    • Barrel Buster
    • Multi-Man Melee
    • Boss Battles (DLC)
  • Training Mode
  • Smash Tour
VS. MODE
  • VS Start
  • Tournament Mode
  • Rotation
  • Special Modes
  • Option
  • Ring Names
NETWORK BATTLE
  • For Fun
    • Ranked Match
    • Friendly Match
  • For Glory
    • Ranked Match
    • Friendly Match
  • Friends
  • Option
VAULT
  • Trophy Gallery
  • Sticker Ablum
  • Masterpieces
  • Replay
  • Stage Builder
  • Screenshots
  • Galaxian
    • Classic
    • Coin Launcher Remix
  • Custom Soundtracks
  • Checklist
OPTIONS
  • Flicker Free
  • Rumble Feature
  • Sound & Speakers
  • Language (English or Japanese)
  • Button Configuration
  • Screen Ratio (4:3 or 16:9)
  • Screen Position
  • Quick Select (Off uses 3D models in select screen, while On uses Melee-SSB4 Vanilla style select screen)
  • Backup Clear
DATA
  • VS Record
  • Sound Test*
  • CG Theatre
  • Gallery
  • Unlock History

nirvanafan

Smash Champion
Premium
If the menus were to be redone, here's how it would be:

MODE SELECT

1P MODE
  • Regular Match
    • Simple
    • Classic
    • Adventure
    • All-Star*
    • World Tournament
      • Novice (3 rounds)
      • Adept (4 rounds)*
      • Advanced (5 rounds)*
    • Survival
    • Adventure Two (DLC)
  • Mission Mode
  • Stadium
    • Break The Car
    • Barrel Buster
    • Multi-Man Melee
    • Boss Battles (DLC)
  • Training Mode
  • Smash Tour
VS. MODE
  • VS Start
  • Tournament Mode
  • Rotation
  • Special Modes
  • Option
  • Ring Names
NETWORK BATTLE
  • For Fun
    • Ranked Match
    • Friendly Match
  • For Glory
    • Ranked Match
    • Friendly Match
  • Friends
  • Option
VAULT
  • Trophy Gallery
  • Sticker Ablum
  • Masterpieces
  • Replay
  • Stage Builder
  • Screenshots
  • Galaxian
    • Classic
    • Coin Launcher Remix
  • Custom Soundtracks
  • Checklist
OPTIONS
  • Flicker Free
  • Rumble Feature
  • Sound & Speakers
  • Language (English or Japanese)
  • Button Configuration
  • Screen Ratio (4:3 or 16:9)
  • Screen Position
  • Quick Select (Off uses 3D models in select screen, while On uses Melee-SSB4 Vanilla style select screen)
  • Backup Clear
DATA
  • VS Record
  • Sound Test*
  • CG Theatre
  • Gallery
  • Unlock History
Sorry if this is off topic since this but I am just kind of curious on what you had in mind some of the modes you have, particularly Simple and World Tournament under Regular Match

Last edited:

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
Yeah not a fan of how colourful wii u's one was and the layout was a whole mess. But I prefer the light colours and straight lines it uses. Something maybe a lil like Mario kart 8's would be nicer imo.

none of the smash series menu's look all that good tbh.

Last edited:

G-Unit

Smash Cadet
Sorry if this is off topic since this but I am just kind of curious on what you had in mind some of the modes you have, particularly Simple and World Tournament under Regular Match
Simple Mode: 8-stage arcade mode with bonus stages after every two stages. No paths to select, and every opponent is randomized except the Final Stage (which is always Master Hand).

World Tournament: Reach the top of the brackets to win the coin/Gil jackpot. The announcer is completely different, and you play on a single stage for the whole World Tournament. It's 1-player only, and you get 7 CPs (Novice), 15 CPs (Adept) or 23 CPs (Advanced) depending on which Tournament setting you selected. The jackpot increases as the Tournament setting gets harder, too.

Top Bottom