• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Request Melee Squads Mode! (6-Player or 8-Player Smash)

PSIDuck

Smash Rookie
The idea basically is to play 3v3 (or 4v4 if this is even possible) on Hyrule Temple :D I saw this game mode in Smash for with the 8 Player Smash and it looked really cool. So maybe some coders can bring it to melee? I'd play it :p

SinsOfApathy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Psion312
The idea basically is to play 3v3 (or 4v4 if this is even possible) on Hyrule Temple :D I saw this game mode in Smash for with the 8 Player Smash and it looked really cool. So maybe some coders can bring it to melee? I'd play it :p
The absolute most you can have is 4 players with 2 CPUs. Would that be fine?

Last edited:

PSIDuck

Smash Rookie
no other options to run it on emulator? guess the game cant read inputs from a 5th or 6th virtual controller right? thats sad

SinsOfApathy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Psion312
no other options to run it on emulator? guess the game cant read inputs from a 5th or 6th virtual controller right? thats sad
Being on emulator doesn't add anything there. The hardware itself only supports 4 controllers, and it'd take a pretty extensive mod to pull off 6 controllers.

Crazy Hand 2001

Banned via Warnings
NNID
ForGloryOnly2014
It would be amazing if a modder could hack a wii u to support 8 players for Melee, Double Dash (2v2v2v2 on one screen), Mario Party 7 (with no controller sharing) and Super Mario Strikers.

Punkline

Dr. Frankenstack
It would be amazing if a modder could hack a wii u to support 8 players for Melee, Double Dash (2v2v2v2 on one screen), Mario Party 7 (with no controller sharing) and Super Mario Strikers.
I’m sorry, but let me explain how -- even if that were somehow possible -- it would not change anything regarding Melee’s limitations:

In this game there is a measured, unchanging section of RAM dedicated to holding a list of 6 global player structures.

Without these static player blocks, the concept of “port priority” (and many other things) wouldn’t exist, as there would be no “ports” to speak of. Without this player block index structure, the game would have have no global reference for such things; and would fail to function at a very fundamental level.

The game relies on these structures’ unchanging allocations. Each static player block in this RAM section is exactly 0xE90 bytes long, and is ordered in an index so that the base address of block 0 (P1) can reach up to the block 5 (P6) allocation using math:

BASE + (ID * 0xE90) = address of corresponding player block.

---

What this means is that, every function in the game (and, not to mention, every code out there) referencing these player blocks will do so using the above formula. Every single instruction that has been compiled to operate using information derived from these global structures is dependent on referencing this exact space in RAM, with exactly 6 allocations.

Adding new player blocks to the end of this list somehow would inevitably collide with other global data, and changing the list location would invalidate the base address known by all parts of the game that access it.

In both cases, the involved functions must all be recompiled.
All codes referencing the player block structures might become incompatible.

---

In other words, you would have to essentially rewrite the foundations of the game to make this work.

Melee has 6 player slots because it was made from the ground up to only count to 6.

Crazy Hand 2001

Banned via Warnings
NNID
ForGloryOnly2014
I’m sorry, but let me explain how -- even if that were somehow possible -- it would not change anything regarding Melee’s limitations:

In this game there is a measured, unchanging section of RAM dedicated to holding a list of 6 global player structures.

Without these static player blocks, the concept of “port priority” (and many other things) wouldn’t exist, as there would be no “ports” to speak of. Without this player block index structure, the game would have have no global reference for such things; and would fail to function at a very fundamental level.

The game relies on these structures’ unchanging allocations. Each static player block in this RAM section is exactly 0xE90 bytes long, and is ordered in an index so that the base address of block 0 (P1) can reach up to the block 5 (P6) allocation using math:

BASE + (ID * 0xE90) = address of corresponding player block.

---

What this means is that, every function in the game (and, not to mention, every code out there) referencing these player blocks will do so using the above formula. Every single instruction that has been compiled to operate using information derived from these global structures is dependent on referencing this exact space in RAM, with exactly 6 allocations.

Adding new player blocks to the end of this list somehow would inevitably collide with other global data, and changing the list location would invalidate the base address known by all parts of the game that access it.

In both cases, the involved functions must all be recompiled.
All codes referencing the player block structures might become incompatible.

---

In other words, you would have to essentially rewrite the foundations of the game to make this work.

Melee has 6 player slots because it was made from the ground up to only count to 6.
Would it apply to the other 3 games I mentioned?

Top Bottom