• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project Melee XT v2.1 (18/6/2020: Lucina, better Snake, more stages, crash fixes!)

TDRR

Smash Journeyman
Melee XT (a.k.a Melee eXTended) v2.1
Lucina, an improved Snake and Yumi all join the Melee, a new CSS, plus 3 new stages to play in, are the highlights of this version!
With also massively increased stability, the ASL will now work correctly at all times and in all setups I've tested!

NOTE: This mod was released more than half a year before M-EX was even first announced, so the method for selecting new characters and new stages is similarly outdated. It doesn't work with Slippi either.

GXTE20-19.png

Melee XT is a mod designed to be fun for home play (non-crashy single player support, new characters) while adding also more tournament legal content (new tourney-legal stages). Ever seen a mod with new characters before? Me neither! (note, no longer holds true as of M-EX's release haha)

Features:
-Alternate stage loader, with a grand total of 22 new stages, stage hacks and model imports alike!
-New characters! (added as optional replacements for certain characters, which you can easily toggle in the debug menu)
-Custom debug menu (replaces Tournament Mode) with a full stage list and toggles for custom characters
-Because it is a mod installed via root-file modifications, it's compatible with 1.00, 1.01 and 1.02 all the same by upgrading their .dol to 1.02!
-Set menu music in Sound Test (your choice is saved to the memory card!)
-Up to 8-character Name Tags, press X to shift between uppercase and lowercase characters
-Project M style Stage Striking
-C-Stick works like it should in 1P mode
-Handicap now controls stocks and setting it to auto will automate crew battle mode
-Fight Rules are now automatically set to Tournament defaults, with a few exceptions, Pause is allowed, Friendly fire is off.

-More characters and stages!
-Toggles for more things

-In the Nintendo DS stage, CPUs will act like morons once they stand on the Stylus, or if you stand there, the CPUs will not be able to see you.

All characters, when enabled, do not change CSPs or icons in the CSS, instead, in the nametag box, the name of the custom character will display.
The characters you enabled will also be saved to the memory card, so you don't have to go to the debug menu every time you want to enable them.

GALE01-2.png
Solid Snake (goes over C. Falcon if enabled):
Home stage: none at the moment. Poor Snake.
Solid Snake, from the Metal Gear Solid series, joins the Melee! With his Smash 2 model, Snake has his look from around the time Melee came out, resembling his MGS1 appearance. Thanks to his super-detailed butt crack whole model, 4 players all as Snake may cause very noticeable lag in most stages. To be safe, you'll probably want to limit the Snakes to only two per match, unless your computer can keep up with that (pretty sure that you'll still need to raise the CPU clock override over 100%, however).

He doesn't run as fast as Falcon, but he has 4 new moves (and even more altered moves to make up for that! All are based on their Project M counterparts:
-F-Air: Snake lifts his leg over his head and quickly axe-swings it down, making for a powerful meteor smash (hitting with the foot hitbox causes a powerful spike!).

-U-tilt: Snake performs a quick uppercut with his left hand. With very low startup and fairly low endlag, it's a move that can be used for juggling opponents or to set up for a followup aerial attack with ease. U-Throw combos into this at low percentages, and functions as a K.O move at very high percentages.

-Side-B: Snake shoots a small tranquilizing projectile out of a (invisible yet somehow very glowy) gun that puts a grounded opponent to sleep, allowing for easy follow-ups and starting combos. Does not affect airborne opponents at all, so be very careful when you decide to use it!

-Neutral-B: Snake pulls out a grenade (actually just a green eyed nerfed Bob-omb) which he can hold for a longer time than in other games. You can throw it to extend/start combos, K.O at higher percents, or edgeguard. You can also keep it in your hand and if an opponent happens to hit it with an attack... it'll go boom with you two! Due to limitations, the grenade appears in your hand at frame 42 (last frame of the move!), so you have to be careful not to be hit during the pull animation.

GXTE20-24.png
Lucina (goes over Marth if enabled):
Home stage: Underground Akaneia
Lucina, from the Fire Emblem series, joins the Melee! She has a custom model based on her Awakening look made by Vert092. All of her moves are very close to those of Marth, but her Parallel Falchion does not have any sourspots, rather, the whole blade deals similar damage and knockback to Marth's tippered hitboxes, allowing for better consistency in combos but lower overall damage output and K.O potential per-hit.

-D-Air: Nerfed. Now, it's a powerful meteor smash, but only if you land the hit when the sword is pointing straight downward. This also removes the Ken Combo, which probably would have been far too easy to land with Lucina's hitboxes not requiring precise spacing anymore.

-Taunt: Win1 animation. Looks really cool!

GXTE20-25.png
Yumi (goes over Dr. Mario if enabled):
Home stage: Literally a Stage (close enough, lol)
Yumi joins the Melee! Not too much to say here, imagine a projectile-less Dr. Mario with a couple improved moves, and a larger head hitbox+hurtbox. That's it :p

-Neutral-B: A move that's very close to Falco's shine. It doesn't reflect anything, it can't be jump-cancelled, it doesn't stop your movement or slow your fall, but the trajectory and speed at which the hitbox comes out will certainly prove useful. Can only be acted out of after around 30 frames.

-D-Air: First few hits are an improved drill (they're better at keeping your opponent in if you aren't falling at high speeds), while the last half is a single weak meteor hitbox with electrical effect. Should be safer to use on-stage, and can be used as a K.O offstage if you REALLY want to humilliate your opponent (it'll probably fail so avoid that).

-Up-B: Final hitbox now has an electrical effect and deals more damage. With good positioning, can work as a risky K.O move.

-Taunt: Now the Win3 animation, noice.

But which stage is which?
By holding L or R while loading a stage, you will get one of these replacements (otherwise the vanilla stage loads up):
-Fourside --> Smashville Fourside (from SD Remix)
-Great Bay --> High tide at Great Bay (from SD Remix?)
-Hyrule Temple --> Skyrule (from SD Remix)
-Mushroom Kingdom --> Nintendo DS (made by Milun, textured by me)
-Mushroom Kingdom II --> Omega Mushroom Kingdom II (like Final Destination but with a bit with some timed elements) (from SD Remix)
-Green Greens --> Whispy's Battlegrounds (Similar to Pokemon Stadium) (from SD Remix)
-Yoshi's Island --> Mount Olympus (from SD Remix)
-Venom --> Metal Cavern M/HD (imported by Zankyou)
-Flat Zone --> Lylat Cruise (imported by Zankyou)
-Poke Floats --> Miiverse (imported by Zankyou)
-Icicle Mountain --> Metroid Labs (imported by Zankyou, improved by Achilles1515)
-Rainbow Cruise --> Hyrule Castle 64 (Good for doubles play, bad for 1vs1) (imported by Zankyou)
-Brinstar --> Ruins (imported by Zankyou)
-Kongo Jungle 64 --> Suzaku Castle (imported by Zankyou, improved by Achilles1515)
-Final Destination --> Smash 4 FD (imported by Zankyou)
-Yoshi's Story --> Yoshi's Fortune (imported by Zankyou)
-Big Blue --> Saffron City (imported by Zankyou)
-Mute City --> Literally a stage (made and imported by me)
-Battlefield --> Smash 4 Battlefield (imported by Zankyou)
-Yoshi's Island --> SD Remix Yoshi's Island (L button)
-Brinstar Depths --> Underground Akaneia (from Smash 2, imported by me)

Melee XT v2.1 changelog (18/6/2020):
-Added Yumi and Lucina as new characters! Both have an
edited moveset compared to their parent characters.

-Fixed a TON of crashes (among other weird bugs) with the ASL.
No idea how it even worked before! (I'm thankful it magically
did, though)

-Added Underground Akaneia (Fire Emblem characters' new home
stage), Smash 4 Battlefield, and SD Remix Yoshi's Island.

-New Character Select Screen with a beautiful "watery"
background, "XT v2.1" in the closed port textures, and also
dual CSPs for the XT characters, so you can see their costumes
too.

-Snake has recieved various changes, most notably his aerials
and throws have been tweaked to be much closer to PM's Snake,
Up and Down tilt have also recieved similar improvements and
Neutral B now pulls out a nerfed Bob-omb (similar to Snake's
N-B in Brawl/PM/Ult).
(NOTE: the Bob-omb nerf applies to all Bob-ombs, but ONLY if
Snake is enabled, if he's disabled then they behave as in vMelee)

-Snake's side-B has been nerfed, with slightly longer startup
(projectile comes out at frame 12 instead of 8), and it doesn't
affect airborne opponents at all (so it can be easily avoided
by jumping, shielding, spot dodging, rolling in Snake's
direction, etc).

-Literally a Stage is now Yumi's home stage (at least for now?)
and now has Urei by PUFFY as it's music track. Also now the
characters cast shadows on this stage. Adjusted blast zones, fixed
collision bugs (plus now left wall is walljumpable) and removed
a weird hurtbox on the right hand side off-stage.

-Fixed bug where the parent character's shadow model would
display where the new character's shadow model normally should.
(should also increase performance a bit)

-Smashville Fourside now is Achilles' modified version with toned
down background lights and tweaked camera, for more comfortable
play.

-Fixed some collision bugs in the Nintendo DS stage.
CPU players will still act like idiots standing on the
stylus, though, not sure how that's fixable.

-Fixed sorting issues with the trees in Ruins (thanks to DRGN
for figuring this one out).

-Changed game ID to GXTE21, should no longer conflict with Melee
save files.

-Added UnclePunch's BGM extension code. Only used for Literally
a Stage right now but I plan to give other stages their own
music later down the line.

-Officially dropped the 20XXTE compatible version. I was expecting
to re-make it after 2.0pre2 but with the new changes they're no
longer compatible at all. I don't think anyone used it, anyways.

-Credits have been removed from the debug menu. I really didn't
want to, but updating the list is tedious and I have to make
various pages for a quickly growing list of people I need to
credit (Heck, they were outdated by the time 2.0pre2 came out!).
Besides, no one reads the credits in game, that's what the
thread is for!

_glook: The original code for the omega stage toggle.

Smash 2 team: Snake model and Underground Akaneia stage model.

Vert092: Lucina model.

Bulbasaur: Made the first version of the Snake moveset, which remains the base for the current version.

PloAJ: Made HSDraw, which I use for the advanced stage imports, moveset changes, and quite a lot more. Also is of great help fixing bugs.

DRGN: He made DAT Texture Wizard and Melee Code Manager, without which i wouldn't have even done any of this.

Achilles1515: A ton of stuff, seriously, a lot, notes, codes, you name it.

Dan Salvato: Some code from him, and his 20XXTE mod that inspired me to do this. Notes for the debug menu stuff.

Milun: Nintendo DS stage (you might notice it's very different, it's because I threw in some quick MS-Paint texture edits :p) and various others.

Myougi: more stage hacks.

zankyou: The guy who imported most of these stages, and made a model importer for characters.

UnclePunch: BGM Extension code.

Sham Rock: stage striking code.

Zauron: Normal C-Stick in 1P mode code.

Jorgasms: Stock Control code.

Downloads! (click on the titles to download):

Melee XT v2.1 (root files) (recommended!)

Melee XT v1.0 (XDelta patch) (Use only if you can't use the GCRebuilder method) (VERY OUTDATED! USE THE ROOT FILES METHOD IF POSSIBLE)

DAT Texture Wizard

Step 1: Extract the Melee XT zip somewhere.

Step 2: Make a copy of your Melee ISO, and open it with DAT Texture Wizard.

Step 3: Go into the "settings" drop-down menu on the top bar, and make sure "Avoid Rebuilding Disc" is disabled.

Step 4: Right-click anywhere in the files window, and press "Import multiple files", navigate to where you extracted the Melee XT files, go into the "files to replace" folder, select all of those and press the "open" button on the bottom right of the explorer window.

Step 5: Save your ISO. You just made space for the other files we will be importing next, and also installed the modified .dol.

Step 6: Right-click anywhere in the files window again, and press "Add files to disc", navigate to where you extracted the Melee XT files, into "files to add" and select all files (except the "audio" folder), then press the "open" button on the bottom right of the explorer window.

Step 7: Navigate to the "audio" folder in your ISO, press "Add files to disc" once more, navigate to where you extracted the Melee XT files and into the "files to add", then into "audio", select all files there and press the "open" button. You can finally save your ISO now.

Step 8: Wait for the ISO to rebuild, and when it's done you can re-enable "Avoid Rebuilding Disc" if you prefer. After that, have fun playing Melee XT!

This way the mod is 1.00/1.01/1.02 compatible, but the xdelta patch requires 1.02 (and the patch method is very outdated anyways)

Attachments

Last edited:

TDRR

Smash Journeyman
Unfortunately, an XDelta patch takes up 900MB and my internet isn't quite up to uploading that much, but installing via GCRebuilder is a piece of cake, just follow the instructions in the OP and you should be good, if you need more help then tell me.

NinXDani

Smash Cadet
I've tried it and liked it a lot, but it's boring for me to copy a clean iso and insert things ... Note 9 out of 10, missing XDelta patch.
:)

TDRR

Smash Journeyman
Well, if anyone is willing to make an XDelta patch and upload it for me, i would gladly put it up here.

Or just wait a couple days for me to upload the 900mb patch :p

You know, something i always wanted is a GC-Rebuilder sort of program that you can use via the command line, so you get the possibility of making everything 100% automatic drag-and-drop installation process.

Also why is the XDelta patch so huge? i assume it's because i inserted files bigger than the originals and so the rest of the files are offset by a few MBs, but could i move them to the very bottom to eliminate this problem?

Last edited:

SolidZX

Smash Rookie
Well, if anyone is willing to make an XDelta patch and upload it for me, i would gladly put it up here.

You know, something i always wanted is a GC-Rebuilder sort of program that you can use via the command line, so you get the possibility of making everything 100% automatic drag-and-drop installation process.

Also why is the XDelta patch so huge? i assume it's because i inserted files bigger than the originals and so the rest of the files are offset by a few MBs, but could i move them to the very bottom to eliminate this problem?
Yeah i dont have a computer and i can patch melee with an xdelta on an android.

NinXDani

Smash Cadet

All right, if you want, I'll create the patch, okay? (And download link)

Last edited:

TDRR

Smash Journeyman
Alright, i updated the first post with an XDelta patch, be warned, it's 900MB and i will not update it. (that means it's stuck forever on 1.0 until i find a way to reduce the size)

Remember to leave feedback.

And a new challenger is approaching... (note from future self: the challenger was meant to be Sonic, but we ended up getting Snake instead. It also took a while but better late than never!)

EDIT: I'm in the process of moving all modified files to the bottom, so the patch is much, much smaller, try not to download until i say it's safe.
EDIT2: Nope, nevermind, it's 100% unfixable and the patch will always be huge, sorry.

Last edited:

SolidZX

Smash Rookie
Alright, i updated the first post with an XDelta patch, be warned, it's 900MB and i will not update it. (that means it's stuck forever on 1.0 until i find a way to reduce the size)

Remember to leave feedback.

And a new challenger is approaching...

EDIT: I'm in the process of moving all modified files to the bottom, so the patch is much, much smaller, try not to download until i say it's safe.
EDIT2: Nope, nevermind, it's 100% unfixable and the patch will always be huge, sorry.
Awesome!

DRGN

Technowizard
Premium
You can import/replace multiple files at once using DTW. Assuming all of the files you want to import are in one folder, the steps would be:

1) Open the ISO.
2) Go to Disc Operations -> Import Multiple Files in the menus (or you can find it in the right-click context menu).
3) Select all of the files you want to import and click Open.
4) Hit save (File -> Save in the menus, or just press CTRL-S).

I might add options to use the program via command line at some point. Somewhat surprisingly, it actually hasn't been requested much.

TDRR

Smash Journeyman
Okay here's a little news on this:
I have been holding off the next update of Melee XT because i want to get custom characters in as the next version's biggest feature.

Anyways, the upcoming version's only change is the swap of Miiverse for Mount Olympus

Heyzeus_18

Smash Cadet
Melee XT (a.k.a Melee eXTension or eXTended Melee)

Melee XT is a mod designed to be fun for home play (Single Player support, Super Shine Bros, Optional SD Remix characters, upcoming New Characters) while keeping everything Tournament Legal (New tourney-legal stages, upcoming Tournament Mode hack)

-But why?, 20XXHP and 20XXTE do almost everything you mentioned and more!

Well, i really enjoy those mods, but there's still nothing that's exactly what i always wanted in one package, i want my mod to be conveniently packaged, be a small and fast download and not be buggy in certain areas like 20XXHP can be sometimes (no offense, i understand the reason of why that is but it's still quite annoying to have to switch ISOs depending on what you want) yet still add that extra bunch of content while keeping almost perfect compatibility with memory card mods, such as 20XXTE, SD Remix Lite, Training Mode, Minigames Mod and others.

To someone without experience this might sound daunting, but as long as you can decide what content goes in and which doesn't based on how exactly it affects compatibility (and whether the compatibility is worth the content's downsides) is quite easy.

Features:
-All characters and stages unlocked by default
-Omega toggle, adding 12 tournament-legal stages, some popular from SD Remix, others from Project M/Brawl and some almost never seen before, plus the quite popular no-hazards stage variants

-For fun, Super Shine Bros is integrated and by pressing DPad Left/Right toggles the type of shine (or the lack of one)
-Set menu music in Sound Test
-Up to 8-character Name Tags, press X to shift between uppercase and lowercase characters
-Project M style Stage Striking
-Hold A+B for Salty Runback
-L-Cancel success percentage at the end of the match
-C-Stick works like it should in 1P mode
-Restored hitlag behavior from 1.00 (So now a few attacks are much less garbage)
-Handicap now controls stocks and setting it to auto will automate crew battle mode
-Fight Rules are now automatically set to Tournament defaults, with a few exceptions, Pause is allowed, Friendly fire is off and allowed random select stages now changed to reflect the new tourney-legal stages

-Sonic and Snake join the Melee (optional)
-SD Remix character changes (optional)
-Even more stages
-Tournament Mode with some changes to it so matches are played like in the real tourneys (such as 2 out of 3 rounds per match)
-Credits in the menus (And by that i mean EVERYONE who has made a code that's in this will get credited along with any other things they might have helped me with)

Actually bugs
-In 1P mode, when you fight the Jigglypuff team on Pokemon Stadium, there's a chance that many textures will unload, or in some cases, be extremely bright, i have no idea what causes this, but it never happens on VS. Mode so it's not top priority

-In the Nintendo DS stage, CPUs will act like morons once they stand on the Stylus, or if you stand there, the CPUs will not be able to see you
Not really bugs but still pretty inconvenient
-Kirby, Link, Peach, Bowset still quite unconvenienr and Pikachu had their Target Test stages overwritten by custom stages, this doesn't make 1P mode uncompletable, but instead you can't beat Break the Targets with these characters (you can suicide and 1P will proceed normally)

But which stage is what?
In alpha absolutely nothing is changed, but when you press R to switch to Omega, that's where these stages kick in
-Fourside --> Smashville Fourside
-Great Bay --> High tide at Great Bay
-Hyrule Temple --> Skyrule
-Mushroom Kingdom --> Nintendo DS
-Mushroom Kingdom II --> Omega Mushroom Kingdom II (like Final Destination but with a bit of Yoshi's Story timed elements)
-Green Greens --> Whispy's Battlegrounds (Similar to Pokemon Stadium)
-Yoshi's Island --> Omega Yoshi's Island (a.k.a Yoshi's Island gets more competitive)
-Venom --> Metal Cavern M/HD
-Flat Zone --> Lylat Cruise
-Poke Floats --> Miiverse
-Icicle Mountain --> Metroid Labs
-Rainbow Cruise --> Hyrule Castle 64 (Good for doubles play, bad for 1vs1)

_glook: The main feature, omega stage toggle! and if i remember right, he made some of these stages

DRGN: He made DAT Texture Wizard and Melee Code Manager, without which i wouldn't have even done any of this

Achilles1515: A ton of stuff, seriously, a lot

Dan Salvato: Some code from him, and his 20XXTE mod that inspired me to do this, and even make a 20XXTE compatible version!

wParam: The guy responsible for discovering the Name Entry stack smash, and many more discoveries in the Melee hacking scene

UnclePunch: Super Shine Bros code, also his profile pic is pretty rad

Milun: Nintendo DS stage (you might notice it's very different, it's because i threw in some quick MS-Paint texture edits) and perhaps some others

Magus: Stages (if i'm not mistaken) and 1.00 hitlag behavior code

zankyou: The guy who imported 5 of these stages, and made a model importer for characters (we only have the "lite" version though)

Sham Rock: Menu related codes and Stage Striking

flieskiller: This mod has quite a bit of code from him, specifically the omega stage freezes

Zauron: Normal C-Stick in 1P mode code and some omega stage freezes

Jorgasms: Stock Control code

Wooggle: L-Cancel percentage code

Standardtoaster: Unlock everything code

Downloads! (click on the titles to download)
Melee XT v1.0

Melee XT v1.0 (XDelta patch) (Use only if you can't use the GCRebuilder method)

Additional files for 20XXTE/SD Remix Lite/Training Mode compatibility
-Notes: This removes every single feature except for the omega stage toggle for max compatibility with the mentioned mods

GCRebuilder

Step 1: Get GCRebuilder and open your Melee ISO (we won't modify it)

Step 2: Extract the Melee gameroot by right clicking on the root folder at the top of the window

Step 3: Paste the files from the Melee XT zip into that root directory you extracted from the ISO

Step 3.5: If you are going to use the 20XXTE compatible version, then also paste the Start.dol from the "additional files for 20XXTE" link into the
&&systemdata folder located in the root directory

Step 4: Use GCRebuilder to open that root folder and click Save on the root dropdown menu (once you load the root folder)

Step 5: Press the "Rebuild" button on the root dropdown menu to produce an ISO with the specified name and directory

Step 6: Wait for the process to end, and go have fun!

You may wonder why i didn't distribute this in XDelta patch form, it's quite simple: The patch itself was 900MB! That's unacceptable
when i can simply upload the modified files only, and keep this at a very low filesize, also this way i can keep it 1.00/1.01 compatible.

But if you know a way to automate the whole GCRebuilder method with a batch file, i would love to hear from you.
how did you make this?

Russell_SSB

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MrRussellgro
3DS FC
0662-7159-3567
Switch FC
SW-3345-3263-9133
Pordon my French, but this is gonna kick ass for a mod! After a few more updates, do you think we could have Wario thrown into the game?

TDRR

Smash Journeyman
how did you make this?
Melee Code Manager, DAT Texture Wizard and patience to learn everything needed. Tools of power!

Pordon my French, but this is gonna kick *** for a mod! After a few more updates, do you think we could have Wario thrown into the game?
Yes. The goal is to eventually merge both the "Custom Characters" project and Melee XT into one, still would be named just Melee XT.

Right now, there won't be any more updates (Unless i finally get done learning how to make codes but that's very low priority vs. everything else i'm doing) until UnclePunch or maybe even Achilles if he ever comes back separates the code from 20XX to switch movesets and costumes, or someone else figures out how to add new CSS slots.

The "Custom Characters" project will be just a modded 20XX for now so you can try out the new characters (Max new characters: 52!) The only one i have right now is Sonic, but i'm waiting on model imports of Lucina and Snake. For Wario i already have the model but right now i don't have much interest in making a custom moveset for him, mostly because i don't really have any ideas to difference him from Mario in a fun, balanced way.
That said, if anyone else wants to do a custom moveset for Wario, grab Crazy Hand, this model import and hack away!

Last edited:

Heyzeus_18

Smash Cadet
Melee Code Manager, DAT Texture Wizard and patience to learn everything needed. Tools of power!

Yes. The goal is to eventually merge both the "Custom Characters" project and Melee XT into one, still would be named just Melee XT.

Right now, there won't be any more updates (Unless i finally get done learning how to make codes but that's very low priority vs. everything else i'm doing) until UnclePunch or maybe even Achilles if he ever comes back separates the code from 20XX to switch movesets and costumes, or someone else figures out how to add new CSS slots.

The "Custom Characters" project will be just a modded 20XX for now so you can try out the new characters (Max new characters: 52!) The only one i have right now is Sonic, but i'm waiting on model imports of Lucina and Snake. For Wario i already have the model but right now i don't have much interest in making a custom moveset for him, mostly because i don't really have any ideas to difference him from Mario in a fun, balanced way.
That said, if anyone else wants to do a custom moveset for Wario, grab Crazy Hand, this model import and hack away!
i mean the "learn everything you need" part, im looking to make a stage expantion mod

TDRR

Smash Journeyman
i mean the "learn everything you need" part, im looking to make a stage expantion mod
The stage hacks are SD Remix's, the alpha/omega stage switching is made by glook and the other codes are made mostly by Flieskiller.
The only exception is the DS stage which is made by glook i think? And i texture-hacked it to actually look like a real DS that's playing Doom. Why? Dunno i just liked the idea of a DS playing Doom in Melee for some reason.

So yeah i don't really know how to make custom stages, but there's Smash Forge's stage editing if you want that. I can't use it myself because my PC, despite supporting OpenGL 4.0, gets "Unsupported OpenGL 3.3" errors from SF.

Russell_SSB

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MrRussellgro
3DS FC
0662-7159-3567
Switch FC
SW-3345-3263-9133

Thanks! Though I am somewhat new into modding, but I kind of have an idea where it could play with his Wario Land style but almost like PM/Smash 2 combined.

Heyzeus_18

Smash Cadet
The stage hacks are SD Remix's, the alpha/omega stage switching is made by glook and the other codes are made mostly by Flieskiller.
The only exception is the DS stage which is made by glook i think? And i texture-hacked it to actually look like a real DS that's playing Doom. Why? Dunno i just liked the idea of a DS playing Doom in Melee for some reason.

So yeah i don't really know how to make custom stages, but there's Smash Forge's stage editing if you want that. I can't use it myself because my PC, despite supporting OpenGL 4.0, gets "Unsupported OpenGL 3.3" errors from SF.
What im wondering about is the SSS and DOL parts cause i dont know how to boot for example a second version of a stage like a second frozen stadium

TDRR

Smash Journeyman
What im wondering about is the SSS and DOL parts cause i dont know how to boot for example a second version of a stage like a second frozen stadium
I don't know how to do that either, unfortunately one guy that had all of this info was Achilles, but he's long gone. Try asking on the Melee Workshop, and you may or may not get an answer. Sorry about not being able to help you on this one.

Thanks! Though I am somewhat new into modding, but I kind of have an idea where it could play with his Wario Land style but almost like PM/Smash 2 combined.
Sounds like a nice idea, hope to see it soon!

TDRR

Smash Journeyman
I went back to working on this mod. I cleaned up the first post a bit and added the MCM .txt file I used for v1.0 (It only includes the codes that aren't pre-loaded with MCM 4.0+, you can tell the other ones I used by looking at the features and credits), thought it might be useful for someone else too.

About the custom characters I mentioned, I'm still figuring out a way to make a certain costume load a different moveset (and animation maybe?) file, but this time even though I still don't have a functional code, I'm much further into figuring it all out. Fingers crossed something may happen this year!

EDIT 18/05/20: Still haven't stopped! v2.0 is gonna be a HUGE upgrade from v1.0. I won't have clone characters, at least not as in BrawlEx, but there will be something very similar, stay tuned.

Last edited:

TDRR

Smash Journeyman
v2.0pre1 is out, as a sneak-peek of more things to come in future versions!
...and also because the things I added may have bugs that are so weirdly specific that I can't really find them myself :p

As a quick changelog, the omega stage toggle has been replaced with an Alternate Stage Loader (basically the same code but there's more flexibility on the stages I can add and you need to hold L or R while loading the stage to get the replacements), there's now 19 new stages, we now have a "shiny new" debug menu with listings of the credits and stage toggles. We also got toggles for... custom characters?!

Yes, custom characters! While the only custom character available currently is an early version of Solid Snake with just 3 new moves and new costumes, he's gonna get better with future releases and more characters will be added too (the next one I'm looking for is Sonic, or Wario maybe).
To clarify, no, this does not add a Snake slot to the game (currently impossible without serious bugs), but you can enable/disable Snake over Captain Falcon in the debug menu without having to switch ISOs or anything. And as more characters are added, they will have their own toggles too and will be toggleable separately.

If any of this sounds great to you, then what are you waiting for? Just go grab the mod on the first post!

Last edited:

TDRR

Smash Journeyman
If you got this mod yesterday 19/05/2020 and then tried to install it... you might have noticed that none of the changes I mentioned worked at all, this is because I accidentally included the wrong .dol file in the .zip file! I corrected this issue and updated the download link, very sorry for the inconvenience!

TDRR

Smash Journeyman
v2.1 is out, and this is a pretty awesome one!

As a quick introduction, we now got Lucina and Yumi as the two new characters of this version. But perhaps even more important is the improvements Snake got. Now he has a new Neutral-B, Side-B has been nerfed and his aerials and throws attributes are much closer to that of PM's Snake.

Remember how crashy 2.0pre2 was? Well, fear not, because the ASL code has been updated and all crashes and bugs I could find it had, are now fixed.

Stages got a few fixes and improvements, with Smashville Fourside now being Achilles' improved version, fixed collision bugs, new music and proper character shadows for Literally a Stage, Ruins now has corrected depth sorting for the trees, and there are 3 new stages, one for all the Fire Emblem characters (Underground Akaneia), Smash 4 Battlefield and SD Remix Yoshi's Island.

There's also a new CSS, with which you can see the custom character's costumes, and it's also just prettier!

Does that sound cool to you? Maybe trying out the mod is a good idea ;)

vathekid

Smash Apprentice
2 questions
1. using M-ex, I've supplemented snake as his own character but it seems his neutral special will just play the animation and nothing else. possibly because i didn't put in a specific file id guess?

and 2. would it be okay to reupload snake and lucina in a m-ex ready to use zips with credit to ya?

Bepe

Smash Rookie
Hey TDRR, Just felt like giving you a heads up on this as you may not know. This mod works on official Gamecube hardware(not the Wii). I'll be using it as my permanent version of melee for the future as I'm loving it. Really looking forward to seeing if you are gonna add any new characters or features. Thanks for all you've done, I'm having a blast with lucina :)

BrassMonkey

Smash Cadet
using M-ex, I've supplemented snake as his own character but it seems his neutral special will just play the animation and nothing else. possibly because i didn't put in a specific file id guess?
If I had to guess, its because in order for "Snake" to pull a bomb you have to change information in the start.dol file and not the character file.
For example, In order to make certain moves jump cancel-able or certain characters wall-jump. These modifications are done in start.dol.

There is an "Items" tab for fighters in mexTool. Maybe this is how you can add the bomb to the move.

I'm trying to make Snake a mexfighter as well and will post if I figure it out.

Edit: Well, I'm no programmer. And the start.dol files are way to different for me to find out where snake's bomb pull is. Maybe someone with more experience or TDRR TDRR themselves could help out.

Edit2: Thanks to TDRR we now have a working Snake Mex Fighter :bobomb:

Here's a link to the snake mexfighter (stock icons included, character select icon below)
You will also need this Dol(Akaneia) / Dol(Melee) file for neutral b to work.
The font isn't the same, I've seen people make good looking CSIs but dunno how to replicate the font.

If Snake's neutral b still isnt working you can try injecting this gecko code into your ISO using melee code manager.

Last edited:

SuperHackBros

Smash Rookie
Anyone know how to access Lucina? I pulled out PlLu.dat and PlLuNr.dat and placed them over Marth, but the game just freezes.

Doing this for Snake over Falcon works just fine though, not sure whats wrong with Lucina.

BrassMonkey

Smash Cadet
Anyone know how to access Lucina? I pulled out PlLu.dat and PlLuNr.dat and placed them over Marth, but the game just freezes.

I originally thought this was a model problem. So I tried to make Lucina into a mex fighter to mitigate any errors with overwriting Marth's model.
But this caused melee to crash on startup.

Lucina in the XT build may be held together with rubber bands and bubble gum. So importing her to a regular copy of melee could be problematic.

Last edited:

SuperHackBros

Smash Rookie
That's a shame. If you could find the bare model .dat file I could work with that, recolor and work on moveset. I could probably even make a full mex fighter from it. If you know your way around this XT folder structure, maybe you can find her model. Would be enough, fingers crossed

TDRR

Smash Journeyman
Dang guys, sorry to leave y'all waiting like this, didn't expect interest on this mod would increase one bit after such a long time.

SuperHackBros SuperHackBros and BrassMonkey BrassMonkey
Lucina is actually the simplest character in this release, when she's enabled in MXT, all that happens is that Lucy's DAT files are loaded instead of Marth's, and the CSS nametag is changed. Literally nothing else is changed AFAIR, and she should at least work over Marth if not as an EX character.
I would imagine the problem here is that PlLuAJ.dat wasn't copied. Some animations got repointed, so it's likely that the main DAT is getting all the wrong offsets. Snake's the only one that doesn't have this of the XT characters, too.

Snake's Neutral B only requires this code, too: https://smashboards.com/threads/custom-subaction-event-projectile-item-spawn.427019/

Yumi's the only one that won't correctly work, but literally just nulling out the pill spawn function (however that's done in M-EX, I can't run the program myself) will make the character work identically to M-XT. I don't think people care much about this one though so that annoyance isn't a big deal.

Hey TDRR, Just felt like giving you a heads up on this as you may not know. This mod works on official Gamecube hardware(not the Wii). I'll be using it as my permanent version of melee for the future as I'm loving it. Really looking forward to seeing if you are gonna add any new characters or features. Thanks for all you've done, I'm having a blast with lucina :)
That's great dude! Thanks for letting me know, and glad you liked it.

Well, there's a final update that's practically almost done, let's see if I get to cleaning it up and fixing the bugs. Now that M-EX is out though, all of the methods I came up with of doing stuff are waaay outdated, and since as mentioned earlier I can't run it, they may need to stay like this. If anyone wants to make an M-EX version of the mod, please let me know so we can work on it together.

BrassMonkey

Smash Cadet
Got Snake working thanks to TDRR TDRR !
Link to Akaneia 0.61 Dol file.
Link to Melee 1.02 Dol file.
Link to Snake Mex Fighter.

Super convenient that snake's neutral b is a custom subaction I could inject into the dol.

I definitely got PlLuAJ from the XT mod unless TDRR is referring to mexTool not copying the file. MexTool just got updated recently so I'll try and give it another shot.
Another Mex Fighter added to the list :terryhat:
Download Link for Lucina

Yumi's the only one that won't correctly work, but literally just nulling out the pill spawn function (however that's done in M-EX, I can't run the program myself) will make the character work identically to M-XT.
If that means just zeroing out her SpecialN, I'll whip up a mex fighter and post it here. I'll try and make some CSPs and icons as well.

Last edited:

vathekid

Smash Apprentice
Even before so, i've whipped up snake n lucina n set em up
and unless i get trails workin n such to avoid crashes on hardware, as well as turn of panic stops, they work well n fine
thanks m-ex

Attachments

Rustygx

Smash Rookie
If I had to guess, its because in order for "Snake" to pull a bomb you have to change information in the start.dol file and not the character file.
For example, In order to make certain moves jump cancel-able or certain characters wall-jump. These modifications are done in start.dol.

There is an "Items" tab for fighters in mexTool. Maybe this is how you can add the bomb to the move.

I'm trying to make Snake a mexfighter as well and will post if I figure it out.

Edit: Well, I'm no programmer. And the start.dol files are way to different for me to find out where snake's bomb pull is. Maybe someone with more experience or TDRR TDRR themselves could help out.

Edit2: Thanks to TDRR we now have a working Snake Mex Fighter :bobomb:

Here's a link to the snake mexfighter (stock icons included, character select icon below)
You will also need this Dol(Akaneia) / Dol(Melee) file for neutral b to work.
The font isn't the same, I've seen people make good looking CSIs but dunno how to replicate the font.

If Snake's neutral b still isnt working you can try injecting this gecko code into your ISO using melee code manager.
What do I do with the Dol file in mextool?

BrassMonkey

Smash Cadet
R Rustygx

You need to export the ISO your using in mextool into a file structure.
This will export all the melee files into a folder of your choice.
Once that's done, there should be a folder with only a couple files in it containing a .dol file. (Called main.dol or start.dol)
It could be named differently, important thing is that it has the .dol extension. This is the file you overwrite.
To test if it worked, you can open the .dol file with dolphin to run the game before you rebuild the ISO.

Another way you can do this, is by injecting the gecko code into the iso with melee code manager before you import it into mextool.
Though I don't think Akaneia is supported by the code manager. So this method only works with vanilla melee.

vathekid

Smash Apprentice
getting back to this, all lucina really needs is her trails fixed for her to be compatible throughly
but im unsure where id have to for that
i do recall Ploaj saying i can set the original trails from marth to read to clone fighters, and in this case being lucina
any idea on how to go about that?
if that hurdle gets thru, than she'll be completely compatible with M-ex, with voice being another thing entirely i wouldnt mind trying to set up if not too difficult

Top Bottom