• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Melee Tournament in Rocky Mount, NC 1/3/09

Lightsyde

Smash Champion
Please note that this tourney is taking place along with a DDR/ITG tournaments. This means there will be a lot of stuff going on both days and we'll do our best to keep it under control. Also please note that this is my second Smash tourney, and I've been running dance game tournaments for years and it follows the same format mostly. James (Pac!) and Adam (LoZR) will be helping me in running Smash itself. I'll be doing a lot of simultaneous running about to make sure everything else goes smoothly.

The tournament itself really begins Friday and runs through Sunday, and people are more than welcome to come on any of those days as I plan on setups generally always being available.

Stuff should be starting at about 1:00 or 2:00 pm on Saturday. This won't be taking all day, so we can be a little laid back with it. There should be an immense amount of time for friendlies.

EDIT: No idea why I keep forgetting to post this.

Location of the venue/phone number:

900 Benvenue Rd
Rocky Mount, NC 27804
(252) 972-3880‎

Rules and such for Melee

This is all standard stuff for anyone who goes to tournaments on the regular.

I SUPPOSE you could bring Brawl and play it if you so desire, but the tournament itself will be Melee only.

EDIT: My friend Justin/SGX from Myrtle Beach will be bringing Brawl+ which has quite a few game improving mods on it.

Divisions:

Pools will be done if there's enough people, random seeding if pools aren't necessary.

January 3rd (Saturday)

Singles:

-Double elim.
-10$ entry fee.
-4 stock, 8 minutes
-2/3 matches a set. 3/5 for winners finals, loser finals, and grand finals.
-No items

Teams:

-Team attack is on.
-Double elim.
-20$ entry fee (per team)
-4 stock, 8 minutes
-2/3 matches a set. 3/5 for winners finals, loser finals, and grand finals.
-No items

Pausing is auto DQ, unless there are mechanical difficulties or some serious outside distraction.

Stages:

Top half represents singles, bottom half represents teams.

Red
means banned
Yellow means counterpick
Green means neutral

EDIT: XIF is correct that I just used the old MLG picture; I didn't even notice that those stupid stages are allowed. Thank you guys for pointing that out to me.

Extended Singles/Doubles bans: Great Bay, and MK2
Allowed but Not Neutral for Doubles: Rainbow Cruise and DK64.

As far as I know, Green Greens is a legal counter pick (see M2k vs Mango), so I'm gonna leave it in.

If you are involved/entered in the tournament, please make a habit of swinging by the area where Smash is going to be taking place; having to come find you will be an aggravation that I hope will be reserved for the rest of the tournament.
BRING TVs, CUBES/WIIs, AND COPIES OF MELEE

BYOC, obviously. You do NOT want to have to use Gerod's controller.

I'm not sure where exactly we're going to be carved out at Putters but hopefully there will be more than enough room. This thread is cross posted from AIJ (international dance game forums)

It would be super sexy for a decent amount of people to show for this, at least a decent showing from east NC. I do realize that it's shortly after New Years, which is a date I would have never picked, but I had to get what I could take on this one. Post if you think you'll be able to make it or if you have questions.

AIM: dr0ps2zero

Frames

DI
oh holy **** is this happening at FEC

i thought it would just be ddr/itg/iidx/piu but if there's melee too holy **** im there

NC dudes i need housinggg bros hook me up

also first post

edit- problem, my car isn't getting there until the night of the 2nd and we need to do our qualifiers for itg/ddr on the 3rd so will we be able to do that in between matches??

Lightsyde

Smash Champion
PIU and IIDX probably won't happen this time. The Pump machine doesn't look like it's happening unless Putters can send a truck out to get Jboy's machine. As far as I know, there won't be IIDX for whatever reason; maybe that will change.

Yes this if for FEC1. I ran the last 8 tournaments at Putters but I kinda passed of the main part of the responsibilities for this one because I just didn't want to have to deal with it during school, or in general. It's a really really tiring process with so many people involved. However, I am helping a good amount.

Somebody might be able to house you, potentially. How many people are you bringing?

And that won't be a problem. We'll have a plenty of time for Melee, so you getting to play two songs shouldn't cause any conflicts.

Frames

DI
it would be me and 2 others possibly

nc people said i should ask LoZR for housing but whatever u can scrounge up is fine too :)

l0zR=)

Smash Champion
i can only house about one person haha. I live with my grandparents and they dont want that many people in the house =(

Malk

Smash Champion
dawg you can stay with me in raleigh but I dunno if that'll help you
it's like 45 minutes from RM

BEHR

Smash Hero
Im coming I want see my Florida Bros and cheer him on in DDR same for the Catfish. <3

Anyways G-Broro is coming no doubt.

Dark Hart

Rejected by Azua
i didn't know kingdom II and great bay were legal teams counter picks????
weird. haha
Great Bay is the best counter-pick stage ever. Seriously.

And I though Kingdom II was banned because of Fox and the super short sides. :confused:

dawg you can stay with me in raleigh but I dunno if that'll help you
it's like 45 minutes from RM
Matt, if I can go to this could you give me a ride?

Hey Darksyde, want me to put this in Tournamnet Listings?

Dark Hart

Rejected by Azua

BEHR

Smash Hero
nomnomnmomo

Frames I want to play you so Bad.

I want to meet my fellow Florbros. <3

XIF

Smash Master
ZOMG Duluth, GA mostly... sometimes Weston, FL
may I suggest banning Great Bay for both teams and singles, and then banning Green Greens and Mushroom Kingdom 2 as well?

That picture you used is a very outdated MLG Stage set from like 2006, and at the very least Great Bay is banned for everything. I only kindly suggest taking off Green Greens and MK2, since they are very imbalanced.

I should be coming to this with some GA people.

Foxy

Smash Master
Keep Green Greens, it worked out last time I played it in tournament. Great Bay was fun too but I'd take it off.

Also, anyone got an address or the name of the location for this? I basically know what it is but I want to google map it for distance.

BEHR

Smash Hero
NC DONT GIVE A **** ABOUT THE RULES!

Keep that ****.

People usually dont Counterpick them only like Malk and Foxy.

Dark Hart

Rejected by Azua
NC DONT GIVE A **** ABOUT THE RULES!

Keep that ****.

People usually dont Counterpick them only like Malk and Foxy.
lol at Me and Malk counter-picking Great Bay against Foxy and Vilt.

u better keep green greens that's my secret weapon lolol
Wow, we have the same secret weapon. It's obvious we were meant for each other. Team with me at TO4. :3

Speaking of teammates... LoZR, wanna team for this?

And apparently everyone wants an address. I do to.

Lightsyde

Smash Champion
Thanks guys for pointing that out. I have made the corrections on the original post.

I also added that my friend Justin will be bringing Brawl+ but for obvious reasons, there will not be a tournament held on it. It makes Brawl SO much better. Captain Falcon is a man once more.

Also: Me and Adam have already agreed we're teaming. I don't think GA can hang. ;]

Alex/Matt: Can you guys try to rally Raleigh and west NC into coming? If so that would be sweeeet.

Foxy

Smash Master
I've got Brawl+ as well on a Wii I can bring.

The only issue with it is buffering, which makes wavedashes inconsistent, and hitstun would still be better than everything in Brawl+ together.

Still, I'll bring it in case we want more than one.

Dark Hart

Rejected by Azua
Matt, if you're going to this, wanna team again?

Also, Foxy, one Brawl+ is enough.

Also Darksyde, I miss you, so it would we a shame if I missed this tourney because I didn't know where is was. You have an address for this place?

MarsFool!

Smash Lord
LOLOLOLOLOL
GA cant handle SC. Silly Rabbits.
If I come XIF and I will be winning teams. Hes going to hold you down and Im going to drag my sweaty sac across your eyes.

BEHR

Smash Hero
lololololol
Ga Cant Handle Sc. Silly Rabbits.
If I Come Xif And I Will Be Winning Teams. Hes Going To Hold You Down And Im Going To Drag My Sweaty Sac Across Your Eyes.
Yo Ds Mm.

3/5

Top Bottom