• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Melee X Brawl: @ Xanadu Games (MD/VA): The return of Snack... - August 24th, 2013 - Arbutus, MD

What should the Bonus event be?

• Brawl Mid Tier Doubles

Votes: 7 33.3%
  • Melee Low Tier Singles

Votes: 8 38.1%
  • CPU Tournament (Melee)

Votes: 3 14.3%
  • Melee Singles w/ 3 min Bonus

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • CPU Tournament (Brawl)

Votes: 3 14.3%

• Total voters

TheTantalus

Smash Hero
PRESENTING:

(One day I'll stop using mspaint as a photo editor!)
Hey Everybody! I'm back again with the next Xanadu tournament. This one is called "Melee X Brawl", not to draw lines between the two games, but to show that these games can work together for something even greater than themselves. Oh and don't worry, we still have a controller raffle.

This month's giveaway will be a BRAND NEW Platinum controller. Remember how it works- you get a ticket for paying the venue fee, and you can buy additional tickets for just $1.

Location: Xanadu Games (thread has the address info! If Baltimore doesn't work as the city address, try using Halethorpe or Arbutus. This really isn't within "Baltimore" per se.)

Games: As the title implies, we'll be featuring Melee and Brawl.

Schedule:

10:30am Venue Opens
12:00pm Brawl and Melee Teams Signups begin
12:30pm Brawl and Melee teams begin (going to get Brawl going first)
3:00pm Brawl Singles Signups Begin/Melee Signups Begin
3:30pm Brawl Singles Begin
4:00pm Melee Singles Begins
6:30pm CPU tournament signups begin
7:00pm CPU tournament begins, Melee Draft Crews and Brawl Low Tier Doubles signups begin
8:00pm Melee Draft crews begin, Brawl Low Tiers begin

This gives everybody plenty of time to break for lunch/dinner etc. and also have a boat load of time for friendlies. Running teams simultaneously shouldn't be a problem, considering how teams usually goes around here. I've staggered the other events so we don't get too caught up. Taking signups simultaneously should help speed things up a bit too. If teams finish sooner, I will start singles sooner, so please keep that in mind.

Prices:

$10 Venue fee (First 8 setups are $5 off venue)
$10 Entry for Brawl and Melee Singles/Doubles

$5 Entry for Brawl Low Tier Doubles
$5 Entry for Melee Crews
$2 Entry for CPU Tournament
$1 Raffle entry for controller

So last time, yeah you all did me well, bringing a grand total of 17 setups (we actually had 20 usable setups but no room to put them.) As such, well I ended up paying out of pocket to return the guarantee. So this time, the first 8 setups that arrive will receive the $5 refund at the end. You'll have to come check in with me with your setup so I can tell you if you are one of the seven. So it's good to show up early!

Rules: These rules apply to Brawl and Melee...specific rules to follow. If you have any questions about the rules, please ask up front rather than waiting till after a match to ask. It could be too late!

General Gameplay:

- Items are set to "off" and "none"
- If the timer runs out, the victor is determined first by stock and then by percentage. If there is a tie, see the tiebreaker section to follow.
- All sets in bracket with the exception of winner's finals, loser's finals, and grand finals will be best of 3 matches. The finals matches will be a best of 5.
- Controller ports will be decided by players. If there is a conflict, we prefer using the G&W Hammer method to determine who gets to choose.
- You may switch controller ports on your counterpick only.
- BYOC (Bring your own controller). I recommend having a spare, just in case. If you don't have one, I might have a few for sale.
- Any controller malfunction mid match is on you. If you need to reset, your opponent will have to agree to a reset as doing so will require you to pause the match. (if pause is on).
- Stalling is banned. You know what this is, ask if you're unsure.
- If you freeze the game on an action initiated by your character, you lose the game. You are expected to know the boundaries of your character. (This rarely, if ever, happens.)
- Pause is recommended to be turned on for quick resets, but players can request it be turned off for the duration of their match.
- If a player pauses the match mid game (accidentally or intentionally), it is a stock loss to the player who pressed it.
- A match ending in simultaneous death does not go to the initiator. If the result is sudden death from this, use the normal tiebreaking rules (to follow) to determine the winner. Otherwise use who the game declared the winner.
- Coaching mid-match is banned. Don't do it.
- You cannot re-select a stage you have won on as a Counterpick in a set.
- Any and all infinites (basically, where someone can control the opponent without them being able to do anything about it) must end at 300%, otherwise it becomes stalling. All infinites are entirely legal otherwise.

Set Procedure:

1. Character selection
2. Stage strike 1-2-1 (higher seed starts)
3. Play Game 1
4. Winning player announces ban stage for the set
5. Loser of previous match announces next match's stage
6. Winner of previous match chooses characters
7. Loser of previous match chooses characters
8. Play next game
9. Rinse and repeat 4-8 if set goes to a third game.

Tie Breaking:

Note: Tiebreaking is only initiated if the game started a sudden death round upon completion. Otherwise, the game declared winner is the winner of the match.

1. Winner is determined by highest stock count then lowest percent.
2. In Brawl, verify the LGL was not violated. If both players violated said LGL or neither player did, proceed to step 3.
3. 1 stock, 3 minute match is played as a tiebreaker match. The winner of this match wins the game. If there is a tie in this match, proceed to step 4.
4. A second 1 stock, no time limit match is played. If a simultaneous death is initiated (such as swallocide) in this match, the initiator loses the match. There is no tie for this match, it is play until you win.

Conduct Rules:

- BYOC (already mentioned this)
- No intrusive Cosmetic hacks permitted (no altering characters to look like master chief, no reversing the ice climbers colors, etc.)
- Drugs/Alcohol is banned from Xanadu. Don't let me see any, smell any, etc. We'll send you home packing.
- Intentionally disrupting someone mid-match intentionally or accidentally is not acceptable. Please do your best to make sure you are not disrupting a match.
- Don't lose anything you're bringing to the event please, we are not liable for lost/stolen etc.

Melee ONLY rules:

- 4 stock
- 8 minute timer

- Starter Stages:

Yoshi's Story
Fountain of Dreams
Battlefield
Final Destination
Dream Land 64

- Counterpick stages

Pokemon Stadium
Kongo Jungle 64

- Doubles stage changes

Pokemon Stadium is a Starter
Fountain of Dreams is banned

I haven't seen any reason that Kongo Jungle shouldn't be a CP, so let's roll with it and see how it turns out.k

- Crew Battle rules:

- Teams numbers will be varied based on the number of entrants
- All crews will be placed into a single elimination bracket
- G&W Hammer will be used to determine the captain picking order, and then it will cycle one at a time a-la fantasy football in this order 1-2-3-4-4-3-2-1-1-2-3-4 and so on
- All players must determine their character selection in advance and it must be turned into the T.O.
- Each team must then submit their leadoff for each battle in advance

Sequence of events:

1. Battle begins, using 4 stocks, the starter stage is random based off of the neutral stage selections
2. The winner of the match stays on, using his remaining stocks from the first battle to play the next opponent
3. The opposing crew chooses their next player to play in the battle
4. The player coming in has the opportunity to counter pick a stage instead of going random, if they do, their opponent may change their character.
5. Rinse and repeat 2-4 until the winner is determined

Brawl ONLY rules:

- 3 Stocks
- 8 minute timer
- Infinite Dimensional Cape is banned
- 40 LGL for all characters. Only applies in a match that ends in time.

- Starter Stages:

Battlefield
Final Destination
Smashville

- Counterpick Stages:

Yoshi's Island
Frigate Orpheon
Lylat Cruise
Pokemon Stadium 1
Castle Siege
Delfino Plaza

Doubles ONLY rules:

- Team attack is set to ON
- Stock sharing is permitted

Brawl Mid Tiers will have legal characters from The Brawl V8 tier list, tiers C-F.

Prize Payouts:

Singles Payouts:

1st: 50%
2nd: 21%
3rd: 13%
4th: 8%
5th/5th: 4%

Doubles/Mid Tier Doubles/CPU tourney Payouts:

1st: 60%
2nd: 30%
3rd: 10%

Crew Payouts:

2nd: Money Back
1st: The remainder

As usual, the top 6 in each main event will make some prize money. I have redistributed the pot slightly for singles this time.

Food Nearby:

All within close proximity is Chick-fil-A, McDonalds, Burger King, and Wendy's. There is also a pizza place that delivers that everyone is extremely fond off, as well as Chinese take out. Xanadu should have the chinese and pizza place order list right there at the counter if you want something.

Livestream:

GIMR has prior arrangements on this day, so i'll be running the stream. We'll try to get both games on stream as time allows.

You can view the stream at www.twitch.tv/thetantalus

Hope EVERYONE can make it out! This event will be one to remember. I'm already gathering OoS support for this so be ready! I look forward to seeing YOU there. Remember to check out the following pages:

www.twitch.tv.com/vgbootcamp- your (regular) Xanadu stream source
www.twitter.com/xanadugames- follow them as they are our gracious hosts!
www.twitter.com/thetantalus- ask me if you have any questions
www.twitter.com/thephenomenalee- so phenomenal your head might explode with awesomeness after viewing

Oh yeah, and everyone make sure to use the new RSVP system within the new smashboards xenforo system, it's really helpful. If you reply at AiB, please do the same. It makes it easier for the bracket.

F. Blue

Smash Journeyman
Since this isn't Silver Edition I'm guessing there won't be a gold edition either?

2fast

Smash Journeyman
Project M for bonus event?? You know, for the combination of melee and brawl :D

TheTantalus

Smash Hero
No Project M for this event, sorry. Too many setups required and not enough room to do that.

I just made the poll for the Bonus event, i'll clarify the ones that are unclear:

Melee Bonus Match- literally play the Bonus mode instead of stocks, using 3 min timer. Still normal tourney rules. Style points win. Only difference is Self Destructs have to be set to -2.
Cpu tournaments are quite simple- you select a CPU, and enter in the tournament on your behalf. You choose the character and level of your CPU. Basically like betting on horse racing. CPU will use the normal rules for it's respective game.

Bones0

Smash Legend
No offense, but those bonus events suck. Why not do something fun like an amateur bracket where top players "sponsor" (coach) individuals, draft crews, Cactuar Stamina Pancake, or Pro/Am Teams? I can't imagine anyone giving a **** about a CPU tourney that is 100% random...

TheTantalus

Smash Hero
Guess I should get the controller soon, heh.

I'm ready to roll, it's been too long since we did this. Looking forward to an excellent event next week. Getting very close to making the final call on the side events.

TheTantalus

Smash Hero
Yes, this event is the official return of snack attack. I heard he's been training in college...increasing his knowledge far and wide.

TheTantalus

Smash Hero
it's pretty much a done deal as far as I'm concerned, snack be careful though you might scare away the competition like m2k did last week

TheTantalus

Smash Hero
Great! Hope to see you there!

I heard wenbo will be operating as an ATM this weekend, mming for tons of money everywhere! Think you can beat him? You should challenge him to a mm and see if you can make that withdrawl!

Fortune

Smash Journeyman
@Tant: you mentioned in the thread that if teams ends sooner, singles will start sooner. Can you like... not do that? I'm only coming for singles and I'm a 1.5 hour drive away.

Top Bottom