• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Meta Melee State Power Rankings

Redact

Professional Nice Guy
I've still yet to never beat only 2 people in aus in tournament that i've actually played more than once

cao and s.d

cao still beat me, atticus, dekar + me in teams at SS

Straight up rj doesn't even have comparable results to that, let alone joe

cao if its any consolation you would be 3rd on the vic pr

Last edited:

cheese619

Smash Ace
I dunno, I 100% agree Cao > Me
but I'm not so sure about Cao > RJ
although I haven't really seen Cao in years so I'm not really qualified to comment.

It'd probably be better to have me in my own tier and Cao and RJ in the same tier.
I don't lose to people below me and I don't beat those above me.
also NSW > VIC > QLD

Splice

Smash Hero
NSW players' perception of skill seems to favour recent results and feelings of players too heavily. VIC players seem to be pretty faithful to players legacy but this is not always accurate either. I've seen the not yet released VIC PR and it might be because I'm from VIC but it seems way more out of touch with the current player ability than this. At least weighing off results and recent attendance is something with substance.

My experience agrees with Joe's suggestion that Cao and RJ should be in the same tier, above Joe, who would be in his own tier. I've never placed above RJ or Cao, only even or below. Other players like Smoking Puppy share this experience so there's a few players across East Coast below RJ+Cao but able to do better than Joe. I wish RJ would travel more. NSW players are hard to get games with :(

Noxus

Smash Cadet
I dunno, I 100% agree Cao > Me
but I'm not so sure about Cao > RJ
although I haven't really seen Cao in years so I'm not really qualified to comment.

It'd probably be better to have me in my own tier and Cao and RJ in the same tier.
I don't lose to people below me and I don't beat those above me.
also NSW > VIC > QLD
VIC > NSW > QLD
i would beat you and im not even on vic pr
#shots

cheese619

Smash Ace
nah NSW have Ted, zxv and SD. If a crew battle happens at BAM, VIC don't have a chance at beating NSW
#s***stirring

Noxus

Smash Cadet
Dekar, redact, cao, splice, skeletom, Hopefully we can find out at a major next year though

Last edited:

Splice

Smash Hero
Smaller numbers would be tight but the pool of skilled players in VIC is too thick

#ThickVIC

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
I appreciate the thought behind the power rankings, but I feel that I have been overlooked. There is enough information out there to suggest that I am more closely aligned with Ted/ZXV/RJ then I am against anyone else in NSW.

At ACL, Ted and I went pretty even. There was really only one clean hit in determining the final outcome. My win against RJ was ‘comfortable.’

At Smash City 2, I again went pretty even against ZXV and RJ, with my losses emanating from a ‘last match, last stock, last hit’ scenario. I was the only player to beat Lukas (barely), who later went on to win the entire tournament.

I was the only ‘high level player’ from NSW at Shadowloo Showdown, which was arguably the most important tournament of the year. There, I had out-placed every other Australian player except for Dekar and SD, who I feel are the best players in the country by a decent margin. There would be some hypocrisy if these results didn’t matter, since I am making the effort to prove myself both at home and interstate.

I had also ran four Xanadu-styled events throughout the year (the FERNS), which could have shed more light on player capability. However, I doubt these have been factored into the equation.

It would be ideal if I could be re-evaluated, but if the panellists maintain the view that I am two tiers away from S+, one tier away from S-, and in the A class, where Joe (with all due respect) doesn’t share the same legacy nor recent performances as mine, I’d like know why I’m there.

Last edited:

Zxv

Smash Lord
Thanks for your concern guys. I believe we've mistakenly placed Cao in the wrong tier and we'll fix this as soon as we can.

Edit: PR fixed.

Last edited:

unreon

Smash Ace
My version of NSW Tier list:

S+: Ted, RJ
S-: ZXV, Cao
A: Joe, unreon, Zero
B: MC, Birdies
C: Cunchy, RCJ

(missing players because of lack of data: Scrubs, Scabe)
(Qx would be in S+ tier if he counts)

Even if Cao has the better Peach dittos matchup, I believe RJ has beaten both Ted and ZXV in more recent tournaments sets than Cao has.
Cao does incredibly well vs the top tier out-of-staters, but since we don't have any data on that for RJ I can't comment much.
I firmly believe Zero and unreon will match evenly with Joe.
MC and Birdies have the potential to break into A tier soon.
C tier is very very close to B tier.

Redact

Professional Nice Guy
Without further delay we bring you the Melbourne Melee 2015 power rankings. No fancy art this time, just the magic numbers that me, Sam Darroch and David Moore came up with.

1. Dekar
2. S.D
3. Redact
4. Skeletom
5. Splice
6. Atticus
7. Daniel
8. Sebby
9. Toshi
10. Atilla
11. Moxie
12. Noxus
13. Matt G
14. Tak
15. Joey

Honorable mentions to Forte, Miles and Azri

Let the salt begin

Last edited:

Dekar289

Smash Hero
yeah the zero artwork pr was a top 10 we made like last september, this one is brand new haha

Noxus

Smash Cadet
I thought DonB > Noxus?

Three months and no artwork. The trust is gone, man.
DonB might have a better 1v1 record vs me but you also have to consider how he has done vs others i have beaten, i have wins against joey, attila, azri..etc all people who miles has lost to recently. Don has just made a character switch though so i think he is capable of being in there fo sure

Last edited:

Jamwa

Smash Champion
Jamwa's Journey to Jimmying the Judging Jihad

pretty sure i beat dekar on stream, why aren't i first?
dw i be there soon

Redact

Professional Nice Guy

Already posted on FB a while ago, but here is it again with a story in tow:

1. Dekar (Marth)
2. S.D (Fox)
3. Redact (Falco)
4. Skeletom (Falcon)
5. Splice (Falco)
6. Atticus (Fox)
7. Daniel (Peach)
8. Sebby (Sheik)
9. Toshi (Fox)
10. Attila (Marth)
11. Moxie (Fox)
12. Noxus (Samus)
13. Matt G (Jigglypuff)
14. Tak (Fox)
15. Joey (Luigi)

This was made back in January.

Now without further ado...

I give you the plot for Battle Arena Melbourne:

Japanese middle school student Skeletomu copes with life after his father's forfiet in melee grand finals of EVO 1982. Meanwhile, schoolmate Dekaru is the only student attending pool 3-B. Their teacher, Caoticu, resigns after being impulsively JV5 stocked by Spliceu.

Because the rules were not clearly stated the pool is still ongoing a year later somehow and together they take a field trip, but they are gassed, fitted with electronic wriststraps, and sent to a "briefing room" on a remote island. Dreadtechu explains that the pool has been chosen to participate in the annual Battle Arena Melbourne as a result of the BAM Act, which was passed after 800,000 smashers walked out of Genesis 3 because Zelgadisu stole the pot money again. A cheerful orientation video with sick dubstep instructs the class they have three days to play smash to the death against each other until only one remains. The explosive wrist straps will kill any uncooperative students or those within daily "drop zones". Dreadtechu kills two students for failing wavedashes during the video, including Dekaru's best friend, Jaredu. Each student is provided a bag of food and water, a list of rules, 5 minutes of handwarmers, and a controller ranging in efficiency from m2k's lost fox controller to the turboshock thurstmaster firestorm after Redactu's dog has taken a piss on it.

The program's first six hours see twelve deaths, two by forfeit. Vincentu and mute transfer smasher FalcoMaster3000u soon become the most dangerous players as they learned how to wobble, while another transfer student, Samu Darrochu, seems somewhat more merciful with his Pichuu. Redactu plots to hack into the game's debug menu. Amid shifting loyalties and controller throwing, Dekaru promises to keep Skeletomu safe, because his friend (Harryu Pontingu) secretly loved him. Dekaru carries Skeletomu to a different setup after he collapses, where they encounter Caoticu, who reveals that he won a previous major in like 2005 or something, which he now seeks to win again. When Caoticu attacks with downsmash, Dekaru entrusts Redactu to protect Skeletomu and runs off because "Singles rotations of 4 people on a single setup sucks". Although saved by Spliceu, Redactu has a high percent from downsmash.

Skeletomu awakens in the tournament's Smash 4 section, bandaged by OOS pool representative Samu, who has a crush on him. Five other guys from his crew (Gordsu, Mytusu, Sykeu, Smokingu Puppyu and SAu Nicku) have also been hiding out in the building. Mytusu attempts to gimp Samu only for another guy to accidentally eat the his shine at 6%. Smokingu Puppyu is the only survivor of the resulting smash royale; despondent, he apologises to Skeletomu and commits suicide because they forgot to turn pause on. Tomu returns to Dekaru and Redactu, and they set out to find Dreadtechu. Of the seven smashers remaining, all except ZXVu are attempting or willing to subvert the game. Tedu and two others infiltrate the game's debug menu, but ZXVu finds and 4 stocks them to death. When Skeletomu, Dekaru and Redactu arrive at the hackers' burning setup, Redactu confronts and kills ZXVu, who had been flown down just to bomb out in pools with Tedu.

On the morning of the final day, Redactu, aware of the wrist strap's internal microphones, takes Skeletomu and Dekaru aside and they all agree to split the pot. Suspicious, Dreadtechu ends the tournament and dismisses the TO's, intent on personally 4 stocking the supposed victor. Dreadtechu realizes that Redactu had hacked into the game's system months beforehand, and has now disabled Dekaru and Skeletomu's stock count and timer. The three survivors confront Dreadtechu at the projector setup, and he unveils a disturbing homemade combo video of the massacred pool as cpu's tagged as players that depicts Redactu as sole survivor. He reveals that he was unable to bear the new smash games and the new smashers, having his main game rejected by the community. He confesses that he always thought of Redactu as a son and asks Redactu to kill him, but Dekaru shoots Dreadtechu after he threatens Redactu with his no shine fox. As he unplugs, Dreadtechu pauses, revealing that pause was on the whole time. As he ragequits, Dreadtechu angrily takes a call from Sakuraiu and forces him to endorse Project M.

Redactu, Dekaru and Skeletomu leave tournament because Hannah picked them up, but Redactu goes home to sleep at 9pm from all the hard work he does all day, and the extra percent he took from using crouch cancel against Caoticu – "glad" that in the end, he "found true melee players." Due to all smash games being outlawed now except Project M, Dekaru and Skeletomu are declared fugitive smashers, and are last seen on the run in the direction of EVO 2015 in hopes of a new donation drive. Dekaru gives Skeletomu a trailer for BAM7 before they run off to play friendlies.

Splice

Smash Hero
@ Shaya Shaya can you update the OP please
NSW PR is updated as of December 2014
VIC PR is updated as of January 2015

Last edited:

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
I'm not sure whether this is appropriate to mention - but would it be worth switching this thread to a general 'PR' thread considering the PRs for smash 4 are currently being made, and updating it as time goes on. Seems like a neat way to clean up the boards, and having just Melee's PRs stickied to the top feels oddly specific.

I'd make this post in the smash 4 PR's thread instead but I'd like to think it doesn't matter whether I mention it there or here. :)

Redact

Professional Nice Guy
I'm not sure whether this is appropriate to mention - but would it be worth switching this thread to a general 'PR' thread considering the PRs for smash 4 are currently being made, and updating it as time goes on. Seems like a neat way to clean up the boards, and having just Melee's PRs stickied to the top feels oddly specific.

I'd make this post in the smash 4 PR's thread instead but I'd like to think it doesn't matter whether I mention it there or here. :)
Pretty obviously its because melee is the only game that matters.

That's why it's Melbourne Melee not Melbourne Smash

81 entrants for melee at our monthly compared to the 77 for wiiu the game is dead time to move on sell ur wiiu's burn down nintendo call the cops

Splice

Smash Hero
You have a new PR in the QLD thread but this one hasn't been updated?

Kaiza

Smash Journeyman
new SA PR is ready 2 go~

Plain text SA SSBM PR May 2015:

1. SA Nick (Marth/Falco) - ▲2
2. Oli (Fox/Falco) - ▼1
3. Blackshadow (C. Falcon/Fox) - ▲2
4. Muscat (Peach) - ▲4
5. Grim (Fox/Falco/Sheik/ICs) - ▼3
6. Flow Rats (Sheik) - ▬ 0
7. Kaiza (Falco) - ▬ 0
8. Ghostbone (Jigglypuff/Fox) - ▼4
9. Scraddles (Fox) - NEW
10. Ace (Marth) - NEW

PANELISTS:
Grim, Kaiza, Blackshadow & SA Nick

I'll make an image eventually.
When deciding on PR positions, we consider not just recent wins, but consistent tournament wins over each other and interstate results. Friendlies are not considered when making this list. This PR can be used as a way to determine "Who is most likely to win a tournament" for easier interpretation.

For more comprehensive results of SA Smash tournaments go to:
http://sasmash.challonge.com/
http://safgc2015.challonge.com/

Last edited:

Splice

Smash Hero
All hail SA Nick
And with these rankings, people really will be asking "whos shakky?"

Also, Grim came back just in time to save himself a spot on the rankings?
cheeky *******

p.s I hate the way you've written out your criteria, I feel like it'd be better without the first sentence.

OninO

Smash Journeyman
I was wondering, have you guys explored algorithmic rankings like the garpr based system we use over here in NZ? The hardest part is aggregating data but it's a one off slog to get through the historical data, then getting people to submit their TioPro files or challonge brackets to whoever is in charge of the database.

Last edited:

Splice

Smash Hero
I was wondering, have you guys explored algorithmic rankings like the garpr based system we use over here in NZ? The hardest part is aggregating data but it's basically a one off slog to get through the historical data, then getting people to submit their TioPro files or challonge brackets to whoever is in charge of the database.
no because it's far less accurate than actually acknowledging a players skill
pls go

Top Bottom