• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Melee Social Thread and stuff

Chainz

Sleepy Chainz
Premium
3DS FC
1075-1816-9029
Seeing top players come back to Smashboards would be nice. But like Alpha mentioned they're looking for business opportunities and SB just doesn't supply that. Whether or not this will change in the future is up to him and his team.

I'm mainly talking about the average competitive Melee player. What would bring them back? I'm kinda skeptic that having a discord channel would work. Maybe temporary but I don't see it in the long run. It's not bringing people to the site but instead being another smash discord when there's quite a few already that are well established.

The site is just having a slow moment like it has many times before. Discussion will pick up eventually whether it be site changes, new smash game, community changes who knows but it will happen in time again.

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Fortress | Sveet Fortress | Sveet

Regarding search: the Smash competitive community, while big, is still dwarfed substantially by the larger casual base who simply own the game and play for fun. Smashboards offers a lot of answers to one-off questions because of its decade+ of historical knowledge that these users (and the core) will more likely find here than elsewhere - especially Facebook since FB discussions are often either account login gated or group gated.

Much of the current functionality and feature set Smashboards has is due to the huge help of @Warchamp7 - we are always open to ideas on improving the site.

Chainz Chainz

Having a Discord presence is similar to having a presence on Twitter or Facebook, and in both cases Smashboards has a significant size following that directs some traffic to Smashboards. As Discord has continued to grow (quickly) it's shown it's not just going to go away. I was hesitant to create a presence there for the same reason you mentioned, but in doing so likely missed the opportunity to create a centralized Smash discord instead of the fragmentation that exists now. The potential benefit for Smashboards is awareness of the site as a resource and ability to direct some traffic vs. ignoring the new platform and having the chance of that be zero.

Sempai

Smash Ace
I dont know if this has been covered, but is there a way to implement an instant messenger on Smashboards? No doubt this would be a large undertaking.

I know people have complained about that over the years, which is one of things that makes fb so good. But where fb falls short is the lack of archive power, which smashboards does have.

Either way I always redirect people to smashboards whenever I answer a question or get into a discussion about smash. We have a strong history just need to keep up with the times I suppose.

Qwerty2084

Smash Cadet
Slippi.gg
QTY#396
I dont know if this has been covered, but is there a way to implement an instant messenger on Smashboards? No doubt this would be a large undertaking.
Like a DM system to send messages to individual/groups of people?

EmptyNess

Smash Cadet
sadly i doubt that smashboards will make a true comeback because reddit already has all the traffic and scrubs and twitter is the only place top players go on besides streams

why would they talk about things on a forum when they have their own stream and twitter

it sucks and i hate both those mediums but following the path of least resistance there just isn't the incentive for most people to use smashboards over anything else

Vega$

Smash Rookie
I find the location of my first melee tournament thru smashboards.com, it definitely has a unique purpose in my mind.

PF9

Smash Lord
The characters you fought in each All-Star Match in Melee all had something in common.

ASM 1 - Starter Mario Characters
ASM 2 - Starter "realistic stars" (as coined by this game)
ASM 3 - Starter "cute characters" (each of the characters you fought in this match could be considered cute)
ASM 4 - Non-Clone Secret Characters (all of these unlockables were non-clones or in one case, a Luigified clone, in the context of Smash, though Mewtwo was a clone in the context of his original franchise, though that doesn't really matter much here)
ASM 5 - Clone Secret Characters (these were the unlockables that were clones of another character, one of which, Roy was a clone of another unlockable)

As far as the "realistic stars", this is a term coined by this game for characters who come from games that are more realistic and less cartoonish. In Melee, starter characters that fell in this category (and who you fought in All-Star Match 2) were Link, Samus, Captain Falcon, Fox, and Zelda. The secret characters that fell in this category were Marth, Roy, Ganondorf, Falco and Young Link, The "realistic stars" could be further divided - Medieval fantasy characters Link, Young Link, Zelda, Ganondorf, Marth and Roy, and science fiction characters Captain Falcon, Fox, Falco and Samus.

Nohbl

Smash Journeyman
Hungrybox vs Crush - GOML 2018 - Melee Winners Quarter Finals
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aa5S0zbYznE
Homemadewaffles: "But Hungrybox, actually picking Fountain! Something you never see my man ever, ever do." (15:59)

For the record, Hungrybox asked Crush @15:04 if they could go back to Battlefield; Crush thought about it for a moment, but then said "No." (15:06) Only other not-picked-already option was to go to Yoshi's Story---like Hbox is picking that⸮

Vega$

Smash Rookie
its up to you. I prefer only smashboards as a place for melee discussion.

Nohbl

Smash Journeyman
Crush's Twitter became inaccessible over the weekend.
Wizzrobe and Zain had another Genesis 5 set at CEO.
CEO's tournament organizers let Melee's Top 8 start 1 and a half hours late.
Leffen had what many are hailing as one of the best sets in Dragon Ball Fighterz's history against GO1 at CEO.
Mew2King walked out to a Naruto theme.

Nohbl

Smash Journeyman
Llod just took The Even Bigger Balc over SFAT and S2J, with The Moon in attendance too.
Must've been all the PM practice.

smashingDoug

Smash Lord
I remember a friend said I sucked cause I used the c stick... so I stopped useing it find out everyone uses it.
only got told that so I could maybe lose more then one or two games.

Can’t pickup melee anymore had my fun but I’m saying goodbye to melee

Chainz

Sleepy Chainz
Premium
3DS FC
1075-1816-9029
Ayyyy haven't posted on this site in a long time!

Pretty much throw in the towel months ago after college life ended and work life started. Might pick it up again when work slows down.

Chainz

Sleepy Chainz
Premium
3DS FC
1075-1816-9029
Salutations Melee boards! Hope everyone is well. This place is such a ghost town now.
Ikr? It sucks, Hopefully when the new Smash game comes out it'll probably bring a small population boost to all the other community threads. Usually how the cycle goes.

Vega$

Smash Rookie
Ikr? It sucks, Hopefully when the new Smash game comes out it'll probably bring a small population boost to all the other community threads. Usually how the cycle goes.
Melee will be closer to the status of 64, oh happy days.

Chainz

Sleepy Chainz
Premium
3DS FC
1075-1816-9029
Chilling like a villain, yourself?
Bored at work lol.

Other than that, working on my art! And playing some Melee when I can. Binge played on Netplay against some dude in California. Dude's play style was definitely in the advanced class. Took a few games off him. Held my ground pretty good for someone who hasn't really played in months lol.

Top Bottom