• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Melee Social Thread and stuff

Pingding1029

Smash Rookie
Hwy fellow smashers I'm smashed from Louisiana and I'm planning on going to Florida in July and I'm wondering how the scene is out there

SL1K

Smash Rookie
Hwy fellow smashers I'm smashed from Louisiana and I'm planning on going to Florida in July and I'm wondering how the scene is out there
yoo someones here! idk how it is down in florida but most places have a good smash scene so I would guess its good down there

Austria 2.0

Smash Rookie
NNID
Please don't.
3DS FC
1234-5678-9012
Switch FC
SW 1234 4321 1244
Today, I unlocked Ganondorf in Melee.

Since I unlocked him, time for a new look!

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
Got an Atari 2600 controller in the mail today. Getting a Genesis-Gamecube controller converter shipped in a couple days.
Now I can finally try out Single Button Melee without getting frustrated by my muscle memory pushing buttons that do nothing.

(I mean, I got it for Wii Virtual Console games and homebrew emulators, but this is a bonus. =P)

Last edited:

Kold Pizza

Smash Apprentice
It’s amazing to see Melee still being relevant after all these years. It’s been more relevant than Brawl and Smash 4.

When you get a game that is exceptional in the competitive aspect, it leaves quite an impact.

EvoLoNN

Smash Rookie

The Rhythm Theif

Smash Ace
An Apartment With Stolen Forgery Art In Paris
Switch FC
SW-2028-5151-9144
I'm surprised that this game is still alive after all these years. The only time I've played it so far is at last years Arctic Comic Con. I understand why people think it's the best Smash Bros. game ever, but from my point of view, Melee didn't and wasn't a disappointment, but there's better Smash games out there.

CbM_

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-1723-7582-5511
I'm surprised that this game is still alive after all these years. The only time I've played it so far is at last years Arctic Comic Con. I understand why people think it's the best Smash Bros. game ever, but from my point of view, Melee didn't and wasn't a disappointment, but there's better Smash games out there.
honestly, i really want to move on, but i just can´t... the memories you know?

CbM_

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-1723-7582-5511
melee is like a workout: u need to be able to use the techs in real fights... in ultimate i just have the feeling that i need to do the obvious stuff and outplay my opponent a bit. I just cant practice anything and that makes me lose interest in the game

The Rhythm Theif

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-2028-5151-9144
melee is like a workout: u need to be able to use the techs in real fights... in ultimate i just have the feeling that i need to do the obvious stuff and outplay my opponent a bit. I just cant practice anything and that makes me lose interest in the game
I understand. Once when I was playing Smash 4 online with Kirby, I got the same player over and over again, and all he did was spam Neutral B with Fox, and when I got close, he'd Forward Smash.

I was getting sick of fighting the same Fox over and over again. Sure, he used Falcon ONCE, and I wrecked him with Mario on Dream Land (64) because he was stupid enough to try and recover from UNDERNEATH THE STAGE (that only works on Kongo Jungle 64), but then he kept on using the same old "Neutral B Spam if I'm faraway and Forward Smash When I'm Up-Close" Fox.

CbM_

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-1723-7582-5511
Yeah, i can see that being annoying... i recently played against a samus that would literally only use side b and neutral b and when i got close she spammed smash attacks. In melee this wouldnt mhave been that much of a problem because moving on platforms and around them is really fun and easy, but in ultimate everything feels kinda delayed to me because u have to plan your approaches. maybe this is just me but i cant play a game like this

The Rhythm Theif

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-2028-5151-9144
Yeah, i can see that being annoying... i recently played against a samus that would literally only use side b and neutral b and when i got close she spammed smash attacks. In melee this wouldnt mhave been that much of a problem because moving on platforms and around them is really fun and easy, but in ultimate everything feels kinda delayed to me because u have to plan your approaches. maybe this is just me but i cant play a game like this
Or maybe it's because people don't know how to play Samus properly.

CaptainAnime

Smash Apprentice
I understand. Once when I was playing Smash 4 online with Kirby, I got the same player over and over again, and all he did was spam Neutral B with Fox, and when I got close, he'd Forward Smash.

I was getting sick of fighting the same Fox over and over again. Sure, he used Falcon ONCE, and I wrecked him with Mario on Dream Land (64) because he was stupid enough to try and recover from UNDERNEATH THE STAGE (that only works on Kongo Jungle 64), but then he kept on using the same old "Neutral B Spam if I'm faraway and Forward Smash When I'm Up-Close" Fox.
what does this have to do with melee? no offense, but u must be pretty bad at adapting and counterplay.

CbM_

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-1723-7582-5511
what does this have to do with melee? no offense, but u must be pretty bad at adapting and counterplay.
I agree. that was a really bad argument and it just shows that he has no real experience in smash games. but playing like that can still be annoying imo, even if you win it doesnt feel great and it makes the game slow

CaptainAnime

Smash Apprentice
I agree. that was a really bad argument and it just shows that he has no real experience in smash games. but playing like that can still be annoying imo, even if you win it doesnt feel great and it makes the game slow
yea plus playing like that doesnt even get u very far. the fox player is gonna have to learn to mix it up.

CbM_

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-1723-7582-5511
yea plus playing like that doesnt even get u very far. the fox player is gonna have to learn to mix it up.
true... you should also recognize the pattern in his play and actually DO SOMETHING AGAINST IT.
U clearly noticed that he is camping like that so why didnt u adapt?

CaptainAnime

Smash Apprentice
true... you should also recognize the pattern in his play and actually DO SOMETHING AGAINST IT.
U clearly noticed that he is camping like that so why didnt u adapt?
thats also true. in fact, adapting to the situation would actually force the fox to mix it up. so if anything, that's on him for losing to it. like for one, he could jump over the lasers. and as far as being fsmashed up close, he couldve stayed at bit of distance where the fsmash would whiff and then he can go in for a punish.

CaptainAnime

Smash Apprentice
anyway back to melee, how hype is melee gonna be at smash world tour? like the world tour is gonna be big for both games

CbM_

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-1723-7582-5511
yes, i apprechiate that they did melee, too... the thing is, they could´ve teamed up w/ nintendo and do only ultimate, and i am glad they didnt do anything like this

PolarisJunkie

Smash Apprentice
NNID
PolarisJunkie
3DS FC
0361-7305-7321
Hey everyone! I'm working on something for YouTube potentially and I could remember reading in passing that Sakurai had trouble designing Princess Peach for Melee but I cannot for the life of me find anything on this. Am I just crazy that this never happened because that could def. be a possibility lol.

Dan

Smash Lord
I think Melee is my favorite game to unlock everything in... just the perfect amount of trophies, stages, characters and event matches: it's a realizable goal but requires some work. If Nintendo implemented some type of achievement system and put it in Melee I think it would be so fun.

Last edited:

tuck :)

Smash Cadet
Slippi.gg
TUCK#214
Anybody else watch those iBDW/Hbox online friendlies where they go into really great detail about mentality and playing online? 1 2 3 4

What're your guys' thoughts on it? I think it's great stuff to see what is in the mind of top players dealing with this new format in two contrasting ways.

ScaryMunky

Smash Journeyman
Anybody else watch those iBDW/Hbox online friendlies where they go into really great detail about mentality and playing online?

What're your guys' thoughts on it? I think it's great stuff to see what is in the mind of top players dealing with this new format in two contrasting ways.
Personally I didn't watch all of them, partially because I think iBDW is mostly just trying to cash in on his recent online wins over Hbox and trying to put forth a narrative that he's ascended. Realistically speaking, Fox simply destroys Puff on paper and Hbox has had his priorities split between multiple games, while iBDW has been grinding the sh*t out of Melee.

From watching Hbox play in a recent online Melee tourney, his mentality seems to be in a bad place with the game in general. I think he would benefit from not streaming his runs (he kept complaining/johning and reacting to chat), and if he really expects or wants to do well he would need to get on a dedicated Melee grind like the rest of the players that are performing well.

tuck :)

Smash Cadet
Slippi.gg
TUCK#214
Personally I didn't watch all of them, partially because I think iBDW is mostly just trying to cash in on his recent online wins over Hbox and trying to put forth a narrative that he's ascended. Realistically speaking, Fox simply destroys Puff on paper and Hbox has had his priorities split between multiple games, while iBDW has been grinding the sh*t out of Melee.

From watching Hbox play in a recent online Melee tourney, his mentality seems to be in a bad place with the game in general. I think he would benefit from not streaming his runs (he kept complaining/johning and reacting to chat), and if he really expects or wants to do well he would need to get on a dedicated Melee grind like the rest of the players that are performing well.
Well someone's not an ibdw fan LOL.
I saw it mainly as beneficial to people who were experiencing roadblocks or not enjoying playing online as much, from the perspective of someone who's had a lot of success playing online.
Hbox's situation is different because he's having a lot of success streaming Ultimate, so I'm sure there's less of a feeling that he has to try and improve his melee results right now.

Reactions: Dan

ScaryMunky

Smash Journeyman
Well someone's not an ibdw fan LOL.
Nothing against him really, just rubbed me the wrong way how he came across with the Hbox thing. People knew Hbox had been playing Ultimate and content creating for that, and I think most players at the top level agree that Fox destroys Puff generally speaking and is her worst matchup. I sound like I'm just johning for Hbox at this point lol, but the point is I feel iBDW gave himself too much credit. At the end of the day, for someone in their shoes you gotta push your brand and get exposure so I ain't mad at it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dan

Tahjima

Smash Rookie
Slippi.gg
Amir#786
Nothing against him really, just rubbed me the wrong way how he came across with the Hbox thing. People knew Hbox had been playing Ultimate and content creating for that, and I think most players at the top level agree that Fox destroys Puff generally speaking and is her worst matchup. I sound like I'm just johning for Hbox at this point lol, but the point is I feel iBDW gave himself too much credit. At the end of the day, for someone in their shoes you gotta push your brand and get exposure so I ain't mad at it.
Ngl not a fan of Hbox

Top Bottom