• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mental Game.

buttlm

Smash Rookie
Hey Smashboards, I just went to my second local and lost both of my sets. I know that i should just expect that but i felt like i could beat the first guy i played but as soon as we started i got nervous and threw the game. Any tips to prevent this in the future? Thanks! :)

ECHOnce

Smash Lord
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5DA3RM5WAM&index=5&list=PLozaDKp8It3zDHjWDdDR_EpGcNFNcLBbQ
TL;DR - find ways to raise the skill/consistency/whatever bar of your worst play. You can do that through repeated experiences so you get used to playing at your worst, flowchart your play so you can fall back onto something you're comfortable with, find ways to focus and get out of playing your worst, etc. You'll probably have to do all three+others to get past it.

But you should also realize that blaming your losses on "worse play" can be bad. click. You can acknowledge that you weren't playing your best, but a loss is a loss, and it's better to move forward and accept that as your base level. That is...stop thinking about your average level from friendlies, because however true that is to your actual average - it's easy to be biased and think better/worse of ourselves - that's irrelevant if you can fall way below that for _____ reason in an important set. Be mad that your base is bad so you can't use "playing below my average" as an excuse, and then move from there.

Last edited:

Allorange

Smash Rookie
Usually when I lose i feel like I should've moved around more so i can react faster. Most of the time I stop moving then my opponent can do something that mostly involves mind games and completely mess with me. Just try and move around more and keep your opponent alert. Keep being consistent. And, try to mix up how you approach.

... i am really bad at giving advice. everything i said can be said much better from anyone else.

Last edited:
Top Bottom